Home
Blue Fender Mustang 1969 vintage.

https://www-cbsnews-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/kurt-cobain-guitar-auction-smells-like-teen-spirit-video-sold-4-million-jim-irsay-collection/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#aoh=16534225121770&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2Fnews%2Fkurt-cobain-guitar-auction-smells-like-teen-spirit-video-sold-4-million-jim-irsay-collection%2F
Link sucks, sorry.
I should probably add to this...the guitar that was auctioned was the one from the Smells Like Teen Spirit video. Owner of the Colts bought it.
That's a bunch!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That's a bunch!

Right? His acoustic from the unplugged show brought $6 million a couple year ago. Auctions get crazy. Lol
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I should probably add to this...the guitar that was auctioned was the one from the Smells Like Teen Spirit video. Owner of the Colts bought it.

Brings to mind the old saying:

“A fool and his money are soon parted”

Neither Eric Clapton’s Fender “Blackie” Strat or SRV’s Fender “Lenny” Strat brought near that much.
And both are far more valuable than that POS Fender Mustang Cobain hacked away on.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Neither Eric Clapton’s “Blackie” Strat or SRV’s “Lenny” Strat brought that much.
And both are far more valuable than that POS Fender Mustang Cobain hacked away on.

Lol I expected the haters to show up. Lololol

Neither Eric Clapton’s “Blackie” Strat or SRV’s “Lenny” Strat brought that much.

They still waiting for the next Englebert Humperdink album to drop.

Neither Eric Clapton’s Fender “Blackie” Strat or SRV’s Fender “Lenny” Strat brought near that much.

There's likely some inflation on that as Irsay is a big fan of where this money was going to as well.

Many can debate the merits of who was a better guitar player but Nirvana (along with some others) essentially killed an entire DECADE worth of glam/hair metal. They're musically significant. Clapton (and I'm a huge fan) didn't kill an entire genre of music. Neither did Stevie (my fav guitarist of all time)

Adjusted for inflation - Blackie goes for $1,468,502.31
Adjusted for inflation - Lenny goes for $954,258.66

Lenny not being SRV's main guitar - understandable it wouldn't command uber pricing. Also - paying monster sums for collectables in 2004 - was that even a "thing"?
That's a bunch!

Right? His acoustic from the unplugged show brought $6 million a couple year ago. Auctions get crazy. Lol

It was an amazing performance.
That's a bunch!

It was an amazing performance.

It was amazing. When he screamed "shiver!" It took my breath away. Holy schit dude.
How much do they want for the Clik Caboom's shotgun ? I got a hunnert to burn
Originally Posted by Swamplord
How much di they want for the Clik Caboom's shotgun ? I got a hunnert to burn

That might bring some huge bucks.

Especially because it comes with Courtney's fingerprints too
Originally Posted by Teal

Especially because it comes with Courtney's fingerprints too

You could be right. I've gone back and forth on that issue for years.

There's likely some inflation on that as Irsay is a big fan of where this money was going to as well.

Many can debate the merits of who was a better guitar player but Nirvana (along with some others) essentially killed an entire DECADE worth of glam/hair metal. They're musically significant. Clapton (and I'm a huge fan) didn't kill an entire genre of music. Neither did Stevie (my fav guitarist of all time)

Bingo. While the auction is about a guitar, it's as much (if not more) symbolic of Nirvanna's cultural significance.

And this wasn't a ridiculous spend for Jim Irsay - he likely had half the amount of purchase price in loose change between his furniture cushions.
Originally Posted by SKane

Bingo. While the auction is about a guitar, it's as much (if not more) symbolic of Nirvanna's cultural significance.

And this wasn't a ridiculous spend for Jim Irsay - he likely had half the amount of purchase price in loose change between his furniture cushions.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was the first real alt/grunge song I remember getting any radio play. Top 9 at 9 on WIXX. I had gotten introduced to Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins by older kids at school prior to hitting the radio. Had Nevermind on tape pretty early... was blown away to hear Nirvana on the radio. Moved on to Pearl Jam, STP etc.

Culturally significant for sure.

LOL
Never heard of him. But I do know that everyone I knew that liked grunge “music” were a bunch of dope smoking Fuqking losers.
Cobain couldn’t have held SRV or EC’s guitar pick.
Just another no talent hack. Only good thing he ever did was suck start that 12 gauge.
WGAF

🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️

LOL
Never heard of him. But I do know that everyone I knew that liked grunge “music” were a bunch of dope smoking Fuqking losers.
Just another no talent hack. Only good thing he ever did was suck start that 12 gauge.

Lol. You might want to look up the history of SRV and Eric when it comes to drugs and who was doing what when they were big...
But I do know that everyone I knew that liked grunge “music” were a bunch of dope smoking Fuqking losers.

We'll just look past the three-year heroin hiatus by Clapton. laugh

LOL

Lol. You might want to look up the history of SRV and Eric when it comes to drugs and who was doing what when they were big...

Name a musician that hasn’t. I was talking about the idiots I knew that thought Curt Cobain was a “great musician”.
No wonder Conrad is always talking about smoking a joint. 🤪🤪🤪

LOL

SRV’s drug of choice was Cocaine. He got clean before he died. As has Clapton.
Cobain probably thought that 12 ga barrel was a bong. 😂😂😂
Love or hate him, Cobain changed Rock and Roll over night.
Took rock back from the corporations/top 10 charts/establishment And back to the kids where it belonged.
I had to google her
I jamming on Earl Thomas Conley and Dolly Partons, Grandpa Jones when I was 19 years old zippin around as a skinhead in my 73 gran torino, layin rubber as I pulled out of every business or driveway
Originally Posted by slumlord
I jamming on Earl Thomas Conley and Dolly Partons, Grandpa Jones when I was 19 years old zippin around as a skinhead in my 73 gran torino, layin rubber as I pulled out of every business or driveway

ETC was great. A friend of mine that grew up in the Nashville area said he played baseball with ETC’s son. They were both pitchers. My friend pitched a while at Vandy.

Shame ETC is dead now. He’s jamming with Roy & Buck now.
Pickin & Grinnin. 🤠
I had to google her

Lmao !

LOL

@ CI- I knew I never liked you. Now I have a reason. GFY
I had to google her

Lmao !

🤡🤠😃
Some fools have a lot of money to waste don't they?
Originally Posted by Ky221

LOL

@ CI- I knew I never liked you. Now I have a reason. GFY

Lmao ! Bet mean tweets caused you to vote for Biden. 😂
I had to google her

Lmao !

🤡🤠😃

Courtney Love probably had a bigger set of balls then he did. 😂
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Some fools have a lot of money to waste don't they?

Well one that is worth $3.5 billion usually isn't a fool.
Klik Caboom was a [bleep] guitarist and only [bleep] guitarists adored him because his [bleep] riffs were easy AF to play, no talent needed, no awesome solos to learn, no melodic singing required, didn't need an "ear" to learn his [bleep] riffs

he belched that "I swear I don't have a gun" !

Sure ya did, lol !

ETC was great. A friend of mine that grew up in the Nashville area said he played baseball with ETC’s son. They were both pitchers. My friend pitched a while at Vandy.

Shame ETC is dead now. He’s jamming with Roy & Buck now.
Pickin & Grinnin. 🤠
I saw ETC in concert in the early 1990's, can't remember what year exactly. He was still great though.
Klik Caboom was a [bleep] guitarist and only [bleep] guitarists adored him because his [bleep] riffs were easy AF to play, no talent needed, no awesome solos to learn, no melodic singing required, didn't need an "ear" to learn his [bleep] riffs

Sure ya did, lol !

Donny, you are out of your element.

LOL

Did you see Casablanca and decide it couldn’t hold a candle to Happy Gilmore?

LOL

Did you see Casablanca and decide it couldn’t hold a candle to Happy Gilmore?

Smoking too much dope makes ya stupid. It certainly didn’t make you funny. 😂😂😂
Comparing the three is not a reasonable thing to do.
Man... I'm screwed up..... I like pretty much everything posted so far . From Nirvana to SRV, Earl Thomas Conley....was bumpin some Eddie Raven today on the way home from work then a tune from Electric Light Orchestra.... some grunge was great, others not so much. Liked the Stone Temple Pilots and Candelbox..... being in high school in the mid 90's it takes me back to those days.... we were also cranking Waylon and Bobby Bare to Van Halen and Metallica ..... I draw the line a new POP country though, that chit sucks.
I thought Bill Haley played a swell guitar.
Cobain had talent and is a legend now. But he was an addict. I guess perfect people can throw stones.

Sure ya did, lol !
LOL
Hell .... even CC Deville and Mick Mars are better guitarists

Sure ya did, lol !

Omg LOL funny schit right there.

Sure ya did, lol !

If that's your "Trump supporter" insult .....
I'll take it

ULTRA MAGA !

As stated - the guitar isn't worth what it sold for because of Kurt's playing ability. Nirvana wasn't the band it was because of that either. Nirvana as a band is culturally significant because of the change it created in music. A change that altered the direction it had been going in for years.

His reaction to 50 dollar ticket prices is classic.

I bid 3.5 million, but had to get out after that.
And they were a 3 piece band that put out amazing sound and music. The music sounds simple, like the beatles, but is very complex. At first listening you never forget it That was its impact.

As stated - the guitar isn't worth what it sold for because of Kurt's playing ability. Nirvana wasn't the band it was because of that either. Nirvana as a band is culturally significant because of the change it created in music. A change that altered the direction it had been going in for years.

His reaction to 50 dollar ticket prices is classic.

You are not picking up what's being laid down in this thread.
Maybe if it was a REALLY big guitar it'd help?
CC Deville did go to Julliard IIRC.
© 24hourcampfire