Home
Looking at retirement rifles. Long range, not competition, just busting steel. I'm kind of diggin' on the T3x SUPER VARMINT in 6.5 CM. I've never shot one, hell, never seen one first hand. For that money, around $1000-$1100, would you expect to build better than that?
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Looking at retirement rifles. Long range, not competition, just busting steel. I'm kind of diggin' on the T3x SUPER VARMINT in 6.5 CM. I've never shot one, hell, never seen one first hand. For that money, around $1000-$1100, would you expect to build better than that?
I don’t see how you beat $1000-1100. I have a similar purpose casual long range rifle chambered in 6.5 CM that I spent about the same on. It’s a Remington 700 SPS 22” threaded heavy barrel profile that I dropped in a Grayboe Renegade stock and replaced the trigger group, put a SWFA scope on it and it holds 5 round sub .5 MOA with several factory and hand loads out to at least 300 yards the furthest that I’ve shot for precision.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I don’t see how you beat $1000-1100. I have a similar purpose casual long range rifle chambered in 6.5 CM that I spend about the same on. It’s a Remington 700 SPS 22” threaded heavy barrel profile that I dropped in a Grayboe Renegade stock and replaced the trigger group, put a SWFA scope on it and it holds 5 round sub .5 MOA with several factory and hand loads out to at least 300 yards the furthest that I’ve shot for precision.
That sounds like a donor action you aren't calculating in. That Remington action in a blueprinted from PTG is like $700 by itself. $550 not printed.
It’s an all stock factory rifle other than replacing the flimsy rifle stock that it came with and upgrading the trigger.

I’ve been beyond happy with it. It’s easily my most accurate rifle.

Having said that it’s a sample of one. I think that you would be hard pressed to beat the Tikka that you’ve considering.
Couldn't one build on AR10 platform to same weight and accuracy for that?

Make mine a 257 Roberts instead of Manbun.
Yes, I could build a better rifle from bits and pieces I've got lying around the shop, at virtually no cost, but I've been doing it for 40+ years.
Amazes me how good I can get AR15s to shoot just screwing stuff together. I plan to retire April fools day 23.

Lead bullets with good power in little clusters is my quest.

Might start on AR10 platform with 358.

I've been playing with airplanes for 30 yrs and could make something fly from stuff sitting around.
Just so you know, I’ve have been retired 12 years Thursday next, and am picking up another “retirement” rifle tomorrow…..

If it winds your clock, go for it. From all accounts, they shoot about as well as any, better than most, right out of the box.

My next “retirement” rifle might very well be one!
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Yes, I could build a better rifle from bits and pieces I've got lying around the shop, at virtually no cost, but I've been doing it for 40+ years.

Oh go lay down.

You paint Walmart Savages for a living?
I had the plan for a perfect rifle in my head, and some German by the name of Paul Mauser stole my ideas.
What I was floating around was a Preferred Barrel Blanks 26" 6.5 CM with a .150 FB. The Remington action I have on hand would be a donor. It is in 223 so I would get a PTG bolt with a Sako or Lawton extractor. Half the price of a complete action. It would have a PTG speed lock. Then it would go into a KRG Bravo stock with some good scope. Probably looking at $1500 or so complete. Of course scoping the Tikka would not be cheap either.
What I was floating around was a Preferred Barrel Blanks 26" 6.5 CM with a .150 FB. The Remington action I have on hand would be a donor. It is in 223 so I would get a PTG bolt with a Sako or Lawton extractor. Half the price of a complete action. It would have a PTG speed lock. Then it would go into a KRG Bravo stock with some good scope. Probably looking at $1500 or so complete. Of course scoping the Tikka would not be cheap either.
In that case I’d go with option number one mostly for the KRG Bravo stock.
Tikka makes a decent rifle. I met a guy at a PRS competition that was shooting a Tikka he had re-barreled with a Krieger 8 TW 6.5 CM. He did well with it. Finished ahead of a lot of guys that were shooting scopes that cost more than his barreled action. He did have a decent SS scope. Tikkas are gtg. Howa is another fine action. It has the extractor and bolt release that Remington should have. (my opinion)
Custom actions have come down some and there's a lot to choose from.
The 257 Roberts is a fine cartridge but it's troublesome to get good bullets in 25 cal. for long range work. The .243 is gtg. 6mm bullets are plentiful because they're used in competition a lot. Actually, the old .270 is a good round. Same thing with good bullets for long range work. For hunting almost anything you want is good if you know how to use it.
It's not magic. It's just good common-sense building a purpose-built rifle. The cost is going to be contingent on whether you go with a custom or an off the shelf rifle and the scope is a whole nother matter. Anything that will consistently shoot MOA or better with a scope that is repeatable and adjustable for range in a cartridge that has good bullets ballistically superior with low recoil is gtg for the most part.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Oh go lay down.

Bout spit my popsicle out!!
i dont think you can build a better rifle for the money...barrels are almost 400 dollars know and stocks 6-800 so there is your complete tikka rifle that will shoot way better than a inch in my shooting experience
Buy a CZ
Bet you could buy 2 or 3 Tikkas, wring them out, keeping the
most accurate. Sell the other(s).

Be money ahead, and rifle ahead of quite a few factory based "customs".

Someone else mentioned Howa. Same for them.

Not putting down customs, but a custom on action costs the same as
a Tikka.

A factory action blue printed is close.

A top shelf barrel, properly fitted? Same.

Top shelf stock, done up by gunsmith? Pushing it.
$1200 will get close to a Christensen arms Mesa.

I’ve got one i can LH.

Shoots well.

700 footprint action /w some bolt release.
Triggertech trigger.
Thread barrel.
Cerakoted.
Carbon fiber composite stock.

Oh go lay down.

laugh laugh laugh

Hotrod_Lincoln taught Mark Penrod and George Gardner everything they know.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Buy the Tikka. Unless you enjoy the fugking around building a gun thing.
IN a year and a half I will be taking social security. For my retirement I would like a RUGER Scout in .223 and an 18" barrel. I'm easy to please but I have not seen one on a shelf or even at a gun show for months. I'd have to trade something off but that is doable. I'm just not interested in the long range stuff anymore. Maybe at one time but not today. The middle ranges suit me just fine. 55 to 70 grain bullets would be the bomb. It's a good enough rifle to pass onto my grandson in the not too distant future. It could serve him well for years to come after I'm done with it.

Although the aluminum chassis rifles have an interesting draw to them. So many options and too little time. Rainshot mentioned the .270. I always wanted one but I never had the reason to get one. It seemed to me like the .270 has been ignored for a long time. It has potential in the right hands. The 30-06 case can hold a boat load of powder. A 1903 receiver and match it with the right barrel and look out down range. Great conversation.
kwg
If you gotta pay more than $.50 an hour for labor... ya can't beat that deal.
I have built many rifles...

Going forward... EVERYTHING will be https://terminusactions.com/product/zeus/

...or better.

Oh go lay down.

Oh snap!

Big Jim, hotrodder Lincoln is gonna whoop you like blackfart does....
Good glass is as important as the rifle you choose. Rio7
Originally Posted by jackmountain

I have to admit I do like building a rifle.

Then there’s your answer. Tikka’s are soul less. But the end result is the same.

No!

The Tikka is a good rifle for twice the price and still cheaper than building your own. If you want to throw money at “customizing” it then $500-$700 oughta buy you a nice stock to your specs.
Originally Posted by RIO7
Good glass is as important as the rifle you choose. Rio7

Absolutely true and an excellent point. Buy the Tikka and use the $2000+ dollars that you saved over building and buy the best glass possible. Or look at some of the smaller more detailed rifles like Defiance or Seekins or any of the multitudes of offerings available. If the goal is an extremely accurate rifle then you have many options off the rack.

Whatever way you go I hope you keep us updated on your choice and more importantly I hope that you are happy with your decision. 👍
I like Tikka’s, but what about a Savage?
Yes. M70 Featherweight.

CZ 550 American.

A custom built on a VZ-24, 1909 Argentine, M98, Defiant Machine w/ CRF Action, Mausingfield, etc.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I have built many rifles...

Going forward... EVERYTHING will be https://terminusactions.com/product/zeus/

...or better.

Cash;
Good evening my cyber friend, I trust the day was decent to you and you're all well.

Since I've first seen this video, these have me intrigued but admittedly part of it is they're made a couple valleys west of us.

I was trying my best to convince a couple shooting buddies to build something on one, but one bought a Sako S20 instead, so I'm now losing hope. wink

Anyways, it's an interesting action and thought I'd share.

All the best.

Dwayne
Hotrod Lincoln done spoke, thread killer he is.

Cokksucker knows everything.
My bone stock Tikka 595 7-08 is the most accurate factory out of box non custom rifle I have ever fired. Not to mention the smooth as glass action on it. Have also heard good things about the Christianson Arms rifles for about the $ figure you mentioned.
My experience with Savage is actually pretty good. I had 2 BVSS's one in 30-06 and the other in 300 mag. I used 190 grain Sierra MK's and H4831in both. The 30-06 would do 1000 yards and the 300 1200 yards plus. My current Savage is an FV from Cabelas in 223. Right out of the box with little work on the free float, 3/8-5/8 inch groups at 100 yards.
My experience with Savage is actually pretty good. I had 2 BVSS's one in 30-06 and the other in 300 mag. I used 190 grain Sierra MK's and H4831in both. The 30-06 would do 1000 yards and the 300 1200 yards plus. My current Savage is an FV from Cabelas in 223. Right out of the box with little work on the free float, 3/8-5/8 inch groups at 100 yards.

My experience with Savage has been the same as yours, they shoot! I’ve seen very, VERY few post 1990 Savage bolt action centerfires that didn’t shoot sub MOA with factory ammo. I have a 116 FSAK in .338WM that shoots all factory ammo except partitions into well under 3/4” and oftentimes better. I’m sure that the limiting factor is me as that rifle is the most consistently accurate rifle I’ve found. 200-250gr original X bullets, TSX & TTSX, A-Frames, Failsafes, Sciroccos, Ballistic tips….even cheap Power Points and Corelokts are sub MOA. I haven’t been able to get Partitions to shoot under an inch but that’s fine since there are equally good options available and I’m not emotionally attached to any particular bullet. My longest kill with that rifle, or any rifle I’ve used for big game, was 537 yards on a cow elk outside of Roosevelt Utah. For a number of years I hunted everything with that rifle from elk and bears to rabbits, grouse (head shoot) and coyotes. I have an intimate and understanding relationship with that rifle and because of our closeness I have supreme confidence when I’m carrying that rifle. All my other rifles (bolts) are very accurate with several rivaling the Savage and most costing much more than the Savage but because of the countless hours we’ve spent afield together I feel as though anything I intend to kill is effectively already dead except for the formality of pulling the trigger. 😁 I don’t hunt with the Savage as much as I used to but I’m satisfied knowing that she’s there and I have hundreds of rounds ready to feed her.

You only have to please yourself so buy what you want and what you feel confident and comfortable with. As you know most production rifles are quite consistently accurate or can be with minimal work (ie different stock or bedding) so it really comes down to what you like and what makes you happy.

ArmedandFree….You seem like a good man that works hard and from what I’ve gathered you care deeply for your loved ones despite the personal difficulties or past history. I’m sure that your upcoming retirement will be a new but wonderfully exciting change with the freedom to play more and enjoy life. I truly wish you the best of what hopefully is a VERY VERY long retirement with many decades of good health, exciting adventures and surrounded by the love of family and friends.
Yesterday I shot my home built Savage coming in at $1200 plus’s brake and glass against a couple of buddies shooting the Tikka CTRs. Distance 500 yards. One of the tikkas clearly outshot my Salvage and the other did as well with the correct driver. For $1000 the CTR can’t be beat. Change the trigger spring for less than $20, screw on a brake and good glass and your done.
You can find a Tikka CTR for just a hair more and they are fine rifles as well. Mine is in a 260 and it has turned in some fine groups at 600 yards for sure.
If the only thing you are looking for is stellar, consistent accuracy then the Tikka is for you. I own one but among the other rifles I have it is in last place.

It's not even my most accurate rifle .

With luck you may be able to build one that is likely to be as accurate as the Tikka but it will take a fair amount of parts shopping, money spent shipping parts back and forth and the possibility that in the end it won't be as good as the Tikka. Also it will probably take a minimum of a year to get it done.
Personally I would purchase the Tikka in a heartbeat and get out and enjoy it instead of the agony of building something in the hopes that it may be as good.
Another consideration is that should you decide to sell the rifle later on the Tikka will be easier and likely worth more than a "parts" rifle.

drover
All I have are Tikkas so I’m no judge.

Part of the fun might be in the build. You likely won’t get better accuracy and yes, it will take a lot of effort, but if it’s the effort you enjoy I say build.

But buy the Tikka while you’re in the building process. That way you’ll still get to shoot while you’re waiting. Afterward you can sell the Tikka, maybe for more than you paid.

P
An elderly Mauser 98 I picked up in a pawn shop for $350.00 because it had a funky-looking blue job on the barrel shoots quarter-sized groups at 250 yards off a sandbag rest. It's got a 26" heavy varmint barrel, a massive Fajen stock, and has been converted to single shot configuration, and it's chambered for ".22 Varminter"- - - -the granddaddy of the .22-250. The original military trigger has been converted to single stage, with about a 6-ounce pull weight. That's with an ancient 10X Weaver steel tube scope. The gunsmith who built it obviously knew what he was doing. The rifle weighs around 12 pounds. It looks like it was probably built in the early 1950's or so. I had ideas of installing a more modern scope, but the burning question is "Why?" A groundhog or crow doesn't care whether or not I spent a few thousand dollars to give it a terminal case of lead poisoning, and I'm far beyond caring what a bunch of keyboard jockey trolls that I hope I never meet in person think about anything.
and I'm far beyond caring what a bunch of keyboard jockey trolls that I hope I never meet in person think about anything.

…but I continue to post my stories in hopes that those same keyboard jockey trolls will read them.
It's calles sucker bait and you bottom feeders bite every time.
nd I'm far beyond caring what a bunch of keyboard jockey trolls that I hope I never meet in person think about anything.

I think the feeling is mutual, Yet like Pharm said you still post.
© 24hourcampfire