Home
Posted By: tikkanut Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
For example......

toilets with similar specs....1.2 gallon flush....high & enlongated seat etc

Home Depot 'Glacier Bay' for $100 or Kohler for $250

Ya get what ya pay for ?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier...te-Seat-Included-N2316/100676582#overlay
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
Ive bought American Standard Titans recently for a few bathroom remodel projects. They say the Titan will flush two dozen golf balls. I don't plan to eat any golf balls but at least I know I can move them down the line if I do...
Posted By: ERK Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
You know what you do with a toilet right? It is not a fashion statement. Your gonna poop in it.
The cheapest one from Menards flushes perfectly. Edk
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
I want one that doesn’t skimp on water and that allow more than a few sheets of paper and a decent log to pass through. The water saving one that I have now was a bad purchase.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
We have 4 cheap terlets in our house.

We purchased them in 1998 when we built.

Nary a one of them has spit a turd back at us.

Seems like they were around $50ea
Posted By: BLG Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
Get the one with the most horse power per flush. Water saving anything is a waste of time and resources.

Clyde
Posted By: EdM Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
Our four Toto's use little water yet have never backed up. They are a bit pricey though.
Most places let you try ‘em out first
Originally Posted by tikkanut
For example......

Ya get what ya pay for ?

Get the ADA handicap model elongated (if it will fit in the space) of any variety you like.

I have flipped a lot of houses... the extra height is always a bonus.

Glacier Bay is cheap because of the plastic "hardware"... but they work fine.

Some clients (women mostly) DEMAND a $1,500 Kohler...

OK... more profit/markup.

Premium wax ring if you are new to setting a toilet... or use two.
I put a Niagra in this spring 1/3 the price of a Koholer.If you are on a well, don't put a power flush in if you tend to get a little sand.
We have one AS champion and a high dollar Kohler, the champion has not had a clog yet, around 8 yrs. The new Kohler not so much. It can't deal with all the paper the ladies waste.
The AS does go through flush seals, the chlorine eats them. Got a after market one in it now. Only takes a minute to replace it.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
tikkanut;
Top of the morning sir, I trust the you're getting decent weather down in Utah and you're well.

While I am not an expert on toilets, our eldest worked for a couple years in a shop which sold higher end lighting and plumbing fixtures, so with that in mind here goes.

If you have lower water pressure and depending upon what's all getting flushed down the toilet, getting one with a glazed trap usually makes for a smoother flow. Some trap designs are better than others for sure, but even a higher end Toto with a non-glazed trap will give more issues than a less expensive toilet with a glazed trap.

Some of the ones set up for two flush levels work well and some don't. That changes from year to year though as models change, so hopefully you can find honest salespeople who actually know.

If you're on a water meter or if you're in a water stressed area like we are, it might make sense to get a toilet with a reduced flow flush option.

There are brands which give way, WAY less trouble in general than others though as that's what the tradespeople would tell our daughter. They'd install whatever the client/customer wanted, but not in their own houses.

Hope that made sense and was useful to you or someone out there.

Dwayne
They come in different heights. I'd get the tallest one you can. It's easier for older people to get on ana off of. Kohler makes a less expensive line. I'm not a plumber so I can't attest to what you get for the price. I just know if you get one of those little (old) round bowel toilets that sits about 12" of the floor God will punish you.
Elger's?
Cheap ones work fine.
I've replaced two of the three in the house with 100-dollar ones, one taller one for my dad.
Taller ones are best !

Gotta laugh when I see the ole short round ones
Posted By: joken2 Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
Originally Posted by tikkanut
For example......

Ya get what ya pay for ?

Have a tall elongated 'budget' toilet just like the one in your link in one bathroom and it works as well as any. It doesn't refill the bowl with water as high as I think it should but it flushes and cleans good so no big deal. The storage tank fills up almost to the top so there's no more adjusting to increase bowl water level there.
We have one Kohler and one Glacier Bay. They both work but the Kohler seems to have a better "quality" flush. In a perfect world I'd like one like I had at work. It used compressed air to assist the flush. NOTHING clogged that toilet.
Posted By: elkmtb Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
I want ones like the big office buildings have that sound like an jet afterburner going off.

I had a 5 year old nephew that would put to shame a dozen golf balls. Like a 12 foot rat snake curled up in there.
Yep, we are all getting older every day. If you do not put in the 18 to 20 inch toilet now, you will be replacing it as old Arty works on the knees and hips.
Posted By: hanco Re: Toilets ? Cheap $100 or ?? - 06/30/22
Buy the Kohler
Purchasing products to complete your home, you should never buy cheap.
You don't have to purchase a Rolls Royce, figuratively speaking, but you don't want a '64 Ford Falcon either!
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Originally Posted by hillestadj
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

O

M

G
© 24hourcampfire