Home
for those that chose Kohler over Generac what influenced your decision?. PMs are preferred so as not to start another pissing match.... TIA.
When w the 20kw Kohler. Even tho it was more expensive that a Generact. Kohler has a better built motor. Could find very few ppl that had problems w the kohler, seems like lots were having problems w the Generacts.
Originally Posted by Fullfan
When w the 20kw Kohler. Even tho it was more expensive that a Generact. Kohler has a better built motor. Could find very few ppl that had problems w the kohler, seems like lots were having problems w the Generacts.
Love to know from your vast research what makes you say the Kohler motor is better built than the generac unit.I have a 12 year old 17 kw generac whole house that has been flawless.I change the oil/filter once per year with full synthetic oil.Changed the plugs and air filter 2-3 times just for good measure and adjusted the valves.
Stay away from Generac, they screwed me out of about 5 grand. POS company that doesn’t stand behind their product.
Originally Posted by Mossback
Stay away from Generac, they screwed me out of about 5 grand. POS company that doesn’t stand behind their product.
Ford,GM and Chrysler Fugged me over 30 years ago to.I feel your pain.LMAO cry
I’ve been a generator tech for close to 20 years now, older generac use to be great generators, have seen the quality slip over the past several years, stator, rotor, brushes, voltage regulators, control boards have all been problems. I and I alone have done the maintenance on these unit so I know it was done right, and I’m typing this as I sit here and look at my Kohler.
I chose Kohler over Generac because I wanted a generator that I could rely on. Ask anyone who works on generators which manufacture keeps the service revenues coming in. Generac creates a lot of income for service operators.
Originally Posted by Seips
I’ve been a generator tech for close to 20 years now, older generac use to be great generators, have seen the quality slip over the past several years, stator, rotor, brushes, voltage regulators, control boards have all been problems. I and I alone have done the maintenance on these unit so I know it was done right, and I’m typing this as I sit here and look at my Kohler.
Maybe I purchased one of the older units that has been very dependable.Just stating my own personal generac experience.
A friend services computer centers and installs multiple brands of generators from 20kw to megawatt units, he installed a Generac for his own home because he trusted them, that was good enough for me to have a 22kw Generac installed..
Well the 5 post below yours should be enough
Those are all just Box Store Toys....

[Linked Image from generatorsource.com]

Caterpillar C175-20

[Linked Image from motortrend.com]

4 turbos, and 4,000 hp of diesel power, churning out 4 megawatts.
Originally Posted by coobie
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Love to know from your vast research what makes you say the Kohler motor is better built than the generac unit.I have a 12 year old 17 kw generac whole house that has been flawless.I change the oil/filter once per year with full synthetic oil.Changed the plugs and air filter 2-3 times just for good measure and adjusted the valves.

Start with the 5 post below yours. Take about 30 min and you will find anything.
No pissing match here. I don't know the factual evidence that makes a Kohler better or worse.

My local dealer is Generac. My 16 kW NG unit is powered by a Vanguard V-twin engine. I know FOR A FACT through working the dog snot outta 3 Vanguard powered Cub Cadets that the engine is smooth, reliable and VERY ballsy. Hoping the quality of the rest of the unit is as high.

Going on 4 years for the Generac unit with no complaints...........except I wish I had gone 22 kW.
Yoder they use those 35 horse vanguards for experimental and home built aircraft great motors.
I had a 12.5 drop shipped to my address, it blew up in 12 hours. I called Generac and they told me they would fix it. I went to their web page to find the nearest factory repairman. He was 200 mile’s away. He came down and picked it up. I never heard from him again. Local sheriff went to the shop, cleaned out and gone when I called the company they told me that was my problem. POS company
We had a Generac at work that didn't produce any power. They didn't sell parts and it ended up at the dump.
Had our Generac 20kw since 2009. I did have to spend money on it this Spring. It’s been a good unit.
I think Generac makes pretty good generators, but there are going to be lemons sometimes. It’s how the company deals with the customer that gets a lemon that defines the company. Generac is a real piece of sh;it company
A good long lasting backup generator has more to do with a strong history of preventative maintenance than anything else.
Originally Posted by JeffA
A good long lasting backup generator has more to do with a strong history of preventative maintenance than anything else.

Yep.

You gotta run them regularly.
Originally Posted by JeffA

Yep but if the generator head sucks, then a smoothly running motor is not much help. Most manufacturers have good to excellent engines. The problem come into the electronics and generator head - that is where many fall on their face in the reliability department.
Originally Posted by Mossback
I think Generac makes pretty good generators, but there are going to be lemons sometimes. It’s how the company deals with the customer that gets a lemon that defines the company. Generac is a real piece of sh;it company

IMHO A great machine that doesn't have factory backing isn't worth much.
© 24hourcampfire