Home
Posted By: Longbob Bourbon guys will understand - 06/11/22
In Biden's America you can find a bottle of Blanton's easier than baby formula.
Truth. Sadly so
Good one.
Priorities, Man, priorities.
It need not be better than Wild Turkey 101, good for a drunk or field surgery
Posted By: hanco Re: Bourbon guys will understand - 06/11/22
Jack Daniels
Old Granddad 101 Bottled in Bond.

Ice don't hurt it.

You know you have something pretty strong in yer mouth. Got a bit of flavor.
Knock on something. Hopefully you haven't put the kiss of death on Buffalo Trace. 😂😇
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Knock on something. Hopefully you haven't put the kiss of death on Buffalo Trace. 😂😇

Son of a...
Chased Blanton's once. Caught 4 bottles. Came to realize........there's a bunch of bourbons that are on every shelf, every day at half the price point.......that are AS good OR better.

Time to go light the fire pit and put my feet up. Thinking Eagle Rare this evening.........
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Chased Blanton's once. Caught 4 bottles. Came to realize........there's a bunch of bourbons that are on every shelf, every day at half the price point.......that are AS good OR better.

Time to go light the fire pit and put my feet up. Thinking Eagle Rare this evening.........

Don't disagree with that. It is just that Blanton's seems to be the most asked for at the stores I haunt and it is still easier to find than baby formula as of late.
Originally Posted by Longbob

Don't disagree with that. It is just that Blanton's seems to be the most asked for at the stores I haunt and it is still easier to find than baby formula as of late.

Could be, where you are.

Here............. Most people will never, ever see a bottle of Blanton's in their lifetime. Same goes for the Weller family of bourbons and the Col. Taylor ones. When the state government is the sole distributor, stupidity and corruption run wild.

Could be, where you are.

Here............. Most people will never, ever see a bottle of Blanton's in their lifetime. Same goes for the Weller family of bourbons and the Col. Taylor ones. When the state government is the sole distributor, stupidity and corruption run wild.

It is the same here for Weller, 107, 12 year, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, etc... Just about anything from Buffalo Trace is considered allocated in our area and near impossible to find.
Costco's stuff ?
Blantons is unobtanium around here unless you want to pay the indian owned liquor store markup AND buy 2 more bottles of something else. Women on the other hand, came readymade to feed babies, they just choose not to. Wife and I have had a chat about it and Im glad we are way beyond child bearing age, plus if she gets pregnant Im suing whoever the doctor was that took all her plumbing out.
When the whiskey runs out .... the revolution begins... wink
Originally Posted by irfubar

Won’t run out here. Might not taste as good as store bought, but we can make do with clear liquor. Beats sobriety any Fugkin day.
Posted By: rlott Re: Bourbon guys will understand - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by hanco
Jack Daniels

Is jack daniels actually bourbon?

Serious question.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Won’t run out here. Might not taste as good as store bought, but we can make do with clear liquor. Beats sobriety any Fugkin day.

A number of years ago.. post 2008 I made a beer keg still.... my moonshine was ... well not very good... ;(
Picked up two bottles of Buffalo Trace today for 26 a bottle and thought I hit the lottery.
Why only two some ask… because that was all that was left.
I have 6 bottles.....had 7 until yesterday

It is hard to find but if you like Blantons I suggest Bowman Brothers
Originally Posted by rlott
Jack Daniels

Serious question.

No it isn't. It is whiskey. All bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.

A number of years ago.. post 2008 I made a beer keg still.... my moonshine was ... well not very good... ;(

After a few shots it doesn’t matter….😁
Originally Posted by navlav8r

At least I didn't go blind.... wink the swill was over 100 proof... so yes after a glass or two taste did not matter... smile
Originally Posted by navlav8r

At least I didn't go blind.... wink

The moonshine wasn't the reason. laugh
Trying coopers for the first time......any opinions?
Jack Daniels

Serious question.

Is Jack Daniels even something people drink ????

Serious answer.
I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of the regular JD is consumed heavily laden with sweet mixers like Coke, on ice of course.
Posted By: CRS Re: Bourbon guys will understand - 06/12/22
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Not impressed.

Jack Daniels

Serious question.

Serious answer.

It is considered Tennessee whiskey since it is cold filtered.

Yes, I drink it and enjoy it very much. Barrel proof, Bottled in bond, Gentlemen, and plain Black.

I also enjoy George Dickel Tennessee whiskey, along with a host of bourbons and a few scotches.

I am not a whiskey, bourbon, scotch snob at all. I drink what I like, as should everyone. No apologies needed or expected for drinking what you like, how you like it.
I was a dumbass one time (well a lot of times, but once for the purpose of this anecdote)… I was in a hotel bar in Busan Korea- a 5 star place. Out of habit, I ordered a Jack and Coke (hey I was in my 20’s and didn’t know any better).

Turns out that Jack costs about $20 per drink, and Coke costs about $15.

Had I ordered a “whiskey and cola” it would have cost about $5.00 US
https://www.bluenotebourbon.com/juke-joint-whiskey

telling yall this is some good stuff..even if it's not bourbon
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Not impressed.

Jack Daniels

Serious question.

Serious answer.

It is considered Tennessee whiskey since it is cold filtered.

Yes, I drink it and enjoy it very much. Barrel proof, Bottled in bond, Gentlemen, and plain Black.

I also enjoy George Dickel Tennessee whiskey, along with a host of bourbons and a few scotches.

I am not a whiskey, bourbon, scotch snob at all. I drink what I like, as should everyone. No apologies needed or expected for drinking what you like, how you like it.

Like Mr. Jimmy Russell says............. "The best way to drink bourbon is the way YOU like it".

I'm not a snob at all. Not a refine bone in my body. Just can't abide Jack...........or lousy bourbon, either. Didn't care for the taste of my one and only glass of scotch, so I never tried any others. But, if You're a fan of Dickel........ I assume you've had their rye ?? One of the most underrated treasures on the liquor store shelf, IMO.

Cheers.
Posted By: CRS Re: Bourbon guys will understand - 06/12/22
Yep, not about snobbery at all! Drink what you like, the way you like it.

Have not had Dickel rye, as as for some reason do not prefer Rye's.

I like sampling new stuff, and if it is good will try to add it to the stash.

Right now I like the Jack Daniels, Dickel, Forester, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, and Backbone families for bourbons/whiskeys. Do not like old fashions, really like bourbon sours I mix, and generally like them with ice if drinking straight. But I reserve the right to change my preferences. grin
Originally Posted by CRS
Yep, not about snobbery at all! Drink what you like, the way you like it.

Have not had Dickel rye, as as for some reason do not prefer Rye's.

I like sampling new stuff, and if it is good will try to add it to the stash.

Right now I like the Jack Daniels, Dickel, Forester, Wild Turkey, Woodford Reserve, and Backbone families for bourbons/whiskeys. Do not like old fashions, really like bourbon sours I mix, and generally like them with ice if drinking straight. But I reserve the right to change my preferences. grin

Do yourself a favor and try the Dickel rye. It's that good.

Also a big fan of the Wild Turkey family of offerings, as well as Four Roses and Buffalo Trace Distillery bourbons. Knob Creek 9 is also very good.
Posted By: 40O Re: Bourbon guys will understand - 06/12/22
Jack Daniel’s has been lighting up the whiskey world by putting out smaller batches. This years Coy Hill, 137.4 - 148.3 proof, was one of the hottest bottles out. Also, I’ve read that JD meets all the requirement to be a bourbon but prefers to be know as a Tennessee whiskey. Pure class right there. A lot of people forget their roots when it comes to marketing and making a buck.
Originally Posted by 40O
Jack Daniel’s has been lighting up the whiskey world by putting out smaller batches. This years Coy Hill, 137.4 - 148.3 proof, was one of the hottest bottles out. Also, I’ve read that JD meets all the requirement to be a bourbon but prefers to be know as a Tennessee whiskey. Pure class right there. A lot of people forget their roots when it comes to marketing and making a buck.

And there is a question about the Lincoln County process that they use being considered an additive. I really like JD and it may be a lot to do with this process.
Originally Posted by mathman
I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of the regular JD is consumed heavily laden with sweet mixers like Coke, on ice of course.

And you would probably win that bet. I, however, like it on the rocks.
Jack Daniels

Serious question.
No, it's not. Bourbon has to meet the following rules:
It must be made in the United States. ...
Aging must take place in a new, charred, oak barrel. ...
The mash must be at least 51 percent corn. ...
The whiskey cannot enter the barrel at higher than 125 proof. ...
Nothing can be added but water and only to lessen the proof when necessary.

Jack Daniels is called "Tennessee Whiskey", which implies it doesn't meet one of the criteria for bourbon, although it could just be a marketing thing.
The filtering through hard maple charcoal is why JD isn't a bourbon.
Originally Posted by natman
Jack Daniels

Serious question.

Jack Daniels is called "Tennessee Whiskey", which implies it doesn't meet one of the criteria for bourbon, although it could just be a marketing thing.

Jack Daniels meets all the criteria to be bourbon and this debate will go on forever.....

We toured JD and in the tour they started that they chose to call their product Tennessee Whiskey
Jack Daniels

Serious question.

Serious answer.

Old #7 is Brown Formans #1 seller worldwide

So yes....yes they do
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Jack Daniels

Serious question.

Jack Daniels meets all the criteria to be bourbon and this debate will go on forever.....

We toured JD and in the tour they started that they chose to call their product Tennessee Whiskey

Except for the Lincoln County process which many consider it an additive.
Jack Daniels

Serious question.

Several bourbons are charcoal filtered

Old Ezra #7 is one and is so close to JD that JD sued them
Jack Daniels

Serious question.

Several bourbons are charcoal filtered

Old Ezra #7 is one and is so close to JD that JD sued them

Technically that might eliminate it from being a true bourbon in many eyes, but it doesn’t bother me none. I think it is a good pour also and I can find a way to enjoy most all of them. Except for Scotch. Maybe I haven’t had the good stuff, but I am not a fan.
Originally Posted by CRS
[quote=SCgman1]Trying coopers for the first time......any opinions?

Not impressed.

Now that I'm able to try it, I think I'm inclined to agree.

Will find a way to get thru it.........but doubt a second bottle is forthcoming.
Longbob: Your contention is surely correct - but I must opine the following - DO NOT waste your monies on the Devils Brew.
Your monies are MUCH better spent on guns and ammo these days - and in the view of todays economy, our current administration, our current congress and the ongoing massive invasion at our wide open southern border I advise all, to forsake the Devil's Brew and also buy silver dimes, instead.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Longbob: Your contention is surely correct - but I must opine the following - DO NOT waste your monies on the Devils Brew.
Your monies are MUCH better spent on guns and ammo these days - and in the view of todays economy, our current administration, our current congress and the ongoing massive invasion at our wide open southern border I advise all, to forsake the Devil's Brew and also buy silver dimes, instead.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Don’t bring logic and good sense into this discussion!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You obviously don't know today's secondary allocated bourbon market
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You obviously don't know today's secondary allocated bourbon market

No kiddin'..............
Posted By: hanco Re: Bourbon guys will understand - 06/13/22
Whiskey river, take my mind!!!
A close friend has an unopened bottle of the real deal Van Winkle Lot B bourbon. He's had it for a while, I think the price sticker is $55.

Wonder what it's worth on the secondary market these days? grin
Originally Posted by mathman
A close friend has an unopened bottle of the real deal Van Winkle Lot B bourbon. He's had it for a while, I think the price sticker is $55.

Wonder what it's worth on the secondary market these days? grin

I'd give him twice what he paid for it. grin

Cousin walked into a D.C. liquor store one night several years ago and right on the shelf was a bottle of Pappy 23 for $300. It'd probably bring close 10X that on the secondary.
Posted By: CRS Re: Bourbon guys will understand - 06/13/22
I like what I like. Do not worry about this and that much.

Spent the evening drinking bourbon sours. Tasting Eagle, Taylor bottled in bond. Some JD barrell proof, Backbone Forge, and Old Grandad. Was a nce evening spent with friends.

Like what you like. Period!

Right !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Right !

grin

I know YOU'RE right !!!!!!!!

E.C. Small Batch hits WAY above its weight class. One of the very BEST buys for th money or for anything.................

Yep.
© 24hourcampfire