Home
Posted By: strikeu Question for RVers - 07/01/22
I guess this doesn't have to be RV specific, but it is my current reference.

Worst Interstate (Federal) in the country?

My vote is I-40 through AZ
I-5 through Tacoma / Seattle
I-65 through North to central, AL
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
I-5 From Olympia to North of Seattle, complete chit show pretty much 7x24. It's worse than anything I've run into in California, even San Jose during rush hour during the tech boom.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
Worst how?
Traffic?
Road condition?
Wind and grades?

I-90 sucks azz from Ellensburg west to 5 in all categories except maybe wind.
Posted By: strikeu Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Worst how?
Traffic?
Road condition?
Wind and grades?

road condition. Potholes, general disrepair. I thought my rig was gonna fly apart somewhere in central AZ on I-40.

and yes, I-5 is bad, really bad also.

not traffic, not wind or grades.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
To the above add metro Atlanta where median and shoulder space has been used for travel lanes so breakdowns and wrecks have no place to pull off. I25 from Colorado Springs to Cheyanne is as bad as it gets and getting worse with construction east and west of the Interstate on the Front Range. I5 even as far south as Olympia is made worse by narrowing down from extra lanes to cross bridges and with no alternative north south route west of the Cascades. On a bad day I70 from east of Denver though the tunnels.

My vote for worst is I25 from Denver north. Issues include confusing interchanges and lane choice to go with crazy traffic.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by strikeu
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Worst how?
Traffic?
Road condition?
Wind and grades?

road condition. Potholes, general disrepair. I thought my rig was gonna fly apart somewhere in central AZ on I-40.

Ahh.
Yeah, 5 is bad. Spent a lot of years traveling from Lacey to Maryville with a bunch of stops in between.

Still say 90 is worse. They’ve been working on it for the 16 years I’ve been out here. It’s always a schit show.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
For traffic conditions from 7am through 7pm on weekdays, combined with poor drivers - I 15 from Provo to Ogden and especially the SLC strip is bad.
I go out to Colorado and bowhunt elk almost every year. I-80 is well maintained across Nebraska but the truck traffic is substantial to say the least. 80 for the most part is excellent.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
Just got done driving about 800 miles up IH35 and the same back down.

Every SOB on that construction ridden highway was trying to kill ya.

T'wernt a leisurely drive. frown
Posted By: JeffA Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by strikeu

Yeah, went across that stretch, lost a wheel cover, right lane was out of the question, left lane was about as bad.
I-70 west of Glenwood Springs to 191 was about the same.
Don't know about 70 west of 191.

Pre-Obama there seemed to be resurfacing work going on all the time, not as much put into our Interstates since.

Inter-city Intestates seem to be getting enlarged at a pretty good clip but little general maintenance anywhere else.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I-5 From Olympia to North of Seattle, complete chit show pretty much 7x24. It's worse than anything I've run into in California, even San Jose during rush hour during the tech boom.
I-5 is worse from Vancouver through Portland. Enough traffic for 5 or 6 lanes each way crammed into 2 lanes.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Question for RVers - 07/01/22
As an ex-long haul truck driver....

Pa has won(lost?) The Overdrive Magazine Worst Roads Title so many times that it became the expected champ and the contest was for #2.

The Turnpike is the most expensive toll road, on earth.

If you want to talk just the road, I-95.
Traffic, road design considering traffic, and boredom.

Pine trees and city, then pine trees.
It's non stop Metro-plex from the New Hampshire line until Petersburg VA.
Boston, NYC, North Jersey, Philthy, Baltimore, DC, Richmond.

You drive that in a day, you envy the guy you saw threatening to jump off
The George Washington.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Question for RVers - 07/02/22
I haven't been on it in years, but I-29 going thru Iowa might as well be an autocross track. It was "okay" in 1998, the first time I drove it, but afterwards, it might as well be a test track for Bilstein.

I-65 north of Elizabethtown, Kentucky is no picnic, but at least they are working on it. It's gawd awful right now. The last time I was on I-65 in Indiana, I thought it would beat the tires off my wheels. Horrible.
Posted By: greydog Re: Question for RVers - 07/02/22
As far as interstate highways are concerned, I dislike I-10 but we really don't travel the interstates much; unless we are in a hurry for some reason. On all of the highways, the builders seem unable to build an overpass without putting a ski jump at each end. GD
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Question for RVers - 07/02/22
80 through Wyoming during a winter storm will age you a bit.
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: Question for RVers - 07/02/22
I-65 will be forever construction.
© 24hourcampfire