Home
Posted By: Remsen I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
...of really well preserved/restored late 60s/early 70s American cars, especially the big GM ones (I generally hate GMs, but they ruled in this era). I came across this beaut tonight...all 8.2 liters of American V8. I wouldn't want to own one, but I sure like these cars. I think this is a 1970 or so Eldorado. If it had been a 1971 Riviera, I'd have spent more time drooling.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Nice! It’s not my style but I’m a sucker for anything old that’s been beautifully restored or taken care of. Holy moly paying for the gas bill on an 8.2 liter engine!
Posted By: Raferman Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Nice whip but maybe 8 miles to the gallon with Brandon's fuel prices.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
You don't worry about the cost of gas when you buy a car like that.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter
You don't worry about the cost of gas when you buy a car like that.

Damn right.

I really want a Buick GS or a Olds 442.
Posted By: 673 Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
I love cars like that.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Anybody that associates this car with an "8.2 litre" engine is a gotdamn communist. 😁
Posted By: RiverRider Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Had a 1970 Buick Electra back in the late 70s. Thing was a land barge and a smooth quiet ride. Acres and acres of windshield in those days.
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
I had a 1976 Coupe de Ville, with that 500 cu. in. motor. First time I drove it, thought it was a dog for a second. Was on the on ramp headed onto the interstate, felt like it wasn’t really picking up speed. Until I looked at the speedometer and that sucker was past 70 mph halfway down the ramp… Damn thing was so smooth, you didn’t realize how fast you were gaining speed. Sucker would run well over a hundred all day long.

Had a 1976 Le Sabre, lost the 350 Buick motor, so got a motor from my buddy at the salvage yard he owned. Told me there was an old Skylark down in the back that had a big block in it I could have for 200 bucks if I pulled it. Went to look at the car, and damn straight I was gonna pull it. The Skylark was a 72 GS with a good 455 in it. That LeSabre was one fast sumbitch after I got that motor fixed up and put in.

Had a 75 Lincoln Continental with the 460, too. That one was fast, too. Those old cars surprised a lot of young fellas with newer “sports” cars…
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by mirage243
Anybody that associates this car with an "8.2 litre" engine is a gotdamn communist. 😁

Hahahaha!

It's a gawtdanm 500!
Posted By: Remsen Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22

Don't shoot the messenger....

Posted By: EdM Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Those were sharp cars. A couple of my favorites are the '64 Riviera and the '69 Grand Prix.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Big pimpin'!

Back when my brother and I were both in college we had a 1977 Olds Toronado. Local dealer got it in on trade, one owner, town doctor's car.

Big block cruiser.

Jesus we went through 9 lives in that thing!
Posted By: Morewood Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Remsen,
If you get a kick out classic cars scroll through THIS WEBSITE.

Sincerely,
Morewood
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Coolio dude.

For those wondering. I had a '71 Coupe de Ville with the small motor (472ci) around 1987 and it got all of 9 MPG, around town, on the fwy, uphill, downhill............9 MPG.

Yes, when cruising on the fwy you could see the fuel needle moving.

But, even in the crappy condition it was in, it was a pleasure to ride in and could haul a bunch of folks.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
I had a 1976 Coupe de Ville, with that 500 cu. in. motor. First time I drove it, thought it was a dog for a second. Was on the on ramp headed onto the interstate, felt like it wasn’t really picking up speed. Until I looked at the speedometer and that sucker was past 70 mph halfway down the ramp… Damn thing was so smooth, you didn’t realize how fast you were gaining speed. Sucker would run well over a hundred all day long.

Had a 1976 Le Sabre, lost the 350 Buick motor, so got a motor from my buddy at the salvage yard he owned. Told me there was an old Skylark down in the back that had a big block in it I could have for 200 bucks if I pulled it. Went to look at the car, and damn straight I was gonna pull it. The Skylark was a 72 GS with a good 455 in it. That LeSabre was one fast sumbitch after I got that motor fixed up and put in.

Had a 75 Lincoln Continental with the 460, too. That one was fast, too. Those old cars surprised a lot of young fellas with newer “sports” cars…

HS friend’s dad had a 75 T-bird with the 460. We’d have to pay him a quarter if we wanted him to smoke the tires. I was older than my buddy and got my DL first, so his dad would let me drive us to town on a Friday night. Lotsa fun.
Posted By: deflave Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
I love all the big old sedans.

Even more than old pickups and muscle cars.
Posted By: 250Sav_age Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
I still remember my dad's '67 Toronado.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by EdM
Those were sharp cars. A couple of my favorites are the '64 Riviera and the '69 Grand Prix.
I had a white 69 Grand Prix that a buddy gave me when he left town in a hurry. There was an Eldorado parked on the road out front that broke down; when the guy with a 3/4 ton tow truck hooked straps under the front and started lifting, the front of the truck came off the ground and the Caddy just stayed put.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Remsen,

I really hate to tell you what we call them cars down here. It’s just so stereotypical 🙁
Posted By: RS308MX Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by Remsen
...of really well preserved/restored late 60s/early 70s American cars, especially the big GM ones (I generally hate GMs, but they ruled in this era). I came across this beaut tonight...all 8.2 liters of American V8. I wouldn't want to own one, but I sure like these cars. I think this is a 1970 or so Eldorado. If it had been a 1971 Riviera, I'd have spent more time drooling.

That's a mile of hood in front of that hood. Love it! I had a '70 something Chrysler New Yorker years ago. 440 CI, 4 barrel carb. That car moved fast quite comfortably.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Remsen,

I really hate to tell you what we call them cars down here. It’s just so stereotypical 🙁

Racist Mobile ??? 😁
Posted By: horse1 Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Big pimpin'!

Back when my brother and I were both in college we had a 1977 Olds Toronado. Local dealer got it in on trade, one owner, town doctor's car.

Big block cruiser.

That the big FWD model?

Think about how many of those 500CID Cadillacs and 460CID Lincoln’s never has the “go” pedal pushers deeper than 1/4 throttle ‘cause grandma Owned them……

My grandma had a ‘76 Lincoln w/460. I remember dad taking us for a ride and getting it over 100MPH. It was “floaty”. Best to not have to turn or stop in a hurry.
Posted By: 250Sav_age Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Big pimpin'!

Big block cruiser.

That the big FWD model?

Think about how many of those 500CID Cadillacs and 460CID Lincoln’s never has the “go” pedal pushers deeper than 1/4 throttle ‘cause grandma Owned them……

My grandma had a ‘76 Lincoln w/460. I remember dad taking us for a ride and getting it over 100MPH. It was “floaty”. Best to not have to turn or stop in a hurry.

Floaty is the best word to describe them.
Posted By: Andy3 Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
My second car was 74 ElDorado. 500 engine/front wheel drive. I-40 had 12-14" of powder snow on it, and I drove 3 of us back home, from college. I was the fastest car on the road, by far.....while kicking up a huge plume of snow, behind us. Rock solid.

Andy3
Posted By: worriedman Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Pop had a Blue '67 4 door 225 with the 455 engine. It would eat the road up and do it in style. It kind of floated.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
My grandmother gave my daughter her '74 Montego, with the 400 ci engine, back ~ 2000.
Car had just under 36K miles on it. Had to have the heads worked on, so she could drive it back and forth to NMMI.
She never put a lot of mileage on it.
Daughter is keeping it to restore.
Needs a new vinyl top, upholstery redo, and mostly some small things.
Posted By: OGB Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
I miss big cars in general. Like going down the highway on a couch.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by OGB
I miss big cars in general. Like going down the highway on a couch.

This+1
Posted By: EdM Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by 250Sav_age
I still remember my dad's '67 Toronado.

My neighbor had one. I enjoyed watching that neat speedometer.
Posted By: akrange Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
That’s a Nice Sled ..
Posted By: erikj Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
I visited with my neighbor yesterday and he shows me a DeLorean DMC-12 project. Interesting, but not my cup of tea. I need to do some more stalking. Car show season is just kicking off here.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Remsen,

Racist Mobile ??? 😁

Nope,,,,

Jew canoe
Remsen,

Racist Mobile ??? 😁

Nope,,,,

Jew canoe

Lol
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Remsen,

Racist Mobile ??? 😁

Nope,,,,

Jew canoe

That's goin back some. Dang I miss the racial jokes of the 70's.
Posted By: 673 Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
My buddy had an olds with a 455, he out ran the Cops, things were going good until he ran out of fuel.
Cop pulls up beside him LOL.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
A good friend of the family was a big car guy in the 70s. He was a professional truck driver, and got hit by a train at a street with faulty crossing bars. He spent the remainder of his life as a paraplegic.

So he needed large entry doors, and he liked big engines. A 66 Toronado. then a 71 El Dorado, and then another Toronado, this one a '73 with dual square head lights out front of that Olds 455. All of which were a sheer pleasure to ride in. I still love the lines of the 66 Toranado.

One of my Aunts drove a pilot car to accompany mobile home transporters across the country in the early 70s. Her pilot car? A 1971 Buick Skylark GS Stage 1 with the high output 450 HP Stage One Buick 455 and Ram Air.

That one ended up on blocks for about ten years needing the turbo 400 rebuilt. Finally it was sold. The buyer got T-boned towing it through the nearest intersection on the state hiway.

My kids knew that I always lusted for a 71 Riviera. When my son was a Senior in High School,(about 2000) he found an old baby blue junker 71 sitting on the back of a used car lot for $400. Between him, his little sister, and his Momma they scraped together the money and towed it home.

It needed the engine rebuilt, the tranny rebuilt, the vinyl top replaced, and the entire interior redone, as well as the trunk floor and rear fenders were rusted through.

I had it about ten years before the price of recycle metal got high enough to recover the kids $400 selling the old car by the ton.

One of my favorite cars was my Mom's 71 Impala Custom two door. I used to drive it to work in '77. It had the convex rear window and ventilated trunk lid a la Chevy Corvair. Just a 400 CID SBC with a Turbo 400 and new radials. But the old girl sure drove nicely.

Then the economics of transportation hit me in the face. I bought my first car, a 71 Toyota Celica, I have been driving 100 HP 4 cylinder cars ever since unless I needed to use my HD pickup.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22

My wife and I saw one of those yesterday afternoon except it was painted bright, metallic purple with those huge wheels. Pimpmobile to the extreme. 😳
Posted By: ERK Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Piss on the economics of transportation. One of the thrills in life is high horsepower cars or trucks. Gotta live a little before ya die. I’m gonna be 70 tears old this November. I bought a new 2018 Challenger Scatpak. 485 horse and I know for a fact it’s goes faster than 165. Miles per hr. Edk
Posted By: Remsen Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Remsen,

Racist Mobile ??? 😁

Nope,,,,

Jew canoe

That's goin back some. Dang I miss the racial jokes of the 70's.

I remember there were entire books devoted to racial jokes for each race (especially the Italians and Polish--https://www.amazon.com/Official-Polish-Italian-Joke-Book/dp/0523002424). I guess even back then they made sure to take shots at whites...

As for Jew canoes, it may be a regional thing. When I lived in Brooklyn (1990s), the Jew canoes were the big Olds or Chevy station wagons that the Chasids would drive around in (think the type that sent Gavin Cato to heaven). I used that term all the time and I don't think anyone was ever offended by the use of the term. Then again, I wouldn't have cared whether there were hurt feelers.
Posted By: ironbender Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
As for Jew canoes, it may be a regional thing. When I lived in Brooklyn (1990s), the Jew canoes were the big Olds or Chevy station wagons that the Chasids would drive around in (think the type that sent Gavin Cato to heaven). I used that term all the time and I don't think anyone was ever offended by the use of the term. Then again, I wouldn't have cared whether there were hurt feelers.
Ever drive a new canoe over the guinea gangplank? 😂
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
It's fun seeing those cars again.

The second car I owned when I was sixteen was a '68 Chrysler New Yorker. Friggin' tuna boat!

Had a 440 magnum in it, but the best feature was the back seat. Damn that thing was big!

Don't know how many dead bodies the truck would hold, but it would be a bunch.

I don't have any pix of it, but here's an interweb likeness. Happens to be the same color as mine was:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
I owned one of those for a bit. A '71 New Yorker purchased in 2000 with 60K on the meter. I kept it long enough to extract the motor and put it into a '75 3/4 T 4X4 Dodge.

When I started the truck and drove it down the hiway, It nearly jumped off the road every time the tach neared 3000 RPM. Which was 20mph in first, 40 mph in second, and 60 mph in high gear. The old girl had to turn 4000 RPM to make 80 mph on the freeway. (thank God for the introduction of OD trannys in pickup trucks.)

After some research at the local Dodge dealer, I learned the '71 had a steel crank while my original '75 had a cast crank. As they were externally balanced, I had to pull the engine again and put the car's torque converter back onto the 71 engine.

I had just rebuilt the tranny and replaced the torque converter, I had been loathe (mistakenly) to toss a brand new torque converter in the dumpster.

Imagine my surprise when I saw on the dealer's books, that 71 440 cid Chrysler was rated at a phenomenal 185 HP from the factory.
Posted By: ironbender Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
Neighbor has a black ‘66 Tornado with a ‘68 455 engine. It’s a boat.
Posted By: Morewood Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
My old high school buddy used to love those Ford LTD's. When he wrecked his first one he went out and found another just like it.
Man, talk about tuna boats, but it was comfortable as hell on road trips. Looked like this:[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: Jahrs Re: I'm a stalker - 05/28/22
I had a 65 Grand Prix, my brother had a 67 firebird and mom had a 70 Cadillac Deville convertible. Talk about gas suckers. I also had a 74 Lincoln continental that was even worse than the GP and Caddy.
© 24hourcampfire