Home
I realize there are different applications, but there seems to be a ton of overlap. Even if we just look at 6.5 size calibers, can't computer simulations actually tell you what the best design would be?
We already have many perfect rounds. Would you like me to tell you what I consider perfect?
Originally Posted by Leatherneck
I realize there are different applications, but there seems to be a ton of overlap. Even if we just look at 6.5 size calibers, can't computer simulations actually tell you what the best design would be?
No.

There’s way to many variables. From wind velocity, to range, to target size and toughness (if an animal) to an individual shooters ability to handle recoil, the need for rapid follow up shots, the size and weight of the firearm, and on and on.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
No.

There’s way to many variables. From wind velocity, to range, to target size and toughness (if an animal) to an individual shooters ability to handle recoil and on and on.
Wrong. My judgment is final. laugh
To find best you must define best, and that varies with needs and circumstances.
I saw a special on just that. Years back, it was a .432 or so? Maybe someone else remembers better. They were demonstrating it at some very inspiring distances.
Said they designed the caliber and bullet first then everything around it.

Osky
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
No.

There’s way to many variables. From wind velocity, to range, to target size and toughness (if an animal) to an individual shooters ability to handle recoil and on and on.
Wrong. My judgment is final. laugh
Mine too! LOL

And hence the never ending campfire arguments!
My perceived needs are representative of everyone in the entire World. If you think you need something that I don't, you are wrong.
If you don't think you need something that I think you need, you are wrong there too.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
My perceived needs are representative of everyone in the entire World. If you think you need something that I don't, you are wrong.
If you don't think you need something that I think you need, you are wrong there too.
This chick I used to date thought exactly the same thing.

It would just spit out the 30.06 Springfield all over again....

laugh
Originally Posted by mathman
To find best you must define best, and that varies with needs and circumstances.
Can't a smart guy like yourself come up with a good formula to predict "best"?

Probably should have a few derivatives, a coupla calculations of non-linear acceleration, some algorithms, and an "X marks the spot" .
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

laugh

Beat me to it.

laugh
That or the 7x57 that it was patterned after. Depending on the primary game it wouldn’t be to far from wrong either way. Or a 7-08 or a 308 for a short action do all rifle.

laugh
Actually I think it would be the 30-06 case necked down to 6.5 or something close. I don't own a .270 but the Army just went to a 51 mm case (.308) and a 6.8 mm (.270) bullet. The idea was to drill through body armor up to 600 yards. It may not be "perfect" for everything but the Army apparently feels it's perfect for their mission. I wonder if they processed the potential round and bullet via a computerized program ?

kwg
I have most of the 30-06 Wildcats and would go with th original or the 35 Whelan
30 carbine to 30-378.
How many steps?

Bet every one was reached by someone thinking that particular
step was perfect for something.
It already did. The 35 Whelen!!!!
Different targets call for different rounds.
The 30-06 Improved, aka the .270 Winchester
270 or 7 mag
Modern software takes the magic out of the equation.
Originally Posted by Houston_2
The 30-06 Improved, aka the .270 Winchester
The .270 Winchester especially with a thin profile 24” barrel always seemed just about perfect to me for a general purpose western states big game rifle.
9mm, cased closed. It'll blow your lung slam out of your body.

Where is Glockdufus when you need him?
Physics says there's no such thing as a perfect round that can do everything.
Originally Posted by reivertom

450 Bushmaster with a .666 BC.
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by reivertom

450 Bushmaster with a .666 BC.

Originally Posted by add
Ol' poot.

Why the handle change?

[Linked Image from bluffcitytheater.com]
© 24hourcampfire