Home

Largest Burmese python ever captured in Florida weighs 215 pounds with over 100 developing eggs

NAPLES, Fla. - A team of biologists recently hauled in the heaviest Burmese python ever captured in Florida, officials said.

The female python weighed in at 215 pounds, was nearly 18 feet long, and had 122 developing eggs, the Conservancy of Southwest Florida said in a news release.

The team used radio transmitters transplanted in male "scout" snakes to study python movements, breeding behaviors, and habitat use, said Ian Bartoszek, wildlife biologist and environmental science project manager for the conservancy’s program.

"How do you find the needle in the haystack? You could use a magnet, and in a similar way our male scout snakes are attracted to the biggest females around," Bartoszek said.

The team used a scout snake named Dionysus — or Dion for short — in an area of the western Everglades.

"We knew he was there for a reason, and the team found him with the largest female we have seen to date."

RELATED: Registration opens for Florida Python Challenge, effort to protect Everglades: The cash prize you could win

Biologist Ian Easterling and intern Kyle Findley helped capture the female snake and haul it through the woods to the field truck.

A necropsy also found hoof cores in the snake’s digestive system, meaning that an adult white-tailed deer was its last meal.

National Geographic documented the discovery, highlighting the continued impact of the invasive pythons, which are known for rapid reproduction and depletion of surrounding native wildlife.

Bartoszek said removal of female pythons plays a critical role in disrupting the breeding cycle.

"This is the wildlife issue of our time for southern Florida," he said.

Since the conservancy’s python program began in 2013, they’ve removed over 1,000 pythons from approximately 100 square miles (25,900 hectares) in southwest Florida.

Over that stretch, necropsies have found dozens of white-tailed deer inside Burmese pythons. Data researchers at the University of Florida have documented 24 species of mammals, 47 species of birds and 2 reptile species from pythons’ stomachs.

Prior to the recent discovery, the largest female removed through the conservancy’s program weighed 185 pounds (84 kilograms) and was the heaviest python captured at the time in Florida, officials said.

The state’s python removal program runs for two weeks in August. Participants compete for prizes, including $2,500 for capturing the most pythons.

Last year’s challenge involved more than 600 people from 25 states.
That's a lot of boots.
Why do they catch them?

Always figured if I lived there there would be a short barreled single shot
shot gun slung on my back. Trap loads would make good snakes, fast.
With ones that damn big, might consider going with #6s.
Very good video. Bad problem to deal with for sure.
How do they kill them and before hauling them out I assume?
So, even snakes let the little head do most of the thinking, who knew?
Florida is so fugged up. What a disaster these snakes are.
Amazing that alligators can't even handle them.

PS Every time I spell out alligator, I get a flashback to my elementary school vocabulary list that I had to memorize for a spelling test. grin
[Linked Image from floridahikes.com]
Originally Posted by JeffA

Damn! eek laugh
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by skeen

Damn! eek laugh
Double damn!

“If I don’t get to Marlin in time, he will certainly be killed!” 😳😁
You guys down there can have ALL of my share of that. eek
I've watched some of those shows where they capture these snakes live and put them in a bag to take back to someone they are selling them to? For the life of me I can't figure out why they don't just shoot them on the spot to carry them out rather than wrestle with them . All I can figure out is it makes better television to see them risking their lives to capture these monsters... although watching some of those morons get bit a couple times is pretty humorous at times...

And why only a two week season if they truly want to get rid of them?
Clearly, south Florida needs a bigger infestation of wild hogs. Sure a snake that big could eat a wild hog or two, but my money would be against it ever getting big enough to be anything but a snake flavored licorice stick if there were enough hogs around.
Originally Posted by Sheister
I've watched some of those shows where they capture these snakes live and put them in a bag to take back to someone they are selling them to? For the life of me I can't figure out why they don't just shoot them on the spot to carry them out rather than wrestle with them . All I can figure out is it makes better television to see them risking their lives to capture these monsters... although watching some of those morons get bit a couple times is pretty humorous at times...

And why only a two week season if they truly want to get rid of them?

In teeveeland, it's all about optics. A man shooting a snake isn't "graphic" or exciting or risky. Teevee audiences want to be scared and exclaim "Ooooooo, look at that!" wink

L.W.
size:26pt]I HATE SNAKES![/size]
That makes the Texas snakes look small. Any data on movement west toward the Miss. delta?
Originally Posted by 1minute
That makes the Texas snakes look small. Any data on movement toward the Miss. delta?

Too cold?
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That makes the Texas snakes look small. Any data on movement toward the Miss. delta?

Too cold?

Heard they were showing up around Charlotte!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😉
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Too cold?

Heard they were showing up around Charlotte!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😉

I’ll tell the kids. They’ll be stoked!

Wearing flip-flops, shorts and a t-shirt. Standard hunting wear for all things lizard like in Florida. 😆

Did you try eating it?

🦫
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

At least it's not Minneapolis.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Clearly, south Florida needs a bigger infestation of wild hogs. Sure a snake that big could eat a wild hog or two, but my money would be against it ever getting big enough to be anything but a snake flavored licorice stick if there were enough hogs around.

The invasive snake population stayed in check due to the hog population for decades.

Then they decided to plant Texas Cougars in South Florida and the explosion of the Cougar population went ballistic to the point wild hogs are becoming rare beasts.

The Python population has flourished as a result.
Originally Posted by 358WCF

Or Portland.
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by 358WCF

Or Portland.
Miami ain't no prize.
Big mah fugger
Using a male "scout" snake to lead them to large females, that's cool!
Originally Posted by JoeBob

The invasive snake population stayed in check due to the hog population for decades.

Then they decided to plant Texas Cougars in South Florida and the explosion of the Cougar population went ballistic to the point wild hogs are becoming rare beasts.

The Python population has flourished as a result.

Yer a funny phuocer, where'd you dream all that up?
Hunting pigs south of I-75 around the Glades for the last 25 years.
Watched the population of hogs go from plentiful to all but non-existent while the Cat population became so plentiful that you see them every time you go out and their tracks are everywhere.

How much time do you put in down there Dan?
You can't call this schit normal.

This was 10 years ago in the Big Cypress, you'd never see a pig wander in like that now.

You can't even find a Racoon in that country now, but you find plenty of Cats and Pythons, it's all that's left.

Originally Posted by 270jrk
Using a male "scout" snake to lead them to large females, that's cool!
You'll think it's funny until someone jams a transponder up your butt to find women. 😂🤣😂
Florida is such an ecological chit show.

Iguanas, pythons, Mayan cichlids, plecostomous, lion fish...the list goes on and on.
Hunting pigs south of I-75 around the Glades for the last 25 years.
Watched the population of hogs go from plentiful to all but non-existent while the Cat population became so plentiful that you see them every time you go out and their tracks are everywhere.

How much time do you put in down there Dan?

Ballpark 20 years, but it was back before your tour. Have no use for hogs other than for targets. We’ve always had cats in Floriduh nothing new there. The snakes are a serious problem, but not the only problem.
I read that they found deer hooves in that big bastards stomach when they did the necropsy.

Florida needs a “shoot ‘em on sight” law.

A 10 ga semi-automatic would be preferable.
Those pet snakes being released by their owners isn't new either.

The Native Florida Cougars numbers were down to less than a couple dozen before they brought in Texas Cougars to replace them in 95 so they had little to no effect on the environment.

The invasive hog population flourished for decades while the invasive snake population stayed in check.

The Texas Cats took hold in the early 2000s and started increasing in numbers.
In 2006 Florida drafted up the aggressive 'Florida Panther Recovery Plan' and away things went.

The numbers of deer, hogs and most all small game in South Florida has dwindled to little of nothing since. Cats and cat sign can be seen most anywhere you step off the road South of Alligator Alley.

Coincidentally, directly or whatever makes one most comfy feeling the Python numbers exploded as the Hogs disappeared.

It's easy to see what's going on but ya gotta get out there, take a look around, we do.

This schit ain't normal.

The panther population is not important really. USFWS estimates around 200 in the state. We have a few up here in central Floriduh as well.
https://www.fws.gov/story/2022-04/florida-panther

You can thank U of Miami for the python problem along with Hurricane Andrew. I'm sure they eat hogs/deer/whatever. Think they would like liberals? Answer? Convince people they are good to eat, just like rattlebugs.

Ever see any kraits out in the swamps?
Lived in Mountain Lion country most all my life.
You have a hell of a lot more than a couple hundred of them around for people to be making videos in broad daylight of cats acting like that.
Oh. How many millions of people you got in your neighborhood?
Originally Posted by akasparky
Lived in Mountain Lion country most all my life.
You have a hell of a lot more than a couple hundred of them around for people to be making videos in broad daylight of cats acting like that.
This, we have them here in south Texas, have only seen a handful in the wild, but they are common here.
They been sticking to that couple hundred number for years now.
Whatever it takes to keep their 'save the panther' program alive.

It's a multi-million dollar industry cheerfully supported by tax payers that don't get off the roads to see what's happening.

They just catch occasional headlines and media releases and see it as some sorta noble gesture.

What we got is more like a infestation of cats and snakes.

Those pigs were the only predator that feasted on those huge snakes.

The only predator the cats have is other cats which happens to be the leading cause of death for them today here, over population leads to more territorial fighting.
It does appear there is a ridiculous population of Cats down there.
Plenty enough to decimated wildlife populations.

They are really not all that suitable as backyard pets.
Youtube is loaded with these videos.

This one is really special..quick kill of the family puddy cat.

This is what you end up with when they overpopulate, disease sets in and it can kill them all.

That makes the Texas snakes look small. Any data on movement west toward the Miss. delta?

Florida has the perfect environment for these snakes - warm, jungle and swamps.

They'll follow right behind the Cats as they clear the Hogs out of the way until they get far enough North for the weather to be unsuitable for them.

F&G isn't going to slow them down with their stupid ideas.

How long is it gonna until the snakes take out them poor dogs?
Originally Posted by akasparky
This one is really special..quick kill of the family puddy cat.

This is what you end up with when they overpopulate, disease sets in and it can kill them all.

Those two videos could have much to do with each other.

The Panthers lack of food has pushed them into residential areas where their feeding on domestic cats has become so common its introduced Feline Leukemia to the Florida Cougar population.

Feline Leukemia is sorta like AIDs for cats, it weakens their immune systems making them more susceptible to any disease that happens to come along.
It also causes neurological disorders.

The Feline Leukemia alone is the leading cause of death in cats, killing 85% of persistently infected felines within three years of diagnosis. The virus commonly causes anemia or lymphoma, but because it suppresses the immune system, it can also predispose cats to deadly infections.

Florida F&G is trapping and vaccinating as many Cougars as they can.
Just another money funnel destined to fail.
They been sticking to that couple hundred number for years now.
Whatever it takes to keep their 'save the panther' program alive.

It's a multi-million dollar industry cheerfully supported by tax payers that don't get off the roads to see what's happening.

They just catch occasional headlines and media releases and see it as some sorta noble gesture.

What we got is more like a infestation of cats and snakes.

Those pigs were the only predator that feasted on those huge snakes.

The only predator the cats have is other cats which happens to be the leading cause of death for them today here, over population leads to more territorial fighting.
A few years ago I was headed south from San Antonio and saw a huge tom that had been hit by a car on the side of the highway, about 35 miles later was like damn I want that skull so turned around. When I got back there someone beat me to it.
You gotta be quick, probably shattered anyway.
If their management practices ends up killing off the Cougars maybe some young and upcoming biologists will come up with a great idea, like reintroducing feral pigs to South Florida to reduce the out of control Python population.

Then you'll have made full circle and we can keep on going round and round.
© 24hourcampfire