Home
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Coons gotta go!!
Are you sure it was a black kid that’s getting into the garden? I mean…it makes sense using what you’re using but you gotta be careful that you don’t accidentally catch a coon. 😁
How high will the body count go?
I have one of them set up for a smarter than most...Coon....Raccoon.
Sardines work.
my local ground squirrels luv graham crackers

I hate ground squirrels.......

Caught one this morning.....20 minutes

magpies had lunch
I confess...... I bought that exact same thing (box of 6) a couple months ago and had one every morning for 6 days with my coffee. They were OK but I haven't exactly felt a strong desire for another box of them yet. Perhaps one of these days if I'm in the mood.
Coons will kill for a honey bun!
Originally Posted by rainshot
Sardines work.

My experience from before is once they hit sweet corn, they want nothing but sweet carbs. I deployed both at the same time. Only caught the mother in law’s cat 🤪🤪😹

Proteins in fall and winter.

I’m not a trapper but I am a pest control professional.

Glazed donuts, sweet rolls, grape jelly, the stickier ooie gooey the better. ☠️☠️☠️😃
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Im guessing 3.
I keep at least 4 dog-proof traps out year round to control the coons. I've caught about 20 so far this year, and they haven't got in the sweet corn yet, and it's been in for 2 weeks. I've been using dry cat food and marshmellows, but have switched over to the sweet feed I feed the horse and calves with. They love sweets.

We haven't had any rain for a month now, and I've been trapping the water sources. Caught one last night.
If you live in town, July 4 is prime raccoon popping time. Nobody will notice the little 22 sound.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Im guessing 3.

Stack em up!
Coons getting in my Peaches n Cream.

Been running some dog-proofs.

Dry cat food. Marshmallows. Peach flavored gummy-rings.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

We learned our lesson on dog proofs and cat food.

They ain't cat proofs!
Awwwww chit
Knew the war would be comin over to this side of tbe pond.
Maybe Z can loan ya some thermal and missiles.
Ya know, one them cool target .22 rifles w a can for NRL22 might be a decent varnint slayer......
Caught this guy’s leg in a dog proof and a week later popped his ass under the bird feeder.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

They ain't cat proofs!
My kind of trap.
If you get one that is reluctant to enter the trap try putting a camping mirror in the back behind the bait. It has worked for me when I was doing nuisance wildlife control before moving to Alaska.

One homeowner had reported seeing a raccoon starting to enter my trap but getting skittish. I put a mirror behind the bait. The homeowner stayed up watching the trap to see if it would work. He said the raccoon looked in the trap skittishly at first then lunged into it hard when he saw the “other” coon about to get the bait. It has worked several times on trap shy raccoons and skunks.
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Caught this guy’s leg in a dog proof and a week later popped his ass under the bird feeder.

Colonel Stubbs 🤣
“Sweet” baits generally cut down on the non-targets that you catch with the fish type baits.
Good luck Slummy!
Everyone in the South knows you gotta use a watermelon to catch coons ! 😜🤪😂

Slum, Sardines always worked well for me when I trapped in HS.
We have to live trap a few coons around the herd of farm cats.

Marshmellows.
I saw a can of tunafish result in a very stuck live trap on my granpas yellow labs head. Looked out the window and saw a big metal box cage go walking by at about a 45 degree angle 2 ft off the ground. Carmela was one of those big huge headed old school labs and she really got that trap stuck. She was strong enough she could pick it up and walk with it.

She used to chase ground squirrels into hand lines and then pick up one end with her mouth and drag a whole section of pipe to the pond. She'd get my grandpa to hook it up to a riser and launch the squirrel into the pond so she could catch it.

Bb
I like that idea of the camping mirror behind the bait. This place is crawling with raccoons and I've been considering a live trap. Heard those little cans of cat food with tuna work well and are cheap. Already have a few here and all I need now is a live trap bigger than the 3 or 4 Havaharts I already have.
Dry cat food works fine and is/or was cheap.
dog proof's are the shizzle. They catch coons, skunks and feral cats. Thanks for the reminder to bait mine tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Dutch
dog proof's are the shizzle. They catch coons, skunks and feral cats. Thanks for the reminder to bait mine tomorrow.

Don’t forget possums......
If you want to get rid of pests and varmints,
you have to kill them
"Relocating " them doesn't work.
SSS if you need to, or let somebody else
that isn't afraid to take care of the issue.

Just got through listening to one of these
new age wolf lovers that wants large predators
restocked all over the US for the sake of "biodiversity "
Funny, they always seem to get highly upset
when little fluffy the kitty kat gets grabbed by a
bobcat or coyote and crunched like a bag of cheetos
Actually, those little debbie snacks look pretty good, tempting.
Originally Posted by 673

Zebra cakes are usually pretty good
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Are you sure it was a black kid that’s getting into the garden? I mean…it makes sense using what you’re using but you gotta be careful that you don’t accidentally catch a coon. 😁

Coons are coons
I do sweet corn every 2 years

Same result, very repeatable, switched to sticky buns about 10 years back after conversations with game warden and several other pest control owners and operators at Tenn Dept of Ag licensing seminar
I use half deer corn and half dry cat food in my dog proof traps. Does great on coons, possums and one squirrel.
Peanut butter in a piece of panty hose and wired to the inside roof of the cage above the pan works great as a bait. It’s tough material, lets the peanut butter weep through, and gets the animal working the bait and usually gets them dancing around the trap pan. And it doesn’t attract cats.
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by 673

Zebra cakes are usually pretty good
Now you’re talking!
Originally Posted by 673

Hold out for Mrs. Freshley's

Best honey buns ever...
Little Debbie says.......................................

"Eat My Pie"
Originally Posted by mart
Peanut butter in a piece of panty hose and wired to the inside roof of the cage above the pan works great as a bait. It’s tough material, lets the peanut butter weep through, and gets the animal working the bait and usually gets them dancing around the trap pan. And it doesn’t attract cats.
Peanut butter in the trap I've got out right now after a squirrel. Game cam shows the neighbor's cat comes by to check it out but doesn't try to lick it. Small cat could get it's head in there. Wife says generally if their whiskers won't fit thru they don't like sticking their head in. Don't know if it's true, or if these cats just wonder what the smell is.
Choosy Varmints... Choose Jif
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by 673

Hold out for Mrs. Freshley's

Used to buy a good many Mrs Freshly products,
but they've been scarce around here for a while
Not sure why
I would have never dreamed that you couldn't
buy toilet paper on a whim anywhere in America
I had a masked bandit that was coming by about 3 every morning on the back door area, setting off the Ring doorbell...I set out my live trap with marshmallows, box would be empty, marshmallows gone. Cagy fugger was reaching through the side, pulling to the wire and eating it without ever going inside the dang thing, caught that action on a game cam. Put hardware cloth on the sides, next morning he took a dirt nap. Figure some Karen had caught him young and relocated him, they get wise quick.
Ringtail antenna flags or it didn'happen
Originally Posted by Brandon_Sknos
Ringtail antenna flags or it didn'happen
Slum wears a handmade coon skin cap to the Piggly Wiggly.
I usually take the coon carcass down the road and toss it into the road. Who's gonna check on a road-killed coon carcass? They never see the bullet hole in the skull, cuz it was hit by a car................

They ain't cat proofs!

All the better.
Originally Posted by Yoder409

They ain't cat proofs!

All the better.

LOL.
I collect the ivory

Use marshmallows in a dog proof trap. You won't catch the neighbor's cat but coons cannot resist a marshmallow. Might catch a possum every now and then.
Update: ZERO

No additional crop loss
No traps tripped
All intact, all honey rolls still in place

Could have been the 30 person yard party and $700 of fireworks that went on till midnight.
Then texas holdem till daylight under the pavilion.

5:45 am walk thru revealed no prisoners

I expect a much, much quieter overnight tonight Should have coonery action.
Peanut butter on a piece of bread, white or whole wheat. Take your pick. 😊
Do I get honey w my peanut butter?
Buddy of mine had a coon problem. He live trapped them and relocated them in the ritzy neighborhood about 5 miles away.

He had a ball doing it.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Buddy of mine had a coon problem. He live trapped them and relocated them in the ritzy neighborhood about 5 miles away.

He had a ball doing it.

When I rented the trout farm on the rez, the owner would ask me to live trap them so he could relocate them to the bottoms by the reservoir, about six miles away. I swear they’d get back home before he did.

I started giving themto a customer who trained hounds, instead. Those never made it back.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by rainshot
Sardines work.

My experience from before is once they hit sweet corn, they want nothing but sweet carbs. I deployed both at the same time. Only caught the mother in law’s cat 🤪🤪😹

Proteins in fall and winter.

I’m not a trapper but I am a pest control professional.

Glazed donuts, sweet rolls, grape jelly, the stickier ooie gooey the better. ☠️☠️☠️😃

H@ll, you might catch me out "sleep-walking".
I caught the strongest raccooon in NJ. Ripped open the back of the Havaheart and squeezed out. Still after him and found they love Purina dog chow. Might hear fireworks here tonite. lol Whitetail love the dog chow as well. CB longs just piss them off.
Tuck the marshmallow under the trigger plate where they can’t get to it. from the outside.
A live trap and a tank of water. Nice and quiet. Works on coons and feral cats. Any local Karen doesnt know the difference.
When I was a kid still at home, grandpa planted about an acre of sweetcirn every year, butted up next to the coon filled timber.

3 strand electric fence all the way around. Bottom wire as low as you could go without it hitting the ground, like 6” max. Then one about a foot or 18”, then one about belly button high for persuading the deer. We rarely got hit by a coon.
© 24hourcampfire