Home
Did you make it ok? Was it dark or daylight?
Yes, yes, and yes.

That said theres nothing I hate doing worse. I carry a floor jack up in the hills to speed up the process and slow down the frustration .
I've been driving since 1973, so yeah. Tires were a different animal then. We put re-caps on our old truck, so you'd get plenty of practice through the years.
Are you talking

Wheel barrow tire? .... Yes
Bicycle tire? ..... Yes
Car tire? ..... Yes
Pickup tire? ..... Yes
Smal Truck tire? .... Yes
Large semi truck tire? .... Yes
Small Tractor tire? .... Yes
Larger Tractor tire?.....Nope

Some were in day light and other in the dark. I used to cary an handyman jack and a 5 tom hydraulic jack with a piece of 2X6 to set then on. A good ratchet wrench with buster handle. Then spray wd-40 on the bolts before you tighten the lug nuts up.
I drove 20 miles of country roads in high school. Flat tires were common. I changed plenty, day and night.
But in the past 30 plus years, I’ve changed only one.
Many a time and still would rather change a tire than a baby diaper! Tires dont make me gag.
Originally Posted by Bwana338
Are you talking

Bicycle tire? ..... Yes
Car tire? ..... Yes
Pickup tire? ..... Yes

Some were in day light and other in the dark. I used to cary an handyman jack and a 5 tom hydraulic jack with a piece of 2X6 to set then on. A good ratchet wrench with buster handle. Then spray wd-40 on the bolts before you tighten the lug nuts up.

I'll see your list and raise you a:
camper tire?... yes
skid steer tire? ... yes
motorcycle tire? ... yes
ATV tire? ... yes
heavy equipment trailer tire? ... yes

Looking back on it.... I've got a lot of stuff
More than I care to remember from pickup trucks to cornpickers and everything in between
Ta hell with darkness. Have ya changed one in the rain and had to crawl under to drag out the spare? Oh, yeah. That was in the dark. On the AlCan.

Nothin scares me anymore! 🤣💪
Lost count a long time ago, includes taking them off the rims and remounting a new or different one with make do tools. Rear tractor tires down to ATV and boat trailer. Every vehicle carries a proper lug nut socket and power handle 2 feet long. We aren't calling roadside assistance for a flat or gas.
Way more than I care to talk about! LOL!

I drive a '01 Dodge 3500 dually.
Due to injuries (elbow) and surgery (shoulder), I can change a tire, I just can't wrestle the tires any longer! LOL!
Generator, air compressor and air wrench. Maybe with enough leverage, I could get one of those bonkers swapped out.
Into what?
How about a push mower? What a bish
Had one on the interstate on my trailer hauling a skid loader. Unloaded the loader, dropped the trailer, lifted trailer with loader etc… you get the picture. All with trucks going by at 80mph plus. Good times…….good times!
I started driving in 1963 and on Nevada's endless miles of dirt highways, as well as what we now call 4-wheel drive trails, driven in a '49 Ford PU and a 51 GMC PU. We changed a lot of tires. On one single day deer bow hunt on Mt Grant I changed to three spares; we always brought all we had, since there were no other people around for many miles.

I well remember that in 1964 I put the Handy-Man jack through of the hood of my dad's new Jeep Wagoneer. eek eek eek
What about when we had to use those old bumper jacks? Did you think it was going to fly out and knock your teeth out?
Yeah, it went O.K., considering the circumstances. Yeah it was dark, midnight-ish. Yeah, it was winter, and was 10 below zero. This was on the beltline, the busiest road in the county.

There were others, but this one stands out.
Nope, never. Not even once.

Change it into what, anyway?
Yes, both day and night. I started driving on country roads when I was 14. I've changed tires on cars, pickup trucks, and my old Willys Jeep. Although I carry an AAA card, I can still do it if necessary. smile

L.W.
Today?

Not yet.
This is a joke, right. WTF has never had to change a tire?

When I got my new 2004 Ranger last Fall, the tires were dry rotted and I came out one morning to a flat caused by seepage. Don’t know how long it’d been since those lugs were cranked on, but I couldn’t budge them. Finally, applied some Kroil and put a two-foot long piece of aluminum cable-rack channel over my breaker bar. Bingo. Now I keep that combo behind the seat, but also bought an electric impact driver for the garage.
Yes. Does that mean I get to be a member of the club?
After I got a Milwaukee 1/2" impact I almost popped a tire on purpose just so I could use it lol. I also have a scissor Jack with an adapter for the impact gun, which also fits the deal that lowers the spare 🤘🏻 Hell yeah.... like a nascar pit stop !
Originally Posted by Pappy348
This is a joke, right. WTF has never had to change a tire?.

Really….
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ta hell with darkness. Have ya changed one in the rain and had to crawl under to drag out the spare? Oh, yeah. That was in the dark. On the AlCan.

How 'bout this one: I also was driving the Alcan once in about '91. I came upon a group of stinkin' hippies sitting on the side of the road, next to their schitty VW bus, heads in hands, looking forlorn. I stop, get out and I said: what's up SchitBags? They said (in that hippie voice) Man! we lost our driveshaft! I said well, did you look for it? They said yeah, we couldn't find it. So I walked back down the Alcan about 25 yards and lo and behold - there it was sitting in the middle of road! Miraculously, they had a spare set of u-joints, so I set about reinstalling the drive shaft and they were good to go. They were fawning all over me and wanted to give me psychedelic mushrooms in payment. I refused and was on my way. Crazy, stinkin' hippies. I probably saved their lives that day - They likely would have rotted in place or a bear would have et 'em, if I hadn't come along.
Does a bear chit in the woods, hell I've changed a water pump and other stuff on the side of the road.
Yep. I've done many roadside repairs in my time. Just glad I was able to do so.
About 12 years ago my daughter was in college and she and some of her girl friends were in her friends car and they were traveling across Montana. They had a flat tire and when they got pulled over along the road my daughters friends were concerned about how they were going to get help out there to change the tire. My daughter said whats the big deal we will change it ourselves. So she showed her girl friends how to change a tire and off they went. When she started learning to drive that is one of the things I taught her to do was change a tire. We practiced it several time with different rigs until she got proficent doing it.
Worst was a grader tire, in the dark. No impact. An that SOB hadnt been off in a long time.

Changed a bunch on the dump trucks too.
Posted By: EdM Re: Have you ever changed a tire? - 06/24/22
In my 43 years of vehicle ownership maybe a half dozen times and not for at least 25 years.
I don't use a tire gauge....I just put my ear up against them until they sound right.
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Worst was a grader tire, in the dark. No impact. An that SOB hadnt been off in a long time.

Changed a bunch on the dump trucks too.

That must have been a lot of fun...LOL

Biggest I ever changed was a rear on my swather in a muddy field. If not for the FE loader on my tractor I'd still be there...after ten years.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Yes. Does that mean I get to be a member of the club?
You always were!
Originally Posted by High_Noon

How 'bout this one: I also was driving the Alcan once in about '91. I came upon a group of stinkin' hippies sitting on the side of the road, next to their schitty VW bus, heads in hands, looking forlorn. I stop, get out and I said: what's up SchitBags? They said (in that hippie voice) Man! we lost our driveshaft! I said well, did you look for it? They said yeah, we couldn't find it. So I walked back down the Alcan about 25 yards and lo and behold - there it was sitting in the middle of road! Miraculously, they had a spare set of u-joints, so I set about reinstalling the drive shaft and they were good to go. They were fawning all over me and wanted to give me psychedelic mushrooms in payment. I refused and was on my way. Crazy, stinkin' hippies. I probably saved their lives that day - They likely would have rotted in place or a bear would have et 'em, if I hadn't come along.
Wow, man! Ya shoulda stayed longer. We got soooo stoned, man!
Our 15 year old daughter gets her drivers license in a week and even SHE has changed a tire. 😁

Part of the deal with being a grown up and doing grown up things is that you have to have a grown up understanding of how to take care of yourself, being responsible for getting you out of the situation that you’re in. We spent 1 full day doing basic “car school”…changing tires, the anatomy of a tire valve stem and how to fix a flat with Slime, hooking up tow straps and a little basic maneuvering while being towed, trailering, jump starting and battery charging, etc. Our daughter performed perfectly and we both actually enjoyed the day. I’m teaching her how to back trailers since that’s quickly becoming a lost art too….just watch a busy boat launch someday.😂. She’s working 2-3 days with my brother moving equipment around his business site and cleaning the dozers, excavators, etc which is giving her the experience that will make her, despite her being a “girly” girl (ie.not a tomboy), more confident, competent and valuable than most grown men…..she’ll be 16 next week. 😁
The worst was on a pickup with aluminum wheels. Dealer didn't use anti-seize after rotating tires. Got a flat rear tire on I-81 headed north in PA while towing a little camper. Thought I had everything I needed - chocks, warning triangles, jack, wrench, good spare - no trouble getting lug nuts off, but could not get the damn wheel off the hub. Flailed away for probably close to an hour, finally called information to find a tow truck. Nearest one that answered phone took almost another hour to get there. He ended up crawling under (with just the oem jack holding truck up), laying a board across back of wheel, and pounding on it with a sledge hammer for about 15 minutes. It was getting dark by the time that wheel came off. Dealer service manager got an earful about anti-seize next time I went in.
Three blown tires into a muddy, miserable elk hunt, not only changed a few, but seated a bead with the help of about a shot glass of white gas.
I would think most people have changed a tire at some point. Maybe some young people in cities haven't, but it's a necessary basic skill. I've done it many times, but it's not my favorite thing, especially when the weather is bad. However, it sure beats being stuck where you are.
Despite wanting my children to know how to change a tire I also have AAA Premier for the 4 of us..so knowing how to change a tire and actually changing the tire are 2 different things. 😂
Yep, seems like every hunting season I have to change at least one. I need to quit buying crappy cheap brand All Terrain tires I guess..Or, quit driving really bad roads. It's no fun changing them...
My stepdaughter had to teach her (now) husband how to change a flat tire on his own car when they'd been together just a short time. Now they're married and she mows the lawn, takes out the trash and does about everything around the house you'd think a normal guy would do. He seems to be content cleaning house and doing laundry as his contribution. I shake my head in amazement daily with this guy - no interrest whatsoever in learning how to be a man.

Oh - I've changed plenty of tires...
Changed different kinds on different vehicles
Working on a mower tire today.
Could only find 1 tire iron and took a long
time to get the old one off and the new tire
back on the wheel. Too hot outside and never
could get the beads to seat. Try tomorrow
first thing before it gets to be 100
Changed a few, been a while. Taken tires off rims with hand tools too.
The last time was in an afternoon next to a busy highway after being pulled over by the police for a blood alcohol check - after passing the test, the cop pointed out that my front driver side tyre was flat, and it was seriously flat. What ever had punctured my tyre had left the scene before I got pulled over, letting the air to depart the tyre rather quickly.
My daughter's first vehicle was a pickup, standard 4 on the floor, she put new bumpers on it and changed out the radiator without me showing her how to. She also fought MMA for a while and is on a roller derby team.
After the the Coup in Ghana the leader of the coup, JJ Rawlings commandeered every truck in the country to get all the dried cocoa beans, them beginning to go bad in sacks piled up in villages all across the Region, to the ports for export. This was a big deal as cocoa was Ghana’s main export, the main source of foreign exchange.

A big ol’ semi truck with armed soldiers aboard rolls up the dirt road past our school, and loads up a bunch of our teenage male students to go load hundredweight (112lb) sacks of cocoa. So naturally the Obruni (White guy AKA me) went along too.

So we get to different villages and, sonuvawitch, turns out that skinny long-haired White guy can pick up and carry hundredweight sacks ( this was a long time ago). It should be understood this was Ghana, 1981, one of the friendliest place in Africa, so this was a typically laid-back sort of event, it ain’t like anyone was getting threatened or screamed at.

But at each stop, when the Obruni would pick up a sack or two, the soldiers at that place would insist that he should go drink some palm wine with them. This done in the usual fashion, seated in a circle around a big black clay pot, everyone taking turns with the same gourd bowl, except on these occasions the other people drinking were festooned with STEN (??) sub machine guns and long FNALs, I want to say I saw a couple of Hi-Powers too but that could be a false memory.

Pretty quick, instead of riding with the students, I was riding from village to village in the back a Chevy (I think) pickup truck driven by the older Officer running the show.

Lo and behold we get a flat, left rear. We jump out of the truck and the soldiers are all standing around at a loss. Of necessity most every place in the world, including Ghana, has great shade tree mechanics but none of them were standing around that particular pickup that day. Plus we had all been drinking a few rounds of palm wine.

WTF, I said, it’s just a flat, and hopped to it, locating the Jack and spare and quickly getting the deed done. They looked at me like I walked on water grin I have been drunk many times, including many times in Africa, but that was probably the most interesting.

Of course I have changed other flats before and after, but that was the only one in Africa.
Yes, daytime, dark, dark in the middle of no where......

Never fun......

I keep my AAA current.
You're all of 12 years age I bet!!
I have changed more tires than I care to think about, daylight, dark, snow rain, put chains on etc.
For a few years I worked as part of a pit crew for a buddy that raced, so I could not count the times I changed tires there.
I used to work in West Dayton Ohio... and lived west of their in New Lebanon.

West Dayton was a REAL CHITHOLE back then...

Coming to work at 5am- 6am once I saw an oldish sedan with a flat... older Asian couple...

I stopped to help. NOT a zone for older folks to be broken down... even at sunrise.

While I was changing their tire... they thanked me and the woman remarked that I had probably saved someone's life today.

Thinking she was a bit over-dramatic I kinda dismissed the comment.

After they were G2G... they thank me. She informed me they worked at the VA and her husband was a Cardiac surgeon and would be doing surgeries on Vets.

God puts things in every man's path.

Sometimes you help... and sometimes you do not... and sometimes a Glock is the correct answer.

Strange memories...

Thanks for the reflection.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Have you ever changed a tire? - 06/24/22
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yes, yes, and yes.

That said theres nothing I hate doing worse. I carry a floor jack up in the hills to speed up the process and slow down the frustration .

And you and I and Rocky didn't have that luxury losing two tires on the same side 20+ miles down a "dirt" road full of quartz crystals a few years ago. mad
Makes all the difference

Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 FUEL 1/2" High Torque Impact Wrench

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
As recently as yesterday. When I was young I run a lot of recaps, I carried a 4 way lug wrench back then.
Originally Posted by JeffA

LOL...

Yepp...

Friends in WV have the 3/4" and 1" version of the Milwaukee for big equipment. Holy Smoke.

I have the $120/$165 Ryobi versions... just because I had lot of 6Ah batteries.

Night and Day difference how much an impact helps... ANY IMPACT...

Never use on an Isuzu Trooper... studs gall... no idea why, but common knowledge.
Yes - many times over the last 60 years+.. Last one was the FL tire on my previous F-350... Heavy beggar.. But nothing like those on my current F-450.. At my age, THAT'S gonna be a challenge..

I got so good at changing tires on campers that I could pull over, change it and be back on the road inside of 15 minutes.. laugh
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Are you talking

Bicycle tire? ..... Yes
Car tire? ..... Yes
Pickup tire? ..... Yes

I'll see your list and raise you a:
camper tire?... yes
skid steer tire? ... yes
motorcycle tire? ... yes
ATV tire? ... yes
heavy equipment trailer tire? ... yes

Looking back on it.... I've got a lot of stuff

Add a dolly, all types of trailers from 4' to 53', balers, and rakes to the list. Not only change the tire when flat, but replaced the tire on the rims for all except the skid steer.
Originally Posted by CashisKing

LOL...

Yepp...

Friends in WV have the 3/4" and 1" version of the Milwaukee for big equipment. Holy Smoke.

I have the $120/$165 Ryobi versions... just because I had lot of 6Ah batteries.

Night and Day difference how much an impact helps... ANY IMPACT...

Never use on an Isuzu Trooper... studs gall... no idea why, but common knowledge.

Wrestling the tires around are enough, especially on the motorhome.

I go with Milwaukee because I gave away all my other gear so I just had a single brand battery to keep around.

Use to be 100% Porter Cable with battery tools until Dewalt bought them out and bastardized the product line to compete with other low end products.

Nothing has ever come close to the old Porter Cable battery powered tools but they were stupid exspensive.
Their entire line was built like that Milwaukee impact, lot's of metal involved, had some that worked hard on industrial jobs for 20+ years and never gave up.

You could disassemble the batteries and rebuilt them yourself.
Just loaded with rechargeable 'C' cells soldiered together, cases had easy to remove screws.

They don't want us doing that anymore, no money in it for them.
I go with Milwaukee because I gave away all my other gear so I just had a single brand battery to keep around.

Copy that... Milwaukee is top shelf stuff and I concur with recommending it every time.

Ryobi is NOT... but I lucked into a pile of 6Ah batteries for a song... so I have lots of chitty Ryobi tools. Throwaways to be honest. Batteries and tools are a complex topic.
A funner question - have you ever had to use starter fluid to get a new tire to seat .. !!!

they make a pretty neat sound…

It’s a true test of you manliness the first time you have to do it. And fun as heck if you teach someone who have never heard of it before…

Extra points if you say - hold my beer !!
Posted By: Teal Re: Have you ever changed a tire? - 06/24/22
Yes - multiple but not for a long time.

Car, Truck, Semi etc.

I've even changed the tire on the rim. Spoons and ether.
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
A funner question - have you ever had to use starter fluid to get a new tire to seat .. !!!

It’s a true test of you manliness the first time you have to do it. And fun as heck if you teach someone who have never heard of it before…

Yep and took a guy to the hospital after. Set the bead with some "authority" - no one noticed the screwdriver sitting on the sidewall - flew and caught him in the face. Got a pile of stitches and bled like a stuck pig.

LOL... some sucked in Chinese trailer tires... I watched.

Holy fugg.

Makes a man hate China with great vengeance.
Yes multiple times , night and day. I have not changed since driving a full size pickup, I draw the line there grin
OK, I once got whacked in the ear by the top of a bumper-jack post when it slipped off the plate-steel monstrosity of a bumper/winch mount on a '58 2-ton Dodge Power Wagon while trying to break the split-rim so I could change the tube and get to work. It was 1980-something.

I didn't get to work that day. My doc recommended two aspirin and a Budweiser or six, once the bleeding stopped. It seemed to work.

She was a wise girl.
Farming, logging, truck driving, working in garages that serviced trucks and cars....have changed tires. Broke them down and swapped tires on rims too.

My Dad had a truck tire fixed at a garage, put it on the flatbed,
hauled it home about 10 miles. 3 on dirt roads. When he tipped it
on the edge of the bed, the split rim blew off in his face.

Those aren't real common anymore, and I have refused to ever
work with one.
Posted By: JHM Re: Have you ever changed a tire? - 06/24/22
Amateurs…

I changed one during a category III Hurricane.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Farming, logging, truck driving, working in garages that serviced trucks and cars....have changed tires. Broke them down and swapped tires on rims too.

My Dad had a truck tire fixed at a garage, put it on the flatbed,
hauled it home about 10 miles. 3 on dirt roads. When he tipped it
on the edge of the bed, the split rim blew off in his face.

Those aren't real common anymore, and I have refused to ever
work with one.

Had a truck come in for an "air leak" - co-worker was out looking at it, getting the serial etc - writing up the truck. Was bent over the rear drives looking down at the brake can for the air leak noise and the rear air bag exploded. Took him right off his feet. 3 days in the hospital, concussion and lost 30% of his hearing. Lucky he didn't lose his hand or head were he really in there.
Replaced the tire on a split rim many times. Gotta be careful!
Changed plenty, but I also I keep a a repair kit in my truck and have had luck being able to find and plug the hole and then plug the small air pump into the cig. lighter to get enough air to get going on my way.

Having your own air pump is essential when you surf fish and need to lower your pressure to drive on the beach in some areas. It is required to have an air pump, shovel, boards, jack etc... to fish Island Beach State Park in New Jersey. So the having the air pump comes in handy.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Have you ever changed a tire? - 06/24/22
If it's round and rubber, steel, or wood, big or little, truck, tractor, trailer, mower, motorcycle, car, solid or split rim, i have mounted, repaired, patched, plugged, more tires than i care to do over. Rio7
Didn't have to when I ran Goodyear MTRs.
About 9 yrs without a flat.

Spoiled me.
Last one I changed was BFG AT when wheeling....on a Jeep

Mountain biking I changed a couple and got back at it.
Little tool kit and pump pretty damn easy on the trail.

New Jeep non Trailhawk Renegade has inflator kit, no spare. Thats being remedied this week.
Better question might be:

Could you change a tire if you had to?????
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
OK, I once got whacked in the ear by the top of a bumper-jack post when it slipped off the plate-steel monstrosity of a bumper/winch mount on a '58 2-ton Dodge Power Wagon while trying to break the split-rim so I could change the tube and get to work. It was 1980-something.

I didn't get to work that day. My doc recommended two aspirin and a Budweiser or six, once the bleeding stopped. It seemed to work.

She was a wise girl.

My dad ran a country store along with a 5 bay garage for about 20yrs, we didn't have a cage to air up the split rims so we laid them flat on the floor and let the floor lift down on top, used the clamp on air chuck and still got the hell out of the way.
Anybody thats ever seen one come apart knows what I'm talking about. We worked on a lot of ancient rusty azz corn trucks, rusty wheels and rotten steel brake lines.
My dad told me to keep my azz in school so I wouldn't have to do that chit forever. He got out of it 2 years after I left, it did take a heart attack to help him make up his mind....

Early Alcan days were tough on tires. We'd start out with new tires on the pickup and usually have two new spares mounted and ready along with a better jack.
What I'd have given for modern radial tires and my cordless impact gun.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
This is a joke, right. WTF has never had to change a tire?

When I got my new 2004 Ranger last Fall, the tires were dry rotted and I came out one morning to a flat caused by seepage. Don’t know how long it’d been since those lugs were cranked on, but I couldn’t budge them. Finally, applied some Kroil and put a two-foot long piece of aluminum cable-rack channel over my breaker bar. Bingo. Now I keep that combo behind the seat, but also bought an electric impact driver for the garage.
Yes
Originally Posted by Muffin
Better question might be:

Could you change a tire if you had to?????

Yes.

Also changed the fuel pump out in an 82 Oldsmobile in the parking lot of a bowling alley. THAT was fun. Full fuel tank. Much more fun than just a tire.
If this forum gets hit with younger folks.....it wont be a joke.
Plenty of 20 something guys have never changed a tire.
Have even heard of silver spoon types older that havent.

Yes, most proly drive a Prius.

What is even more amazing is how many 20.somethings dont have a drivers license
Many. Survived all.

Even got the opportunity to teach younger less knowledgeable drivers how to change their flat tires. It's shocking how many young drivers don't know how to change a tire...
I used to always pull over and help someone change a tire. I first noticed "a change" 20 years ago in South Dakota. Way out in the country I saw a car with a flat pulled over on an exit ramp. I pulled in behind them, and walked up to the car. Female driver and an adult male [can't call him a man, turned out he wasn't much of a man] in the passenger's seat. I knocked on the window. This guy wouldn't even look at me!

I said "Let's change your tire." You could tell the guy was scared of me.
And he said "We have called AAA for help. Please leave us alone."

No need for help from a stranger, this guy had a cell phone! Plus he was incapable of changing a tire. I thought they were a bunch of rugged cowboys and ranchers there in S. Dakota. Come to think of it, I think this car had Minnesota plates.

Just last week I was driving down I 26 near Asheville. The gal in front of me had a blowout, and she pulled over on an exit ramp. I pulled over behind her. I got out, gonna help her change the tire, and she saw me in her mirror, she rolled down her window 2 inches and she shreiked at me "WHAT DO YOU WANT!? PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!!"

11 am, broad daylight, where she stopped was just 50 feet from the interstate, no trees or bushes, every car on the interstate could see her car. Every car on the interstate, rest assured, was packing an Iphone. If a guy had tried an assault on this gal, there would have been fourteen calls to 911 in one minute. The cops would have been there in two minutes.

Now this gal had obviously been watching too many bad movies on the Lifetime channel.

But, times have changed when it comes to being a Good Samaritain on the road. Times have changed because everyone on the road has a damned Iphone.
Only when they are flat!
No, from what I've read on bumper stickers and have witnessed alongside the road, "It takes a village". It just so happens I don't travel with a village in tow.
Made daughter change one on her car, and do an oil change, before she got her learner's permit.
She's not afraid to tackle ANYTHING ! (She teaches at a high school, and shoots her cannon!)

My worst was changing a tire on a circle sprinkler system - that had just been running.
Amazing when people thing changing a tire is a feat.

The truck I'm in now has 28 tires on it... quad axle trailer truck with a pusher. Tires get changed, just the way she goes.
Are you freaking kidding?

That's what Mexicans are for.

Racist bastids dont want poor Mexicans to make a living?

Sheesh.
Originally Posted by pappabear
Only when they are flat!

Hahaha, winner, winner.....
Me and a good friend were cruising around one day drinking beer and across a median/ditch divided road was a girl struggling like hell in the hot sun to get the rear tire off an old Ford Granada. For some reason we thought it was rather humorous and were laughing so hard with the windows down she looked up and gave us this go to hell look. Well turns out it was my step sister so we made a u-turn at the next crossover and changed the tire.
Originally Posted by RIO7
If it's round and rubber, steel, or wood, big or little, truck, tractor, trailer, mower, motorcycle, car, solid or split rim, i have mounted, repaired, patched, plugged, more tires than i care to do over. Rio7

It's amazing how fast most ranchers can change a flat. It becomes second nature. Any time I ever took one with me in my truck hunting or checking cattle or water and got a flat and started trying to change it they told me to get out their way. They didnt need to say we needed to be on our way. grin
Originally Posted by dale06
I drove 20 miles of country roads in high school. Flat tires were common. I changed plenty, day and night.

How did you arrange that?
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by dale06

How did you arrange that?

Tires have gotten a hell of a lot better, along with the roads they roll on.
I used the spare tire to drop the engine of my VW on. Drag the tire out, replace clutch, pressure plate, and pilot bushing. And used the tire to hold up the engine, while I guided it back in place, on the side of the hwy. Does that count. I was on my way to work swing shift. Was three hours late because of the clutch. Two guys did stop and help while I was putting the engine back in. It helped most of the sheet metal behind the engine had been removed, when I did the baja conversion. We ran may pops when young, changed many tires.
Originally Posted by AZmark
Many a time and still would rather change a tire than a baby diaper! Tires dont make me gag.

Agreed.
Of course, but not that many. The last time I spent more time trying to find the jack and sort out the jack point and everything than I did changing the tire.
Originally Posted by pappabear
Only when they are flat!
If we count non-flat tires, I change 24 per year.

Summer/winter, winter/summer; on 3 vehicles.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I used to always pull over and help someone change a tire. I first noticed "a change" 20 years ago in South Dakota. Way out in the country I saw a car with a flat pulled over on an exit ramp. I pulled in behind them, and walked up to the car. Female driver and an adult male [can't call him a man, turned out he wasn't much of a man] in the passenger's seat. I knocked on the window. This guy wouldn't even look at me!

I said "Let's change your tire." You could tell the guy was scared of me.
And he said "We have called AAA for help. Please leave us alone."

No need for help from a stranger, this guy had a cell phone! Plus he was incapable of changing a tire. I thought they were a bunch of rugged cowboys and ranchers there in S. Dakota. Come to think of it, I think this car had Minnesota plates.

Just last week I was driving down I 26 near Asheville. The gal in front of me had a blowout, and she pulled over on an exit ramp. I pulled over behind her. I got out, gonna help her change the tire, and she saw me in her mirror, she rolled down her window 2 inches and she shreiked at me "WHAT DO YOU WANT!? PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE!!"

11 am, broad daylight, where she stopped was just 50 feet from the interstate, no trees or bushes, every car on the interstate could see her car. Every car on the interstate, rest assured, was packing an Iphone. If a guy had tried an assault on this gal, there would have been fourteen calls to 911 in one minute. The cops would have been there in two minutes.

Now this gal had obviously been watching too many bad movies on the Lifetime channel.

But, times have changed when it comes to being a Good Samaritain on the road. Times have changed because everyone on the road has a damned Iphone.

It'd help is ya didn't look like a axe murderer.
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Many. Survived all.

Even got the opportunity to teach younger less knowledgeable drivers how to change their flat tires. It's shocking how many young drivers don't know how to change a tire...

Made my son and daughter learn how to change a tire, change oil, and add water to hot radiator, before I let them get their drivers license. And, they took their driving test, with a state trooper, in a standard transmission truck.
I changed one in college 30 yrs ago, and just changed one for my daughter on the side of the highway 2 months ago. Hopefully I have another 30 year gap.
Posted By: EdM Re: Have you ever changed a tire? - 06/24/22
The last half dozen "flats" I had were me noticing a nail or screw in the tire. A couple needed to be aired up whereby I headed to where I bought the tire (Discount Tire or Walmart), let them pull it and fix it often for free.
I'm not as concerned about young kids who weren't taught how to change a flat.

I'm concerned about the ones who can't figure it out on their own. Seriously - about 6 minutes of reading the manual (glove box) or simply looking at it should get a reasonably IQ individual going. Might take longer but you'd be okay.

I don't remember being taught how - specifically but I do remember doing it, A LOT.
The ones that will make a preacher cuss are the Dodge car (and I guess trucks, but I have experience with the cars) with the left hand threaded lugs. I made sure it was REAL tight before I decided to take it off....
My worst: I was on a rutted single track road in the winter. I had the wheels on the center and one side to stay out of the deep frozen ruts. My fronts slid sideways into the ruts and a piece of ice sheared off a valve stem. The flat tire high centered my diff. It was too slick to back out with the tire flat. I had to put the jack under water and even when lifted, the bottom lug nuts were under water. At least I could rotate the tire. I didn't have any waterproof gloves and by the time I was out of it, my hands were completely numb. Man did they hurt when they started warming up!
I HIGHLY recommend keeping a pair of high top waterproof gloves in the car at all times.
When i started High School, I worked at a gas station every day after school, doing oil changes, pumping gas, and fixing tires, i liked fixing truck split rims, and car tires, it paid 50 cents, per tire, plus my 85 cents a hour regular pay, hell i was getting rich, i bought a 48 Ford pickup when i was 15 yrs old, a real pos, fixed it up and had a bed full of used tires, and tubes with patch's all over them, jack, block, 4-way, no tube less radials back then.
How many of you know how to do hot patch's on inter tubes? not many, didn't think so. Rio7
About 40 percent of new cars sold today do not come with a spare tire or a jack. Owners are expected to call for help on the Iphone.
Most of the young "men" today don't know how to change a tire.
Are you talking

Bicycle tire? ..... Yes
Car tire? ..... Yes
Pickup tire? ..... Yes

Why would you spray WD 40 on the the bolts?It just drys up and has no lubrication value.How ever a dab of anti -seize works very well.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Are you talking

Bicycle tire? ..... Yes
Car tire? ..... Yes
Pickup tire? ..... Yes

Why would you spray WD 40 on the the bolts?It just drys up and has no lubrication value.How ever a dab of anti -seize works very well.

You put a tire on an owner operators truck without anti-sieze, he will
kick your ass.

If he don't, he pays to have all his work done.
When i started High School, I worked at a gas station every day after school, doing oil changes, pumping gas, and fixing tires, i liked fixing truck split rims, and car tires, it paid 50 cents, per tire, plus my 85 cents a hour regular pay, hell i was getting rich, i bought a 48 Ford pickup when i was 15 yrs old, a real pos, fixed it up and had a bed full of used tires, and tubes with patch's all over them, jack, block, 4-way, no tube less radials back then.
How many of you know how to do hot patch's on inter tubes? not many, didn't think so. Rio7
I knew 2 guys who tangled with those split rims. One permanently lost the use of one arm, the other one died when his head was crushed on the shop ceiling. Working on one without a cage was pure stupidity.
Rockchuck, I have changed and repaired 100s of split rims, and you are right use a cage or lower the truck on them before airing them up and mounting them. and stand back. Rio7

Done a many of them, clamp it in that little clamp/vise light the match and watch it sizzle and hiss.
MANY, MANY, times. So many I carry a floor jack too.
Yes...thankfully all have been in daylight. My wife called me at work one day with a flat on her Camry at the time, when I had a break I met her and changed that tire and it was the easiest by far.

I've had to change at least one tire oil every truck I've owned with my current being a F250. The tires on my F250 are heavy and jack placement underneath is a bitch because of the control arms...

Hot patch. Where you clamp the patch to the tube and set it on fire. BTDT
Couldn't begin to count the tires I've changed. Worked for Sears auto center in college and then 10 years as a auto mechanic and then another 4 as a diesel mechanic in a rail yard.

In 1996 I messed up and had a split rim from a 45" reefer trailer come apart on me. The tire hammer I was using to break the wheels loose flew back and broke the fiberglass handle {splitting maul sized} across my right thigh. That stung a little. Luckily the wheel and tire missed me when it came flying by.
Many years ago on the way home from Elko, Nev. Before the interstate, in a wind sand storm at night on old highway 40, changed and repaired a split rim,hot patched the tube and put a boot in the tire, aired it up with a bike pump got it done, but damn near froze to death, took about 2 hours. not 1 car or truck passed. Rio7
35 years in the tire biz to date. I have pretty much done and seen it all from PLT to medium truck to Ag to Industrial to motorcycles/ATV. Been blown up more than a few times and almost killed when I got a split rim lock ring smack in the mouth back in the 80's. Ain't got much of a lower back to speak of anymore but I will still stop when I see someone struggling on the side of the road with a flat and do my best to help them learn what to do.
I have changed car/truck/trailer tires quite a bit over 58 years of driving. I don't much anymore, because tires are a lot better than they used to be and I'm not quite as adventurous as I used to be. Last tire I changed was a bicycle tire about two weeks ago. I've changed tires in some gawdawful situations. Blew two tires on one trip with a horse trailer (loaded with 2 horses) one day. No spare, but fortunately a dual axle trailer and only a few miles left to get home. Tied the horses out in the pasture by the roadside and did some swapping around, made it home on one axle. Horses didn't seem to mind.
Ive changed tires on everything from a bicycle to a log skidder. Im not talking about just taking a mounted flat tire off and putting an aired up spare tire on, Im talking about taking it off the wheel, repairing the leak, then putting it back on the wheel and back on the machine it came off of.
Changed it into what? 🤔 memtb
Originally Posted by memtb
Changed it into what? 🤔 memtb
Whatever it identifies as I guess... laugh
Today I really wish I had the tire machine and balancer I had back home. Put a nail through the sidewalk in a tire today. It was a 2 week old tire I had to replace. Hope I get better mileage this time...lol
Working in a tire store as a young man, yes mounted and balanced. Did a couple split rims and hated them. Changing out flats, too many tome to remember. Fire engines and ladder trucks were a lot of fun because we really didn't have any real professional tools to do it.
About forty years ago, 1977 Chevy blazer. Christmas eve on the way home from friends get together and church. Approximate 55 mile trip home, all country roads, about 20 miles from their house, I hit a chunk of metal in the road, blew rear tire. Got out jack and such to change, then discovered the spare was also flat. Had to walk up the road to a farm house to ask to use phone to call my friend for a portable air compressor. He had problems getting the compressor to work, but luckily found a tire on a rim that would fit on the Blazer. Got home about 2:30 in the morning. Yes that turned out to be a topic to be talked about for many Christmas's later.
In general, over my life time, I have changed many tires, that one was obviously the most memorable.
Posted By: G23 Re: Have you ever changed a tire? - 06/25/22
I grew up in a full service gas station (remember those) so yes, I've changed my share of tires. Most memorable one though happened on the way to a job interview. I was in a suit but still got it changed. I got the job too. Still have it after 23 years.

G23
About 40 percent of new cars sold today do not come with a spare tire or a jack. Owners are expected to call for help on the Iphone.
Most of the young "men" today don't know how to change a tire.

My son's wife had a flat on her car a couple weeks ago and found out the hard way there was no spare. They never thought about checking to see if there was a spare when they bought it. They just assumed it had one. All it had was a can of fix-a-flat and a small air compressor. My son did some research and found out that since there is so much pressure on increasing fuel mileage, some of the manufactures are doing everything to reduce weight. The spares and jacks are items they cut.
I changed a tire on a duality (inner tire in rear) on a spot that was uphill both ways in the snow.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I changed a tire on a duality (inner tire in rear) on a spot that was uphill both ways in the snow.
Have you seen duallies in the front?
🤣
🤣
Have you been to Cheatham County ? LOL
🤣
No.
🤣
No.
Then STFU LOL
Calm down Kaitlyn!

Sheesh!!
Calm down Kaitlyn!

Sheesh!!
Hold into the inner tube

SHEESH

Yes , on quite a variety of types.

I usually wouldn’t warn spectators ,long as they were out of the way. Many, many years ago though
Originally Posted by Lorne

I usually wouldn’t warn spectators ,long as they were out of the way. Many, many years ago though

I have seen it done, but never did it myself. Never had any lighter fluid where I had a flat.
I am about to contemplate doing a farm tire count.

This could take a minute but my nephew is here to do the math.
Bless you, Sam. I don't even WANT to know how many tires I have on the ground.
And even worse up at my brother's place! He's got the circles.
That's woman's work unless she's at work.

Then it's something I have the kids do.
Posted By: Ward Re: Have you ever changed a tire? - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by reivertom
I've been driving since 1973, so yeah. Tires were a different animal then. We put re-caps on our old truck, so you'd get plenty of practice through the years.
Changing tires was a given when you bought used recaps.😂.

Haven't changed a tire on the road except one off road a while back and not a single tire problem since I started carrying a small floor jack and battery powered impact wrench.
I changed my share of the fugging things! Stopped running caps on the drives shortly after this.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by Lorne

I have seen it done, but never did it myself. Never had any lighter fluid where I had a flat.

Starter fluid (eather) works too
🤣
Yes, but normally not on the freeway.

[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]
Alwaysoutdoors: Yes - probably more than a hundred times now.
One "changing" of a tire happened many years ago in an October blizzard on the State Highway 12 between Miles City and Baker, Montana right at the Powder River.
I was Hunting Antelope by myself and had harvested a Buck Antelope that morning before the BLIZZARD started and I was intent on getting to the "meat locker" in Miles City before they closed.
Anyway I had the VarmintMobile as far off onto the shoulder as I could get it with my emergency flashers on and was toiling away on the heavy 8 lug 3/4 ton wheels.
9 (nine!) vehicles passed me in the hour it took to get that flat tire changed - 7 (seven!) of those drivers stopped (in a blizzard!) to offer assistance to me!
That little incident was one of the reasons I decided to move to Montana.
I try to keep "good" tires on all my vehicles these days (in my old age).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Flats can still happen but having those good tires greatly reduces the odds. The TPMS also can help by telling you if you need air before you get in in an ugly place and find it's too flat to drive. Having an inexpensive inflator under the seat can make a big difference.
Another big favor you can do yourself is to look at the date code stamped on your tires. You ought not to be driving any tires over 8 years old. Don't forget to check the spare.
Another big favor you can do yourself is to look at the date code stamped on your tires. You ought not to be driving any tires over 8 years old. Don't forget to check the spare.
If you're towing a trailer with trailer tires, make that 5 years. Since they don't haul any passengers, they aren't made to hold up as long as truck tires. Instead of trailer tires, use LT tires. They work great on trailers and last twice as long.
Numerous times on cars and pickups. I once blew a tire on the rear tire of my Honda at seventy miles an hour. Now that will get your attention.
No, but have changed some light bulbs. Took a while to learn, as I cross threaded some, but have it down now.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by kenster99
No, but have changed some light bulbs. Took a while to learn, as I cross threaded some, but have it down now.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
LOL

Sweet truck. You did better than okay for not knowing how to change a tire…
Russian olive attack.

Stuck 4 new tires on the air drill.

Slow to fast leakers.

This quick fix lasted over 1200 acres. Still there in fact.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Is that spit?

Never mind....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Is that spit?

Never mind....

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
lol
Latest acquisition for an off road feed/stock trailer pickup.

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-40043-...compressor&qid=1656294640&sr=8-2
That is a funny question. Better would be if you have ever fixed A tire
We bought a tire machine in 1969.
Bet it doesn't do tractor tires
13.6x 38, and 18.4x 34 tractors, even fluid.
© 24hourcampfire