Home
Fathom Events ...Bringing Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’ Back to Theaters for 40th Anniversary in June! Break out the younens !
And scare the s*** out of them !
I seen it on the big screen back in the day, in the winter time to .... it was rough getting back to the car to go home!
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I saw it back in the day, still occasionally have nightmares about it.
Originally Posted by slumlord

That’s the wrong “Thing” wink

This is the right one. Skip to 2:20.
I remember the 1951-version "The Thing from Another World". Our parents were out, we were watched by our paternal Grandma while she was watching the film. I was ten, my sister seven years old. Grandma was later scolded by our Father because of my nightmares. My sister didn't have that problem.
Posted By: DBT Re: The Thing , back in theaters ! - 05/23/22
Better than most of the crap they are producing now.
One of the best horror movies ever made.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

A Wilford Brimley meltdown is not soon forgotten.
In the original black and white movie version Gunsmoke's James Arness played the monster
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
In the original black and white movie version Gunsmoke's James Arness played the monster

And the movie sucked!
“Hey Sweden”!!! “They’re Norwegians Mac”. 🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: g5m Re: The Thing , back in theaters ! - 05/23/22

At that time that was one scary movie for a little kid.
There have been three such movies made, all (to one extent or another) based on a science fiction short story titled "Who Goes There," by John W. Campbell. That's a great read, by the way. I've read it several times over. Always chilling.

There's a short story based on "Who Goes There," (titled The Things ) also, that takes the same exact story line, but tells it from the viewpoint of the alien. That's a great read, too.

The above reminds me that there's another great read for fans of Beowulf, written from the perspective of Grendel, the monster who was eventually defeated and killed by Beowulf. Well worth a read. Short book.
I read it in a book many years ago. This movie brought it out very close to how I imagined it.

kwg
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
I remember the 1951-version "The Thing from Another World". Our parents were out, we were watched by our paternal Grandma while she was watching the film. I was ten, my sister seven years old. Grandma was later scolded by our Father because of my nightmares. My sister didn't have that problem.

Frankenstein was the one that got to me. Saw it when I was 5 at the show then later on that night was convinced "F" was gonna pop out of the closet and get me. Went and crawled in bed with one of my older sisters where she promptly gave me a good shot in the kidney with her knee and pushed me out of bed on to the floor. Frank could have taken lessons from that girl.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I've had a few of those nightmares, too. One I remember very clearly.

The Thing had almost completely absorbed humanity and all life on earth. Myself and my dog were among the remaining few still not absorbed, and there were several harrowing scenes of us making close escapes.

Then suddenly the scene shifted to the bridge of Darth Vader's Star Destroyer.

[Linked Image from lumiere-a.akamaihd.net]

Vader was advised by a junior officer at a control panel that the location of the creature he had been seeking had been discovered. It was currently, Darth was informed by the officer, on a small blue planet, third from its star (Earth). The camera shifted to Darth Vader issuing the command in an ominous voice, "Navigate a course to Earth," along with an appropriate Imperial musical accompaniment. Then I woke up.
I loved that as a kid in the 1960s, and enjoyed it as an adult a couple of times, too. Loved the M1 Carbines and 1911 pistols on display, too. I was a gun nut nearly from infancy.
Yep.
Originally Posted by deflave

And the movie sucked!
No, it was actually great by 1950s standards. Still very watchable. A classic, although only very loosely based on Who Goes There. They didn't have the movie technology to make monsters like depicted in Campbell's short story back then.
Originally Posted by Gristle
Originally Posted by slumlord

That’s the wrong “Thing” wink
That Thing would get his punk azz handed to him...
Yeah, I've read all the books listen to the shows that I can about the thing.......watch it on my 75" Sony in sround sound..... the one about who goes there the short story where the monster/ the view from the monster is pretty badass. ...A few times a year that helicopter circles my living room !
Watch the director's cut sometime, John Carpenter tell you what they were doing and how they did it . Couple ways to tell who's a monster and who's not >dark eyes and clothing changed , then the missed editing , drinks that refill , and the pool room the monster swallow that guy 1/2 way...the monsters wearing jeans and a t shirt ..lol
Both versions were great- for the times they were made. I liked the James Arness one because the characters had rapport and joked and seemed real. Better than most cookie cutter monster flicks back then.

I took my girlfriend to see Carpenter's at the dollar movie ( hey big spender)...and the opening scene where they were trying to shoot the dog had her wimpering...

Great flick. Russel showed he was good.
I've seen all 3 and the one starring Kurt Russel was the best one but watching that dudes head sprout legs and run around like some kind of spider was hilarious, took a hell of an imagination to come up with that one.
The original "The Thing" was the first movie that played at our brand new drive-in theater, 1951 I think, maybe 1952. I was 11-12 at the time. Conned my dad into taking me, he thought it was stupid, I thought it was the greatest movie I ever saw.
Saw it in theater, knew nothing of what to come.
Dogs face split and I was WTF?

Had me squirmin LOL
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by deflave

And the movie sucked!
No, it was actually great by 1950s standards. Still very watchable. A classic, although only very loosely based on Who Goes There. They didn't have the movie technology to make monsters like depicted in Campbell's short story back then.

That's horseschit.

A movie is timeless or it isn't.

The Kurt Russell version is. The original is not.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Saw it in theater, knew nothing of what to come.
Dogs face split and I was WTF?

Had me squirmin LOL
Seen how they made that ... mold of the inside of the dogs, mouth then using the top half , made a bunch of them then put them in the form of a flower pedel ! Good chit !
That House episode with Mira Sorvino always reminds me of "The Thing" for some reason. Great movie that would be worth a trip to the theater. I have the two DVD set somewhere around here.
The Killer Shrews gave me the willies…

That's a great movie, one of my favorites of all time.
Saw it many years ago, wasn’t worth a damn then
Classic!
I preferred "The Swamp Thing" 1982.

The monsters were loosely contained within Adrienne Barbeau's T-shirt.
😨🤔🤫
The above reminds me that there's another great read for fans of Beowulf, written from the perspective of Grendel, the monster who was eventually defeated and killed by Beowulf. Well worth a read. Short book.

John Gardner. Excellent book.
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan

John Gardner. Excellent book.
Yep. That's it. I couldn't put it down.
© 24hourcampfire