Home
Posted By: johnw Garmin Inreach? - 05/28/22
Anyone know if a Garmin Sat Com unit can communicate directly with another of the same general type?

Can my Inreach Mini communicate directly with a buddy's Mini, if we're both outside of cellular coverage?

Or do we need to relay messages through a 3rd party?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/28/22
Yes, you can.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/28/22
By directly, do you mean like two-way radios do?
Posted By: johnw Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
By directly, do you mean like two-way radios do?

No. the devices connect only via satellite. What I want to know is whether one device can connect with another, via satellite, without going through a third party cellular connection. The only communication that I see promoted is from a party in a cellular free area texting via satellite to someone elses cell phone who has a cellular signal.

Can one garmin device connect and communicate via satellite to another garmin device? Or do they need to communicate to someone's cell phone?
If they can communicate directly, via satellite, how do they do so? What is the procedure?
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/29/22
I have one, but never tried Garmin-to-Garmin.

Search shows this:

inReach to inReach Messaging
If you have an inReach device, you can send a message from your inReach to another inReach by using the inReach address as the recipient. Each inReach user is assigned a unique inReach address ([email protected]) at the moment the account is created.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/29/22
I fully understand how the inReach works as I've had one since Delorme brought them to market. I asked because I wasn't clear what you meant by directly. Tide_Change got you pointed in the right direction. The steps can be found by searching for communicating between inReach devices.
Posted By: wyoelk Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/29/22
Yes. You can send messages to another Inreach device. As said above; you send it to their Inreach email address. Everyone in our camp has one. Works great when you drop a bull, you can just send your location and have four helpers there by the time you’re done quartering.
OK guys, good information. And I have seen that inreach email address somewhere in my account info. Will look into it.
And i realized that it was also time to update my pre-set messages. updated the messages, the recipients, and did a sync with the phone app. should be good to go for now.

Have a buddy who does a lot of the same stuff in sorta the same places I do. He's interested in an inreach type device, but was curious if they'd communicate directly. Via Satellite!
Posted By: johnw Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/30/22
Did a successful device to device test last night with a guy probably 2000 miles distant. A device that you could easily fit 2 of in a shirt pocket.

As cool as it gets for field use electronics, in my book...
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/30/22
Thanks for the test John 👍
Posted By: johnw Re: Garmin Inreach? - 05/31/22
To Infinity...
And Lake Of The Woods....
© 24hourcampfire