Home
Posted By: LJBass Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
The last combine I owned was a John Deere 95. It was a decent enough combine for what I need, but you couldnt get parts. If you guys had the urge to cut some grass seed on the stump. What combine would you be looking at? Maybe something built in the 80's would still be serviceable.
Needs to be small enough to fit through 16ft gates.
Capable of grass seed.
Only plan to do 40-200 acres a year.
Probably JD or Gleaner, just for parts availability.
Bonus points if it's a pull type. Never been around 1, but my tractor is reliable and it seems like 1 less engine, battery, and tires to worry about.

Just throw some ideas out, I'll look for examples on tractorhouse.

First thoughts were JD 4400 or Gleaner F. Lots of those runnig the fescue fields when I was a pup.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
Those are good, Maybe an IH 715
Posted By: dale06 Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
Didn’t know pull types were made anymore
Posted By: LJBass Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
Newest 1 I've seen was probably a 80's model IH... it was being pulled by an 86 series IH tractor, so same Era. Pull type probably isn't feasible.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
I would advise you not to get one of these:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ERK Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
Lol. I had one like that up above. Edk
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
John Deere is the worst for getting parts, why is that?
Posted By: LJBass Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
Originally Posted by rickt300
John Deere is the worst for getting parts, why is that?
I wouldn't say that. It's just that the 45-55-95-105 series and the old pull type 30s, really most of the ones I've been around were built in the 50s or 60s... it's an obsolete problem, not a JD problem. Not like people are restoring these and cruising them in parades.

Those old JD 30s had a 5 ft cutter bar. They would look like a June bug next to a new combine.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/26/22
The guys that around here that combined the grass seeds always said that JD combines were the worst for doing that. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the way the threshing mechanisms were designed. Massey and Gleaners were okay.

As far as a dependable machine, those JD 4400's were among the best.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/27/22
Going to bump this for the western crowd. Might start calling around to dealers tomorrow, ask the parts counter what they think.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/27/22
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The guys that around here that combined the grass seeds always said that JD combines were the worst for doing that. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with the way the threshing mechanisms were designed. Massey and Gleaners were okay.

As far as a dependable machine, those JD 4400's were among the best.
A lot of them did not like the rotary throat design. For fescue seed purpose. But I think there was more to it than that how the rotary throat was designed and other stuff that I really don't know. The old gleaners is all I ever used for fescue. Most complaints were with the early John Deere rotary throats. I have neighbors that use newer big deers and don't complain about it and new gleaners. The generation of like the 4400s to like the 4420s is what I hear the most complaints about
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/27/22
My buddy said they used John Deere conventionals over in Oregon for grass seed.
Posted By: viking Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/27/22
F2
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/27/22
All I know about combines is that I do not want to own one and that old time conventional combines make for way better straw bales.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/27/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
All I know about combines is that I do not want to own one and that old time conventional combines make for way better straw bales.
Now there is something that I hadn't even considered, that point weighs in on my bullshit operation.

I'm thinking the Gleaner F2 and JD 4420 might be the sweet spot for reasonable size, parts, something I can work on.

That gives me a good place to start. I got to hatching this plan a couple weeks ago. Seems everyone that knows anything about combining fescue is dead. Used to be big business here before it all went to Oregon.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Attn: Dirt Farmers. - 06/27/22
I never drove but one Gleaner, and that was back in the late 70's, cutting soybeans. I am 6'4" and weighed around 200 lbs at that time. Not much elbow room in the cab. miles
© 24hourcampfire