Home
Posted By: deflave BOOK RECOMMENDATION: The Rifle - 05/28/22
This is a great read. The author is a combat vet from Iraq and Afghanistan. He returns home and finds solace in finding information about the WWII veteran he was named after. This leads him to buy an M1 Garand in an effort to connect with the past and he ultimately decides to start locating old WWII vets and documenting their stories.

They are exceptionally open to sharing (many of them for the first time in their lives) because they know he can relate. Each chapter is a different WWII veteran's story.

He carries his M1 Garand to each veteran and has them sign it when they're done.

Fitting for Memorial Day weekend.

https://www.amazon.com/Rifle-Stories-Americas-Veterans-Through/dp/1684510791
Thanks 'flave.

I love stuff like this.

I haven't been able to read fiction in 20 years and why would I with so many real stories out there to be shared.
Will have to order it.
Me too
Sounds like a great read. WWII is something I can't seem to read enough about.
Thanks for the head's up on that; sounds like a good read. I took my DCM M1 Garand to one of my late uncles in 2007. He had one in the last year or so of the Pacific theater as a young marine. Hadn't seen one in person since about 1945 or '46. It brought back knowledge of an M1 to him that he had forgotten all about. He knew that rifle so well that it surprised me; despite not even seeing one (other than TV & movies) in over 60 years. Some things you never forget.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Thanks for the head's up on that; sounds like a good read. I took my DCM M1 Garand to one of my late uncles in 2007. He had one in the last year or so of the Pacific theater as a young marine. Hadn't seen one in person since about 1945 or '46. It brought back knowledge of an M1 to him that he had forgotten all about. He knew that rifle so well that it surprised me; despite not even seeing one (other than TV & movies) in over 60 years. Some things you never forget.

Saw once at our local range, one of the local's father in Law was from California up visiting... guy spent his late teens in the Marine Corps, and served a couple of years in Korea during that conflict. Hadn't really had much use for a rifle after he got out of the Marines in 1955 or so.....

his son in law had brought out an M1 Garand, not knowing that his Father in law hadn't really fired one since 1955...but he convinced his Father in Law to have a go with it... They hadn't hung out a target yet, and he was going to... but the old Marine, just told him he'd shoot at that white target "hanging out there" at 300 yds... a gong.... took a couple of shots.... bang/clang 3 times in a row...then nonchalantly handed the rifle back to his son in law...

in my life, I haven't seen too many Marines lose their marksmanship..... maybe its just me... but the saying is true... once a Marine, always a Marine.

Travis, thanks for the tip on the book, will have to order a copy of that for myself to read...

Sadly we are losing too many of America's greatest.. our war veterans at an alarming rate from those days of service from the 40s and 50s...WW2 and Korea....and now Vietnam Vets are starting the same pattern....
Just for you Flave..

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com][Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

https://www.amazon.com/Macho-Men-Toxic-Masculinity-Harms/dp/B09RLXXPTC/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?crid=1ZM9IKN7GHHMP&keywords=toxic+masculinity+book&qid=1653757047&sprefix=toxic+masculinity%2Caps%2C812&sr=8-15
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Will have to order it.

You'll especially like the first chapter.
akafaggy,

No doubt that was found in your "previous orders" on amazon.

Wasting your entire life in the same one horse town has consequences. LOL
Thanks for the tip, Flave. Looks like a great read.

It seems appropriate on this Memorial Day weekend to repost this pic of my Pop with a 1944 vintage Inland M1 carbine I gave him for Christmas many years ago before he passed. Closest thing to the M2 he carried in the Sherman with him as he made his way across Europe with Patton.

I now have the rifle. It will never leave.

Miss you every day, Pop.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I like to see that pic again. As you told your brother has his Walther P38. Do you happen to have a pic of that particular gun?
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
I like to see that pic again. As you told your brother has his Walther P38. Do you happen to have a pic of that particular gun?

Elmer, sorry. Do not have a pic of the P38. However, it is in very good to excellent condition with Eagle and Swastika proof stampings.
Nice Pic. and Memory!

I thank him and many others for their Service!

Rest in Peace!
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Will have to order it.

Same.
I've been following for a while. Haven't bought the book though
The Instagram has posts with short captions about each veteran

https://instagram.com/therifle_?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Bump for those that read something written by someone other than Eric Bolling or Brian Kilmeade.

LOL
© 24hourcampfire