Home
Posted By: STRSWilson Medication - 06/06/22
Had a friend and his wife spend an extended weekend with us. Every few hours he was taking medication for his heart condition, his prostrate, blood sugar, on and on and on. I asked him how many pills a day and he said north of 20. His heart meds alone were more than $1,100 a month out of pocket. We are the same age and all I take are a few supplements - normal vitamins, Krill, DHEA, and Creatine. No prescribed medication.

So who here is keeping Big Pharma alive?
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Medication - 06/06/22
I take nothing and like it.

BP is 120/80 and O2 saturation is 98%

My diet is fairly schitty too. Lucky I guess.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I take nothing and like it.

BP is 120/80 and O2 saturation is 98%

My diet is fairly schitty too. Lucky I guess.
61 years old and don't take nothing either, never flu or Kung flu shot. Just had a check up B.P was 114/72
Posted By: ihookem Re: Medication - 06/06/22
I dont take any meds at all. My wife takes all kinds of stuff and does not seem to be helping her long term. I decided not to take any meds . My grandma was on 16 pills a day . When she was 70 she said , no more. She felt much better and lived med free for 11 yrs. She had a stroke and was dead 3 weeks later. Those pills dont do much sometimes. There are people that do need them though and would likely die without them. I take smoked fish . Yep, smoked whitebass and channel cats. The amount of oil in the fish almost completely take away my arthritis in my back. Sometimes however, I am so sore that I take cheap aspirins from working too much.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
I'm doing my part.
Not sure how much I spend a month but it's almost a truck payment I'd guess.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Medication - 06/06/22
just blood pressure med.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Medication - 06/06/22
I take a 220 mg wally world naproxen each morning with coffee and smokes .
For bad arthritis pain.
Day 6 without cause of knee surgery tommorow.
Pre op bs....
But I'm being a good little toady and following instructions..

My knees hips shoulders are aching to put it mildly right now.
Posted By: Deans Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Taking a statin and a drug to reduce overnight trips to pee. Was on bp meds the last few months I worked. Cardiologist took me off those after retirement. Take supplements daily as well.
Posted By: hanco Re: Medication - 06/06/22
A few vitamins
Posted By: Dutch Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Couple of supplements, D in winter, fish oil. The Pharma support is in blood thinners. Genetic clotting disorder means they’ve got me by the short-and-curlies for life. The good news is that a generic is coming very soon.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Originally Posted by Dutch
Couple of supplements, D in winter, fish oil. The Pharma support is in blood thinners. Genetic clotting disorder means they’ve got me by the short-and-curlies for life. The good news is that a generic is coming very soon.
I wonder if aspirin would do the same thing.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by Dutch
I wonder if aspirin would do the same thing.

About 10% of the prescription meds’ effectiveness. My uncle died at 44 from throwing a clot. I came “this close” at 47. Genetic lottery.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Had a friend and his wife spend an extended weekend with us. Every few hours he was taking medication for his heart condition, his prostrate, blood sugar, on and on and on. I asked him how many pills a day and he said north of 20. His heart meds alone were more than $1,100 a month out of pocket. We are the same age and all I take are a few supplements - normal vitamins, Krill, DHEA, and Creatine. No prescribed medication.

Don't get too distracted patting yourself on the back that you get run over by a garbage truck. Thank your ancestors. It's a lot less distracting and got a lot more to do with them.

PS- get rid of the creatine. Not good for you at your age.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Medication - 06/06/22
I take a blood pressure pill. A 3 month supply is like $5 my cost with insurance.
Diet has a tremendous affect on your health and how many pills you gotta swallow, so take your pick.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Blood pressure and cholesterol. Cost out of pocket is very little. Some people
that don’t take any, but when asked what’s your BP and cholesterol have no idea. It’s their choice. My mom takes a few. She survived covid at age 94, and is still pretty active.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Flomax to help me pee, Eliquis for blood clots, prilosec for heart burn and gabapentin for neuropathy after a failed back surgery. I went 7 years controlling my blood clots with baby aspirin until I forgot to take the baby aspirin on a camping trip. I would love to put big pharma out of business but God says otherwise.

kwg
Posted By: Deans Re: Medication - 06/06/22
What sux is my grandson 22 yr has been taking bp meds since his sophomore or junior year and couldn't play football anymore.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Medication - 06/06/22
For those of you doing your part, I thank you.

P
Posted By: slumlord Re: Medication - 06/06/22
I take about 20-25 meds. Or I’ll just say I am prescribed that many.

Some are “as needed” like when I get the Arby’s Shîts

As far as expense or cost? Hmmm, I have double health insurance and usually meet my out of pocket max deductible by the first 3 months of the year. So either way it is $0 out of pocket.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Just finished a round of antibiotics for an inflamed sebaceous gland. No other pharmaceuticals here.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Flinstones vitamin
Originally Posted by kwg020
Flomax to help me pee, Eliquis for blood clots, prilosec for heart burn and gabapentin for neuropathy after a failed back surgery. I went 7 years controlling my blood clots with baby aspirin until I forgot to take the baby aspirin on a camping trip. I would love to put big pharma out of business but God says otherwise.

kwg

Prilosec made my joints hurt, feet and hands numb after awhile. It may not do that to you, but I thought I’d mention it.
Some other heartburn medicine did that too, but I can’t think of the name of it right now. I thought I had arthritis, quit that crap, it went away, use tums now.
Posted By: hardway Re: Medication - 06/06/22
I hate em but need them to live.... I take a minimum of 16 to 20 capsules a day of replacement pancreas enzymes since I don't have much of one left.... then I take 3-4 pills a day so I don't get the chits too bad (lomotil).... then 40mg of pantoprazole for the acid reflux I've had for years.... and usually a half of a Percocet before bed..... I also go once a week for the last 8 months to the infusion center and get an infusion of magnesium and some other stuff because of malabsorption.

I'm still working 50 hours a week, raising 2 teens and everything else life dishes out.... pills suck but I'd be dead without em.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Had a mild heart attack 2 months ago, so now I'm taking more drugs than Hunter Biden.
Posted By: GringoCazador Re: Medication - 06/06/22
I take allergy medication, that’s it and I’m 66.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Metformin twice a day, Gabapentin three times, two blood pressure pills and an oxycodone to put me to sleep at night.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Medication - 06/06/22

Those who trust the guy in scrubs with filthy latex tubing draped over his neck from the last dozen sick patients have justified the $1,100/ month bill that keeps them sick.
Those who really care enough to take the extra effort to search for solutions may spend $100 or less/ month to enjoy good health.....life habits, clean living, good food, exercise, supplements.

Most people have allowed themselves to be convinced that the first guy is the easiest way.

For all of you guys who are suffering or have family who are, buy this and thank me later.
Book: "Is Your Cardiologist Killing You" by Dr. Sherry Rogers

https://www.naturalnurse.com/2020/01/22/is-your-cardiologist-killing-you-sherry-rogers-md/
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Medication - 06/06/22
BP, cholesterol and allergy crap.
Something for the arthritis and bad joints sometimes.

I think beer is good for lots of ailments.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Those who trust the guy in scrubs with filthy latex tubing draped over his neck from the last dozen sick patients have justified the $1,100/ month bill that keeps them sick.
Those who really care enough to take the extra effort to search for solutions may spend $100 or less/ month to enjoy good health.....life habits, clean living, good food, exercise, supplements.

Most people have allowed themselves to be convinced that the first guy is the easiest way.

For all of you guys who are suffering or have family who are, buy this and thank me later.

https://www.naturalnurse.com/2020/01/22/is-your-cardiologist-killing-you-sherry-rogers-md/
This is the absolute truth, some on here have talked about the Covid being B.S which i agree 100% but will walk right into there Dr office and walk out with a Flu shot or some other jab and bag full of pills and think nothing of it.
People need to start doing some of there own research and quite putting all there blind faith in Dr's and big Pharma.
Posted By: strikeu Re: Medication - 06/06/22
my family dies from heart disease. that's the genetic lottery. Mom has 12 Brothers and sisters. EVERY one of them has some degree of heart disease, and the ones that died including both parents? you guessed it, heart disease.

I take Blood pressure and cholesterol meds as well as metformin and allopurinol and colchicine. 56
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Metformin twice a day, Gabapentin three times, two blood pressure pills and an oxycodone to put me to sleep at night.
How dafuq do people get regular daily oxycodone and percoset

That is major taboo here

I got my abdomen sliced open from armpit to armpit recent operation. They sent me home with 5 days of oxycodone and they were useless 5mg at that.

What are the magic words I need to say to get meds for chronic pain?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Not to be a prick...but does it have something to do with where you live?
Make you suffer so they don't catch hell for over prescribing?
Originally Posted by strikeu
my family dies from heart disease. that's the genetic lottery. Mom has 12 Brothers and sisters. EVERY one of them has some degree of heart disease, and the ones that died including both parents? you guessed it, heart disease.

I take Blood pressure and cholesterol meds as well as metformin and allopurinol and colchicine. 56
While Genetics play some role in heart disease, Diet and Lifestyle play way BIGGER role.
My dad was a cowboy who rode hard and played hard, smoked drank like a fish and had his first hear attack at 42.
My grandfather didn't make it past 52 died on my birthday when I was 12. My brother just like my dad except cowboying, heart attack 4 years ago at 55 struggling with heart problems today hes just turned 59.
I'm no saint but I watched my grandfather and Dad who struggled for 20 years with heart problems and swore im not going down that path.
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Type 1 diabetic so I take two different types of insulin. Sleeping pill for insomnia, a blood pressure med, psych med, allergy pill and some pill for my asthma. Taking life sustaining prescriptions, especially insulin is what terrifies me about the world going to [bleep]. All of the life skills I've obtained to survive in the wilderness mean absolutely squat without my insulin.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

No doubt one can stave off use of medications if they eat right and get enough exercise, especially if they start early in life. There are some who are genetically predisposed to heart disease and some who have been accumulating plaque in their arteries since early adolescence, when eating habits aren't especially good (sometimes these are one and the same person). Eventually, even with healthy diet and exercise, the buildup reaches critical mass. If and when it happens to you, you'll be glad to have a guy in scrubs go in there and clean things out, and prescribe some meds to help keep it that way. Judge not lest ye be judged.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Originally Posted by slumlord

That is major taboo here

I got my abdomen sliced open from armpit to armpit recent operation. They sent me home with 5 days of oxycodone and they were useless 5mg at that.

You have any expat friends in Mexico or Central America???
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Originally Posted by sherm_61

While Genetics play some role in heart disease, Diet and Lifestyle play way BIGGER role.
My dad was a cowboy who rode hard and played hard, smoked drank like a fish and had his first hear attack at 42.
My grandfather didn't make it past 52 died on my birthday when I was 12. My brother just like my dad except cowboying, heart attack 4 years ago at 55 struggling with heart problems today hes just turned 59.
I'm no saint but I watched my grandfather and Dad who struggled for 20 years with heart problems and swore im not going down that path.

How's your mom's family's health?

Maybe you're lucky and got the other side's genes.
Posted By: hardway Re: Medication - 06/06/22

That is major taboo here

Slum.... we have chatted and we've had some "relatable" issues..... trust me, they watch it like a hawk. I'm careful not to abuse them but if I were to run out early or request a refill before it's due they would have the dea at my house faster than you can say Pablo Escobar . I'm still waiting on one last surgery next month and hopefully that will get me back to some sort of normal and I won't need too many pills anymore.
I think it is the State of Tenn. and the director of health services in the governor’s ear.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Medication - 06/06/22
The feds can't stop the junkies from creating an "opioid crisis" so they penalize the legit folks that need and will benefit from pain meds. Dumb people blame Dr.s and vote for legalizing drugs and clean needles and narcan and make the cartels rich and powerful. If your Dr. prescribes enough effective medicine to allow you a decent quality of life he will be prosecuted. The drug crisis is exacerbated by allowing the weak to thrive. Natural selection is real and should not be defied.

Fentanyl, made in china and flowing uninterrupted from Mexico to feed the multi billion dollar demand of US junkies and "recreational" users so the G. denies Slumlord and Gpa a little pain relief. Time to vote out the incumbents and eliminate 90% of Federal regulating agencies.

mike r
I could and want to be able to get about 3 times more work done in a day if I didnt have to deal with chronic pain

I dont have the have the luxury of being able to take OTC NSAIDS from ‘wally mart’ either.

Tylenol, ice packs and hot tub is all I have access to.

I had some Tylenol 3 and they made me give that up too.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Medication - 06/06/22
Vote out incumbents, period.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Medication - 06/06/22
For you guys on statins, Google injectable siRNA lowering cholesterol.
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: Medication - 06/06/22
I could and want to be able to get about 3 times more work done in a day if I didnt have to deal with chronic pain

I dont have the have the luxury of being able to take OTC NSAIDS from ‘wally mart’ either.

Go to a pain management Dr. It's really strict and kind of a pain in the ass because you have to go once a month, take a piss test and take your bottle with pills to have them counted but it's worth it when you're dealing with chronic pain and exhausted all other options. I'm not sure about the dea coming to your house for running out too early unless they really have some reason to think you're trafficking your scripts. You run out early and they usually just kick you out of the "program" because they make you sign a contract stating that you'll follow their rules.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Medication - 06/06/22
STRSWilson: I will be 75 shortly and I have NEVER taken a prescription drug - other than VERY short term pain pills for Rattlesnake bite, total knee replacement and a Kidney Stone incident!
I do take a small dose Bayer Aspirin every day (for the last 26 years).
No "big pharma" subsidies from me (unless the Bayer Aspirin regimen counts?).
Thank the heavens.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Valsdad

How's your mom's family's health?

Maybe you're lucky and got the other side's genes.
My moms health is good because she has taken care of herself. Believe what you want dont really care but blaming everything on Genetics is B.S.
Next time you go to the Dr's office notice how vast majority walk in who are 50, 60, 80,100lbs or + over wt.
When I was in my early 30's guy I worked with one time told me " you can use it up in the first half or second" he hit the nail on the head.
Since the early 80's we have sky rocketed into a obese country all because because of what they have done to our food and all these drugs to " fix" everything.
Where do they send cattle before they butcher them? Feedlot
What do they feed them? Grain
Why? Gain weight
Ya don't think humans are any different.
All this " Non fat" stuff they started craming down our throat is B.S. all the while dumping high fructose corn syrup in everthing.
I sure as Hell ain't know vegetarian either I eat plenty of meat and Chicken, pork.
The biggest killer of all is SUGAR, HIGH CARB DIETS
PERIOD.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Medication - 06/07/22

Your decisions to learn from the mistakes of others has likely given you decades of good health beyond your family.
I knew a doctor who had a very similar testimony as yours.
He lived over twenty years beyond his male family members.
I can only guess that he might have done even better had he wasn't a vegan .

If your brother is open to reading things outside of the medical model box, that book in the link is an easy read, written for the layman. It was reviewed by a top osteopathic physician in my state and he gave it a good review too.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Medication - 06/07/22
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
STRSWilson: I will be 75 shortly and I have NEVER taken a prescription drug - other than VERY short term pain pills for Rattlesnake bite, total knee replacement and a Kidney Stone incident!

VarmintGuy

I was too until just recently.

They advise against this now: (multiple news sources - just use your Google-fu powers)

In 2010, the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommended that men between ages 45 and 79 and women between ages 55 and 79 take low dose aspirin (81 mg) to help prevent cardiovascular disease.

Now, the USPSTF has released new guidelines on daily aspirin use that significantly changes its policy from 12 years ago.

The task force no longer is recommending aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease for most people.
Primary prevention refers to steps to prevent a first cardiovascular event, such as a heart attack or a stroke.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Medication - 06/07/22
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith

Go to a pain management Dr. It's really strict and kind of a pain in the ass because you have to go once a month, take a piss test and take your bottle with pills to have them counted but it's worth it when you're dealing with chronic pain and exhausted all other options. I'm not sure about the dea coming to your house for running out too early unless they really have some reason to think you're trafficking your scripts. You run out early and they usually just kick you out of the "program" because they make you sign a contract stating that you'll follow their rules.

I actually DO go to a pain mgt doctor on a regular basis.

We talk, he writes stuff down, takes notes. Either my knees or back, we do ‘procedures’ like nerve ablation, or epidurals.
Never any pills.

Although I get some rub on cream prescribed couple times a year.
Frustrating!!
Posted By: Raferman Re: Medication - 06/07/22

We talk, he writes stuff down, takes notes. Either my knees or back, we do ‘procedures’ like nerve ablation, or epidurals.
Never any pills.

Frustrating!!
Schit be ghey.
Guess you could make a run to Memphrika and score some smack.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Medication - 06/07/22
[q
Never any pills.
Frustrating!!

I'm sure he makes a lot more moolah doing procedures than writing RX's
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Medication - 06/07/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy

I was too until just recently.

They advise against this now: (multiple news sources - just use your Google-fu powers)

In 2010, the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommended that men between ages 45 and 79 and women between ages 55 and 79 take low dose aspirin (81 mg) to help prevent cardiovascular disease.

Now, the USPSTF has released new guidelines on daily aspirin use that significantly changes its policy from 12 years ago.

The task force no longer is recommending aspirin for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease for most people.
Primary prevention refers to steps to prevent a first cardiovascular event, such as a heart attack or a stroke.
Thank you for posting that.
Aspirin can cause an ulceration and internal bleeding.

There are a lot of natural blood thinners that aren't nearly as dangerous. One that is rarely prescribed is staying hydrated....more pure water and avoiding large dry meals / snacks.
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: Medication - 06/07/22

Never any pills.

Frustrating!!
I'd be switching to one thats willing to write prescriptions. You'd be surprised what kind of reviews you can find online for pain docs lol.
Posted By: sherm_61 Re: Medication - 06/07/22

Never any pills.

Frustrating!!
I'd be switching to one thats willing to write prescriptions. You'd be surprised what kind of reviews you can find online for pain docs lol.
Dr shopping thats the answer.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
[q
Never any pills.
Frustrating!!

I'm sure he makes a lot more moolah doing procedures than writing RX's

Oh yeah, the EOBs are impressive from Blue Cross. They pay him about 10cents on the dollar though.

8,000$ for an Epidural.

Sheesh
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: Medication - 06/07/22

Never any pills.

Frustrating!!
Dr shopping thats the answer.
That's not what Dr shopping is. Dr shopping is going to multiple docs to try and get multiple prescriptions, which I wasn't recommending. Pain meds have a place in medicine when all other treatments have been exhausted.
I fire doctors quite often.

Especially GPs that are afraid to do basic care.
Posted By: ribka Re: Medication - 06/07/22

get weed and make your own edibles to help with pain
Originally Posted by ribka

get weed and make your own edibles to help with pain
Cant

I Get drug tested being listed for organ transplant
© 24hourcampfire