Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Inflatable camper shells - 05/23/22
Does anyone know anything about these things? Unfortunately, they don't make one for a long bed pickup which is what I'd need. They look interesting, though.

Posted By: 22250rem Re: Inflatable camper shells - 05/23/22
Interesting concept and one I've never seen or heard of. just wondering about things like price and air tightness. it would be rough if even a tiny air leak were to develop somewhere. Thanks for posting.
Should work well. I've tried to kill enough whitewater boats to know how tough they are...and once I had a 24' jet boat high and dry, I lifted the boat with a ski tube and a 12v air pump.

The power of pressure is awesome....durability will be the key.
For long term use, UV resistance would be a major factor. Very few synthetics can hold up to our high desert sunshine.
I kept my aire raft in the sun for 10 years with a religious application of 303 and it was still in near perfect shape when it sold.

I'm guessing the boys in Boise choose better materials....but there's hope. I agree it's not a permanent solution. My concern would be pressure modulation with temperatures. When blazing hot followed by a temp droo and rain.
I'd like a shell mainly for winter use. During the summer, it would be off most of the time because I haul my RZR around in it.
Looks like they cost around 2 grand. For that I would just buy a regular topper. Unless weight was a huge issue. They are very light.
Posted By: pal Re: Inflatable camper shells - 05/23/22
For the same money I'll stick with my sensible work shell that provides at least some theft protection for those times I'd rather not have my gear stolen.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: wytex Re: Inflatable camper shells - 05/23/22
These are very popular up here.

https://softopper.com/
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Inflatable camper shells - 05/23/22
Might work until they slice the side and take your goodies. I'm not a fan of that type anything for security. I know locks only keep honest people out, lots of dishonest around nowdays! YMMV
I'm not concerned with weight but how easy it is to remove. A soft top folds up in the front of the bed and that's space I can't lose.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Inflatable camper shells - 05/23/22
ARE, produces some nice truck caps, of all styles, they are built hell for stout. and they look nice. Rio7
© 24hourcampfire