Home
I'm about to take a 10-month course at Lincoln Tech on Advanced Machining.

What shooting related items do you wish were still made?

I plan to purchase a small lathe and mill and would like to make small items that are either in short supply or unobtainable.

I want to make my own hollowpointing tools. I paid a hobby machinist to make me a few a couple of years ago and I use them often. Longer scope rails for NEF/H&R rifles in another idea.

Let me know what ideas or needs you have.

Thanks, Dinny
Silver scopes, rings and mounts.

Although you can’t help me here…Camo Uncle Mikes products.
Trigger shoes...
Primers...
Originally Posted by Esox357
Primers...

And percussion caps. laugh
Accubonds
Remington 581's, S&W 2213 and 622's.
Biesen checkered steel grip caps and buttplates.
Originally Posted by SMalloy805
Trigger shoes...
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Biesen checkered steel grip caps and buttplates.

These are within the realm of possible. Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks, Dinny
The old Lyman 310 loading tool and dies.
Gloss scopes
Savage 99s.
Lee zero error target hand reloading sets in some modern calibers
There was an outfit back in the '80s that made tube magazine plugs for shotguns. They were tubes of aluminium of the proper length for whichever model of shotgun it was for. In addition, the tube was threaded at both ends for the appropriate choke tubes for that model of gun so that in addition to limiting you to 3 shots you also always had 2 spare choke tubes along if you wanted to change choke. I thought that it was a great idea but I only ever saw 2 of the tubes.
Fieldcraft 7mm/08’s. 😜
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
The old Lyman 310 loading tool and dies.
Originally Posted by Swift_Strike
Lee zero error target hand reloading sets in some modern calibers
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
There was an outfit back in the '80s that made tube magazine plugs for shotguns. They were tubes of aluminium of the proper length for whichever model of shotgun it was for. In addition, the tube was threaded at both ends for the appropriate choke tubes for that model of gun so that in addition to limiting you to 3 shots you also always had 2 spare choke tubes along if you wanted to change choke. I thought that it was a great idea but I only ever saw 2 of the tubes.

I'm familiar with Lyman 310 tools. I'll research these other ones to see if they're something I can make.

Thanks, Dinny
Again - primers and percussion caps. smile
Dual dovetail scope rings w/live eccentric centers.

In the “New” dept. something in the order of Talley Lightweght/Hawkins integral ring/base combo w/live eccentric centers.

22LR rifles fed via tube in the stock not under the bbl.
The old Savage 410er for 12 and 20 gauge.
Lee target model hand loader
ACTIV shells
Marbles R6 tang sights for the Remington Model 8/81.
A Lee Loader in 7mm/08
CVA Apex center fire barrels.
Extra long bolt heads for Enfield mk4s
Left hand Winchester’s
And McMillan stocks for said Winchesters.
Handgun scopes, that are worth a schit
Win M12 - gauge is irrelevant.
Lawn Darts...
Originally Posted by Bobmar
CVA Apex center fire barrels.

^^^^^ this
Custom made rifle brass for rare or hard to find cartridges. The place in Montana is seemingly no longer in business.
The modified Talley mounts for Tikka rifles
Tyler T-grips for S&W revolvers. Still made (barely), but demand seems to outstrip supply. Please start w/ K frames!
20 ga shells
92 Winchesters in .44-40, .38-40, .32-20, and .25-20.
Originally Posted by kandpand
The modified Talley mounts for Tikka rifles

Yup....they were good....forget the user that made them but I have a set on a 308 with 3-400 rounds and no issues.
M71, M64 Winchesters, the 64 in .30 WCF.
Originally Posted by Dinny
What shooting related items do you wish were still made?

Primers.

Tom
Old formula Break-Free, old formula Hoppes #9, steel Lyman peep sights.
Originally Posted by hanco
Gloss scopes

+1
Carhart game vest
Depending on your skill level I’d pick easy challenges to start with. Most rings, mounts and such are CNC items now. I’d advise to get good at threading. Good luck.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
ACTIV shells

I think you’re the first person that I’ve heard of that misses ACTIV shotgun shells. I thought they looked cool but I never heard much favorable around here about them.

What was it that you really liked about them?
Double square bridge CRF (long claw) actions

Pre-lock & non-MIM S&W revolvers

Good quality, simple-featured Leupold scopes with functional reticles and Alumina caps

Dinny- for your endeavor… I like the K-frame Tyler T grip idea that Sagewind floated.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
ACTIV shells

I think you’re the first person that I’ve heard of that misses ACTIV shotgun shells. I thought they looked cool but I never heard much favorable around here about them.

Activ had a number of options with heavier shotloads than other brands. Activ along with Fiocchi offered loads with nickle plated shot long before the larger manufacturers. The empty hulls reloaded good also.
Left handed Ruger Hawkeyes off the top of my head. IMR 4320.
Uncle Mike's scope caps, the kind with the heavy rubber band.
Millet sights.

Actually, any GOOD white outline rear sights. One wonders why they seem to have almost completely disappeared from use.

Safariland speedloaders for the Models 27-28
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
ACTIV shells

Activ had a number of options with heavier shotloads than other brands. Activ along with Fiocchi offered loads with nickle plated shot long before the larger manufacturers. The empty hulls reloaded good also.

Along with the variety and reloadability, they were very slick feeding.
A replication of Jim Stroh’s front revolver sights and blades.
Marlin 39 Mounties for $179
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by longarm

The WINNER.
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Carhart game vest

I think I have one if it’s just carhartt brown with the bird pouch on the back and pockets on the front for spent shells. PM me if you’re interested.
Primers and bullets.
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Left hand Winchester’s

Dinny, is my order ready yet?
Let me know what ideas or needs you have.

Thanks, Dinny

Basic machine skills are a good thing...

I did the research on "Best muzzle brake 5.56?" Google Fu stuff...

Yeah, I know... who the hell needs a brake on a 5.56...

Cross-multiplied and did some more ciphering and did a design for my .375 RUM

Great brake and tames the RUM a fair bit...

Downside... it is a rude mofo if anyone is shooting on your left or right... 50-100 yards

If I wished an item was still made, why would I shoot it?
Originally Posted by longarm

Damn that’s pretty! What a beautiful Smith, the poster child for “they don’t make them like that anymore”.
Dinny: Leupold should again manufacture their wonderful/outstanding 8.5x25x40m/m variable "Colony Varmint" Hunting scope.
I have three of these and consider it the best Colony Varmint Hunting scope ever made.
Big Green should again manufacture their wonderful/outstanding XR-100 single shot heavy barrel Rifles.
The folks at Bausch & Lomb should again manufacture their wonderful line of Rochester, New York made "Zephyr" binoculars these were/are outstanding optics.
Dinny get geared up and make some of these - please.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
You guys expect an awful lot of a guy with a small lathe and mill.
powder?
Originally Posted by mathman
You guys expect an awful lot of a guy with a small lathe and mill.

Thread drift? Never...
Williams model 70 extractors.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dinny: Leupold should again manufacture their wonderful/outstanding 8.5x25x40m/m variable "Colony Varmint" Hunting scope.
I have three of these and consider it the best Colony Varmint Hunting scope ever made.
Big Green should again manufacture their wonderful/outstanding XR-100 single shot heavy barrel Rifles.
The folks at Bausch & Lomb should again manufacture their wonderful line of Rochester, New York made "Zephyr" binoculars these were/are outstanding optics.
Dinny get geared up and make some of these - please.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

8.5-25x40m/m
Rifles in .32 Winchester Special
trigger shoes. Big head safeties, Odd height blocks. Try screws for stock work.
TC Hawkin Tang Peep Sights
Some time ago user TC1 on the campfire offered up 30 improved trigger guards and bottom metal for CZ .22's. They sold out very quickly @ $140 each and I was lucky enough to get one, pictured here on a 452FS.

A much nicer looking piece of metal than the factory one. I suspect another run of these would sell out quickly

Did some searching and miracle of miracles, found the thread -- https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3386893/1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by pabucktail

That’s an excellent recommendation and probably within his capability. I’ll take a couple!
Ruger 10/22 magnum!
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Silver scopes, rings and mounts.

Absolutely agree!!!!! Silver Cerakote just ain't the same....
Modifying the Talley Low Rings to be Extra Low for Tikka's should be a relatively simple ask. Biesen / Fisher style grip caps might be a step up in effort. Capstone project might be Fisher or Blackburn style bottom metal for a standard Mauser...

I do not personally need any of the above. However, when I had them, and sold them, they went quick. And I still see folks asking for them on a somewhat regular basis.
Easy one!!!!

B-Square and Aimtech no drill scope mounts for early S & W revolvers!!!
Originally Posted by centershot
TC Hawkin Tang Peep Sights
X’s 2
Hehehe.. I asked that question a couple years back.

You have to find a nitch where the current supply is garbage… and make a good product and they’ll fly off the shelf.

Making parts pays. ALOT better than doing regular smithing work - but you can’t beat making a bug hole shooting rifle.
Transferable autos.
Originally Posted by dassa
Transferable autos.
Those made or imported before 1984 are still transferable. It’s all of those after, but I get what you’re saying and can’t argue with that one. With the streamlining of the NFA process this would have been the golden age.

I’d like to see good sharp fine line checkering without costing an arm and a leg Vs. the garbage pressed checkering that we see on so many rifles today.
Baby Redfield 3/4" scopes and Leupold Alaskans.
Originally Posted by Sagewind
Tyler T-grips for S&W revolvers. Still made (barely), but demand seems to outstrip supply. Please start w/ K frames!

Yes this for me as well. S&W L & N
100 dollar '03 Springfields.
Stoney Point bipods.
Lots of good ideas and advice. Thanks!
Did anyone mention primers and 7mm ballistic tips?

That’s an excellent recommendation and probably within his capability. I’ll take a couple!

Add me to the list. I’ll take 3 or 4.
Deleted
Interests mark x - Whitworth styling.. Good if they, Zastava, could resurrect that styling and QA/QC.

Of course, now they make left-handed actions that would be even better.

Quality 4x36, 6x36 or 42 telescopic sights, some with TDS reticle for mountain hunting.
Precision Shooting Magazine
Good gun magazines
Tasco scopes with "TV" ocular
Millett revolver sights
Scope mounts for Dan Wesson .357 mag. revolvers.

Williams Extractors
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Williams Extractors

Long out of business.
Parkers, Fox's, and L.C Smiths
Primers
Aluminum mossber 500 trigger group
Scope mounts for a Model 1903 Mannlicher Schoenauer chambered in 6.5x54MS
Ammo at 1969 prices. laugh
White Conservatives who work for a living.
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Every white conservative I know works for a living. I wonder if you were born stupid or did you have to work up to it?
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

Only shooting magazine that was worth reading.
Originally Posted by MAC

I just wanted an aperture sight mount for one, the kind that swings out of the way when the bolt is opened and swings back when the bolt is closed. I'd pay several hundred dollars for one.
Rocky Mountain broadheads
Originally Posted by 257_X_50

The last few I saw were nothing but drivel, with articles of Norm Johnson varmit hunting. I think without the Last Post that magazine would have folded about two years earlier. Just my two cents.
I bet there's a market for some micro adjustable rear sights for all of the compact pistols that are being made these days.

Many of the fixed sights in those guns are set into dovetails and I would bet that many of the dovetails are the same and the front sights are close enough that they could be dialed in with the same adjustable rear sight.

I worked as a Toolmaker my whole life and a micro sized adjustable rear sight is something that could be fabricated without resorting to a lot of mind bending tricks.

I recently bought a Ruger LCP Max that has the fixed rear sight set into a dovetail. It shoots about 1.5" low at 30'. I've looked around for a micro adjustable sight for it and nobody makes one.

That's just one example.
Light collapsible bipods that can be easily detached to use on a different firearm. Right height for sitting and standing.
A bit larger wing safety for the M77 Mark II in SS.
My only complaint on those safety’s is the wing can be a bit of a challenge with gloves on and you’re in a hurry
Originally Posted by MAC

Every white conservative I know works for a living. I wonder if you were born stupid or did you have to work up to it?

My point was that there are less and less of those working White Conservatives all the time. That section of our society makes up the bulk of shooters and those numbers are decreasing.

I'm sorry you didn't understand that.
Indyka35: No that was NOT the only shooting related magazine that was "worth reading"!
My nominee for magazine MOST "worth reading" was "The Varmint Hunter Magazine" - I have every single issue and not only did I learn a lot about one of my favorite pastimes (Varminting/shooting/guns) I also learned about a lot of wonderful places to go/Hunt!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Indyka35: No that was NOT the only shooting related magazine that was "worth reading"!
My nominee for magazine MOST "worth reading" was "The Varmint Hunter Magazine" - I have every single issue and not only did I learn a lot about one of my favorite pastimes (Varminting/shooting/guns) I also learned about a lot of wonderful places to go/Hunt!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My apologies for dissing your mag. The only varmints we had round here were woodchucks and crows. I've never even seen an issue of "The Varmint Hunter Magazine."
Marvel style adjustable triggers for the Ruger Mark I & Mark II pistols
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by MAC

I just wanted an aperture sight mount for one, the kind that swings out of the way when the bolt is opened and swings back when the bolt is closed. I'd pay several hundred dollars for one.

That is what is on mine but my eyes are getting to the point where the sight is hard to use and scope mounts for those rifles are few and far between and costly.
Originally Posted by MAC

But they were probably all made 30+ years ago

Williams Extractors

I sure wish it were that easy. He stopped selling on his own about 6 years or so back and Brownells had the last of his inventory. They’ve been sold out for quite a while. I’m counting on Dinny!

Williams Extractors

I sure wish it were that easy. He stopped selling on his own about 6 years or so back and Brownells had the last of his inventory. They’ve been sold out for quite a while. I’m counting on Dinny!

Duly noted! I'll try.
Unfortunately my instructor is anti-gun and will no longer allow any gun related projects. I plan to speak to his supervisor tomorrow to ensure his opinions accurately represent school policy. In the meantime, and while I fully suspect the answer will still be no, I need to find a new final project. Anyone have any clever ideas how to disguise a Win M70 claw extractor as a part of something else that's fairly believeable or does anyone have other ideas what I could make instead?
The hanned line 22lr and 22 mag LBT bullet die. It allowed the tip of a jacketed round to be filed off. I have the 22 lr version and it kills very well. I have taken a texas heart shot on a ground hog and the round exited the chest. It works very well and adds a good bit of omph to the 22 LR.
Unfortunately my instructor is anti-gun and will no longer allow any gun related projects. I plan to speak to his supervisor tomorrow to ensure his opinions accurately represent school policy. In the meantime, and while I fully suspect the answer will still be no, I need to find a new final project. Anyone have any clever ideas how to disguise a Win M70 claw extractor as a part of something else that's fairly believeable or does anyone have other ideas what I could make instead?

Just call it a "cylinder movement and tensioning device"
https://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/...winchester-or-browning-71-part-i-of-iii/
Lee Target Reloading Kits
Parker shotguns and canjar single set triggers.
Thompson Center Contenders
Good fitting gun chaps for rifles.

Osky
© 24hourcampfire