Home
Posted By: gonehuntin Moonshine - 06/16/22
https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/...eId=d6797553-ad7d-4cd5-a7fc-4524e80fbd8e

By Travis Holt June 15, 2022

Moonshine, though often associated with Appalachia, is also an integral part of the Ozarks culture.

Growing up in the hills of Newton County, Arkansas, I lived a privileged life. I got to know a good amount of my ancestors, and hear their stories and experiences. Though most of them were straight laced, hard-working and proud folks, I would occasionally hear the whispered word about something illicit, something that was forbidden and frowned upon, something that permeated the culture that I lived in. That thing was moonshine whiskey.

Growing up in the hills of Newton County, Arkansas, there were legends.

Many of them took the form of people, some of who I knew well, others passed long before my time. Sometimes the legends took the place of a certain event, like a brawl or murder or some other happening that captured not only the imaginations of those around, but the memory of all those close by.

But in all those legends, one stands out amongst the others; moonshine whiskey.

Now, let me be the first to say that there are few other subjects that draw such a wide range of emotion from folks that hear the subject brought forth. I have seen happiness and disgust, pride and shame and grins and tears. There are few subjects that make such a profound impact upon our culture.

Growing up in what I consider the ‘post whiskey’ era, I still was privileged to know many who participated in the aforementioned trade.

In my own life I was privileged to know many of the older generations, since I was born in late 1987. Still, though many of the purveyors of the trade were long gone, they were still spoken of in whispered tones.

‘Whiskey men’ is how my great uncle and grandfather referred to them. There were several, many of them local folks who were well known. Most of them involved their own families in the trade of illicit liquor, but some who remained nearly anonymous even years after their own deaths.

Such was the secrecy of the trade. My own grandfather spoke openly to us about his father’s wish that none of his own kids would ‘make whiskey’ though he made it himself. He refused to teach any of his sons, and his trade died with him.

My 2nd great grandfather, George Washington Freeman, was a whiskey man that taught his own sons the trade. He always said that a man would get caught if he made it look like he was ‘makin whiskey.’ So his cover was that he worked in the fields all day and then made whiskey at night (we still don’t know when he slept). George’s saving grace was that he had his still in a remote cave on his property, that was underground and had a cold, clear spring running in it. More of a ‘crack in the bluff.’ He had to break down his kegs and feed them through the opening and then re-assemble them on the other side, once he had his whiskey made. He used this trade to feed his own family through hard times, as many others did.

The whole concept of the ‘rich moonshiner’ is quite ponderous to those of us that have known them and understood the way that they have lived. Some folks get the idea that some hillbilly with a great corn crop suddenly distills it and stuffs the excess from the sale under his mattress.

The truth is far from that.

The average whiskey man in the Ozarks gets his recipe handed down through the generations, and practiced it as an art, a craft to be mastered, from his forebears. He did it, initially, not to turn a profit, but to provide him with liquor for medicinal (and, admittedly) other uses. This was the foundation of the Ozark ‘moonshiner.’

Some whiskey men learned that their own recipe or method was superior to others. Time evolved the making of ‘wildcat’ (as most of my forebears would never call it ‘moonshine’) to a near perfection through trial and error. A good recipe is crucial, yes, but what if a man changed ‘this or that’ and then tried it? The results were sometimes amazing.

The Ozarks were, and are, a poor country, by most all standards. The folks that settled here were hard working, superstitious, clannish and (most of all) proud people. The hills and hollers they settled and farmed often belong to their offspring today, thankfully.

Wildcat was always in the hills, but the idea of it being more than a bartering agent didn’t come along ‘til around the Great Depression and prohibition.

When a man has a wife and several children to feed, the legality of how he comes by a dollar starts to mean less. Not that I’m saying that my bunch, (and many others) were criminals born, nor that they took such things lightly; they simply had a skill passed to them that could prove profitable. In fact, most of the whiskey men I was acquainted with only took to the craft to support and feed their families. It wasn’t a ‘get rich quick’ scheme, but a ‘keep the kids fed’ scheme.

So many with a small understanding of the big picture seem to overlook this; not that I’m making excuses for the whiskey men, some of them did plenty of evil in their time, say, Yates ‘Wolfman’ Standridge. But there were plenty who did nothing but mind their stills and use the money to (literally) buy their children shoes.

This is a small essay on wildcat, and it, like anything short of a multi-volume work, cannot truly explain the making nor the importance of ‘moonshine’ whiskey to our culture.

Fact of it is, even though it is oft associated with Appalachia, our ancestors brought it with them when they settled the wilds of the Ozarks, and moonshine whiskey is as much a part of our culture as it is theirs. It has been involved in love and war; feuds and reconciliations; marriages and burials; all the aspects of our ancestor’s lives have been touched in it, in a way.

Wildcat is a part of our heritage. It’s hard to write an objective piece on something that has brought so much heartache, but it has also brought much joy and good.

Good or bad, it is a part of our heritage and our people.

I’ll close this short piece with a story of my own people;

During the 1960s in the poor, backwoods of Newton County, my grandfather and his cousin were once saddled with driving 50 gallons of wildcat to a buyer. They rolled along the quiet, dark night in a ’55 Ford. They were both teenagers, and jumpy about being placed behind the wheel, but they knew that the success of this trip meant money for the family. The driver asked my grandfather ‘Meckey, what if we get caught?’ Papa fished around and found a tire iron and brandished it and announced ‘If we get pulled over, I’ll break every jar in here!’ His cohort thought about it a minute and said ‘Hell, Meckey! That’d drown us!!’
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
What is the big deal about moonshine?
People act like some hillbilly invented the best moonrocket ever,
out of some grain and yeast.

People been making alcohol and distilling, all over the world, forever.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

It was more about telling the govt to "stick it!" than anything else.

Fast cars, making illegal hooch, guns, and guts to do something besides roll over.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22

Taxes
Posted By: pullit Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
and the money they could make
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
What's this moonshine stuff?
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22

I've got a jug of Welch's juice fermenting in a closet right now for fun: 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp of brewer's yeast. It should be ready around Independence Day.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
I got uninvited 1/2 way thru a swamp party

I told the host’s cougar that her homemade made tasted mouse pee and salad dressing.

I was an ungr8tful ass hole

Tequila and prednisone make say mean things. lol

I missed the fireworks too
Originally Posted by slumlord

I told the host’s cougar that her homemade made tasted mouse pee and salad dressing.

Well, by your own words it was a 'swamp party', they weren't going to serve 5 star Michelin fare, right? But letting the guests down on hooch is a bit unseemly, no matter the occasion.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22

I learnt along time ago, when it comes to homemade liquor or kids, that whoever had a hand in making them thinks that theirs is the best that ever was... regardless of how schitty and repulsive they really are!
laugh
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by stxhunter

It’s the waste (pee & poo) product of fungus….
Posted By: mathman Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

That's beer. There's another step, distillation, to get to high proof spirits. grin
Posted By: Raeford Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

That's beer. There's another step, distillation, to get to high proof spirits. grin

Then another step involved, using charred white oak to make it consumable.
Posted By: mathman Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
You don't like white dog?
Much prefer caramel hued beverages.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I learnt along time ago, when it comes to homemade liquor or kids, that whoever had a hand in making them thinks that theirs is the best that ever was... regardless of how schitty and repulsive they really are!
laugh
Lmao, now if that ain't the truth right here. You can add home cooked spaghetti sauce to that list.
The company men would send hot shot drivers 600 miles to Corpus from West Texas to pick up shine from my house in Corpus when I was in the oilfield.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Fast cars, making illegal hooch, guns, and guts to do something besides roll over.

Not talking about prohibition or folks making a buck.
Those folks made a product and kept their mouth shut.

Today.

It's Moonshine this and Moonshine that.

Fits right in with the lifted truck, fancy boots that never saw dirt,
And a big hat. All part of Bro-Cűntry.

Have consumed a bit. Most, rocket fuel.
Some, easy drinking.

None, truly better than a commercial drink.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
[/b]
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Not talking about prohibition or folks making a buck.
Those folks made a product and kept their mouth shut.

Today.

It's Moonshine this and Moonshine that.

Fits right in with the lifted truck, fancy boots that never saw dirt,
And a big hat. All part of Bro-Cűntry.

Have consumed a bit. Most, rocket fuel.
Some, easy drinking.

[b]None, truly better than a commercial drink.

I have relatives that make it. They add burnt sugar for color and to smooth it a bit, soak oak chips in it for "character" and cut it to about 100 proof with good water. Their best efforts result in a product of a quality you'd expect for about $8.00 a quart at the package store.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
The good stuff is made in a prison toilet...'flave says.

mike r
Ole Smokey Moonshine can't make their nasty chit fast enough!

It's either un-drinkable 100proof clear or flavored 40 proof.
$27 quart.
Folk buying 4,5,6 qt at a time all day.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22

Haha!

Yeah...no kidding.

It's good!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
When I was going to TAMU at College Station in the early 1980’s, there was some damn fine moonshine still being made in SE TX. We’d pay some students from that area and Far East TX to bring us the good stuff.
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
When I was younger I handled cocks in the pit, got a whiskey still out back, been known to grow a little dope and run my hounds on bear and I ain’t making excuses for none of it.
Originally Posted by kkahmann
When I was younger I handled cocks in the pit, got a whiskey still out back, been known to grow a little dope and run my hounds on bear and I ain’t making excuses for none of it.
We'd get along.
Especially the cock handling part.....
Posted By: JHM Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
I’ve drank some that was very good and some that was horrible. The best was made with banana. The second best was made out back of a little joint in Puerto Rico out of sugar cane.
The worst? I don’t know what is was made of and I don’t think I really want to know.
Best I ever had came out of Texas.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
lol had 3 cop cars at my house when I was 16 because one of my game cocks got in the neighbor's garden and when she tried to shoo it away it but a few holes in her leg.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
The best I had reeked of sweet corn when you opened the jar.
Wish I could get more!
lol had 3 cop cars at my house when I was 16 because one of my game cocks got in the neighbor's garden and when she tried to shoo it away it but a few holes in her leg.

I raised bantam fighting chickens.

Mean bastards.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Originally Posted by mathman
You don't like white dog?

Haven't heard that in a long time.

I love good white, but even around here it's way harder to find that it was even 15 years ago. Lots of homemade sweet fruity junk that's more like MD 20/20 than moonshine, but not much corn squeezins.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22

I raised bantam fighting chickens.

Mean bastards.

I had red dunns, but it's many years since I've been involved. There was a cockfight busted near here a few months ago, not far from our gun club. Participants from a few states, I think. Guy hosting was quoted in the paper as saying, "We were just having some fun." Hard to believe cockfighting is now outlawed in every state. Can that even be constitutional?
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Growing up near what many consider the moonshine capital I was privileged to get to know some interesting characters that made and distributed the stuff. I have heard some crazy stories from those boys. Many were and still are good at their craft.
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Any good diagrams of how to set up a small still along with family recipes? How exactly does a thump keg work and does it improve the quality?
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Any good diagrams of how to set up a small still along with family recipes? How exactly does a thump keg work and does it improve the quality?

https://homedistiller.org/forum/
I built mine from a 16-gallon keg. buddy built a couple more.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Sweet!
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
The best I've had was from Wilkes Co. NC. It tasted like Cuervo gold and was smooth.

Stills/supplies/parts:

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/

https://milehidistilling.com/
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Stills/supplies/parts:

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/

https://milehidistilling.com/
the thing bout buying one already made, is they have to let the feds know who they sold it to, much cheaper to make your own, soldering is simple.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
tag
They sell those under the pretense it's going to be used to distill alcohol for fuel which you can get a permit for.
I did buy my clamps and gaskets from those guys and other odds and ends but not the still. you can buy a tower and clamp it to the keg.
Clawhammer leaves it up to you, they don't get involved other than a generic disclaimer:

https://www.clawhammersupply.com/pages/legal-stuff

According to federal rules, stills of any size are legal to own if not being used, nor intended to be used, to produce alcohol. In other words, if a still is only being used to distill, filter, or purify water or to make something like essential oils, and these actions do not involve the distillation of alcohol, a still of any size is legal to own.
Posted By: blindshooter Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22

Some of my friends have reflux column setups sorta like that.

I stay away from the product they end up with.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22

How do you clean out those stills? Just boil water in em and pour it out?
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
Cleaning a still is pretty easy—if you make your cuts properly you’ll have lots of high proof feints to sterilize.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Moonshine - 06/16/22
STX, Does that condenser do a good job of knocking down the vapor?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by Tyrone
STX, Does that condenser do a good job of knocking down the vapor?
yes they are water-cooled, the pump is in the ice chest and circulates cool water through it.
usually, double distill.
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
I love good shine.
the main thing is making your cuts, which takes a little practice. stuff we make will not give you a hangover, might still wake up with a buzz but you won't feel bad or have a headache.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
That's true.
The reason commercial whisky gives you a hangover is they don't cut it as much so they get more volume and leave more impurity's in it and that's why you have a headache and feel like chit. Also, the reason the company men liked it, wouldn't wake up hungover.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
Jukebox 'n' sawdust floor
Sumpin' like I ain't never seen
And I'm just going on fifteen
But with the help of my finaglin' uncle I get snuck in
For my first taste of sin
I said "Lemme have a big old sip"
Bllll-bbbb, I done a double back flip
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
The reason commercial whisky gives you a hangover is they don't cut it as much so they get more volume and leave more impurity's in it and that's why you have a headache and feel like chit. Also, the reason the company men liked it, wouldn't wake up hungover.

I got into that shine you sent me a couple times.

Never hurt at all the next day.

I have been blind ever since though.

I got into that shine you sent me a couple times.

Never hurt at all the next day.

I have been blind ever since though.
lmao.
Back around 89, I went to web county, Larado area with another buddy who was a flooring installer also, he was a chicken fighter as well. We had barely enough money to get there, he ended up winning sixty thousand dollars at that derby.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
The best head fog comes from West “BY GOD” Virginia.

ETA: Love me some Char.
Originally Posted by MarkWV

Sent some of mine to Denny in WV and he and his other buddies liked it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
Never tried it, they say it will knock you on your ass!
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
Mid to late 70’s I helped build a local pit .
Was a dandy , one of the owners owned a bar he used his business for food and beverage supply and his ole lady ran the kitchen and drinks at the pit .
Lot of interesting people from all levels of life participate in one way or another .
Been years ago , don’t remember the purse , but some of the derby’s were pretty big .
Guys there with wads that would choke a horse .
All kinds of sides going on in the parking lot .
Liquor , women working out of vans , little skunky shiet .
Then they went and made it a felony , now things are kept very low key .
A lot of people quit because of it .
A fellow could get a good hook up on liquor from all kinds of places .
Some real good , some burn a hole through ya .
I liked the peach best , corn was ok , but peach had less bite .
I ain’t talking about some shiet liquor some body dumped a can of peaches in , this was clear and had a light scent of peach and curl your toes .
Kenneth
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
I never made it to Salisaw but a couple of my birds did.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
Originally Posted by MarkWV

Sent some of mine to Denny in WV and he and his other buddies liked it.

Stxhunter if you have any extra send some to iowa for a taste test !!
next batch we make.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
Sweet!! Need anything from iowa,, maybe some sweet as sweet corn?
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22
I have tried some. One was terrible and had an aftertaste the next day. The other was ok. Not what I would call good.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Moonshine - 06/17/22

Right on stx.
© 24hourcampfire