Home
What are your go to watches..

Historically I wore seriously tough chrono’s….

now I’m dressing up a bit and … those big old chrono’s aren’t cutting it.
Tough to beat a bertucci.

I’ve got a couple.

Plastic / resin / whatever case and a titanium.

Bertucci has good sales on used watches. Cleaned, new battery, new strap.
Seiko Presage have beautiful dials for a great price in an automatic watch in my opinion.
Not much of a watch guy, but really like Seiko dive watches.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Check out a Hamilton Jazzmaster or a Khaki Field Officer.
Watch ?
Jazz master
All I wear is a thin field/ military style analog quartz watch, 36-38 mm size. Todays big watches just don’t do it for me. They get hung up on everything, they’re heavy, and you can’t even get your hands in your pockets.

Brands are Momentum out of Canada, Vaer from California, Timex, an older Swiss made LLBean and a Hamilton made LLBean that my dad had that I had restored.

I keep a couple that I only wear on special occasions that are not beat up and look dressy.
The Calatrava from Patek Phillipe is a nice dress watch.
I just checked on a NIB ESQUIRE Swiss Movement that was never worn. Vintage early 90s. I decided to give Dad a different one instead and that I didn't want to bang up the nice dress watch since I've always been hard on them. It's rectangular with roman numerals, gloss black leather band embossed texture. Still in storage.

I am trying to find my slender Casio that has the features I like. I set it aside for a time and started using the phone.
Not a good idea. When I find it. I will make a cover for it to keep it from getting dinged up.
Seiko Divers
I wore a timex ironman for long time. Then a tissot ti, then a tag, and now a Samsung smart watch. Not a fan of the big thick watches either but...
I’m sporting a Bertucci Ti field watch, and am plenty happy with it. They sell dressier watches as well, especially if you go with a leather strap versus nylon webbing.
I have worn Casio G Shocks for about 15 years now, however when I need to dress it up, I went with a Seiko solar automatic in gold......
I probably have six or seven watches in my dresser drawer, but hardly ever wear any of them. Maybe once a year there will be an occasion to wear a dress watch and then I'll find that all of them but one have dead batteries. That one is the wind-up Waltham I got for grade school graduation back in 1961. It always works.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I prefer watches that don't require batteries. Seems whenever I pull a nice watch out of the drawer it's battery is dead. Citizen Eco-Drive watches use light to recharge the permanent battery. Can't leave it in a drawer for months though since it needs light to recharge.

[img]https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Watc...atteries&qid=1654430497&sr=8-20#[/img]
Watches are interesting, but totally unnecessary for me, just a form of jewelry, and something else to clutter up my life. Have a few electrics, all dead, lying around, and an old stainless Breitling that needs an overhaul that it’ll never get, unless I get very bored.
I have two watches that I use, a Rolex gold and stainless Datejust I got myself as a 21st birthday present in 1969 and an Apple Watch my wife got me for my 70th birthday. The Rolex because it’s been through a lot with me over the past fifty some years and the Apple Watch because it’s so damn useful.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Tough to beat a bertucci.

I’ve got a couple.

Plastic / resin / whatever case and a titanium.

Bertucci has good sales on used watches. Cleaned, new battery, new strap.

Agreed.

They're not really dressy, but I can't imagine dressing so that mine would look out of place...
I wear a Citizen Titanium ecodrive. It’s a very nice lightweight watch.
Originally Posted by mathman

Nice choice. Have you ever read Ol' Remus' (Woodpile Report) column about watches? He died, and he did not archive his column so I can't fetch it for you, but it's a classic and Patek Phillipe figures large in it.
Special occasion watch and Mickey Mouse.

Rolex wishes they could make such an elegant watch...

I'm with Special K on the Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium watch. Best one that I've ever owned. Not sure if it is a dress watch or not, but I'm not out to make a fashion statement and if it isn't dressy enough, I'm probably out of place there anyway. The boss wore those knock off Rolex jobs and he was an ostentatious individual as fake as his watch was.
Citizen Eco here. I hate setting the time and they are spot on with regards to time keeping. I also have a Tag AquaRacer automatic and it's the epitome of a piece o' scheit; it doesn't keep good time.
Originally Posted by devnull
Citizen Eco here. I hate setting the time and they are spot on with regards to time keeping. I also have a Tag AquaRacer automatic and it's the epitome of a piece o' scheit; it doesn't keep good time.

Is it too fast?
Yeah no dead pool watches…

I do like citizen Eco-drives..

Right now I like pilot type watches .. and picked up a Seiko SNN241… pretty nice…

But I need a couple other styles as well…

[Linked Image]
Any selection from Laco, Omega, Oris, Tag Heuer, Zenith

Laco has some uber-cool watches that are very affordable:

https://www.watchmann.com/lacopilotwatches.php
Hamilton Jazzmasters are 800+ bucks….

Up NOPE…. I’m ok if it’s up to 200+ but incrementally from there not so much.

I’m not trying to compensate, I’m just trying to look good.

smile
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Nice choice. Have you ever read Ol' Remus' (Woodpile Report) column about watches? He died, and he did not archive his column so I can't fetch it for you, but it's a classic and Patek Phillipe figures large in it.

Patek Phillipe has long had the reputation as "World's finest watch." The O.P. mentioned "reasonable." I do not think he meant as "reasonable" as a Patek. wink

L.W.
i wear a Bulova classic. i just like the simple lines and look of it
I was waiting for someone to notice. grin
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

smile

That is fine, but it will pretty much limit you to quartz. Nothing wrong with that. You can find some very nice looking dress watches in quartz.
What are your go to watches..

Historically I wore seriously tough chrono’s….

now I’m dressing up a bit and … those big old chrono’s aren’t cutting it.
Movado..
Seiko Mickey Mouse.
Educate me - that’s why I started this here..

So what should one expect above / below a dollar level.

I thought Rolex were good until I had one and it didn’t keep time - then I found out that they need to be regulated (calibrated) every so many years to keep good time…

Does that come along with all high end watches ?

Thnx

Originally Posted by Longbob

smile

That is fine, but it will pretty much limit you to quartz. Nothing wrong with that. You can find some very nice looking dress watches in quartz.
A Citizen Eco guy also. Seems like every time change I’m on the internet looking for help with resetting the time.

I don't think anyone "got" this...
Educate me - that’s why I started this here..

So what should one expect above / below a dollar level.

I thought Rolex were good until I had one and it didn’t keep time - then I found out that they need to be regulated (calibrated) every so many years to keep good time…

Does that come along with all high end watches ?

T

smile

I posted this in the other thread from Johnw.

Quartz watches are inherently more accurate that mechanical or automatic watches like a Rolex. Plus or minus a couple of seconds a day for a mechanical watch is super accurate as compared to a quartz watch that would be plus or minus a couple of seconds a month in many cases. An amazing feat of engineering is a Grand Seiko spring drive. It is a combination of mechanical and quartz.

Probably the most accurate watches are the quartz atomic watches that read the radio signal each day. They are plus or minus a second every hundred thousand years.

Mechanical or automatic watches like a Rolex, Patek Philipe, Vacheron Constantine, Audemars Piguet (the last three are the holy grail of Swiss Watch makers) are on the constant search for accuracy and complex complications. A complication is basically any feature in a watch beyond the hour and minute hand. Things like a day, date, chronograph, moon phase, etc... are considered complications. A tourbillon is an additional feature in a mechanical movement that is supposed to compensate for gravity in order to keep a mechanical watch more accurate as you move. Those are generally very expensive. The most complicated complication and generally the most expensive watches are minute repeaters. This is a mechanical watch that will tell the time by sound when you push a button/move a button on the watch.

All of that is mechanical ingenuity and artistry that is appreciated by some and others don't find it necessary.

A quartz watch is a very simple watch movement that sends an electric current through a quartz crystal. This causes the quartz crystal to vibrate a 32,768 times per second. This is very consistent and repeatable. I don't know how this was figured out, but it was invented by Seiko with their Astron watch in 1969. It shook the watch industry and created what was called the quartz crisis in the 70's early 80's. The Swiss mechanical watches dropped dramatically in value and the industry cut a lot of jobs during that time.

One of the most fascinating watches is a Grand Seiko spring drive as I mentioned it is a combination of both and a $10,000 Grand Seiko is as well made of a watch as an $80,000 Patek Philipe. They are simply stunning and have some of the most amazing dials I have ever seen. The watch industry is very hot at the moment. You would be lucky to get a Rolex "Panda" (Daytona with a white face and black outlines) for retail of approximately $15,000 because you could immediately sell it for nearly $50,000 in the after market. This is a stainless watch and bracelet mind you. Many of the Patek Philipe watches retail for far more than that.

Some manufacturers will make both a mechanical/automatic watch and a line of quartz watches. You will see the price differences pretty quickly. I think Seiko offers some of the best values in beautiful automatic watches of quality. I mentioned the Seiko Presage series. Considering the movement and the price of these it amazes me how much you get. This watch is about $425. It isn't as accurate as a quartz watch, but it has a soul in my opinion. I enjoy setting my watch periodically as part of the experience. Full disclosure. I set my mechanical watches to my Citizen quartz atomic solar watch or iPhone in a pinch.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

This one of the most fascinating watches I have ever seen and it is by F.P. Journe. It is called their "Only Watch." I think it is about $800,000 if you could find one.

[Linked Image from k8q7r7a2.stackpathcdn.com]

This is how the hand will change to tell the time. I would have to tatoo it on my arm to remember.

[Linked Image from k8q7r7a2.stackpathcdn.com]

This is probably way more than you wanted to know and I apologize for getting into the weeds, but I love watches of all kinds. Especially the mechanical watches.
My everyday work watch is also my dress watch, a Casio Forester.
Mmmmm…. Grand Seiko spring drive “Snowflake”
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

A Lake Suwa, Snowflake, and White Birch are all on my list as I shop around.
Oh, that White Birch is amazing too. The thing is, is that I really have no occasion to wear anything nicer than a relatively inexpensive field watch. Shoveling manure compost wearing a $5k or more watch??!!??

But as a former machinist, I am fascinated by fine horology.
Oh, that White Birch is amazing too. The thing is, is that I really have no occasion to wear anything nicer than a relatively inexpensive field watch. Shoveling manure compost wearing a $5k or more watch??!!??

But as a former machinist, I am fascinated by fine horology.

I hear you. I have been wearing my $75 Gshock all day working in the yard and around the house, but I have plenty of other opportunities to wear something nicer as the mood hits me.
Gay
Look like you’re under $200, so go with Orient Bambino. I have the cream dial it’s blue hands V2. There’s lots out there. Also some Timex options like the M79 and Navi XL that could meet your criteria.

A Lake Suwa, Snowflake, and White Birch are all on my list as I shop around.

Those spring drives are pretty cool. Been looking at them for a while. One of these days...
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Look like you’re under $200, so go with Orient Bambino. I have the cream dial it’s blue hands V2. There’s lots out there. Also some Timex options like the M79 and Navi XL that could meet your criteria.

Yes, the answer is Seiko or Orient for value and quality.
Originally Posted by Houser52
All I wear is a thin field/ military style analog quartz watch, 36-38 mm size. Todays big watches just don’t do it for me. They get hung up on everything, they’re heavy, and you can’t even get your hands in your pockets.

I had a Rolex Air King once. Heavy, uncomfortable, trouble getting that hand into a pocket. And even that watch was smaller than a lot of the men's chrono-style watches today.

Now I have a Citizen Garrison watch, eco-drive. It's about the size of your watch and it keeps better time than that Rolex ever did.

Put a dress strap on it and it's a dress watch.

Is it too fast?

I believe that is correct.

Is it too fast?

It is possibly magnetized. This happens and it is an easy fix for a service center or watch center. They will demagnetize it and it should go back to keeping better time. They won't need to take it apart.

Is it too fast?

It is possibly magnetized. This happens and it is an easy fix for a service center or watch center. They will demagnetize it and it should go back to keeping better time. They won't need to take it apart.

Thanks for this....I will check into it. I never knew that was a thing.

Is it too fast?

Thanks for this....I will check into it. I never knew that was a thing.

I didn't know it was a thing for a long time either. What happens when a watch is magnetized is the balance spring can stick together some and effectively shortening the spring which will speed up the watch. There are various ways a watch can get magnetized in everyday wearing. Some watch brands like Omega go to great lengths to prevent this as much as possible.

Hope it helps!
© 24hourcampfire