Home
Back in the 1970s a dog breeder who loved English Bulldogs, but regretted what the dog show establishment had done to the breed in terms of reducing their functionality and overall health, not to mention distorting their original appearance, decided to attempt to reproduce the English Bulldog of the late 19th Century. One of my dogs is a product of that effort, and I think he got pretty close.

This was the English Bulldog type he was going for (picture taken in the late 19th Century):

[Linked Image]

Here are a couple of pictures of my dog.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
He is a fine looking animal. I love the brindle.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
smile

He has a well beaten path along that fence!
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
smile

LOL. Yep.
Posted By: woodson Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Good looking animal.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
That's a good looking hound.

Some friends of my parents had one, Oscar was his name. I dunno what they fed him, but he was a prolific farter. His emissions literally permeated their entire house regularly. He was a good ol dog, though.
Becoming trendy is the death knell for any dog breed. It’s gotten so bad that veterinarians are specifically telling people not to buy English bulldogs because of the multitude of health problems.

You’ve got a good looking bullie.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Same thing happened with pitt bulls. The working pitt bull of my youth has very little resemblance with what's called a pitt bull today.
Posted By: joken2 Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
If that's what is now called a "Old English Bulldogge" a neighbor got one of those after having had one of the typical English bulldogs prior that developed health issues that eventually led to it's death while still a relatively young dog.

They said they went with the "Old English Bulldogge" on the next pup because they were supposed to not have the propensity to develop as many health issues common to the typical English bulldog breed.
Posted By: joken2 Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Originally Posted by RiverRider
That's a good looking hound.

Some friends of my parents had one, Oscar was his name. I dunno what they fed him, but he was a prolific farter. His emissions literally permeated their entire house regularly. He was a good ol dog, though.

Farting and snoring both is common in most of the 'mashed nose' dog breeds, regardless what they are fed.
Posted By: slumlord Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
I can pull some strings, and send Kahnerella over there weed eat that fenceline 😂👏🏻
Posted By: SandBilly Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Hey, thems green onions…
Posted By: Robb10238 Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Now that is a hood looking dog! Much better than the short stubby little sausages breeders go for today.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
smile

LOL. Yep.

On duty.

Lol.

😂
Posted By: local_dirt Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Becoming trendy is the death knell for any dog breed. It’s gotten so bad that veterinarians are specifically telling people not to buy English bulldogs because of the multitude of health problems.

You’ve got a good looking bullie.

Frenchies are having the same problems. It's a shame.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Good lookin dog. It even looks more functional with the longer legs
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Good lookin dog. It even looks more functional with the longer legs
Kinda like this.

[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com]
My daughter has one of each. The old english is a running, jumping athlete.

At six years of age, the short legged english has had about six surgeries to keep him alive and kicking. All he is good for, is to lay around the house, eat, fart, and schitt.

But he does beg for attention, and doggy treats. He loves everybody.
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
AKC has ruined several breeds.
On one of my first trips to England to visit a friend he took me to his parents house about an hour East of Manchester. His dad was breeding and raising original English Bulldogs. He too didn’t like what the breed had become and was only interested in preserving the Old World Bulldogs.

You have some good looking animals TRH, I’m sure they’re as lucky to have you as you them. 👍
Most people don't realize this, but there are modern dog breeds that had actually disappeared before the end of WWI, but were restored in the years after the war. After WWI, for example, breeders literally couldn't find a single pure specimen of the English Mastiff. There were no breeders who maintained them during the war. They had to actually go back to the drawing board, do a little mixing here and there with the Mastiff mixes they could locate, and recreate the breed.

Same with the Irish Wolfhound. It had completely disappeared by the middle 19th century. Only some mixes of it with other breeds were still known to exist. Breeders took those mixes, added in some other similar purebred dogs (to include Russian Wolfhounds and Giant Schnauzers), and eventually got a breed that looked like the old paintings of the Irish Wolfhound.
Posted By: MtnHiker Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Nice looking dog. Wife wanted an stumpy english and I said no. We got a boxer instead. Similar to yours in the sense taller and athletic. These short little blobs the breaders are cranki g out are not healthy and fairly useless.
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
Nice looking dog. Wife wanted an stumpy english and I said no. We got a boxer instead. Similar to yours in the sense taller and athletic. These short little blobs the breaders are cranki g out are not healthy and fairly useless.
Agreed. It's actually cruel to breed AKC English Bulldogs. They are almost destined to have all sorts of medical issues connected to breeding for short squatty bodies and faces.
Posted By: JPro Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
My sister is a vet tech and has a lot to say about some of the dog breeding trends these days and all the surgeries they have to do. At the end of the day, function is more important that form, which dooms some of these novelty breeds with their built-in health problems. The OP's pup looks like a cool example of a breed that makes some sense.
He's an amazingly powerful dog, considering he only weight 70 pounds, but he's a very compact 70 pounds. I'm convinced he could break a grown man's legs if he charged into him. You can really feel the power in his body by trying to play tug of war with him.
Posted By: luvrifles Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Nice looking dog TRH. I can see how my boxer got his appearance. They are a descendent of the OEB.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Impressive animal, no question. Still a scary looking mofo.

🦫
Originally Posted by luvrifles
Nice looking dog TRH. I can see how my boxer got his appearance. They are a descendent of the OEB.
Yes, there is a theory that the German Boxer is simply the English Bulldog that was imported into Germany a couple of hundred years ago, or perhaps a mix of those with a native German breed of mastiff.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Impressive animal, no question. Still a scary looking mofo.

🦫
They are very effective at crime deterrence for that reason.
I like bulldogs. He's a handsome boy.
Posted By: JPro Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
70lbs of stocky dog is still a heck of a lot of dog. I'd not want to wrestle one.

In my opinion, the following two look like dogs that are capable of living a normal and healthy life, being the product of sensible breeding of various bully-breed selections. Square-headed and strong, but athletic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These two look like they'd be lucky to make it to 50 in dog-years without a lot of vet visits.

Posted By: luvrifles Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Yes, there is a theory that the German Boxer is simply the English Bulldog that was imported into Germany a couple of hundred years ago, or perhaps a mix of those with a native German breed of mastiff.
From what I can find, they are a mix of the OEB and the German bullenbieser. The latter breed is now extinct.
From what I can find, they are a mix of the OEB and the German bullenbieser. The latter breed is now extinct.
Yep. That's the native German mastiff I was talking about.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Good looking dog, TRH.

He looks like a badass that would keep ne'er do wells at bay while we are at work.

How is his overall temperament towards people? Kids?
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Good looking dog, TRH.

He looks like a badass that would keep ne'er do wells at bay while we are at work.

How is his overall temperament towards people? Kids?
He's actually friendly to people I introduce him to. He will bark at those who approach the fence, though.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
AKC has ruined several breeds.
Mike, AKC may not have helped, but generally the Breed Club sets the standard and AKC enforces it at their sanctioned events. The breed club can even change the standard if it gets the votes to do so. Recently accepted by AKC breeds already have standards in force when allowed to compete in AKC events.

https://breedingbusiness.com/who-creates-dog-breed-standards/

What likely screws up breeds the most are the damn judges. Nearly every Best in Breed whippet at the shows we've attended is a white and brindle, hardly ever a tuxedo (black and white) or a fawn dog or bitch. And they for some reason tend to like them "pretty", for lack of a better term. It's mostly easy to tell whippets that come from racing/working stock against pure show dogs. Those are generalities of course, but I've seen it hold true in other breeds too. And, competitive show breeders are a copycat bunch, as you likely know. If a dog wins a lot of shows, ends up doing well at the Westminster and such, other breeders will try to get the traits they think won into their lines.

The breeders/judges combo has screwed up a couple of breeds for sure. Poodles from hunting lines are pretty cool dogs. Poodles from a long line of show dogs might hunt a Scooby snack, but likely be afraid of a wild duck!
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
TRH,

I love your dog!
Originally Posted by Valsdad
TRH,

I love your dog!
Thanks.
Yo, G.

What likely screws up breeds the most are the damn judges.

Absolutely. Same for horses in halter and for a while, western pleasure “peanut rollers”.
I’m confused here. I thought Pits were on the 24HCF hate list?
😏
Posted By: saddlering Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/29/22
Great looking bull doggy!, I got the best next thing, Boston Terrier! Mines just a year old, his daddy was about 20" wide at the shoulder's, looks like the dog that started the Boston's breed. Jed has a white chest and neck, rest black and brindle.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/30/22
😏
They are

Unless they identify as Conservative Trump Lovers.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
😏
They are

Unless they identify as Conservative Trump Lovers.

Difference between a pit bull and an English bull.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/30/22
Yo, G.

What likely screws up breeds the most are the damn judges.

Absolutely. Same for horses in halter and for a while, western pleasure “peanut rollers”.

They seem to get it in their mind what "they think" a dog of a certain breed should look like. Not sure how it is in the horse rings, but in the dog rings a judge might be very experienced with half of the breeds they're judging, somewhat experienced with the rest. They may be judging most of a group at some shows, as it's hard for smaller shows to attract enough judges at time, or so those dog people have told me.

When I found out those shows are supposed to be for bettering the breed I thought to myself "Well, what happened to the Irish Setter and some of the terriers".

I had a friend in Juneau when I was up there, raised a terrier breed, did a breeding whenever she needed to replace an older dog.. Mentioned one day that judges have the right to have the dog on the table while someone brings up another dog to see what the reaction is. They're not supposed to be friendly to other critters, they're terriers after all. But, she said it rarely happens. There should be some sort of test, long before they reach the rings in my mind, of will a hunting breed retrieve, or point, or do what it was intended to do, and if it fails then it doesn't get to progress until it can.

Oh well, I've never been too impressed with judges of any sort......................unless I win!
As a child I was traumatized by a neighbors bulldog. It was a nasty mean thing that bit several people. The neighbors eventually moved away and took the dog with them. One of the best days of my young life.
Originally Posted by saddlering
Great looking bull doggy!, I got the best next thing, Boston Terrier! Mines just a year old, his daddy was about 20" wide at the shoulder's, looks like the dog that started the Boston's breed. Jed has a white chest and neck, rest black and brindle.
It's surprising how big some Bostons can be. Someone in my neighborhood a few years ago had one that looked like a smallish, athletic, Bulldog. They can be really cool looking little dogs.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: The Old English Bulldog - 06/30/22
Valsdad, I learned at a early age don't compete in judged events, only timed events, the timers don't cheat and lie. Rio7
© 24hourcampfire