Home
How the hell is this gonna work once everybody comes home from work and plugs in their electric cars to charge?
I’ve noticed the TVA isn’t building more power plants, at least not in my area.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
During a dry run BPA asked the region to conserve. We did so well they had to raise prices to cover expenses.
If you look at what they’re mandating as far as energy sources and capacity that’s being built you could come to the conclusion that they expect much lower demand for energy and food. Kind of like they don’t expect to need to serve many millions of people…
Citizens in Small towns and boroughs that have their own generation stations are about to get hit with 50% increases in their electric bills due to natural gas prices.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
How the hell is this gonna work once everybody comes home from work and plugs in their electric cars to charge?

Quit being a total BUZZKILL FUNSUCKER and making valid points. You are sucking the fun out of their idea of saving the world in their silly little electric car during Pride Month of all times. Next thing you will say is they shouldn't be buying all those electric phones, laptops, iPad, Ipods, and rechargeable vibrating anal intruders.
2022 Summer Reliability Assessment May 2022

...Key Findings

NERC’s annual SRA covers the upcoming four-month (June–September) summer period. This
assessment provides an evaluation of generation resource and transmission system adequacy and
energy sufficiency to meet projected summer peak demands and operating reserves. This assessment
identifies potential reliability issues of interest and regional topics of concern. While the scope of this
seasonal assessment is focused on the upcoming summer, the key findings are consistent with risks
and issues that NERC has highlighted in the 2021 Long-Term Reliability Assessment and other earlier
reliability assessments and reports.

The following findings are NERC and the ERO Enterprise’s independent evaluation of electricity
generation and transmission capacity and potential operational concerns that may need to be
addressed for the 2022 summer:

Summer Resource Adequacy Assessment and Energy Risk Analysis

 Midcontinent ISO (MISO) faces a capacity shortfall in its North and Central areas, resulting
in high risk of energy emergencies during peak summer conditions. Capacity shortfall
projections reported in the 2021 LTRA and as far back as the 2018 LTRA have continued. Load
serving entities in 4 of 11 zones entered the annual planning resource auction (PRA) in April
2022 without enough owned or contracted capacity to cover their requirements. Across
MISO, peak demand projections have increased by 1.7% since last summer due in part to a
return to normal demand patterns that have been altered in prior years by the pandemic.
However, more impactful is the drop in capacity in the most recent PRA: MISO will have 3,200
MW (2.3%) less generation capacity than in the summer of 2021. System operators in MISO
are more likely to need operating mitigations, such as load modifying resources or non-firm
imports, to meet reserve requirements under normal peak summer conditions. More extreme
temperatures, higher generation outages, or low wind conditions expose the MISO North and
Central areas to higher risk of temporary operator-initiated load shedding to maintain system
reliability.

 At the start of the summer, a key transmission line connecting MISO’s northern and
southern areas will be out of service. Restoration continues on a 4-mile section of 500 kV
transmission line that was damaged by a tornado during severe storms on December 10,
2021. The transmission outage affects 1,000 MW of firm transfers between the Midwestern
and Southern MISO system that includes parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. The
transmission line is expected to be restored at the end of June 2022. ...
Originally Posted by 1minute
During a dry run BPA asked the region to conserve. We did so well they had to raise prices to cover expenses.
Remember that spring some years ago when the river was so high that the dams were producing more power than the grid could handle. They had to shut down all the windmills. The geniuses at BPA paid the windmill owners anyway for producing nothing. Normally when a company over produces, they shut down, lay off, and ride it out. They don't get paid for what they don't produce.
We don’t have enough electricity to cover immediate needs. Here in Nowhere, Tennessee, there are over 200 building permits issued within 1 1/2 miles of me that are being built as we speak. I’ve heard no one address this concern.
Cumberland-TVA Wells Creek Fossil only had a single unit running Friday

Thought it was odd.

Outage is usually performed in the fall, less demand months.
I will stuff a cloth under the front and back doors. We are all in this together.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I will stuff a cloth under the front and back doors. We are all in this together.
Thank you for the sacrifice.
The Dem agenda's working exceedingly well, it appears.
I see no reason to panic, the government is in charge and headed by the best president money can buy......lol
Originally Posted by pullit
I see no reason to panic, the government is in charge and headed by the best president money can buy......lol
You sure know how to make a fella feel better. Thanks.
Isn’t that funny!! We’ve torn down a lot of the coal fired power plants in Michigan, as well as other states I’m sure. Now we have power shortage’s.
My BIL works for a power utility company in Kentucky. My wife recently messaged him to ask what he thought about the current concerns about power shortages.

In a nutshell, he expects blackouts to occur in the west, mentioning Texas, but including the possibility of them being widespread. East of the Mississippi, he believes blackouts are less likely due to the use of NG for power generation. He said to expect rates to double or worse in the coming months/year.
TVA still runs several Nuke fired plants, right?
Originally Posted by Raeford

Browns Ferry was the one off of the my head

Used the google for the whole list

Browns Ferry, near Athens, Alabama
Sequoyah, in Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee
Watts Bar, near Spring City, Tennessee
2022 Summer Reliability Assessment May 2022

Alot of information in there, but in a nutshell.................it's no bueno.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Your now on THE list cool
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

You're[fixt] now on THE list cool

And Fat Daddy will be visiting, unannounced! shocked grin
It was on the news yesterday here they were about to start doing some rolling blackouts in our area. I have a suggestion. How about they turn off the power to people on welfare that don't pay their own electric bill in times of high demand.
Plus they are shutting down coal plants.
Cumberland-TVA Wells Creek Fossil only had a single unit running Friday

Thought it was odd.

Outage is usually performed in the fall, less demand months.
They are shutting it down Slum...
TVA to close its largest caol fired plant
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

You're[fixt] now on THE list cool

And Fat Daddy will be visiting, unannounced! shocked grin

Tell him to wear clothes if he heads this way

Sheesh
Originally Posted by pullit
You sure know how to make a fella feel better. Thanks.
At least no snow flakes feelings aren't being hurt!
Let's Go Brandon!
He'll have Cheetos, be looking for a recliner
talking of coal power plants.

MS power / southern company put the d!ck to MS.

Built a lignite coal plant in Kemper County.

Last i heard 7+ billion $$…..

Of course, some of that got passed onto MS Power customers and rural co-ops that buy from MS power.

Not sure it’s even made any power…..
Years back, a guy here managed to get a government grant to make an electric plant that burned sawdust. I forget how much money he got, but it was a LOT. To my knowledge, it’s never produced any marketable electricity.

He actually built it, and it looked like he just gathered a bunch of stuff from a scrapyard and welded it together.

Browns Ferry was the one off of the my head

Browns Ferry, near Athens, Alabama
Sequoyah, in Soddy-Daisy, Tennessee
Watts Bar, near Spring City, Tennessee

Bellefonte was going to be a big one but turned into a cluster. It was sold a short while back to a group that planned to update it, finish it, and put it into service. A lot of local community plans were made based on that. The link below lists some info about the "why not"...at any rate, it's still a cluster....not sure if it will ever be anything but a cluster...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellefonte_Nuclear_Plant

Widow's Creek was a local TVA coal fired plant. My father worked there for many years. At one time it was the largest generating station in the country and had one of, if not the, highest tower in the country. As coal was being phased out it was eventually shut down. It was sold to Google to serve as a data center. Of all the fossil fuels, coal was the cheapest source of power....no where for electric prices to go except up as coal is removed.
We don’t have enough electricity to cover immediate needs. Here in Nowhere, Tennessee, there are over 200 building permits issued within 1 1/2 miles of me that are being built as we speak. I’ve heard no one address this concern.

Bring on the transient urbanite!!!! There won’t be anyone left in New Jersey in 20 years.
© 24hourcampfire