Home
Posted By: sawbuck F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/24/22
I'm replacing the engine in an 04 F 150. It has sat for 7 years. Any idea which sensors I should replace while I'm at it?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/24/22
sumthing from Toyota
In Biden’s economy an ‘04 F150 with a blown motor has got to be worth $20k minimum.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/24/22
First thing I would do is get rid of the cam phaser sensors and get the lockouts
Posted By: sawbuck Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/25/22
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
First thing I would do is get rid of the cam phaser sensors and get the lockouts

I know that is right.
Posted By: plumbum Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/25/22
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Won't that affect driveability?
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/25/22
What does an engine replacement cost now days?
Posted By: sawbuck Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/25/22
A remanufactured long block cost me about 4k. I'm also replacing the water pump, injectors, coil packs, tensioner, idler pulleys, belt and hoses.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/25/22
Originally Posted by sawbuck
A remanufactured long block cost me about 4k. I'm also replacing the water pump, injectors, coil packs, tensioner, idler pulleys, belt and hoses.

Dang, a Ford mod motor is an expensive engine. The overhead cam heads I bet are what makes them so expensive. When did Ford quit making the type engine set up you have ? If not that long ago I would chance a wrecking yard pull.

By the way don't forget to service the transmission and rear diff.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/25/22
Sawbuck,

Howdy.

Did you pull the engine , if so did it get pulled the old fashion way, - engine hoist, tilt up & out?

Seen several people harping about it's best to lift the cab off, which sounds crazy to me.
Posted By: EdM Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/25/22
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6007-73
Yaaayeaahhh!
Posted By: Teal Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/25/22
Give me the 5.2 at 700+ hp...
Posted By: sawbuck Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by 1911a1

Dang, a Ford mod motor is an expensive engine. The overhead cam heads I bet are what makes them so expensive. When did Ford quit making the type engine set up you have ? If not that long ago I would chance a wrecking yard pull.

By the way don't forget to service the transmission and rear diff.

2010 was the last year the 5.4 was used in the F 150. Finding a good one used isn't easy.

The transmission and transfer case are getting new seals and fluids. The transmission was a reman installed in 2014 about a year before the engine failed.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Sawbuck,

Howdy.

Did you pull the engine , if so did it get pulled the old fashion way, - engine hoist, tilt up & out?

Seen several people harping about it's best to lift the cab off, which sounds crazy to me.

My buddy pulled it by pulling the transmission first, he also had to pull the pulley on the power steering pump to gain enough clearance to pull it out.

Pulling the cab may have been easier, it looks like there are only 6 or 8 bolts to remove.
Posted By: KFWA Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/26/22
don't hear many positives about the 5.4L 3v Triton
Posted By: Slenk Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/26/22
One of my son's has a 2005 Ford Triton 5.4 it broke a cam shaft. Costing him $6800 to get it repaired. Been waiting on parts for 3 months so far. Ford are spendy to repair.
Originally Posted by KFWA

That is true. I will only put about 3000 miles per year on it so I'm hoping it will be the last truck I need.
Originally Posted by Slenk
One of my son's has a 2005 Ford Triton 5.4 it broke a cam shaft. Costing him $6800 to get it repaired. Been waiting on parts for 3 months so far. Ford are spendy to repair.

Ouch!
Posted By: hicountry Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/26/22
My triton blew at 120k miles.

Dropped 2 cylinders 1 month after dealership changed spark plugs

Pfuucckk Ford, I'll never own another Ford product
I have 270K on my 04 5.4l Triton. Replaced the timing chains at 200K. Sparkplugs & boot assys every 30K.
I had a bad cam lobe because a roller on the rocker froze up. Replaced the lifter and rocker with the cam. Still has a lifter tick so will replace all the lifters and rockers when I get the money. For now it just keeps chugging along...
Posted By: ol_mike Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by KFWA

1997-2003 , 10th Generation, 4.6/5.4 are known for being some of the best trucks made. <Exclude the 4.2 6 cylinder.

2004-2008 , 11th Generation, 4.6/5.4 are known as the worst trucks ever made. Beware of those years, 3 valve time-bomb that rarely made it to 100K miles before needing a new engine.
12th generation, 2009-2014, I started to buy one back then, a ford tech/mech told me shop for something else, these are having problems, not as bad as the Gen 11 but not great either.

Knew a guy who bought new 3.5? turbo,, in the shop warranty repairs more than once.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/26/22
Originally Posted by hicountry
My triton blew at 120k miles.

Dropped 2 cylinders 1 month after dealership changed spark plugs

Pfuucckk Ford, I'll never own another Ford product

Which year model?
Posted By: 2five7 Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/26/22
I've owned 2 F150's and 1 Expedition, all with the 5.4 3v engine. Put about 400k combined miles on them, never done any major repairs. Have an '06 that is my daily driver, love that truck. Use a good 5w30 synthetic oil, with changes at 5k and they'll go a long ways.
2010 Lariat engine failed locked up at 165,000 miles. Dealer maintained. I'd say the little things were all fixed. The big things still had a problem. $8,500 out the door with a Ford replaced long block. Not much of a guarantee on the replaced engine but some. I like the truck while being disappointed in the engine life. Then again expectations have changed since I was young.

For the OP I'd say look at transmission seals and other such that will be hidden when the replaced engine is in the truck. Assuming the sensors are accessible I'd wait for them to show signs of problems before replacing them. Spark plugs and air filter and such replaced every chance on the principle that tune-ups always pay in performance so go ahead.
Posted By: scrooster Re: F 150 Engine Replacement - 05/26/22
2010 was the last year the 5.4 was used in the F 150. Finding a good one used isn't easy.

I still drive a Gen 10 XLT Super Cab 2010 FS4 OffRoad 4x4 with a 5.4 Triton ... every day. Knock on wood, doesn't burn a drop of oil. I've got a small drip in the rear main seal which I intend to have replaced here before too long. I think it rolled to like 330k here recently ... sometimes the odometer reads, some times it doesn't. That's the only knock on the truck, it's nearly mint. I just put a new muffler on it and a new set of tires ... I wax it regularly and change the oil religiously. AC still blows cold. I love the truck. Been offered an insane amount of money for it.

They used to talk about spark plugs blowing out and rocker arms on the cams breaking ... never had that problem but I always had it served by my good mechanic and he's taken care of it.

The only thing I can remember causing a hiccup was an O² sensor one time but that was an easy fix.

You can find lots of 5.4 Triton engines up in the midwest I've been told ... nosomuch with the bodies because they are all rusted out up there. I've been thinking of buying a used block or complete engine when I a, up in Michigan in July and bringing it down here to be rebuilt for the sad day when mine gives out. May try to find a transmission to have rebuilt at the same time.
© 24hourcampfire