Home
Posted By: wabigoon Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I just got word Bill died. Bil was without a doubt our class clown, perhaps the world's best.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Had a couple die from accidents from shortly after graduation, a couple suicides, a couple from long standing congenital medical issues, at least one overdose, and one murder that I know of. First one I knew of that died of a sudden medical issue (heart attack) I responded to. I knew he lived in the city but it occurred in a neighborhood I wouldn't expect him to be.

That was uncomfortable as it was just before a school honor ceremony that I had to attend as many asked questions that I couldn't or wasn't allowed to answer. It was also of something that is becoming a concern as I grow older. The others weren't any problem as they occurred far away from me, I wasn't close to them, wasn't unexpected, or I heard long enough afterward that it was more of an afterthought than real.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I, for one, am not a young man.

I thank The Good Lord for every breath I take.
Posted By: blanket Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Sorry for your loss, we are 25% down
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Thoughts?, if you say he’s dead I’ll take your word for it.
First on I remember losing was about age 15.
May Bill RIP.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by blanket
Sorry for your loss, we are 25% down

How do you know they didnt go up? shocked
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I made my 50th birthday this year. This means that I KNOW that every day from here on out, is Down Hill. Many of my friends and acquaintances from HS are gone. Some are in prison. For reasons only known to my Creator, I am still here. I am thankful.
You''ll have to PM , for my number in the morning, "Hey, Sanders, turn up the clock" laugh
Posted By: blanket Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Loss not up or down.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Lost 2 of my close friends from High school.

The first was from cancer and the last by a heart problem while in surgery.

Sucks for sure.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I've had 3 former girlfriends die, all 50's to mid 60's. 2 were from C & 1 was kidney failure (possibly because of extreme weight gain since I dated her in college).
On a lighter note.
Posted By: Krazi Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
65 here. Had a good buddy die in May. One year older then me. The day of his funeral I bought a new tractor. Been looking at them for two years. That got me off the fence.
Posted By: hanco Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
42 in my class in 1971. 12 dead
Have my 35 year HS reunion coming up in 2 weeks. 27 are no longer with us. Class size of 112. Sad.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Out of nearly 200 kids I graduated high school with

I know where 2 are

The rest…even with FaceyBook and whatnot, have no idea alive or dead or where, nor care where they be scattered.

A couple years back, some good year blimp walked up to me in Rural King, looking like a 70 year old woman. Asked me if I remembered her from high school. WTF no.

Sorry about your friend Bill.
We are having a reunion on Sept 10. 70, 71, 73 classes. Eager to see these people. Saw some when we had a football team reunion last October. Some I didn’t recognize.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I just got word Bill died. Bil was without a doubt our class clown, perhaps the world's best.

Any thoughts?

Yeah??? Well, who got the last laugh???

Sorry, couldn’t resist…
Sorry Bill passed!
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Very sorry about your buddy.

I just attended a service tonight for a fraternity brother. He was a very nice guy with a lot of potential but struggled terribly with alcoholism. He got a divorce many years ago and always struggled to keep a job even though he was a talented coder capable of earning $150k/yr. For whatever reason, he just couldn't do what he needed to do to get and stay sober. He had plenty of people and resources available to him but would just never surrender until this week when he decided to shoot himself. VERY sad for the two kids he left behind and his Mom. His x-wife passed away a couple years ago (also tragic circumstances) so now his two kids are left with no parents and have to live with more grief and emptiness than a person should ever have to put up with.

I know there are a lot of guys who like to partake on this board and that's a-ok but, if you have a problem, I sure hope you can be honest with yourself and get help instead of trying to whip it on your own because that rarely works.....
Posted By: TCK Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
This is one of the saddest situations I know.
Two mothers of my classmates have buried their husbands, and children.
Both ladies are still living, in their 90's and closest relative is a grandchild or in law.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I remember hearing that Patty Bolen was killed in a car wreck about 2 months after HS graduation.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
My 50th class reunion is here this July. I didn’t like school much and most of the kids even less. I won’t be going to the reunion, I have no idea how many are dead, never really thought much about it…
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel
My 50th class reunion is here this July. I didn’t like school much and most of the kids even less. I won’t be going to the reunion, I have no idea how many are dead, never really thought much about it…

Thats kinda sad.
Posted By: EdM Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Thats kinda sad.

I am with Shrapnel. I left for a different life that agreed upon us to become distant. All good folks for sure.
Originally Posted by EdM

Thats kinda sad.

I am with Shrapnel. I left for a different life that agreed upon us to become distant. All good folks for sure.

I can see it if you move far away....maybe.

I hated school....but I got along with most everybody.

Had our 20th last summer.

Dont know...seems like relationships and connections are all we have left.
Posted By: WAM Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Mine seem to be dropping like flies. Most are 73.
Posted By: deflave Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Any thoughts?

You and Bill are losers.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22

35th and it's September, otherwise, you could have written that for me.
Posted By: DMc Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: worriedman Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
We just had our 50th high school reunion, out of 135 we have 38 who have passed on. Several murders, couple of suicides, lots of cancer and car wrecks. We had 58 show up for the reunion, which I thought was pretty dang good, from as far as Alaska, Montana and Wyoming, a lot now in FL, many local.

We had a tight class in '72, small West TN town, took a State Championship in football, made it to State in basketball.

My two best friends were gone in five years, one drunk car wreck, one self inflicted gunshot wound, such a pity, those two guys were stars in high school.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
There was only 15 in my graduating class. Sadly 1 was killed in a car wreck and 3 have passed away.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
graduated '64. Close to 150 dead now out of a class of 586. On the FB class site, it's like one a day
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22

Thats kinda sad.

No crying here. Seniors strutting down senior hall hoping to get noticed by one of the cool people.

What’s sad is how people relate their whole life to when they graduated high school. I didn’t even go to graduation. When school got out, everyone looked around and I was gone. It was like closing the door on a bad dream.

If you couldn’t tell, I didn’t like school much. All the cool people are adults or dead and what they did after high school is of no concern for me.

I do know that all the jocks that went to college, couldn’t drink any more beer than I could and none could beat me in a foosball game down at the “St George And The Dragon” where everyone went for dime time on Tuesday nights and Friday afternoon club.

In case anyone wonders, I won’t be going to the reunion…
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Anyone from school that I wanted to be in contact with I still am. We didn't organize a 10 yr, we tried a 20 yr six people showed up. There were a few smoking hot classmates that I wouldn't mind finding out how time treated them.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22

Seems appropriate
Posted By: 320090T Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I dont go to reunions anymore. All those old people want to talk about is their medical issues and operations. HEY, we are on this side of the grass, lets talk about cars and women!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
When my 40th reunion was coming up, the committee posted a list of the departed. One was a guy that lived across the street.

The real jolt was finding out my first serious girlfriend had passed, though she wasn’t from my school. She was 56. Dang.
Posted By: oldcuss Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Class of 1961, there are nine left from twenty eight.
Posted By: hicountry Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Class of '75, we graduated 56.

I think we are down 3.

One drug related, the other 2 illness.

Listening to some here, we must be living right
Posted By: Kenneth66 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Comming to us all sooner or later .
Nothing to sweat about , just hope we can all leave with out a lot of suffering.
Kenneth
Posted By: dale06 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
There was 54 in my 1969 graduating class in a small west central Ks town. I was close to a few guys but I moved several states away after graduation and most of them scattered as well. I know of about a dozen that died, mostly from C. Probably more have died than I know.
I really liked high school. It got me out of a lot of hard work on the farm.
We had a 50 year reunion three years ago. About 25 showed up for that. It was a Funtime learning where peoples lives had taken them.
Seemed like most of the women that were attractive in high school, had really bulked up, not chubby, fat! My best friend and first real girlfriend from high school both are dead from cancer.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I graduated in a class of 29. Three gone that I know of.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
Comming to us all sooner or later .
Nothing to sweat about , just hope we can all leave with out a lot of suffering.
Kenneth

I dunno; there’s some I’d like to see suffer a little bit at least…..😛
Posted By: slumlord Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
How do the Homskool kids do their reunions?

Cupcakes and a full day of Clifford The Red Dog? A trip to the grain silo with Peepaw?
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Well, I see one of the 'attention ho's' is back with his usual drivel. How ya doing flave?
Posted By: deflave Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Well, I see one of the 'attention ho's' is back with his usual drivel. How ya doing flave?

Better than Bill apparently.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I lost the first one about a week after graduation. Car wreck! 54 years ago!
Posted By: Teal Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Graduated 187

I know of 4 dead.

1 - breast cancer. She sat next to me in homeroom
1 - heart attack at 20 - the rag and can of brake clean in his hand might have contributed
1 - suicide
1 - motorcycle accident - known him since the 3rd grade, across 2 schools. VERY talented jazz musician
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I graduated in 1964 with 47 classmates. Kind of unusual that we were all friends then and still are! We are gradually thinning the herd, but when we get together. whether if is a funeral or a small get together we still do what we always did many years ago. Drink beer, tell jokes on each other, and laugh about all of the things we did together and talk about the ones that are gone.
Of course there is some sadness, but usually the best memories are the cure for that.
Nobody looks forward to a funeral, but they are good for saying that last good-bye to an old friend & visiting with some of us who are still left!
Thanks for starting this thread Wabi
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I went to an all-boys high school with 600 students total. At least four of my class were in prison before graduation in 1965, two of them with life sentences for murder. They turned the school itself into a "reformatory" a few years later. Torn down now. No clue how many are still alive - or out of prison.

The only reunions I've ever attended were of my Air Force pilot training class. We had four of them and had our 50th scheduled for 2020 - cancelled due to COVID. There now is no interest in having another mostly because we're all 75 or 76 years old. We've already lost half a dozen of our original 60, but none to aviation accidents. Apparently, we learned well.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Hey Rocky...this is a real Longshot, but did you ever cross paths with "Crash" Davis?

As far as classmates and reunions go, we've probably lost about 20% of the Class of '73...maybe more. I'm halfway interested in our 50th coming up next year, but never attended any in the past. There were a few I'd like to catch up with, but most of them mean nothing to me.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Class of 69, Berkeley MI, never been to a reunion. Lots of missing classmates for sure by now. I am curious about some of my old high school buddies, nut I haven't researched them. I’m not a fakebooker so I can’t ressearch old classmates that way. I think there were 599 in my graduating class.
I went straight into the Navy after graduating in 69. When I came home 4 years later I found out that 5 of my classmates were already in state prison. 1 for murder, 1 for armed robbery 1 for trafficking automatic weapons and 2 for drugs…3 had been killed in Vietnam and 2 had died in car accidents…there’s only one of my old high school friends that I’m still in contact with.
Posted By: OGB Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Don't know, don't care. Didn't peak in high school. Moved on and have had an adventure filled life while most of my classmates just milled about. Got one buddy from then that I recently re-connected with and may go hunting with this fall. That's about it.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
By the time I got back from a 4 year vacation far, far away half a dozen had already died over there. Trying to make sense of that removed any desire to worry about the ones who didn't go. Ran into one I used to look out for because he was always getting bullied. He was on Market street in San Francisco wearing his spiffy new army uniform. One of the saddest days of my life. I just knew he was the perfect definition of cannon fodder. Within a couple weeks he was on his way home in a body bag and a flag.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Class of 450+ A few that I know of have passed. Had a list at our 30th a few years back. No one on death list I knew very well. In January a HS football buddy one year behind my class passed from some weird skin disease. Special Operator Unit for US Marshalls. Had a nice wake for him at a local restaurant and about half the team showed including a few of the coaches.

Thats kinda sad.

No crying here. Seniors strutting down senior hall hoping to get noticed by one of the cool people.

What’s sad is how people relate their whole life to when they graduated high school. I didn’t even go to graduation. When school got out, everyone looked around and I was gone. It was like closing the door on a bad dream.

If you couldn’t tell, I didn’t like school much. All the cool people are adults or dead and what they did after high school is of no concern for me.

I do know that all the jocks that went to college, couldn’t drink any more beer than I could and none could beat me in a foosball game down at the “St George And The Dragon” where everyone went for dime time on Tuesday nights and Friday afternoon club.

No problem with that.

I hated school...but got along with most of the kids.
Posted By: WMR Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by Jerry_Lundegaard
Have my 35 year HS reunion coming up in 2 weeks. 27 are no longer with us. Class size of 112. Sad.

Unless you graduated at age 50, that sounds like a terrible mortality rate! Chernobyl HS, maybe? I guess Baltimore might be just as bad.
Posted By: Teal Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22

Thats kinda sad.

No problem with that.

I hated school...but got along with most of the kids.

Hate the circus but miss the monkeys applies to a lot of things for me too.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I loved high school. Good times.

That said, no desire to relive it. Haven’t made it to a reunion yet.
Posted By: minengr Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I made my 50th birthday this year. This means that I KNOW that every day from here on out, is Down Hill. Many of my friends and acquaintances from HS are gone. Some are in prison. For reasons only known to my Creator, I am still here. I am thankful.

Same. My father died two weeks shy of his 50th, I'm thankful for every day.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
High school class of '71. Had our 50th (slightly late because of COVID) this year. 300 in the class, 31 known deceased, another 51 unable to be located, which suggests at least another 8 are probably dead. I liked high school but I've always been a reader and a bit of a geek. Certainly wasn't a jock nor one of the cool kids and still am not 50 years later.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Small town, small school, 11 in the class of 1956, didn't know till a couple of months ago, i am the only one left. Rio7
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I lost 6 food friends within the first 12 months after high school graduation. Drug overdose, DWI accidents, one suicide. Then at least 6 more over the next 2 years. Couple that with all the ones who were incarcerated along the same time period I wised up and figured it was time for some serious lifestyle changes. Broke ties virtually overnight and never looked back. I've seen a couple of the old crew here and there over the last 30 years, and I didn't miss much.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
I stay in touch with several I care about.

Last I heard, lots with OD's, rehab and/or prison time. Our class president killed his wife or girlfriend?
Posted By: Raspy Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by cra1948
I graduated in a class of 29. Three gone that I know of.

Dang, not bad for a 111 year old....
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/01/22
The funny thing is, while I wasn't one of the "cool kids" in high school, I did have a gaggle of friends and although we've gone our separate ways and are mostly in sporadic touch, when we DO get together it's like picking up where we left off yesterday. I'm not sure why but I guess it's shared experience, including shared secrets. And, when "one of us" is gone, there's a special kind of hurt there.
I think we're at year 45 and the clock IS starting to tick faster, and the hurts come more and more.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
A guy I graduated with always got straight A on his report card, never missed a day of school, and never got in trouble. I always figured he go to college and become a Doctor or something like that. Last I heard he is the town drunk and works for a small logging company.
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
I'll bet my classmates wished I was gone.

I got so drunk at my 20th reunion 5-6 years ago that I talked about how much I love black cock for an hour, to anyone who wouldn't immediately turn away. I was told I "hadn't changed" and that I'm "still an [bleep]". Passed out in the parking lot.

Good times.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
I never kept up with any of my HS classmates, no reunions (that I knew of, wouldn't have gone anyway), I have no idea who's alive and who's dead.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
I have not tried to keep a count, but it seems to me that more has died from the class ahead and the class behind our class of 1965. Small school with around 40 in my class and probably the other classes were close to the same size. I knew, or at least knew the names to speak to most. miles
Posted By: Andy3 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
Graduated high school in 1978, in North Carolina. Couldn't get out west fast enough.

Got a phone call in 1998, from a classmate (don't remember how he got my phone #), about attending our 20th reunion. When I asked the date, he said first weekend in October. I had just drawn one of Idaho's better rifle bull elk hunts that ran from Oct 1-31.

He got pissed, when I declined the invite. I remember telling him, that I don't recall leaving anything behind, in NC.

That was 24 years ago, and I haven't had any other phone calls.

I killed my biggest bull so far, in Idaho, on the third morning of that hunt. 322" 6x7.....turning down 14 bulls before killing him.

I have no idea who has died and who are still alive, back there.....it's of no interest to me. But, I drew another elk hunt this year!

No regrets.

Andy3
Posted By: hookeye Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
No reunions for me. Dont care.

However, did learn that a classmate died way too early from cancer. And that still makes me bummed.

Just so unfair. She was a very nice person. My school seemed to have very few of those.
Drugs and wrecks killed a couple a year, while we were in school. Think my graduating class was around 650.
Dunno who all has passed since.

Its HS. Not a milestone, merely a stepping stone.
Dont get all the nostalgia/ other.

Maybe due to size or time.

Know folks who messed up their lives trying to recapture their youth or whatever.

Not all from screwed up childhoods either.
People do some damn stupid chit.

My mom and her siblings went to a country school and were popular. Small class, damn near everybody kept in touch.

Told her she was in a cult LOL
Posted By: WAM Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
I went to my 50th a couple years ago. Most were sick, lame, lazy, blind, crippled, or crazy. Another gal I grew up with bit the dust last week, so says the book of face. Our town has an annual reunion in another town since the groids took over most of town. Ain’t safe for that many social security recipients to be in one place around there in the park. I may go next year and take my son as tail gunner.
My HS was suburban school outside city limits.
Hell I used to hunt and trap next door to it.

City grew and gobbled the area up.
Bussed a bunch in when I was there, now theyre the majority.
Ought to just make it a prison facility.
What a chithole.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
I graduated in '75 in a class of 120. About 10% are gone now. We still get together every 5 years but had to push back our 45th a year due to the covid.
Our class is very organized and it seems we might be even closer now than in HS. It amazes me how many will travel across the country or globe to attend the reunions but several locals never show up. I really look forward to our reunions and haven't missed one yet.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
I went to my 40th a couple of years ago. about 10% are gone. What I couldn't believe was how bad the health of many of them were in. The potheads and dopers were in the worst shape. The ones that never did sports or drink were next. The ones that drank beer and played sports were in good shape and healthiest. We have lost a few more since then.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
Many of you are older than I. The last few years I've lost several friends two brother-in-laws probably my best friend ever. And an ex-wife. The ex-wife deal kind of really makes you stop and think she was actually younger than me even though there was no love lost not of even secretly celebrated it still makes you take pause.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
Just lost one on 6-30. Class of 1975. He was a nice guy, tougher than anyone would think. He called out the HS tennis coach and said he would meet him in the gym with gloves anytime. He wasn't a real physical specimen but he was pissed. The coach wouldn't commit. The only time I think I ever knew he was pissed. He was an Army vet, Chaplains assistant. He had some kind of surgery for cancer and just couldn't recover. Is it a blessing that it was fairly quick?
RIP Mike Beucler.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
My HS does an all class reunion picnic. I go every couple 3 years. I had friends in classes above and below me so it can make it nice to catch up. My wife is from a class after mine so she can see some old friends. There is an In Memoriam board that is up every year and it is kind of sad to see the thing growing. It was really sad for my wife to see her brother on the board.
Posted By: buddy Re: Losing Classmates. - 07/02/22
Guess I`m lucky . Got 5 good friends that I went to school with that are still here . we`re all 81,82 yrs old, Thanking the Lord.. Ken
© 24hourcampfire