Home
Posted By: stxhunter My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Posted By: Sprint11 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Ah man Rodger. Gd bless ya. But as the Man said, you'd best behave.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Hey Dad.

Seems like an ornery one!
Posted By: antlers Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Sad to see.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Sad to see.
We will all be there someday.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Hey Dad.

He was being nice.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
That's part of life, and seen it replay many times over.

Glad he's there with you, Roger. That's how it should be.

Bless him.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Sad to see.
That's what makes it sad.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Life’s weird sometimes. We just have to take it as it comes. I sure miss my mom and dad.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Disable his pistol as sly as you can Roger.
If you already haven't.
Firing pin on a revolver or pistol filed down job.
Especially if he is coherant in that clip which he seems to be compared to what you have expressed to how he is at other times.

Good on you for taking care of him at home.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Alot of people would wash their hands of it all and send their parent off to a nursing home.
Posted By: rainshot Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
God Bless him and you..
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Life’s weird sometimes. We just have to take it as it comes. I sure miss my mom and dad.
My dad's 90.5 and still going strong. He chooses to use the walker to be safe, but sometimes forgets and realizes he's been walking around without it (which he, mostly, can do fine). Still sharp, too. Never let his license to practice medicine expire, so still prescribes for family.

I miss my mom who passed away a few years ago. She was bedridden for the last few months, like Roger's dad is.
Posted By: Jiveturkey Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
I'd watch, but can't. Watched my dad slowly die 5 months ago. Had to take mom to ER last night for bleeding ulcer. God bless you and your dad. Said a prayer for him.
Originally Posted by renegade50
If you already haven't.
Especially if he is coherant in that clip which he seems to be compared to what you have expressed to how he is at other times.

Alot of people would wash their hands of it all and send their parent off to a nursing home.
He doesn't remember the combo to the safe.
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
I'd watch, but can't. Watched my dad slowly die 5 months ago. Had to take mom to ER last night for bleeding ulcer. God bless you and your dad. Said a prayer for him.
Thank you
He spends a lot of time singing now, I never knew he could sing or that he has a good voice. He was first chair trumpet in the Army band in DC when Kennedy was president.
Posted By: kenacp Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
God bless you STX.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Roger;
Good afternoon sir.

I've taken 3 runs at what I want to articulate to you my old cyber friend and erased them all.

As you might recall, we dealt with dementia in my much loved Mother in Law for more than 6 years and for nearly 3 years with my Mother.

Someday I really should write down all it taught us Roger. Maybe doing that would help someone else going through what we did, I don't know.

I will remember you and your family in my prayers though sir, that I will do.

Dwayne
Posted By: blindshooter Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Sad to see.

Yes we will.

God bless you and hold tight.
Posted By: ingwe Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Roger, you are in my thoughts.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Hope I live that long. You’re a good man Rog. I also hope I can take care of my old man when he reaches that stage. He lives over a thousand miles away in Arkansas though. Thanks for posting this.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Good on you Rog for taking care of him.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Hey Dad.

He was being nice.
That's what I figured.

Our Mom was in a home for the last 8 or more years, even with caretakers she couldn't stay at home.

So happy for your dad he gets to be with you folks. Wish we could have done that for mom. And, for a nice Catholic lady she sure got ornery at times too.

Won't mean much, but tell your dad I'd like to meet him.
Posted By: TimZ Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Now Dad's a cantankerous so and so! God Bless him, and may you keep your patience....
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22

Nice to see he still has a sense of humor ! My Mom and Dad are both 86, dreading the day when something goes bad. How old is he ? Take care Rog !
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Try to record his singing.
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER

Nice to see he still has a sense of humor ! My Mom and Dad are both 86, dreading the day when something goes bad. How old is he ? Take care Rog !
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Try to record his singing.
I will, mostly military cadence.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
If you already haven't.

Gotcha...
Thought he might have one accessible within reach.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
If you already haven't.

Gotcha...
Thought he might have one accessible within reach.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
He doesn't have the strength to rack the slide, and I keep all the ammo in my room, for the revolvers especially.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Your dad’s pretty cool, and he’s tired of your BS!
Posted By: OGB Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
Your a good son Rog.

Doubt I have much clout but I'll shoot off some knee mail for the both of you.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/01/22
I watched earlier, but just getting a chance to comment.

Good on you for watching over your Dad, Roger. So many people wouldn't do it. You're a good son.

It's tough to see a strong willed man in decline, but it has to be far tougher for him. My own Dad will be 82 in August and has prostate cancer, which he refuses treatment for. I think he's without purpose after losing my step-mom in 2018.

I hope you're able to get some quality time with him while you're still able. Lord knows that life is short enough, and all we really have are the good people in our lives.
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Dad passed at 84 two years ago and always said once a man and twice a child. Bless you STX and I have been there and done that. Really tough job... Be Strong like he taught you to be.....
Posted By: Gypsy_Wind Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
God bless, Roger. After watching my dad and his siblings care for grandma from 91-93yo so she could live out her days on the farm, I am aware what a labor of love you and yours have committed to. I’ll say a pray tonight that your family enjoys more good days than bad with the old soldier.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
schiddt man......

bless you.........

I ain't dying in no damm bed..............
Posted By: smokepole Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by rainshot
God Bless him and you..

Yep.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
I bet your Dad was one neat dude in his day. He clearly has some real spunk left in him. Continued prayers for you boys, from us in N.C.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
You're a good boy Rog, Thanx for taking care of the old man I for one appreciate your willingness to do what so few are willing to do.

I took care of my mother for 3 years after dad passed, she had emphysema. It was a lot of work to do so but it was an honor to hold my mothers hand as she passed.

Enjoy what few moments you have left with Pop, you'll never look back and regret any of the time you spent doing so.
Posted By: PintsofCraft Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
That hits pretty close to home - hang in there.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
That hits pretty close to home - hang in there.

L I K E
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
That's tough duty, and very time consuming, but well worth it. I'm very lucky to have a younger brother that is my Dad's main care giver. My Dad still gets around with a walker, and next week is my turn to look after him.
Posted By: jc189 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Roger, Your a good son for taking care of your Father at home. God Bless you. Some times it can be tough. Have patience, and enjoy your time with him. My parents always told me they didn't want be put in no Dam nursing home. Dad passed in 2005 doing what he enjoyed to do at home till the end, he was 86. My Mom lives with me and I take care of her. She is 95 years old. She wakes up every day with a smile and regularly tells me how thankful she is to be with family. I figure they took care of us when we were young. Now its time to take care of them.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Sorry for your loss STX. I lost my Dad this year also.

Ron
Posted By: 12344mag Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by jc189
I figure they took care of us when we were young. Now its time to take care of them.

Lol, reminds me of a conversation my mother and I had. She was complaining about being a burden on my sister and I and I told her that she changed my diaper for 2 years so it was my duty to change her diaper for 2 years after that if I get sick of it I'd just put a pillow over her face while she was sleeping, She smiled at me chuckled and said "That's a DEAL!!"
Posted By: Davelefty Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
You're a dutiful and caring son.
God bless you and your family.
Been there - done that. DJB
Posted By: Masshunter Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Tough to go through. Thankfully my Dad went fast, but Mom lingered like that for two years. Bless you for taking care of him.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I bet your Dad was one neat dude in his day. He clearly has some real spunk left in him. Continued prayers for you boys, from us in N.C.
back in the 80s and early 90s he competed in the top levels of IPSC.
Posted By: Raferman Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
back in the 80s and early 90s he competed in the top levels of IPSC.
What's your old mans favorite pistol?
Posted By: Batchief909 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
You're a good man, Roger...
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I watched earlier, but just getting a chance to comment.

Good on you for watching over your Dad, Roger. So many people wouldn't do it. You're a good son.

It's tough to see a strong willed man in decline, but it has to be far tougher for him. My own Dad will be 82 in August and has prostate cancer, which he refuses treatment for. I think he's without purpose after losing my step-mom in 2018.

I hope you're able to get some quality time with him while you're still able. Lord knows that life is short enough, and all we really have are the good people in our lives.
No kidding I'm going to be 59 in a couple of weeks, and I still think I'm 20 something.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Good luck Roger.

Hell of a thing.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
I'm kinda choked up.
Think I'll do a video every day.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Good man Rodger.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Good man Rodger.

Damn right.
If you already haven't.

Rog we're just about exactly the same age and I went through this pretty much exactly with my dad a few years ago. I gotta tell ya, the ol' boy makes me smile. They don't have a lot of filters in that condition and pretty much say whatever is at the tip of their tongue. You take it with good humor and that's all you can do. Plus every once in a while there's a nugget - like when he just slipped in telling you he loves you. I got a couple of those and that's what I care to remember. Enjoy your time with him and I look forward to those daily vids. I wish you well.

ps My mom asked me to take his Sig 226 home because he was talking about it all the time. I told her don't worry, he's too weak to pull the slide back, but to be safe, I took out the firing pin. He asked about it when I was there and I thought I'd humor him and got the gun. He took it out, popped an empty mag in and racked the slide like he was ready to rock and roll. Whoa. We kept the gun there because he'd be pissed if it was missing, but it was disabled and ammo was completely cleared out of the house.
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
My mom is in the same condition. Just spend 10 days in Idaho putting her in a home. She didn't want any part of it but now she's happy with her new friends, bingo, and card games. I came home with covid and wife has it now. Oh well, had to do what I had to do.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
I pray for continued strength for you Roger. I am guessing that sometime in the future, you'll be glad you have these videos of Dad to look back on.......

Frog----OUT!
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
I know you have had some issues with him, and it's not been easy, but he is still your Dad. Prayers for you and your family, Roger
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Bless you Roger! I’ve been there and its one of the toughest jobs I ever had to do! Miss Mom/Dad every day!
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Good job Sir. We have stayed with Mom and Dad (passed Dec 21, 21) now for a while. It isn't easy, but while you can it is a blessing to them. Good on you and those aiding in his care. God bless, will remember you all in my prayers.
Posted By: Raeford Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Mind as sharp as a tack!
Be hell watching your body leave ya!

God bless ya Roger
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Stay strong.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Sad to see.

I am working real hard to make sure I don't...

Watched my father go through the same. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Your Dad is a piece of work, thanks for the videos Rodger they cover a lot of different emotions.
Got up last night and he had the stove on, the broiler, and all the burners on in his room full blast, going to have to unplug it.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
God Bless him Stxhunter. I buried my cantakerous Dad Saturday. 86. Tough SOB who touched so many lives. Miss him already- still not sure I am dealing with it.
Posted By: Cecil56 Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
WOW! Hope I have a child to watch over me as my health declines. God Bless you.
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
Think I'll do a video every day.

You should, I like him the more I see him. smile
Posted By: ribka Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22

Sad to see your Dad like that at the end of his life. Bet he was a real stud as a younger man

all you can do is try and make his passing comfortable...
Originally Posted by ribka

Sad to see your Dad like that at the end of his life. Bet he was a real stud as a younger man

all you can do is try and make his passing comfortable...
he was one of the top ten IPSC shooters in texas back in the day.
Posted By: rong Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/02/22
He's got some spunk for sure,
Best of luck thru this.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/03/22
earlier, the rubber band reference was because he had peed himself and we'd showered him and changed the bedding, I asked him if he wanted a rubber band to put on his pecker, but he didn't find it funny.

"I put 5 beers in my satchel so you sumbitches don't drink it all!" Oh schit! My sides hurt from laughing! He's a cool old dude.
Posted By: Nollij Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/03/22
Good on ya stx. My folks are 300 yards up the hill, I turn the shop lights on up there every morning and check on them. I would guess I'm in the same boat you are, you don't think about it, you just do it.

The folks need help with more things just about every day. I'm glad I can help. The way I see it, it's part of this arrangement we call life. Have a good weekend, and keep posting videos.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/03/22
Originally Posted by Nollij
Good on ya stx. My folks are 300 yards up the hill, I turn the shop lights on up there every morning and check on them. I would guess I'm in the same boat you are, you don't think about it, you just do it.

The folks need help with more things just about every day. I'm glad I can help. The way I see it, it's part of this arrangement we call life. Have a good weekend, and keep posting videos.
They took good care of me, raising me, returning that is no biggie, but trying sometimes.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: My Dad earlier today - 06/04/22
Today was a good day.

© 24hourcampfire