Home
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
So a few weeks back I cut a tree down for my buddy's neighbor. Wasn't a hard job, about a 30 foot oak tree, felled it and cut it up and hauled it out of his yard. He's an older guy, uses a walker, can't get around so good anymore. Was happy to help him out.

So today, was out running errands and got back home and there was a paper grocery bag on my front steps. Nice thank you note and a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Im not knowledgeable about Scotch at all. Have had Balvenie, some Glenfiddich and something else I cant remember that tasted like Canadian whiskey.

I like a good bourbon, rye. Rum n coke, when I'm not drinkin Busch Light.

So I finally relax for the evening and pour some of this Laphroaig.

WTF???

How do they manage to make liquid campfire mixed with cough medicine mixed with salt flat???

Do people actually drink this on purpose??
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Yes people drink it.

It's how you virtue signal in the booze world.
Posted By: fester Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Nice gesture! Pour it over some ice. Enjoy!
Posted By: Morewood Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
It's an acquired taste.
Posted By: jameister Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
you will need to get past the first impression that someone wiped an ash tray with your laphroig.

the third and fourth tasting will get past that, unless you are a smoker, in which case your first taste is like putting the wrong end of your cigarette in your mouth.

been there done that.

a bottle shared is a friend made.

if your remember.

come on by.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Lol yeah, it’s certainly acquired. My technique is let it rest on the ice for a few minutes. It’s peaty for sure. Complemented with a latakia based tobacco pipe, it’s a delicacy.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Not a smoker

Enjoy a lip full of skoal once in awhile

Would honestly rather drink a spit cup than have more of this Laphroaig abomination

I certainly appreciate the gesture of free booze, it was totally not necessary.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Only real men can drink the sexual excretions of the female Bandersnatch in heat.
Posted By: Remsen Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
I love it, mostly because I smoked for 20 years and still crave smokiness.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
One of the peatyest Scotchs out there, highly regarded by dedicated scotch drinkers. An acquired taste for sure.
Posted By: mathman Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Don't desecrate that fine whisky with ice. That's straight sippin' whisky. Wussies need not apply. It ain't rum and coke sweet shit for teenagers.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by mathman
Don't desecrate that fine whisky with ice. That's straight sippin' whisky. Wussies need not apply. It ain't rum and coke sweet shit for teenagers.

I once had a drink with Booker Noe III, of Bookers’s fame. He had his best single malt with a finger of water and 3 cubes of ice.

He said- it’s whiskey- not holy water… drink it how you like.
Posted By: WAM Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
It’s typical peaty whisky from Islay. My brother said it tasted like a burnt down ghetto house smells. I enjoyed it. Lagavulin is another good Islay scotch if that’s your thing.
Posted By: kingston Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Keep drinking it and it'll make sense.
Posted By: kingston Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by WAM
It’s typical peaty whisky from Islay. My brother said it tasted like a burnt down ghetto house smells. I enjoyed it. Lagavulin is another good Islay scotch if that’s your thing.

I'm gonna send Conrad a bottle of Lagavulin for Christmas.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Run to the bush lite Carol Anne.......
Posted By: bluefish Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Too smoky for me. I prefer the Highlands myself.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by bluefish

If I’m drinking scotch, this is my preference also.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
It's in my top 4 favorites.
Sip, don't drink.
Posted By: viking Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Only real men can drink the sexual excretions of the female Bandersnatch in heat.

Damn near spit my coffee out.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
My relatives, the Celts of Scotland.

To stop the growing process of the barley, they heat the grain with peat smoke. My brother loves this booze. I can't stand the smell of it.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
I have tried it. I thought it was smokey but good.
Posted By: gwrench Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by 280shooter
It's in my top 4 favorites.
Sip, don't drink.

Agreed. I'll add that a tiny bit of water goes well with cask strength scotch.
Posted By: Steve Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67

Especially the Peat Bog Bandersnatch.
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Originally Posted by bluefish

If I’m drinking scotch, this is my preference also.

Speyside's are my preference with Glenfarclas my fave. The 25yo is amazing.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
An acquired taste?

My great Great Grandfather was from Scotland, and I seem to have acquired my tastes for fine smokey Scotch from my bloodlines.

Laphroaig is a fine treat for me!

Virgil B.
We used to have a floating Scotch tasting party with friends. Some times we'd have 30-40 bottles of good single malts to try. You learned pretty quick not to start off with the Islays if you wanted to taste anything else the rest of the night.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Laphroig is one of my favorites. Your neighbor has good taste 😉
Posted By: strikeu Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
send it to me....
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Laphroig is one of my favorites, but the only spirit i drink over ice. Its not a drink for the unseasoned in any way
Once you've put a bunch of water and three cubes of ice in that "best single malt" you may as well have used something basic like Famous Grouse or Cutty Sark.

Horses for courses.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
The "acquired taste" thing seems variable from person to person. I loved peaty Scotch from the first sip, as did a friend of mine. I like Laphroaig, but have others I like better, like Ardgeg 10 and Lagavulin 16.
Posted By: Borchardt Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
I'll take Old Grandad Bonded
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My relatives, the Celts of Scotland.

To stop the growing process of the barley, they heat the grain with peat smoke. My brother loves this booze. I can't stand the smell of it.
There are some videos out there about making Islay whisky and the fact the nasty bog water used produces the most peat flavor. Still my favorite.
Originally Posted by Wrapids
The "acquired taste" thing seems variable from person to person. I loved peaty Scotch from the first sip, as did a friend of mine. I like Laphroaig, but have others I like better, like Ardgeg 10 and Lagavulin 16.

It sure is.

A friend of mine didn't care for any single malt scotch we tried. On a "what the heck" impulse I poured him a taste of the standard 10 year old Laphroaig and he liked it right away. After that he began to enjoy more and more of the ones he didn't like before.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
I like the Crown Royal of Scotch, Chivas Regal
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Once you've put a bunch of water and three cubes of ice in that "best single malt" you may as well have used something basic like Famous Grouse or Cutty Sark.
LOL! You can't be serious. Cutty Sark... LOL!
Originally Posted by 1911a1

So you're saying Chivas is the over advertised, weak sauce for the brand conscious among blended Scotch drinkers?
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Sure, for ice and water duty.

Besides those two it could be Johnnie Red, Dewars, et cetera.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22

Truth ..... I like FG, btw.

Sure, for ice and water duty.

Besides those two it could be Johnnie Red, Dewars, et cetera.
Maybe 90:1 water:Cutty makes it good. laugh
Famous Grouse has a better flavor profile for Scotch & Soda than does single malt.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Yes people drink it.

Exactly perfect way of explaining it.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Yes people drink it.

Some folks indulge in the other direction of virtue signaling.

"Oh, I can't be a snob 'cause I like cheap stuff"

"Anybody that claims to have any semblance of a refined palate is a fake, poser snob"
Posted By: antlers Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by LoadClear
I once had a drink with Booker Noe III, of Bookers’s fame. He had his best single malt with a finger of water and 3 cubes of ice. He said- it’s whiskey- not holy water… drink it how you like.
word
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Yes people drink it.

"Anybody that claims to have any semblance of a refined palate is a fake, poser snob"

I don't like fakers of either genre but if it tastes like gasoline I ain't drinking it.
Famous Grouse has a better flavor profile for Scotch & Soda than does single malt.

I just put in a splash of water, no cubes. Will buy Teachers as well.
Posted By: las Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
In th Bush, it's R&R for the win..... smile.

A friend /co-worker bought his father some very expensive good scotch for his 70th birthday. One taste, and the bottle went back on the shelf and the old man returned to what he had been drinking for 55 years - Cutty Sark. He didn't like the good stuff.....
Posted By: Frank_K Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Perhaps you're missing the point. Good or bad, to your taste or not, it is an expensive whiskey. Perhaps the old gent just wanted to say thanks and picked it up by price, probably something he wouldn't have afforded for himself.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Ha Ha: Islay scotch, heavy smoke and peat. Lots of smooth flavors rolled into it once you get used to it.

Send it here, I’ll drink it.

You were probably expecting Speyside or Highland scotch which is closer to Canadian or Irish whisky.
Posted By: shootem Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22

Famous Grouse has a dark sister as well. It’s the smoky Black Grouse, to see if that bit of change attracts you. Try them side by side. It won’t leave your wallet light. But leave the soda shelved. Never could understand the attraction.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22

Horses for courses.
Lol damn harsh
Posted By: shinbone Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Taste is highly personal so there's no wrong or right answer. However, Laphroaig is highly sought after due to the range of taste it offers. Lots of great complex flavors in every sip. It certainly is intense, and probably not the best "starter" scotch, although it is what I started on. I prefer to mix it 50/50 with good ice cold water, which brings out the subtle flavors. Again, no ice, and be sure the water itself is high quality so it doesn't adulterate the scotch. Nothing better than sitting by a fire in the evening and nursing some Laphroaig. Especially when it is snowing outside.

By gifting Laphroaig, oak-tree-guy was showing you his extreme appreciation for your help. The gift not being the scotch so much by itself, but the opportunity to expand your palette into a new pleasure.

Again, taste is personal etc., but if a person feels the need to add a flavorant to his scotch, that scotch wasn't that good to begin with (or the person just doesn't like scotch). But, whatever; just like rifle cartridges, "shoot what'cha like."

If I was close, I'd happily take it off your hands.

JMHO
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
If you have to acquire a taste for it, that's double speak for tastes like sh itt. Why bother.
Posted By: robertham1 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
I’ve tried scotch a few times. Cheap and expensive. It’s just not for me.

I think in order to acquire the taste for scotch you have to have a Medicare card.
Posted By: shinbone Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
If you have to acquire a taste for it, that's double speak for tastes like sh itt. Why bother.

There's lots of things in life that take some practice to get good at. Tasting things is one of them.

Life is richer when you make the effort to fully participate.
Posted By: fester Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Can’t say I have ever complained about a drink or bottle
bought for me. I never b itched about a smoke I have bummed
either.
Originally Posted by shinbone

There's lots of things in life that take some practice to get good at. Tasting things is one of them.

If we all thought that way, all we'd ever eat is pablum and all we'd drink is milk & water.
Posted By: Westman Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Ha Ha: Islay scotch, heavy smoke and peat. Lots of smooth flavors rolled into it once you get used to it.

Any scotch from Islay rocks but Lagavulin 16 and Bowmore are the cream of the crop.
Yes people drink it.

I agree... a poseur is a poseur.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Truth ..... I like FG, btw.
I like Famous Grouse just because it has the Alaska State Bird on the bottle...
Originally Posted by las

A friend /co-worker bought his father some very expensive good scotch for his 70th birthday. One taste, and the bottle went back on the shelf and the old man returned to what he had been drinking for 55 years - Cutty Sark. He didn't like the good stuff.....
R&R
40,000 Alaska Natives can't be wrong!
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I'll take Old Grandad Bonded

My dad once told me UNC had a football announcer that sometimes ended a broadcast with, "so long folks, I'm headed to the parking lot, gotta family reunion with my old grandad "

I like old grandad myself as well.

If we all thought that way, all we'd ever eat is pablum and all we'd drink is milk & water.
Some people put ketchup on good steak. I think those folk wouldn't like scotch either.
Posted By: strikeu Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22

blended scotch is horrible, clean your truck tires with that crap
Originally Posted by strikeu

I currently have two blends in my collection that put the lie to that blanket assertion.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Famous Grouse I like.

I am sure it's blended.
It is a nice basic blend.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
If I were you I'd sip it slow and see if you liked it...if not keep it in the cupboard. You'll eventually have a friend come along who likes that brand and will appreciate it during the visit.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Surprised he brought you a bottle of Laproaig. While it is a nice single malt, it is rather peaty, which is definitely an acquired taste, as others here have stated. More geared toward the die-hard single malt enthusiast. I would think a bottle of Macallan 12 or The Balvenie 12 would be more appropriate since he didn't know your taste.
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22

Well thanks for that pearl. I'm still gonna pass.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Originally Posted by strikeu

I currently have two blends in my collection that put the lie to that blanket assertion.

I have another blended scotch that I can't make up my mind about. It's called Monkey Shoulder. It has a wang to it I can't describe. I think its the malt in it.
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
Islay. No thanks.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22

Thank you eaglemountainman. That peat-smoked booze tastes like sh*it.

Apologies to all my Celtic cousins in Scotland, but, where did we go wrong? Give me some Makers Mark.*

*Also made by Irish and Scottish Celts in Kentucky. Where did we go wrong?
Posted By: EIB0879 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/22/22
I drink single malts mostly. I like JW Gold, 18, and Blue. I really like Gold label which is predominately Clynelish so I just bought a 14 year Clynelish single malt. It is better.

I drank JW Black Label for years with ice but now it is a mixer for me. I can't drink it straight.
Posted By: WAM Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by las

LOL on the R&R! Lord only knows why that is a hunt camp favorite. Maybe the plastic bottle or sheer volume to dollar ratio? One of my 3 hunting groups brings good whisky to camp to celebrate kills and fellowship, another brings R&R, flavored whisky and or Fireball to camp. The third is a bunch of teetotalers. Different strokes….

My dad, who had enough money to burn a wet mule later in life, drank Cutty Sark. I never saw another scotch in his house, but he would sure help me out on a Macallan when I brought it over. Then right back to the Cutty.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Question .... When adding water (no ice), what ratio does everyone use?

I use 2 parts FG, 1 part cold water for a sipper.
Posted By: hanco Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Can’t go Scotch, like Jack and coke
Posted By: horse1 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
A friend's nephew gave him a bottle of Laphroaig as a thank-you for something. So, one evening we open the bottle. The conclusion was that the liquid they started with for distilling was the sweat off of an old Caribou Bull's balls.

Pretty sure the bottle is still in the cupboard with but 2 small drinks poured out.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Can’t go Scotch, like Jack and coke
If all you've ever had is something like Cutty, I can see why. But when you get a low-peat Scotch, especially one over 10 years old, it has a smoothness that anyone would love.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22

THIS...And it's PUSSIES
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
If you like Laphroig, you’ll love Lagavullin.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22

This.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
If you've pretending you are a big wheeler......single malt all the way.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Of course some prefer sweet corn whiskey mixed with high fructose corn syrup and water, with an insulin chaser.
Posted By: mathman Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
If you've pretending you are a big wheeler......single malt all the way.

That's of the form "A implies B".

Would you also say "B implies A"?
Roll on big wheeler.....
No big wheeler here, I'm pretty low budget. I guess it's beyond your comprehension that a regular guy can be blessed (cursed?) with a palate capable of discerning and appreciating spirits beyond the mundane.
No big wheeler here, I'm pretty low budget. I guess it's beyond your comprehension that a regular guy can be blessed (cursed?) with a palate capable of discerning and appreciating spirits beyond the mundane.

Hahaha!

No no....continue to call everyone else a sissy and their choices "mundane".

That is definitely not big wheeler behavior........hahaha!
Posted By: shaman Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
KYHillChick loves Laphroaig. It's her favorite. In fact, I bought her a 1'X1' plot in the Laphroaig flowage. Me? Remember, I'm the guy who likes Scoresby. However Laphroaig is high on my list as well. Yes, I agree, it is kind of like sucking on peat moss, but that's not a bad thing.

Laphroaig deserves to be hit straight or maybe with 3 drops of the branch.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Interesting story behind single malts and it's supposed exclusivity. As it turns out, back in the 1700s when whisky started to get "refined", the blended whiskys were the purview of the upper classes whilst single malts were drunk primarily by the lower classes. Apparently it was more labor intensive and thus more expensive, to concoct the right blends. Speaking of which, Johnny Walker 15 year old is my favorite because it uses Talisker as one if it's ingredients.

Hahaha!

No no....continue to call everyone else a sissy and their choices "mundane".

That is definitely not big wheeler behavior........hahaha!

It's called friendly ball busting, like what gets said with a smile at the deer camp. At my camp there are guys who could buy and sell me ten times with their pocket change. I rag on the Canadian whiskey they drink.
Then how come you get defensive when I give you shìt Mr Vanderbilt?
You fire one over the bow, so I fire one over the bow. Conversations are two directional. It's part of the fun Captain Blue Collar.
You flatter me.

Captain No Collar more likely.

I drank a bottle of Old Forrester 114 last week.

It was okay. I think I like OGD BIB better.
Part of a bottle of OGD BIB sits front row in my collection. Very enjoyable, and the fact that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg makes it even better for me.
I'll also say I find Bourbon and Rye to be better value for money than Scotch. The entry price for Scotch I'll sip straight is about twice that of Bourbon.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Try Octomore.
Posted By: immature Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Laphroaig isn't shy about their flavor profile. The 10 yo bottle label used to state "dividing opinions since 1815". BTW, I like it, more so in cool weather, neat with maybe a few drops of water.
With a cigar, while sitting near the fire.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Laphroaig?? - 05/23/22
Originally Posted by Morewood
It's an acquired taste.
Usually means it's not good, until the fourth glass.
© 24hourcampfire