Home
Posted By: shrapnel Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
Down here on the Little Bighorn, celebrating the 146th anniversary of the Custer battle in Eastern Montana, Custer lost it again.

Maybe next year…
Posted By: dassa Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
You'd think one of these years he'd try a different strategy.
Posted By: viking Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
Man, I really want to go tour that place. I’m only 3-4 hours away.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by viking

It’s worth the drive, I do it several times a year. Maybe we could meet there and have an Indian Taco at the trading post…
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
That's too bad. Heard they had a good team this year.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
146th.

Only four years to the 150th.

That’s gonna be a party.
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22

I drove from Virginia and was glad I made the trip. It was very interesting to see for myself, where and how the events played out.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
Reno...must've not have brought the packs...
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
LOL….
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
Low Dog approves.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
146th.

That’s gonna be a party.

147th, they lost the first year too…
Posted By: ipopum Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
I though Benteen had the packs.Reno was getting shot up down on the river.
Posted By: ribka Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It’s worth the drive, I do it several times a year. Maybe we could meet there and have an Indian Taco at the trading post…

Some beautiful country on the Crow Rez on the Wyoming border near there. I was talking to crow guide and he advised the Crows still liked and respected Custer.
Originally Posted by ribka

Some beautiful country on the Crow Rez on the Wyoming border near there. I was talking to crow guide and he advised the Crows still liked and respected Custer.

The Crow were scouts for Custer. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and Custer was after the Sioux and Cheyenne, enemies of the Crow…
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
Shrapnel: Been there many times (10?) always enjoyed the oft changing presentations and facilities.
Was there with a Hunting partner a couple years ago and he opted to go on the then new "Indian Bus Tour" that lone infidels could not partake of without payment.
Anyway he paid the $10.00 and went on the hour tour and got the "Indian perspective" and thought it was so-so but was brimming with "chipontheirshoulder-itis".
Last time I was there I had to fetch a park ranger as a Rattlesnake had curled up under the lip of a rear door on the cement walkway and children were in the area.
The park ranger (or whatever they are?) got a 5 gallon bucket and a rake and scooped the Rattler up and into the bucket and walked it down the hill about a hundred yards and tipped the bucket over!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
Leave it to me to be the one with the weird opinion. The Injuns that fateful day were just doin' what anyone does, fight to win. The Army was f...ked before they ever left town. By who you axe? By the dirty politics of the bureaucracy-good old boy crowd of Springfield Armory, insisting on the continued use of an obsolete military weapon and even worse ammunition known to be totally unuseable after ten rounds on a hot day. Sharps, Spencers, Remingtons, Peabodys...exported to Europe by the thousands. A proud day for the Army procurement program and arsenal, 210 blue coated bodies, but by God we saved a lot of money with the trapdoors.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/25/22
This time Custer tried to cheat by using M16's but the Indians switched to expanding broadheads and chewed them apart.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
I'm going to see that Team Blue is issued falling-block 6.5 Creeds for next year, conditional on Custer putting his yellow hair up into a man-bun.
Posted By: Osky Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
I was poking around in that country 3 weeks ago per some things that sharp.. said. Good time, interesting things found. Very interesting when you visit the Horn.
I would highly endorse anyone to visit.

Osky
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22

15 hours and 13 minutes for me, doubt I’ll drop by.
Posted By: ribka Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
yep. The crows still hold a big grudge for the Sioux and Cheyenne .

The Crow were scouts for Custer. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and Custer was after the Sioux and Cheyenne, enemies of the Crow…
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This time Custer tried to cheat by using M16's but the Indians switched to expanding broadheads and chewed them apart.

The biggest innovation to help Custer would have been a walkie-talkie…
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22

I’d put my money on heavy artillery, or a few A-10s.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Leave it to me to be the one with the weird opinion. The Injuns that fateful day were just doin' what anyone does, fight to win. The Army was f...ked before they ever left town. By who you axe? By the dirty politics of the bureaucracy-good old boy crowd of Springfield Armory, insisting on the continued use of an obsolete military weapon and even worse ammunition known to be totally unuseable after ten rounds on a hot day. Sharps, Spencers, Remingtons, Peabodys...exported to Europe by the thousands. A proud day for the Army procurement program and arsenal, 210 blue coated bodies, but by God we saved a lot of money with the trapdoors.

That isn’t weird, just misinformed….
Posted By: deflave Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22

And idiotic.
Posted By: ERK Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
The Chipawah here call the Souix (dog eaters). No love there.lol. Edk
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
I would have chose AR’s or drones over walkie-talkies but walkie-talkies would have helped a lot no doubt. Either probably would have won the battle for him.
Posted By: WMR Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by dassa
You'd think one of these years he'd try a different strategy.

Attack without mercy? Surely that would work!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
146th.

That’s gonna be a party.

Ain’t gonna criticize. Folks was refighting the Alamo every year out front on the plaza until it was realized the little Alamo sprinkles raining down from the inside of the church with the concussion from each cannon blast prob’ly wouldn’t spontaneously regenerate.

We were always losing anyhow. We still do get to lose and be massacred at Goliad.
Posted By: Osky Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I’d put my money on heavy artillery, or a few A-10s.

Actually Custer himself would have done best with some Kevlar.

Osky
146th.

That’s gonna be a party.

Ain’t gonna criticize. Folks was refighting the Alamo every year out front on the plaza until it was realized the little Alamo sprinkles raining down from the inside of the church with the concussion from each cannon blast prob’ly wouldn’t spontaneously regenerate.

We were always losing anyhow. We still do get to lose and be massacred at Goliad.

Hopefully you don’t teach Math, you missed by a battle…
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by deflave

And idiotic.
DeFlate, (historian, sociologist, arms expert, psychologist, epidemiologist, infectious disease expert, sage, economic advisor, prophet, author of a 100,000 informative and enlightening posts) Thank you for setting me straight. Just think of the mayhem the 139 British soldiers at Rorkes Drift could have caused the 4,500 Zulu ....had they only been armed with trapdoors instead of those pathetic Martini-Henry's (modified Peabody 1866).
1876 +150 = 2026

2026 - 2022 = 4
1876 +150 =2026 +1 for 1876

2026 - 2022 = 4

Keep trying, you forget to count the first battle of 1876, you need to quit trying, you are and will continue to be wrong with your new math.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I would have chose AR’s or drones over walkie-talkies but walkie-talkies would have helped a lot no doubt. Either probably would have won the battle for him.

Even currently obsolete M1 Garands would have turned the tide of battle.

Just Sayin. wink
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
146th.

That’s gonna be a party.

Down here on the Little Bighorn, celebrating the 146th anniversary of the Custer battle in Eastern Montana, Custer lost it again.

Maybe next year…

Nice time of year for a battle regardless.
Posted By: WAM Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
I was there 2 weeks ago. One thing that amazed me was the low numbers of Indians allegedly killed. One would think that soldiers would have taken out at least 1 or 2 warriors each. Unless they dragged the bodies off like the VC and NVA.
1876 +150 =2026 +1 for 1876

2026 - 2022 = 4

Keep trying, you forget to count the first battle of 1876, you need to quit trying, you are and will continue to be wrong with your new math.

Got it, riding in on that fateful day 6/25/1876, Custer says “Look at all those fuggin’ Indians, and it’s only the first anniversary!”

When you get there in 2025, don’t unpack the ice chest just yet....
Posted By: viking Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by WAM
I was there 2 weeks ago. One thing that amazed me was the low numbers of Indians allegedly killed. One would think that soldiers would have taken out at least 1 or 2 warriors each. Unless they dragged the bodies off like the VC and NVA.

Someone posted on the LBH battle awhile back when this subject came up. I can’t remember who but maybe it was Shrapnel.

The posters said something to the effect about the military did very little target practice account of the cost, something like 20 rounds a year.. But what he pointed out was the lack of fire control. Literally shooting over their heads with the 45-70’s rainbow tragectory.

Maybe it happened like that, maybe it didn’t.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
what Custer should have done the day before the battle was send the Indians at least 6- 8 wagon loads of barrels of whiskey .
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
^^^He,he, these are the little nuggets of history that should be in the history books...but never made it. Hudson's Bay Company conquered Canada, seldom a shot fired, with the demon rum.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
yep. The crows still hold a big grudge for the Sioux and Cheyenne .

And non natives.......can't forget that.
Posted By: g5m Re: Custer Lost Again - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That's too bad. Heard they had a good team this year.

They did, but just like that old 'Twilight Zone' episode, they left the machine guns at home again.
© 24hourcampfire