Home
Posted By: MartinStrummer "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
For you guys running diesel pickups, would you consider running the dyed, off road diesel in your vehicle?
If no, why not?
Posted By: 700LTR Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Sure
Posted By: steve4102 Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Other than it’s illegal, go ahead, the color is for tax purposes.
Posted By: milespatton Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Heavy fine if you get caught using on the highway. Tax issue. miles
Posted By: milespatton Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Every year they catch a lot at the grain elevator. They take samples from the trucks in line. miles
Posted By: horse1 Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
No, because I live in town and don't/can't have a bulk tank so I'd have to fill @ a filling station and be on camera doing so. Our fine for 1st offense is $500 + whatever tax you'd owe on a full tank of fuel based on capacity. Our total taxes on diesel are ~.47 cents. I suppose I could "break even" in about a year @ 15MPG given I put 15-20K/yr on my pickup. In 12yrs of diesel pickup ownership I've never been checked and we don't do periodic emissions checks either. For me it's not worth the "hassle factor".
Posted By: kkahmann Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Same here Miles—they testing the loggers personal trucks pretty regular. The fine ain’t too bad—somewhere around $450–but the subsequent fuel audit gets really pricey. I know one logger who got nailed for 70 thousand.
Posted By: Teal Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
I'd think the odds of getting caught in the family Duramax is pretty low. Buzzing around, maybe with the bass boat in tow. Given it's a non-commercial vehicle basically, I wonder what the "probable cause" would be to check the fuel?

Now - rolling around with a DOT number on the side, moving equipment, running farm stuff - odds likely go up. Just because you're around the man more.

Wouldn't consider it in a commercial vehicle.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Living in a farm community harvest time is the most dangerous time for fuel checks. Elevators, parts stores, and secondary county roads you will get stopped if you are driving a pickup that looks like a working pickup and most semi's. Also once you put dyed fuel in your fuel tanks it will color the fuel for extended time even after you use all that fuel and have used on road fuel. A friend of mine received a ticket last summer for having dyed fuel in his tank, he had put a couple gallons in the year before to get home one night from the field.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
The fine for illegal use of colored diesel in Washington, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, and other states is $10 per gallon or $1,000 per infraction (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For example, if 20 gallons of this fuel are discovered in your tank, you will be fined $1,000. It will be doubled if there are two of these tanks. Following the first violation, each subsequent infraction increases the penalty by $1,000 in comparison to the prior violation, therefore the total penalty is determined by the number of violations.
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Living in a farm community harvest time is the most dangerous time for fuel checks. Elevators, parts stores, and secondary county roads you will get stopped if you are driving a pickup that looks like a working pickup and most semi's. Also once you put dyed fuel in your fuel tanks it will color the fuel for extended time even after you use all that fuel and have used on road fuel. A friend of mine received a ticket last summer for having dyed fuel in his tank, he had put a couple gallons in the year before to get home one night from the field.

Cows outnumber people 10 to 1 in my county. Not saying it doesn't happen or hasn't happened but locally, no one seems to talk about it. Who does the checking? Our County Sherriff would never get re-elected. Has to be DOT or State police?
Posted By: dassa Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by Teal

Cows outnumber people 10 to 1 in my county. Not saying it doesn't happen or hasn't happened but locally, no one seems to talk about it. Who does the checking? Our County Sherriff would never get re-elected. Has to be DOT or State police?
Every time I've been checked it was an irs agent at a state patrol temporary weigh station.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Heavy ag area where I am.
Most farmers run "road" diesel in their equipment.
That way, any "fuel" costs can be buried in "farm use" expenses come tax time.
Now that diesel is "outta sight", I can only presume that more farmers will move to "off road" diesel to help cut costs.
Monday
"Road" $5.199/gal
"Off Road" $4.619/gal
That's a savings of +/- .58/gal or $17.58 for a 30 gallon fill up.
Maybe $17.58 isn't a BIG savings, but in today's economy, even a small savings is meaningful.

I'll wager "off road" sales will takeoff as people try to offset fuel costs any way they can.
My eldest used to use the cheap "ethanol" gasoline in a Subaru. Finally convinced the kid to try "pure gasoline".
Costs went up a little, but mileage, performance and maintenance* savings MORE than covered any increased fuel costs.

* - oil changes

P.S. - off road diesel at the local Co-op is $4.289/gal. That's nearly a buck a gal! 😜
Posted By: bluffview Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Around here if you can get a designated farmer or logger license plate they won't bother you for using dyed fuel. It can't be too hard to get the designation based on the number of plates I see.
Posted By: ldholton Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by dassa

Every time I've been checked it was an irs agent at a state patrol temporary weigh station.
And I've even been stopped with the IRS agent riding with DOT mobile.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by bluffview
Around here if you can get a designated farmer or logger license plate they won't bother you for using dyed fuel. It can't be too hard to get the designation based on the number of plates I see.

I can't think of a soul who has even been checked for dyed fuel.
First off, most state troopers aren't about to get themselves coated with diesel just to check for dyed fuel.
It stinks. It's greasy and doesn't just "wipe" off.

Right now, the wheat harvest is in full swing. Some old crippled dude putting dyed diesel in barrels on a trailer is pretty much "SOP"! 😉
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
The fine for illegal use of colored diesel in Washington, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, and other states is $10 per gallon or $1,000 per infraction (a tank with red diesel), whichever is greater. For example, if 20 gallons of this fuel are discovered in your tank, you will be fined $1,000. It will be doubled if there are two of these tanks. Following the first violation, each subsequent infraction increases the penalty by $1,000 in comparison to the prior violation, therefore the total penalty is determined by the number of violations.
Not to mention for somebody like myself with large storage tanks on the farm they can come back and charge you tax on every gallon of stored fuel you have in your possession plus fines on top of that per gallon

You can get an offroad diesel permit for off road use.

But if you put it in your pickup and drive on the highway, you are subject to the fines.
Originally Posted by martinstrummer

I can't think of a soul who has even been checked for dyed fuel.
First off, most state troopers aren't about to get themselves coated with diesel just to check for dyed fuel.
It stinks. It's greasy and doesn't just "wipe" off.

Right now, the wheat harvest is in full swing. Some old crippled dude putting dyed diesel in barrels on a trailer is pretty much "SOP"! 😉
LMAO...They stick a long clear straw in the fuel tank draw it out in an enclosed tube there is no getting greasy to it.
Posted By: gnnrsig40 Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
I have heard that it will also void factory warranty. This may have come from back when dyed diesel was actually high sulfur instead of ultra low sulfer.
Posted By: slumlord Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
I guess riding around with a 40oz of miller lite in your lap is a major danger ?? LOL

Life is about choices and chances.
Posted By: Redneck Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
For you guys running diesel pickups, would you consider running the dyed, off road diesel in your vehicle?
If no, why not?
NO... Two reasons: It can void any warranty and if (or when) you (generic, not specific) happen to get in a state that runs a fuel check, you'll be in big, deep doo-doo...
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Checks used to happen every year at the boat ramp after a major tournament at the Lake of the Ozarks.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Wonder if there is a way to filter the dye out
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by milespatton
Heavy fine if you get caught using on the highway. Tax issue. miles

the most dangerous thing you can do, is to mess with the government's revenue stream.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I can't remember the exact ratio but it's significant like one gallon of dye fuel will show up in 50 gallon the road fuel. For this reason I've been known to take a newly purchased used diesel powered vehicle and Dot station and have them pull sample to make sure there wasn't some already in the system that I could prove or at least make the case that I didn't put it there.
Posted By: Longbob Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
I won't do it for a couple of reasons. The fine isn't worth it and they check a lot around here. The other reason is it isn't that much difference in price. I get my diesel far cheaper with a dollar off each gallon from Kroger. Been doing that for years with my trucks, wife's SUV, RV, and diesel generator in my race car trailer. My truck has a 90 gallon refueling tank in the back that will also feed into the truck's tank.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
And our side is going going to start a revolution? Lmfao
Margret make sure you get my sour cream Ruffles I like, I have a lot of badassery to discuss on the innanet.

Daddy I chopped down the cherry tree. LOL
🤣 😂

We’re so fûcked.
Posted By: mirage243 Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by SandBilly

Yup
I gotta send this one in to Boston Beaman

🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍

<<Just run the dyed diesel in your truck…..Be A Man!!>
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: shrapnel Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
You’ll get your data mined on the Tikkity Tok.

They might get your great Grammies apple pie recipe….
Posted By: Raeford Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
I gotta send this one in to Boston Beaman

🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍

<<Just run the dyed diesel in your truck…..Be A Man!!>
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Blackheart?
Posted By: strikeu Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
throw 2 empty automatic transmission fluid bottles in the bed, tell them you add ATF to a full tank. common practice.

also dyed fuel doesn't void a warranty. not mine anyway.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
If no, why not?

I have, but that was my only choice or be stranded 100 miles from nowhere. I wouldn't make a habit of it. It's cheaper most times to drive the 5 miles to the local gas station to fill my Kubota tractor with road fuel than it is to have dyed diesel delivered to my 500 gallon bulk tank. The money I save in taxes gets eaten in delivery charges.

Not going to put an ag exemption in jeopardy, plus fines for doing that. I've had people I know checked and fined. It wasn't pretty.

Ag industry ain't seeing enough blue sky as it is now.

I figure if I follow those simple rules on off road diesel, I just have one less thing to worry about.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22

I have no personal experience with this but you can add a gallon or two of used motor oil to the tank and it will turn everything black. Told to me by a friend.

Yeah...I think that all the time. We got people with the thin blue line flag right next to the Gadsden and think they're on the same side.

Not that I am perfect...I got thinking to do about what I am prepared to lose by doing what's right, like we all do.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22

DOT comes out of the woodwork. They bring in traveling crews to saturate the area. They will be near the main river terminal and the major grain facilities. They park in turnout spots along the highways and wave you in.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
The road tax aviodance scheme used to be to run #2 home heating oil in Diesel vehicles- - - - -same stuff, just minus the government larceny at the gas station.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
College roommate driving a 25 year old Mercedes highway boat (non turbo, not enough power to get out if it’s own way) was going to be late for class and was 2 hours from campus and 10 miles from closest gas station in the wrong direction. Filled up the Mercedes with his dads farm diesel. Drove the 2 hours to campus. Gets out and realizes he’d forgot the fuel cap. Whole side of his gray car was colored red. Skipped class and went to the car wash and oreillys instead.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
College roommate driving a 25 year old Mercedes highway boat (non turbo, not enough power to get out if it’s own way) was going to be late for class and was 2 hours from campus and 10 miles from closest gas station in the wrong direction. Filled up the Mercedes with his dads farm diesel. Drove the 2 hours to campus. Gets out and realizes he’d forgot the fuel cap. Whole side of his gray car was colored red. Skipped class and went to the car wash and oreillys instead.

Did the Gas Cops get him? LOL
Will the Gas Cops bust your asses for running Chinese restaurant fry oil in your Volkswagen rabbit??
Posted By: akasparky Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
I think it really comes down to just how much of a lieing, thieving, stealing scumbucket POS entitlist you happen to be.

I'm sure many here would have no problem with it at all.
Originally Posted by akasparky
I think it really comes down to just how much of a lieing, thieving, stealing scumbucket POS entitlist you happen to be.

I don't think there are any tax collectors here.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
That's OK- - - -I'm sure a bunch of virtue-signaling LGBTQ-EIEIO whiners who love getting azz-raped by goobermint tax and spend dummycrap bureaucrats will voluntarily send enough extra tax money to the politicians to make up for any losses caused by somebody who fails to pay a little fuel tax!
Originally Posted by akasparky

Get it, Dudley. 😂
Posted By: akasparky Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
That's OK- - - -I'm sure a bunch of virtue-signaling LGBTQ-EIEIO whiners who love getting azz-raped by goobermint tax and spend dummycrap bureaucrats will voluntarily send enough extra tax money to the politicians to make up for any losses caused by somebody who fails to pay a little fuel tax!

^^^There's one^^^
Posted By: flintlocke Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Speaking of diesel, what is the story on the urea shortage, it's effect on DEF availability? Will you rich guys with new fangled planet saving pickups be able to run without DEF? Or do they suffer computer shutdown if the DEF system becomes inoperable?
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Speaking of diesel, what is the story on the urea shortage, it's effect on DEF availability? Will you rich guys with new fangled planet saving pickups be able to run without DEF? Or do they suffer computer shutdown if the DEF system becomes inoperable?

Gonna be a lot of slow drivin' mo'fo's in limp mode. 15 mph tops with no DEF.
Same azzholes who pull samples from your tank, send a bill to people who bought a hybrid, because THEY didn't pay enough gas tax, either.

So fuggem. One and all, big and small. No more overreach. Don't tread on me. Or anyone else.
Posted By: Cowboybart Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
I've done it before in an old school 6.9 IDI diesel. The engine will run OK, but it is tax evasion. In the newer pick ups it will clog the cat converter and screw up your DPF/DEF system. A local ranch ran some in their Jeep with a CRD. It didn't take long for the Jeep to quit. They towed it into the dealer and told them a staff member did it by accident. To my knowledge there was no fine but it was not a warranty issue either. I don't know the fine for a pick up, but in in a commercial vehicle, it is your last 5 IFTA quarters. What that means is you pay for the road tax for the last 5 quarters as if you never paid ANY tax. Considering that one truck will go about 150K miles in 5 quarters, at 7 mpg. That's fuel tax on 21,500 gallons. States vary in their tax, but using an average of $.35/gal on the state level and $.26 on the federal level. That's about a $13,000 fine per truck.
Posted By: Moto_Vita Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
I've done it before in an old school 6.9 IDI diesel. The engine will run OK, but it is tax evasion. In the newer pick ups it will clog the cat converter and screw up your DPF/DEF system. A local ranch ran some in their Jeep with a CRD. It didn't take long for the Jeep to quit. They towed it into the dealer and told them a staff member did it by accident. To my knowledge there was no fine but it was not a warranty issue either. I don't know the fine for a pick up, but in in a commercial vehicle, it is your last 5 IFTA quarters. What that means is you pay for the road tax for the last 5 quarters as if you never paid ANY tax. Considering that one truck will go about 150K miles in 5 quarters, at 7 mpg. That's fuel tax on 21,500 gallons. States vary in their tax, but using an average of $.35/gal on the state level and $.26 on the federal level. That's about a $13,000 fine per truck.
I don't know about where you are, but here the fuel distributors tell us that the only difference between dyed diesel and road diesel is the dye and the taxes. I'm sure any dealer who was working on a fuel related problem would deny warranty coverage if they found red fuel though, just because they can.
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
I don't know about where you are, but here the fuel distributors tell us that the only difference between dyed diesel and road diesel is the dye and the taxes. I'm sure any dealer who was working on a fuel related problem would deny warranty coverage if they found red fuel though, just because they can.

I'm unaware of any industry or use for high sulphur diesel and I would wonder about the ability to actually get it? Most everything ULSD, should all burn the same.
I've done it before in an old school 6.9 IDI diesel. The engine will run OK, but it is tax evasion. In the newer pick ups it will clog the cat converter and screw up your DPF/DEF system.

WRONG
Posted By: flintlocke Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
I went to diesel skool in the late 60's, even back then, sulfur in fuel was considered as a contaminant, wreaking havoc on fuel injection pumps and injectors. High sulfur contributed to lube oil failure due to acid formation. If an engine was well worn, and the lead/tin overlay on the bearings was gone exposing the copper, the acidic lube oil would destroy the bearings. The rumor that sulfur has some benefit to diesel engines is 180 out.
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
My best friends dad who's now retired and has been for years now, used to buy, sell and raise beef cattle. He used a 32' trailer that he pulled with a Dodge Dually with the Cummins diesel. I dont think any of his trucks ever saw road taxed diesel. He would always fill up at the farm with the old hand crank pump and tank of the farm use stuff and he never got messed with. He did that for many years. And as for DEF fluid, just save your piss and use it. Same stuff.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita

I'm unaware of any industry or use for high sulphur diesel and I would wonder about the ability to actually get it? Most everything ULSD, should all burn the same.

There hasn't been HS diesel fuel at the refinery/rack in years.....many years. It's all ULSD, and yes, the only difference is the red dye. In TX it amounts to about 45cts/gallon cost difference.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/01/22
We could very easily run dyed fuel in our pickups but do not go that route.

And it's not so much that I'm worried about getting caught, it just seems a little bit of a weasel move not paying the road tax when we're driving down the road.

Assuming the tax actually goes to road maintenance...
Posted By: akasparky Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
You're a righteous man Sam Olson.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Road taxes are about as fair a tax as we pay.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Running a deleted diesel truck will cost you more than running off-road diesel fuel. I've heard of people getting checked by the dot azzholes but so far I've been lucky.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Dodging taxes is a patriotic duty.
Posted By: strikeu Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson

And it's not so much that I'm worried about getting caught, it just seems a little bit of a weasel move not paying the road tax when we're driving down the road.

JFC what a self righteous ignorant and naive post. you actually think the taxes you pay on fuel goes to improve roads?? what an idiot you are.
I'd not jump on Sam Olsen, one of the nicest, and popular posters here.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What's that have to do with driving a deleted truck. Your either pregnant or your not. But then you think the road on fuel is the fairest tax. How about all the people who drive hybrids, electric vehicles or use mass transit paid for by the taxpayers.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by strikeu

JFC what a self righteous ignorant and naive post. you actually think the taxes you pay on fuel goes to improve roads?? what an idiot you are.

I admit to not being an expert on where the fuel tax actually goes.

As I said, assuming the tax actually goes to road maintenance.
Posted By: ldholton Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22

Strike , must be a product of the don't ask don't tell era. The Navy man at that probably submarine you know 200 men go down and 100 couples come up..
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What's that have to do with driving a deleted truck. Your either pregnant or your not. But then you think the road on fuel is the fairest tax. How about all the people who drive hybrids, electric vehicles or use mass transit paid for by the taxpayers.

I have no problem with people running deleted diesel pickups as I don't believe in the climate change hoax.

And if people run dyed fuel on the highway I really don't give a chit, just not how we roll. Honestly not into others peoples business unless they are fuucking with my world.
Rather hostile, wound up old fuuckhead if I do say so myself....lol

People cheat on their income taxes too, are we self righteous fools for not trying to cheat out of what we owe?
Posted By: jackmountain Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Rather hostile, wound up old fuuckhead if I do say so myself....lol

People cheat on their income taxes too, are we self righteous fools for not trying to cheat out of what we owe?

I’m pretty sure I paid in about 10x what I used this year. FJB and everyone that didn’t vote for trump.
It's our reward for being successful at actually producing something of value.

And speaking of fools, I sometimes wonder if working like this is a waste of time/life?

How many lazy fuucks work 30-40 hour weeks and basically do nothing of worth, not to mention all the lazy fuucks that don't even work.

Our town is full of worthless young people who literally just 'hang out' all day, everyday.
It's our reward for being successful at actually producing something of value.

And speaking of fools, I sometimes wonder if working like this is a waste of time/life?

How many lazy fuucks work 30-40 hour weeks and basically do nothing of worth, not to mention all the lazy fuucks that don't even work.

Our town is full of worthless young people who literally just 'hang out' all day, everyday.
No way it’s a waste. Id rather work for free than sit at home doing nothing. You got only so many hours on this earth. Make the most of them. Sitting at home watching TV is the waste.
Work hard, play hard.
Posted By: blanket Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Some around here use refuelling tanks in the bed of the trucks with a check valve and a ball valve to skate the tax bs.. They dip all the time around here.
I heard some crazy story about how they check for red dye by testing the exhaust.

Probably a bullchit story.
Posted By: strikeu Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by ldholton

Strike , must be a product of the don't ask don't tell era. The Navy man at that probably submarine you know 200 men go down and 100 couples come up..

I flew jets for the Navy Cock head, served for 28 years. what was your contribution to this country? besides bein a self righteous F UCK
Posted By: Longbob Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by blanket
Some around here use refuelling tanks in the bed of the trucks with a check valve and a ball valve to skate the tax bs.. They dip all the time around here.

Don't see how that would prevent them from detecting the red dye in the main fuel tank. The refueling tank fills the main tank and the dye would be present. Right?

I flew jets for the Navy Cock head, served for 28 years. what was your contribution to this country? besides bein a self righteous F UCK
LMAO ....
Posted By: sierrabravo45 Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
I had a “friend” with a VW Jetta TDI. That thing would get 40+mpg. He always seemed to fill up at the 500 gallon tank that was on the farm. From what my friend told me. No one ever checked diesel cars.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
I’m with Sam. It’s not worth the hassle or stress. I don’t mind paying for what I use but like most of the good guys here we’re paying our fair share and the fair share of probably a dozen or more people that don’t carry their weight. I don’t like feeling like I have to be looking over my shoulder all the time. So far I’ve led a good clean life where looking over my shoulder consists of great memories, I ain’t letting a tankful of cheap diesel screw that up. 😂
In this corner wearing the white trunks,------. and in this corner wearing the black trunks--. laugh
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’m with Sam. It’s not worth the hassle or stress. I don’t mind paying for what I use but like most of the good guys here we’re paying our fair share and the fair share of probably a dozen or more people that don’t carry their weight. I don’t like feeling like I have to be looking over my shoulder all the time and so far I’ve led a good clean life where looking over my shoulder consists of great memories, I ain’t letting a tankful of diesel screw that up. 😂

I’d Fugk .gov’s mom given the chance.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’m with Sam. It’s not worth the hassle or stress. I don’t mind paying for what I use but like most of the good guys here we’re paying our fair share and the fair share of probably a dozen or more people that don’t carry their weight. I don’t like feeling like I have to be looking over my shoulder all the time and so far I’ve led a good clean life where looking over my shoulder consists of great memories, I ain’t letting a tankful of diesel screw that up. 😂

I’d Fugk .gov’s mom given the chance.

I certainly understand the sentiment and I don’t disagree. 😉
Don't know how, they would need cause to do that and just say [bleep] off
Posted By: toad Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
I am in Sam's camp. Could run off road fuel, but I don't, and I pay my taxes and other debts whether or not anyone even cares.
I may be an a$$hole sometimes, but I ain't a freeloader or thief.
Posted By: Savageguy Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Around here the DOT will set up near exit ramps on Friday evening occasionally checking pipeliners on their way home, from what I understand the fines run about $2,500.
Posted By: irfubar Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by toad
I am in Sam's camp. Could run off road fuel, but I don't, and I pay my taxes and other debts whether or not anyone even cares.
I may be an a$$hole sometimes, but I Ain't a freeloader or thief.

This is the correct attitude.... avoiding tax's and cheating tax's are two different things.
Two wrongs don't make a right!!
Why would you be a thief, most diesel trucks here are used on a farm
LMAO ...
Why would you be a thief, most diesel trucks here are used on a farm
Was referring to other debts
I don't care how others roll, and most ranch trucks here do spend a healthy chunk of their life off the road
LMAO ...

That is funny.... they don't need no stinkin "cause"
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
If the police need a warrant to search your car without probable cause, wouldn't they need one to check your truck?
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
If the police need a warrant to search your car without probable cause, wouldn't they need one to check your truck?

The road nazi dot police can pull you over for no reason and crawl up your azz and make a nest...
Posted By: Hypocrite Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
If the guy down the street steals your kids bike are you wrong to go get it back?

If the government taxes your vehicles when you buy them,when you sell them, when you register them,when you buy new tires, all that and more after taxing your money when you earned it. Are you really wrong when you try and get some of that back?

My truck runs on gas, but I’d never fault someone for running fruit punch flavor diesel.

P.s. wear your mask and get boosted, you could face a fine or lose your job!
Never been checked, but I heard a private pickup here can refuse the dip, but not commercial.
Thinking about this a little more, maybe I am naive?

But, I like our state road department and am still under the assumption that some of the fuel tax goes to their fund.

Those boys will be out plowing roads when the rest of .gov take a weather day because of a blizzard.
So it is stealing running a farm truck on off road diesel [bleep] you
Posted By: JGRaider Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22

No, I think it's more like evading taxes by running red diesel in a highway truck.
Not sure who you're replying to but I'm talking about pickup trucks that spend a fair share of their time on a public roadway.
Posted By: TheKid Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
What about roading a 20 ton tractor and plow down the highway, surely that doesn’t do the roadway any good?

Or driving a semi loaded with grain or cattle down the highway with no CDL because it’s got farm tags?

I hear where you’re coming from Sam and I can plainly see and understand both sides. Just the damn guvment being the damn guvment.
Kid, 20 ton tractor has big, wide tires. We try to avoid soil compaction and the wider the tires the better.

Around here overweight trucks do 99.9% of the damage to roads.

And around harvest time the state gestapo will indeed stop and check your truck for weight. They have a portable scale.

Oh and they might check your fuel while they're at it.

Word gets out real quick when the goon is around....lol
Originally Posted by TheKid
What about roading a 20 ton tractor and plow down the highway, surely that doesn’t do the roadway any good?

Or driving a semi loaded with grain or cattle down the highway with no CDL because it’s got farm tags?

I hear where you’re coming from Sam and I can plainly see and understand both sides. Just the damn guvment being the damn guvment.
No CDL in a semi ... Do that nowadays and get stopped let us know how that turns out ...
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Damn you fuggers are relentless
Posted By: SandBilly Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
🤣

Holy shît. 🤣
Most common here
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
CDL's are for pussies.
Posted By: TheKid Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
There’s dozens of them right now around here cutting wheat. Farm plates and they have to stay within a mileage radius of where they’re registered. Not uncommon to see high school kids hauling grain in semis during harvest.
https://www.ok.gov/ohpcmve/Information/Agriculture/index.html
Here you go.
Posted By: dakotakidd Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
They make clear diesel 😂 ??
Originally Posted by TheKid
There’s dozens of them right now around here cutting wheat. Farm plates and they have to stay within a mileage radius of where they’re registered. Not uncommon to see high school kids hauling grain in semis during harvest.
https://www.ok.gov/ohpcmve/Information/Agriculture/index.html
Here you go.
You are correct in some states under 150 miles that is legit or under $26,000 pounds and assuming unlimited miles States may vary though and there is so much gray area it is a crap shoot nowadays in my opinion. And then you add air brakes into the equation as an endorsement. What one dot agent is good another may have issue with.. that's the problem with so many dot laws and how they're written or so much gray area open to interpretation
Originally Posted by dakotakidd
They make clear diesel 😂 ??

We call this one Red Dye.
(slight chortle)

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Valsdad Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Are you an internet influencer for Yeti?

smirk
So, why hasn't some smart chemistry student come up with a way to neutralize the coloring agent?

I seem to remember many projects in various chemistry classes where one would titrate in one chemical into a solution until the color changed.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

smirk

Inside joke.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
When i was a DOT cop we had a guy come into a check point in an F350. He had locking has caps. The nitwits from the state wanted to do his tank. He wouldn't unlock the cap. The revenue guys tried to get me to force him to do it. I told him we needed a search warrant to do that. I asked them what their PC was. I sent the guy down the road...
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
I want locking fuel caps, for Memphis and such places.

F'k the government!
Posted By: milespatton Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
As long as it stays on the farm, it is OK, but once it travels on a highway, it is illegal. No highway use taxes paid on red fuel. miles
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Most states follow feds and use the automobile exception to the 4th amendment.
Additionally, operation of a vehicle is a privilege not a right, the privilege you agree to authorize fuel inspections.
Each state has its own rules and regulations, that is what is great about individual states.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
4th amendment still applies
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Arbitrary way for government to rip us off. Like almost every other thing they do. Fuggem. We pay more than enough taxes as it is.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Arbitrary way for government to rip us off. Like almost every other thing they do. Fuggem. We pay more than enough taxes as it is.

Might as well cheat on all of your taxes then and hope you don't get caught.
Posted By: Teal Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That's like complaining someone stopped a thief from stealing their catalytic converter.

Not getting raped isn't cheating the rapist.

He'll yeah, it's called creative financing.

That's like complaining someone stopped a thief from stealing their catalytic converter.

Not getting raped isn't cheating the rapist.

Correct

I do not mind taxes as a concept. I do mind very much being lied to and stolen from and manipulated.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

smirk

Inside joke.
Well, maybe you should write to them and ask for some compensation!

Tell them you've got Eastern MT covered. grin
Posted By: jackmountain Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/03/22
Thinking about this a little more, maybe I am naive?

But, I like our state road department and am still under the assumption that some of the fuel tax goes to their fund.

Those boys will be out plowing roads when the rest of .gov take a weather day because of a blizzard.

Dude, where the fugk you been?! They don’t need your $$, they got a printing press up in DC running 24/7.
40% of all US dollars in circulation were created out of thin air within the last two years. These fugks are serving in congress making $175k a year for 20 years, living like Celebrities, then retiring worth 10’s of millions?! And you’re fretting running red diesel in your Sunday goin to meeting truck?
You should be running off road diesel on a trip to fugk these crooks moms.

I do not mind taxes as a concept. I do mind very much being lied to and stolen from and manipulated.

You apparently “mind” voting for Trump too.
You own this scheit dumbazz. Keep voting 3rd party you virtue signaling Fugk.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/03/22
Geno, you know I'm a sucker for ice cold drinks!

Jack, Sunday go to meeting truck?

Fuuck I don't have any meetings or church!
Geno, you know I'm a sucker for ice cold drinks!

Jack, Sunday go to meeting truck?

Fuuck I don't have any meetings or church!
Feelings of guilt is for fat girls eating ice cream sundaes.
Run dyed diesel with a beer in the cup holder while texting and quit worrying about the tax payer supporters lazy fugks on the DOT payroll.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/03/22
You heathens are all going to hell!
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/03/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain

You apparently “mind” voting for Trump too.
You own this scheit dumbazz. Keep voting 3rd party you virtue signaling Fugk.

Still preoccupied with my voting habits huh?

Should get a hobby or something. fugk.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: "Dyed" diesel - 06/03/22
Back when farm diesel was still high sulfur, agents would patrol the stockyards and "sniff" the tailpipes of every pickup in the lot. A bunch of local guys got busted.

Now that everything is ultra low sulfur, I don't hear much about busts.

I have hauled a lot of red diesel home for the tractors in five gallon jugs. The only diesel pickup I have owned was a '84 Chevy 6.2. Only road rated in that old girl, because the alternative at the time was high Sulfur. The cost savings definitely were not equal to the risk.
© 24hourcampfire