Cardinal

Bald Eagle

Canada Geese
Pelican

House Finch
Brown headed Cowbird
Chickadee
Red winged Blackbird.

Include what you want to. I left out some of the "every yard" birds.

Yesterday on the old Savanna Army Depot, I had Cornell's Merlin App running and it detected vocals from the Eastern Towhee, and the Osprey. Never seen either bird that I recognized it. But want to. Looked hard but the brush was thick.

64 years old and never seen some of the common birds around me. Time to make up time...
Bluejay
Pilated WP
tufted titmouse
Bluebird
summer tanager,male & female
golden finch
Redheaded WP
sparrow
downy WP
Red breasted WP
Saw a couple s hitbirds at the hardware store.
RWBB, Robin, LBJ so far
I see regularly at the feeder and around the house
Cardinals
Chipping Sparrows
Scarlet tangers
Summer tangers
purple finches
Black capped chickadees
Brown headed Nutthatch
Black Capped Nutthatch
Pine Warblers
Brown thrashers

I see Indigo Buntings in the pasture but they seem pretty secretive
Downy Wood peckers
Piliated wood peckers
Wood Thrushes in the woods
and of course crows, blue jays and Redtailed hawks
Got a crow nest in the 2nd pine in the patch of woods between the houses.
You can hear the young ones and their feed me Seymour calling.

The mob of em hang out thru out the day.
Like it is their OP base.

I dont mind em, but they all get " chatty" at times.
Western Tanager
House finch
Grackle
Mourning dove
Eurasian collared dove
Red winged blackbird
Canadian goose
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Coot
Sand hill crane
Blue Heron
Kingfisher
Bridge swallow
Bald eagle
Golden eagle
Red tailed hawk
Swainsons hawk
Kestrel
Grey partridge
Pheasant
Saw blue birds yesterday as well
Hen Wood Duck with 6 little ones. Kingfisher. Oriole. Yellow Winged Blackbird, Osprey. Along with the regulars. Lesser Goldfinch, Red Winged Black Bird, Erasian Collared Doves, White Crowned Sparrows.
Had a family of quail in the backyard a couple hours ago with about six little chicks.
Bluejay
Robin
Finch
Grackle
Crow
Red winged blackbird
Sparrow Hawk
Seagull
Morning Doves
3 crows were making a racket when I left the house this AM.
Oddest bird I’ve ever seen. Must be some type of extinct flightless pterodactyl, neighbor up the road has been feeding it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Seen a bluebird and a robin a little bit ago. Thunderstorms are passing through. Just got in from work.
Male Cardinal.
Covey of Gambel Quail
Hummers on the desert willow
Roadrunner
Mourning Doves
Red Tail Hawk
Cactus Wrens
Male Cardinal
Something smallish with a lot of yellow
At a distance - wing beat like eagle - would have to be a Golden
Got a good look at a bald eagle about twenty yds in a field below house , biggest one I’ve seen in sometime.
One big powerful looking bird .
Starlings , robins, cardinals, red wing black birds , crows , bunch of little birds .
Occasional raven .
Chicken hawks .
Got resident doves in the AO.
Also got a corkinstien fox squirrel hanging around.
Tard baby huey squirrels.....

Kinda unusual around the neigborhood to see a fox squirrels

Place is infested with grey,s.
I bet they make fun of him...
Baltimore Orioles, gold finches, purple finch, cardinal, mourning doves, robins, freaking sparrow, starlings, barn swallows, bald eagle, great blue heron, egrets, turkey vultures!
Couple buzzards

Blue jays

Cardinals
Terns, brown pelicans,gulls, egrets, rails vultures and ospreys.
Blue heron
Snowy Egret
Morning Doves
Turkey Vultures
Storks
Blackbirds
Bluejays
Egyptian Geese
Parakeets
Bebe Parrot
Few pigeon's, a crow, and a couple tweety birds
4,000 acre prairie restoration and bison project 15 minutes from the house. I walk the trails over there frequently and went a couple of hours ago.

Saw,

Barn Swallows
Eastern Kingbirds
Turkey Vultures
Wild Turkeys
and
Crows

The Merlin App on the phone detected a number of bird calls of stuff I didn't see.
Most notably the Yellow Billed Cuckoo, or Storm Crow.
I did hear the call, and it's one I've heard before. But I did not see the bird. I honestly don't recall ever hearing the term "Yellow Billed Cuckoo". I've heard of the storm crow, but figured it was a crow in a storm.

Golden Eagle.......

waiting for some free fresh dead p/dogs
Who took the best bird pic today?

Not a camera guy yet, but making plans that way...
Cardinals, titmouse, crows, red bellied WP, bluebird’s feeding babies in the box, roadrunner, robins and heard a yellow billed cuckoo.
Great Crested Flycatchers are the only real notable bird for me. They’ve been nesting in my tulip tree. I think they’re out of the nest now and I was seeing the young following one of the adults today. Kestrel , crows , cardinals , thrashers , redheaded woodpecker , downy woodpecker , pileated woodpeckers , red tailed Hawk , and I think a Cooper’s hawk. There’s others that I’m forgetting. Sat outside in my sling chair after I replaced the sling in it. I needed a rest after wrestling with that PITA job ! The sling really didn’t want to slide into the track !
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Great Crested Flycatchers are the only real notable bird for me. They’ve been nesting in my tulip tree. I think they’re out of the nest now and I was seeing the young following one of the adults today. Kestrel , crows , cardinals , thrashers , redheaded woodpecker , downy woodpecker , pileated woodpeckers , red tailed Hawk , and I think a Cooper’s hawk. There’s others that I’m forgetting. Sat outside in my sling chair after I replaced the sling in it. I needed a rest after wrestling with that PITA job ! The sling really didn’t want to slide into the track !

This is another bird that, if I ever saw one, I never recognized it. The Merlin App has indicated them at my home and a couple of other places.
Seem like a guy oughtta at least know what birds are in his yard and neighborhood.
Bunch of Scrub (blue) Jays in the back yard until a Sharp Shinned or young Coopers Hawk showed up. Talk about fast movers. He missed and that was it for birds in the back yard for the rest of the morning.
Spoonbills
Originally Posted by johnw

This is another bird that, if I ever saw one, I never recognized it. The Merlin App has indicated them at my home and a couple of other places.
Seem like a guy oughtta at least know what birds are in his yard and neighborhood.

Look in the canopy for great crested flycatchers, a bit bigger than a Cardinal.

Severe drought here is affecting everything, local mockingbirds not breeding, breeding white-wing dove numbers way down, same with the great-tailed grackles.

My purple martins are gonna lose 4 out of five young this year, already had a number of “fallouts”, young martins too weak to fly.

On top of that I just saw an adult Cooper’s hawk , a male, had to be resident. First breeding Coop I’ve seen in my neighborhood in 35 years, tho I’ve been expecting them. They are death on purple martins.
Saw some old buzzards, one of which flipped me a bird, not sure what species though.
The annual robins and swallows nesting in boxes on the house. Bald eagles, dove, turkey, geese and those long neck birds I call loons. Kinda like my Dad called every one from the Middle East AAArabs. Loons...
Didn't pay attention, but did see a dead sea roach in the street.

The great crested flycatcher is a tough one to get a good look at. I was aware of some kind of bird with a nest for a week before I was able to get a clear view and look it up. They stay way up in the tree and don’t really perch out in the open. They perch inside the tree mostly.
Looking out this Hospital window I see 4 orange breasted Jailbirds picking up trash along a boulevard.

They’re being watched by a large blue plumaged yardbird.
I’ve downloaded the Merlin app and have been recording as I drink my coffee. So far I’ve got great crested flycatchers (seen) , Carolina wrens , black vultures (seen) , red shouldered hawk (seen) , Cardinal, tufted titmouse, crows (seen) , blue jays.
So far that’s what I’ve seen and or recorded this morning. There’s definitely four flycatchers spread around the yard so I’m assuming two young have made it out of the nest. They’re not using the tulip tree anymore so not tending the nest.
I’ve added a red-bellied woodpecker (seen) and a cedar waxwing.
As I approach the double nickel in age I’ve gone soft ! I’ve been watching a bushy tailed tree rat sit on my feeder’s head and throw $11 a bag corn out and haven’t felt the need to shoot it yet. Yet…
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Looking out this Hospital window I see 4 orange breasted Jailbirds picking up trash along a boulevard.

They’re being watched by a large blue plumaged yardbird.

That’s funny. Good use of those orange birds time.
Stopped yesterday at my LGS and picked up 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mag HP. I have plenty of 22 lr but this is what my BAR 22 likes the best. The squirrels……… not so much. My feeders would be cleaned out every two days if not for the tree rat squad standing guard. I also keep a dog proof trap under the feeders for the night raiders(coons and possums).
The chickens in my backyard!
Ain’t seen any today, can hear them
Going to get to see some looney birds on TV tonight. They are going to crap their nests.
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Oddest bird I’ve ever seen. Must be some type of extinct flightless pterodactyl, neighbor up the road has been feeding it.

Seen a bluebird and a robin a little bit ago. Thunderstorms are passing through. Just got in from work.

My son shot one of those yesterday in his yard, apparently rabid as it was headed for him.
Hummingbirds about 20 outside at the moment.
Crow...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Stopped yesterday at my LGS and picked up 300 rounds of CCI Mini Mag HP. I have plenty of 22 lr but this is what my BAR 22 likes the best. The squirrels……… not so much. My feeders would be cleaned out every two days if not for the tree rat squad standing guard. I also keep a dog proof trap under the feeders for the night raiders(coons and possums).
The squirrels work on my feeder but it holds 500lbs so they’re not wiping it out in two days. I’ve got one big coon that comes all hours of the day. I often see it out there at high noon. As long as it doesn’t get up on the feeder head and wreck it the coon doesn’t bother me. The only thing I don’t have coming regularly are turkeys. I get some every once in awhile.
The Oregon Junko nest in the wreath on my son's front door is now on the second brood of 4 eggs.
Chickadees
Spotted Towhees
Eastern Blue Jays
Magpies
Crows
House Sparrows
Song Sparrows
Chickens
Painted Bunting
Saw the female but wasn't quick enough

Cardinal Pair
Johnw: 75 degrees here today (by FAR the warmest day of this year so far) and the birds are VERY active around my bird feeder, yard and nearby fields.
So far today:
Robins
Chickadees
Wrens
Gold Finch
Swallow
Meadowlarks
Magpies
Mourning Doves
Eurasian Doves
Black Birds
Red-Wing Blackbirds
Vultures
Ravens
Western Tanagers (they just arrived back here last week)
Bald Eagle
Goshawks
And the Bird Watching highlight (or lowlight?) of the day was a Golden Eagle that kept repeatedly swooping down on a Doe Antelope who has been in her "birthing posture" all morning.
I hope that the soon to be mother Antelope can avoid losing her fawn(s) to this giant bird.
The Antelope is 550 yards distant and with my good binoculars I can not see a fawn anywhere in the shortgrass and sage field the mother (?) is lying down now.
Hoping for the best here.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Quail, Turkey, Turkey Vulture, Bald Eagle
Great Blue Heron
Crows
Cardinals
Robins
Chickadees
Titmouse
Mississippi Kites
Blue Jays
Also a pair of Mourning doves
And this afternoon
Big fat bright oriole
Turkeys
Crows
Indigo bunting
Meadowlark

Had a Towhee located by sound. Saw twigs and brush moving.
Still no eyes on the Towhee
Turkey Vultures

Turkeys and Baby Turkeys

Canadian Geese and their little Goslings...
Geese
Ducks
Humming birds
Finches
Blue Jays
Crows
Mourning Doves
Hawks
I tip my cap to anyone that can take a photo of a bird in the air.
Canada geese (nesting pairs & goslings)
Mallard nesting pair and ducklings
Mississippi Kites
Ruby Throated Hummingbird
Eastern Bluebirds M&F
Cardinals M&F
House Wren
Blue Jay
Red Winged Blackbird
Canada geese
2 breeds of hummers
Mergansers
Goldfinch
Steller’s Jay
Bald Eagle
Vulture
Osprey
Redtail hawk
Chickadee
Some little red headed tweety bird
Mourning doves
Swallows
Flickers
Starlings
Nancy Pelosi Bird

Brandon Bird

Geese
Ducks
Cardinal
Bluejay
Mocking bird
Sparrow
Vultures

Just saw a loon about 15 minutes ago.
Nothing out of the ordinary lately except a chipping sparrow, which I don’t see (or maybe notice) very often.
Noticeably missing this season are the house wrens, though I have a house and a gourd available for rent. Always enjoy hearing the noisy little bastards, the most noise per pound (gram) around here.

Wifey had to release five blueberry thieves from the nets yesterday including a bluejay, which is unusual for them.
New one for me. Possibly a black rail. Best I can figure it was.

Arkansas along US65 south of Clinton. Compactish very dark waterbird in flight. Much smaller than the egrets. Not a gallinule nor coot, though I did interact with an old coot in Little Rock.

Our brood of (2/5 hatched) parakeets is fully dead now. Mom seems sickly. We're hell on pets.
Cormorant?

There’s a colony on the Shenandoah not far from here, just off the Rt. 7 bridge. Seem to prefer to roost in the sycamores that predominate along that river.

My wife interacts with an old coot on a daily basis, poor thing!
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Cormorant?
Oh no. Wayyy smaller.

If there was a tiny black egret! Totally new to me. Not something that occurs out west.
Today? Almost nothing. I'm inside in a warehouse shop all day. Just the usual grackles, starlings, and house sparrows outside the window. Buzzards are always around. I paid no attention to anything driving to or from work.

Last weekend on the road, though, I saw about a bazillion red wing blackbirds, lots of barn swallows under every bridge I passed, herons, egrets, probably a Canada goose or two, several ospreys, one bald eagle, red tail hawks, a kestrel, and no telling how many "backyard birds" like cardinals, robins, etc.
We’re down to goldfish now (one). About as low-maintenance as it gets, and no major emotional distress when they go under.

Do have a squirrel that has no proper regard for its place in the scheme of things around here. Made the mistake of giving him a couple of shelled pecans instead of peanuts and the next day he turned his nose up at the peanuts liked he’d been eatin’ pecans all his life, the fugger!
More sea roaches.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I tip my cap to anyone that can take a photo of a bird in the air.

Cowbirds, Cardinals, And Grosbeaks are messy eaters... Stick their beak in the seed and fling it all over creation. Now I've got a sizeable herd of rabbits waiting on them to do it again.

I let the beagle out earlier and she tried to run 4 ways at once
Mountain Quail

Doves

Bandtail Pigeons

Toehee

Juncos

And lots of sparrows and finches.

Virgil B.
Cheapy camera shot of the male Rose Breasted Grosbeak, this afternoon.

Saw an indigo bunting in the back yard yesterday. Beautiful bird.
Have a Western Tanager visiting the backyard every few days. Beautiful bird!
Cardinal and a redheaded wood pecker
Johnw: The VarmintWife and I took a long road trip yesterday to a distant gunshop/town and made a day of it.
Along our route we saw:
Pheasant
Hungarian Partridge
Wild Turkeys
Blue Herons
Sandhill Crane
Curlews
Marsh Hawks
Mallards
Cinnamon Teal
Flicker
Mountain Bluebirds
Redtail Hawks and several other varieties of Hawks and Falcons
Spring is finally starting hereabouts.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
More sea roaches.
Hot here. Nothing on the wing...
Originally Posted by stxhunter
More sea roaches.

You steam those? Or deep fry them?
Buzzard flew over
Hawk

Cardinal
Cattle egrets
More sea roaches.

Hate them.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Cormorant?
Oh no. Wayyy smaller.

If there was a tiny black egret! Totally new to me. Not something that occurs out west.

Occasionally we see black egrets here amongst the regular white ones. We also have shy pokes down here too. But they ain’t all black

Edit;
I think Shy Pokes real name are lesser bittern?
More sea roaches.

Hate them.

You're not fooling anybody Rog, we all know this was your fave when you were a kid smile

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
More sea roaches.

Hate them.

You're not fooling anybody Rog, we all know this was your fave when you were a kid smile

Lol, how many whataburgers and fries have they stolen out of your car or truck when you weren't looking.
Have a baby robin on the ground right now in the back yard. This evening momma fought off my dog, a rabbit, mocking bird and a deer. Nobody was getting within 5 feet of her baby.

Feel for the little one out there in the dew of the night, but this is typical robin behavior. You don’t sit on your butt, fly or else.
Wood Duck
SandhillCrane
Warbling Vireo
Blue Jay
Cardinal

Went to My Daughter and SIL's place today knowing that Sandhill's generally nest on their place or the neighbors. Wasn't disappointed as they were feeding in an emergent field of corn across the road, and highly visible.

The Woodie was a bonus. The vireo was maybe a miracle.

Have been recording the sound of the Warbling Vireo almost everywhere I've gone in the past week. If they're visible at all, they've just been a too brief unidentifiable blip of movement in the trees.
This afternoon, daughter and I were sitting by the pond when 2 clearly visible and identifiable Vireos flitted out of the trees and landed briefly on an arbor archway.
Not much bird to feel so big over, but I was as happy with the Vireos as I was the Sandhills.

Used the SIL's camera to get a shot of one Sandhill.

Brought the SIL's camera home with me

Need practice

Hawk

Blue jays
Yards full of birds... Robin (i think?) just flew into my glass patio door... Thump!... Got him on Concussion Protocol the rest of the day...
Grackle
Red headed woodpecker
Hummingbird
Black vulture
Turkey vulture
Canadian goose
Robin
Barn swallow

Ron
Haven't seen activity in 2 days near my feeder. 105 yesterday. I think they're walking.

These bird pics

right click
open in new tab
Expand or increase image size
House Finch. Also a female cardinal, but too quick for a picture.

Daily visitors here out back!

Hawk, cardinal, crows
I see hawks, crows, barred owls (at dusk), vultures, my chickens, mourning doves, cardinals, occasionally bluejays, tiny warblers (they make a nest and hatch out chicks every spring in a bucket hanging from the roof of my back porch), two kinds of woodpeckers, starlings. Those are the typical birds seen around my home.
[Elkhunter49] Daily visitors hear out back!

Terrific pictures!
Starlings
Black birds
Mockingbirds
Kill Deer
Mexican whistling ducks
Canada geese
Hummingbirds
Scissor tails
Swifts
Crows
Buzzards
Sparrows

I think that is about it today.
Busy day, and spent no time at the feeder, but driving around I saw

Killdeer
Pelicans
Crows
RW Blackbirds
Grackles
House Wren
GB Heron
Vulture

Small Raptor (falcon?) Gliding into cover the wings and body formed an almost perfect cross.

Drove through some awesome turkey country without seeing a one
Hawks, Eagles, Crows, my special little friends are some kind of Flycatcher's, not sure if they are the same ones, but its been 4 years now I have been noticing them, cute little guys.
Blue Jays, robins, mourning and euro doves

Haven't seen one of the redtails lately. Used to be
at least one on the utility pole at the SE corner of the
back

Never "see" any. Several barred owls hoo hoo
during the wee hours daily

Starling
English House Sparrow
Western King Bird
Whitewing Dove
Mourning Dove
Euopean Dove
Black Vulture
Redtail Hawk
Barn Pigeon
Western Siccortail Flycatcher
I could watch Western Kingbirds all day, they are so graceful in flight. Around here the scissortail flycatchers get back first, many of which are aggressively displaced when the western kingbirds arrive a couple of weeks later.

OTOH western kingbirds depart in August on account of they do their post-breeding molt on the winter range in Mexico/Central America.

Scissortail flycatchers are cricket and grasshopper specialists, catching a lot of their prey on the ground, such prey generally being most abundant late summer and fall. So scissortails hang around on the breeding grounds to molt after breeding. Around here where I am you can find then until November.

‘Nother point of trivia, in Oklahoma scissortails get shotgunned in some places on account of the Indians use their tail feathers for peyote fans.
When I drove through South Dallas at about 11:00 in the morning the other day I saw a flock of Blackbirds hanging out at the 7-11 on the corner nearly all drinking 40 oz of Colt 45 and Old English.

Still learning about the camera, but things are getting a bit better in general

Same ole' water birds. Lots of roseate spoonbills lately.
A few cardinals in the water sprinklers
More sea roaches.
I did see some bird in the front yard a couple of days ago that was all yellow with dark wings, no idea what it was but the sea roaches ran it off when they came to steal cat food.
My Painted Bunting is back after a 3-week absence.

[Linked Image from metro.lunabyte.io]

The pad is right below my hospital window.
Kingfisher having a snack in the pond
Saw a string of pelicans lifting out of LeClaire Cove on the Mississippi this morning on the drive home from work. RW Blackbirds and starlings here and there.

Heavy Rain when I got off yesterday, and when i stopped for gas at the Pleasant Valley BP there was a RW Blackbird hovering over some rushes growing in the ditch and squalling for all she was worth. Reckon her babies got flooded.
redtail hawk
robin
starling
red bellied woodpecker
scarlet tanager
cardinal
Carolina wren
Have these yellow bellowed/gray fly catchers build a nest every year in one of my gutters.

yep........call 'em 'gutter birds'

Hilarious to watch......well the new birds are almost ready to leave..

Parents...sometimes 3 adults feeding the babies...polygamists ?

Walk under the nest ? Get ready to be dive bombed

They are busy all day & first up in the morning

This pic..looks like 'em

[Linked Image]
I have kind of stayed away from this thread because I really like birds, live where there are a lot of them and notice them a lot. Afraid once I get going I might be a long time and will always have to come back with one I forgot. Anyway.... on a typical day we see a lot of birds:

white herons
ibises
black crowned night herons
green herons
wood storks (maybe seasonal, don't think I've seen one for a while)
great blue heron
ring billed gull
great black back gull
coopers hawk
red tail hawk
bald eagle
bluebirds
cardinals
downy woodpeckers
red belly woodpecker
Carolina wren
house wren
blue jay
mourning dove
mocking bird
great crested flycatcher
osprey
chickadee
blue jay
robin
tufted titmouse
song sparrow
brown pelican
mergansers
crested cormorant
European cormorant
field sparrow
eastern phoebe
common yellowthroat
Eastern towhee
red wing black bird
boat tail grackle
golden eye grackle
purple grackle
ravens
house finch
blue gray gnatcatcher
cedar waxwing
yellow-rumped warbler
brown headed nuthatch
ruby crowned kinglet
Canada goose
killdeer

that's it from the list I've been keeping of those I can identify. Can't say I've seen them all the same day.
Not today, but a typical year of watching would include;

Red Belly Wood Pecker
Morning Dove
Palliated Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Downey Wood Pecker
Red Tail Hawk
Sharp Shined Hawk
Baltimore Oriole
Eastern Blue Bird
Robin
Flicker
Crow
Blue Jay
Grackles
Cow Bird
Blackbirds
Killdeer
Finches
Wrens
Titmouse
Chickadee
Sparrow
Osprey (when working the river)
Bald Eagle (again, when working the river)
Warbler
Bats
Turkeys
Chickens (my egg layers)
Blue Heron (working river or on creek)
Geese (Canadian, they are thick here)
Ducks
Nuthatchs
Cardinal
Scarlet Tananger
Indigo Bunting
Purple Martin
Turkey Vulture
Starling
Pigeon
Barn Swallow
Owls (rarely)
Grouse (rarely anymore)
Grosbeak

I’m missing some for sure. Have a list at home with the books I use to identify. Enjoy feeding and watching birds and have for years. Cool topic. Fun to rack my brain in the midst of a thunderstorm.

Stupid house cats are making a return here. They are hard on our birds. Coyotes had them extinct for years but now they (Yotes) seem to have disappeared. We are seeing a resurgence of rabbits, squirrels and groundhogs too.
Meadowlark
Kingbird
Lots of doves
Painted bunting
Indigo Bunting, Think I got painted bunting on the brain syndrome
TODAY - Female Cardinal
Buzzards today, killed an armadillo sat night
I saw a couple of hen turkeys cross the road to the cabin with 10 or twelve little ones running along, close behind. I thought they had all crossed the road so drove on past. Two of the little guys, that were stragglers, busted out of the underbrush like a couple of quail. I didn't know those little guys could fly...
© 24hourcampfire