Home
here is an off the wall question...

My Dad was a big time bicycle rider in the 1960s before it was cool for grown men to ride bikes. He worked for Clearwater Parks & Rec and lead a bicycle club that would do rides all over the state of Florida. He was an early member of the League of American Wheelmen (LAW). In 1966 or 67 Schwinn game him a Super Sport 10 speed as recognition. I have had his bike it since he had to quit riding in the 1970s and my folks moved into an apartment. He died in 1989. I can't ride a bike due to ankle injury.

What do I do with this bike? I don't want to just give it to Goodwill. I don't care if I get any money for it, I'd like to get it into the hands of some that would appreciate its history and what a state of the art bike it was for the 1960s. It is still in pretty good shape.

Any ideas?

Thanks
S.H.
Look for vintage bike collectors or clubs here on the intertube.
Probably worth more than you think.

Maybe there is a museum to donate to.
Birdwatcher ,

Maybe he would enjoy it, he's a hardcore cyclist.
Tell me it's yellow and has aluminum rims.
Soooooo….your dad is responsible for all the bikes on the road today? Now I know who blame for my next road rage.

BTW: I have no idea what to do with it, but it’s cool that it’s still around and you got it.
Look up who was in the club and see if someone noteworthy would like to have it. It is probably worth some bucks. Does the club still exist?
Originally Posted by JeffA

That era was almost certainly chrome steel rims.
If I remember correctly, the Super Sport was one model down from the Paramount, which was Schwinn's top of the line bike at the time and quite expensive.
It may not be worth a lot of money but I would think someone who is interested in classic bikes might be interested.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by JeffA

That era was almost certainly chrome steel rims.

My late 60 yellow super sport came with aluminum rims

I rode it to school most days in Clearwater FL
Originally Posted by SuburbanHunter
here is an off the wall question...

My Dad was a big time bicycle rider in the 1960s before it was cool for grown men to ride bikes. He worked for Clearwater Parks & Rec and lead a bicycle club that would do rides all over the state of Florida. He was an early member of the League of American Wheelmen (LAW). In 1966 or 67 Schwinn game him a Super Sport 10 speed as recognition. I have had his bike it since he had to quit riding in the 1970s and my folks moved into an apartment. He died in 1989. I can't ride a bike due to ankle injury.

What do I do with this bike? I don't want to just give it to Goodwill. I don't care if I get any money for it, I'd like to get it into the hands of some that would appreciate its history and what a state of the art bike it was for the 1960s. It is still in pretty good shape.

Any ideas?

Thanks
S.H.

Run an internet search on bicycle museums. You might find one in your area. There are also bicycle themed bars, cafes and coffee shops that might have a good home for it.
So Schwinn called it Kool Lemon

Featuring 3-piece aluminum alloy crank set, chrome molybdenum frame... lightweight yet strong, 10-speed wide range rear derailleur, a wide range 5-gear cluster- a gear range of 32- to - 104 Large flange quick release hubs, chrome plated spokes, aluminum rims, new high pressure Schwinn H.P Le Tour tires.
Colors: Kool Lemon, Sunset Orange, and Opaque Blue.
https://thecabe.com/forum/
Donate it to that Sports Illustrated gal Yumi Nu, she could use the exercise.......
I had a bike shop in the 70's. I would have loved to have an old bike of the same brand I was selling. Check with a local Schwinn dealer. They might make you a reasonable offer to have it for display.

BP...
I’d take it to a nearby cycle shop and see what they say. Check auction prices first, though.
Thanks! The Schwinn dealer is a great idea as is the classic bike clubs.

This one is green. I'll take a post a picture in a day or so when the snow is gone.

JEffA I went to Bellaire Elementary School and Oak Grove Jr High through through 7th grade in Clearwater in the 60s.
Road my bike to school everyday.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Donate it to that Sports Illustrated gal Yumi Nu, she could use the exercise.......

lololol

This one is green. I'll take a post a picture in a day or so when the snow is gone.

JEffA I went to Bellaire Elementary School and Oak Grove Jr High through through 7th grade in Clearwater in the 60s.

Oh man, that green. When I was a boy, I used to ride my trashed out bicycle across town and stare at the green Schwinn Super Sport in the bicycle/lawn mower shop window and dream about taking a long trip on it.
Give it to Paul!

I was in the first year of school integration.
Lived in Seminole, could see Seminole High out the back door.

They sent me to Largo Jr high off Oakhurst road for 7th and 8th grade. Had to import us whites to get the mix right.

I rode down the beaches to get there, over Indian Rocks Bridge, all the way to the Cleawater Bridge, cut to the right just after the bridge and came out by the Clearwater court house. Took various routes from there over to Oakhurst Road then back to the south to the school.

We were going split sessions so classes didn't start until noon.
Nice long beach ride every day...
Took the short route home, only about 5 miles.

Great bike, I'd bought it used in 71-72?
Originally Posted by kingston
Give it to Paul!

If he was nearby, I would have made an offer on it!
FWIW, Schwinn has been bought and sold a few time through the years. They are no longer a specialty shop brand, but rather a big box and internet brand.
I had the Huffy with GI Joe paint scheme
What probably kills the value of those old Schwinns is they were everywhere, tons of them sold.

I never saw another Super Sport like mine during those days.

Went through tires like crazy, put lots of miles on those gum walls
Check out "Bike Forum " there is a Classic/Vintage section...they would be able to give you an idea of what it's worth.
Maybe hang it on a wall for art? I’ve seen some neat bike artwork. Since this has sentimental value your enjoyment would be greater.
I had a yellow super sport in high school. Lots of miles on that seat.
© 24hourcampfire