Home
Could you stay awake in class?

Dutch Bryan read from the book in a monotone.
I majored in Math because of my High School Math teacher, he was the Basketball coach, best teacher I had in college or HS
I had many. Some were better than others. One in particular showed faith in me that proved correct in a situation that I wasn't even aware of until much later.
Yes , 2
My geometry teacher was the girls’ basketball coach, baton twirler coach, flags n rifles coach, tennis coach

Geometry sucked and she was a big fat lesbian bitch and a TOTAL KGUNT
Originally Posted by slumlord
My geometry teacher was the girls’ basketball coach, baton twirler coach, flags n rifles coach, tennis coach

So yer saying you twirled batons...cool bro.
Cotton Cavanaugh, and Tom Hauser. Cotton coached football, baseball, basketball. Tom coached wrasslin'. Both were good teachers, too, Cotton taught US history, and Tom taught English.
Good!
Most were sports hires, and worthless.

Gary Waugerman was a coach, gym teacher, and health teacher.
Pretty normal. Always worthless āssholes, especially if you weren't off their players.

Not always.
Gary was a 1st class guy.
RIP Mr. Waugerman.
Had a structural building science professor in college that taught steel design to the architectural students....

Every hypothetical building design problem featured a simple rectangular building grid he claimed the architect stayed up all night designing.

I couldn't get enough of his ridicule of the pompous design students of which I was a part of.....

Never missed his class, which he kept attendance record of.......as a result he rounded up my semester grade .75% of a point to a letter grade higher.

I would have been happy without the roundup......he was a hoot.
2, both very good at their craft.
Coach Bert was a good football coach.
He did not like baseball, "Nobody does anything but the pitcher, and catcher."

Ah, what about the middle infielders reading the catcher's sign, and directing the defense?

Backing up every play?
H.S. history teacher was coach of the rifle team. Health classes were taught by gym teachers most of whom coached one sport or another. College french professor was coach of the fencing team.
Most of the time it was having teachers that also coached on the side. Had the math teacher that was also the cross country & golf coach, the government teacher was also the track coach. Had numerous teachers that were also assistant football coaches. The only actual coach that a coach first was the football coach that was also the phys-ed teacher & summer health teacher.
I grew up in a very small town in north Texas. All the coaches except the head football coach/ad taught. They were all pretty good. Our head basketball coach was our health teacher. When it came to the std portion of the class, he’d yell at us players to “come up and tell the class our experience”. We’d laugh and laugh. Simpler times.
Yup.
Coach Keyes - girls basketball/soft ball - history - boring, but a good teacher
Coach Irby - head football/basketball coach - health- couldn't have given two hoots in hell, you were going to pass his health class. Took the Elks to 3 district championships. He was 5' 7" and went to college on a basketball scholarship.
Coach Turner - football - biology - genial and an excellent teacher
Coach Moore - ass't football - history - he was an alumni fresh from college. NEVER take your first teaching job at your alma mater. Nice enough guy, but we all knew him WAY too well! LOL!
When he tried to get tough on us at football practice, it went over like a lead balloon. NOBODY took him seriously.
I don't even think the head coach took him seriously.

Edit: Forgot about Coach Taylor - boys baseball - school principal. When I was hospitalized 22 years later, I got a get well card from he and his wife
Mrs. Taylor was the bookkeepping/typing teacher
Both retired from my alma mater and were well respected in the community.
I had two. One was my 7th grade English teacher and the other taught Algebra I.
I was the head track coach and AP World History teacher for 13 years. I loved being in the classroom. I could get on a roll get lost in some nerdville session on the Mongols or what not. Had a kid in the drive through last weekend tell me I was his favorite teacher. Humbling to say the least!
In 9th grade he ran off with my ex 15 yr old girlfriend and they got married with her parents consent, he was 25.
Had a gym coach for a teacher that could scarcely read.
Diabeetees is a searees disabilatee.
Went to a small high school, they all taught class.
I had several. They ran the gamut from pretty good teacher to the dumbest SOB I ever had the misfortune of meeting.

Then there was the baseball coach. I don’t know what he actually did during class, but we’d see him once a week. He’d run in and hand out a test, lay the answers on his desk, and leave. Every Friday. The rest of the week, we were alone.
Originally Posted by hanco

Small Central Texas school here….can confirm. My favorite teachers were coaches that actually played sports in a prior life.
The most notable was right after I pushed my Geometry teacher up against the wall and punched him. They took me out of his class and put me in with the wrestling coach. Actually it wasn't my fault, the geometry teacher didn't like me and made a smart remark to me as we were walking down the hall way (opposite directions). I maintained he deserved it.
Our Drivers Ed teacher was our HS Football Coach.
Most of our driving was to his Deer Lease and back.
Yeah. Plenty. I think they are all dead.
Yes,and most were arrogant azzholes except for Coach Ralph. He taught drivers ed and health to me and my cousins and our kids as they came along.Then he was a principle to the younger ones and grandchildren.He retired and came back as a volunteer and substitute teacher before finally retiring for good.He is one of the most beloved men in our community and has had a positive impact on everyone he's ever met.
Lol coach Carrillo, was a tiny guy about 5.5ft and had a heavy mescan accent. lol he would get spit on you when he talked in your face if you complained. One of his favorite sayings was you want water, you see that ant right there he's not asking for water. Lol, one day someone got an ant and put it in the water bucket and when he said that, we were like coach look at this ant, he made us run an extra mile. He is very beloved to this day by everyone he taught and coached.

He wore those big thick black frame glasses also.
Meanwhile, Jake busting his ass.

LOL
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by slumlord

So yer saying you twirled batons...cool bro.
Nah man

I participated in zero extra curricular activities. Fouck sports, fouck band, hell with chess club, movie night, key club, any other chit.

We had cave on the river bluff we were digging out and massive 1900s bottle dump, an arrowhead dig and sifting op too. We dug an indian mound for several months. Aint have no time for silly cheeit like push ups, running laps and grape snowcones.

☠️
Yep , a math teacher. He loved horse races, gambling on them. After He graded test He would call out your name and say win, place, show, also ran or didn't get out the gate (A,B,C, D or F)
Our coaches were always teachers first. Jr high math teacher was a great teacher and basketball coach. Varsity football coach was a really good history teacher. They weren’t all great, but those two were.
Had one in the 6th grade. Being all hillbillies, at some point during the day class would degenerate into hunting, fishing, outdoor adventure stories and product reviews. He wore the first pair of Bean Boots I ever saw.
I might have had a coach that wasn't a teacher in Pewee. But in Jr High and High School, all of our coaches were teachers. And most of them were damn good!
Of course.
10th grade English teacher was my high school basketball/baseball coach.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

When I was in school the teachers taught during the day and coached after school. No one was hired solely as a coach.
My father was my history teacher and my wrestling, xcountry, and basketball coach. He is in the Alaska state coaches hof and worked me hard enough that I earned 5s in Apush and ap gov and scored 1590 on SAT. He was amazing.
Coach Boyles was a good football coach, and made history interesting enough to keep the attention of a bunch of 8th & 9th graders.
Monsieur Lewis, my French teacher, was also my HS football defensive coordinator and HS track coach. My PE/Health teacher was also the offensive line coach. The HS basketball coach was my Government teacher. All the others also taught something, even our Football Head Coach.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
In 9th grade he ran off with my ex 15 yr old girlfriend and they got married with her parents consent, he was 25.
A former coach at our tiny little high school is in prison. 2 counts of statutory rape.
Yes lots, wrestling coaches and football coaches, that’s usually the way it goes Richard. Next question please! 😂😂
Ninth grade history teacher was also Coach Oaks, all the girls got A's, all the boys got B's and we didn't do a darned thing in class the whole year.
Driver's Ed was taught by Mr. O., who was also the wrestling coach and phys ed teacher. Required reading included Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl and The Pennsylvania Driver's License Handbook.
Yep several of them
My HS metal shop teacher had to coach gymnastics as a newbie teacher. He was 5'9" tall about 200 lbs, injun out of Nebraska. A really fine human but a tough SOB. He got jumped by some hard asses and knocked them all on their asses with one loosing a tooth. He was a school favorite. The varsity wrestling coach was a real math teacher. He taught the AP classes.
I had Coach Allen for Algebra and Trig. If you were not up tp speed with the equation on the blackboard, it was out in the hall for two licks.
Coach Krebs taught health,he was a good teacher.
I went to a small rural high school. All of the coaches taught so I had a lot of coaches as teachers. Some of them were excellent teachers. Some were so-so. Some were terrible. I'm pretty sure they would have been about the same, good or bad, even if they didn't coach. Some folks will do a great job at everything they undertake. Some folks will do the minimum at everything they undertake.

I help coach football at a local school after my day job. I only help during football season and it's volunteer work. Being able to see the time/effort the coaches put into their job I've come to believe that head coaches shouldn't have to teach. It's a small school and the coaching stipend for head and assistant coaches is very small. I believe they'd make A LOT more money working those extra hours at a minimum wage job....and have a lot less stress on them. Several of the coaches coach multiple sports...it's crazy the load they carry.
I had one for math and one for shop class
I taught Science (Biology, Physical Science, Life/Earth/Environmental...) for 36 yrs. Led the system in test scores the last 7 years. Football record 74-11. Coached 8 players that went to the NFL including one with a $40 million contract. (Melvin Ingram). I'm retired now. I was a teacher first....a salesman of sorts. Heard a lot of teachers say "You don't have to like me...". Wrong. I wouldn't buy a car from a salesman I didn't like. I used what I called "tags" for most of my lessons. A story that I would weave throughout my "walking around while talking/discussing" that made my students want to know what I knew. I noticed when I said "I remember one time" or the "other day I was" they would focus on the story. Would HATE to teach with laptops open on every desk now.
Yes. Athletics/PE teachers or coaches. Many times here were health class teachers and sometimes science teachers.
Ah, if you can't teach you coach; if you can't coach you become the principle; if you can't be a principle you become the superintendent.

And that is why most school district are in physical and financial distress.
Originally Posted by hanco

I was right down the road from Hanco, same situation. Some were OK, some were A-holes. What can do?
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Sure - it was GYM class... laugh
Several. My Calculus teacher was the track coach. You fell asleep in his class and you were going to be woken by the starter pistol. He also had a masters degree in Mathematics and was no dummy! He helped me and a few buddies with our college math; partial differential equations. FB coach taught machine shop and welding. He was great. We were attempting to change out an oxygen bottle and it fell over. It cracked the valve and the cylinder shot through the shop wall! We later found it out at the far end of the FB field against the fence. We were all scared [bleep] but he was pretty cool about it. The wrestling coach taught health. He was a terrible teacher.
I guess I didn't realize there were coaches who didn't teach...

One of my favorite teachers was my wrestling coach. Jerry Grossen was a great coach and an even better Commercial Law instructor. I still remember some of the classes he taught us and I'm almost 70 now. Our other wrestling coach was a shop teacher and also taught basic electrical class. Our basketball coach was my math teacher for 2 years in high school - Trigonometry and Match VI. He was darned good at it, but I had a tough time in his class. I pulled B's mostly, but it was a real tough go of it. Our baseball coach taught Physical Education and I can't remember what our a-hole football coach taught , but it was some subject I never took because I wouldn't be caught dead in one of his classes. I was so pissed at his arrogance I quit the football team in the middle of the season my senior year...
The best teachers I had were coaches. I'm pretty sure it was the testosterone thing.
I had several. Always a plus if you are on the team and they like you.
© 24hourcampfire