Originally Posted by SamOlson
Small tiger but still a little nasty.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

See a doctor.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Tiger? What is that?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Good picture Sam.
We had one form like that right over the Ranch here about 20 years ago. Dumped so much Golf ball sized hail on us it was stacked 8” high in the bar ditch.
Our wheat crop was about a month from harvest. The field afterwards looked like I had run a mower with the blades 2” high across it. No crop left whatsoever.
It also killed 23 of the neighbors cows.
The same storm turned into a tornado after the hail. It headed to Ft Worth and wiped out part of its downtown area.

Weird part was right before that storm hit, it was real green clouds before they turned black like that.
Also, I saw 5 storm chaser vehicles go right by the Ranch on the Farm to Market road that fronts our place. I’d never seen storm chasers in that area before. I rode out that storm in a Tractor I was in getting ready to plant cotton in one of our other fields.
Couldn’t get out, and couldn’t see through the hail good enough to make it to the barn. Hail beat the schitt out of that JD. Scary place to be in a storm like that. 🤠
Posted By: slumlord Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Make a margarita with dat sheeit
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Luckily I don't think there was enough of them to cause massive destruction. But of course these little storms are very localized.

The wind though was wicked, I'm worried about crops laying down and lodging.

I haven't cut any hay yet and there was some prime hay barley that was ready to go.

We'll take the rain though, what didn't wash down the creeks anyway.
Oh my heavens.

Posted By: Judman Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Great pic Samuel! 👊🏻 Never seen hail anywhere near that big, only the size of pellets in this country thank god. Stay safe brother 👊🏻
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22

The drive home was rather loud....lol

They weren’t kidding, everything is bigger in Tejas!
Jim, hope you guys get rain and no white chit!

Geno, there were people(drunk?) out running around town, WTF?!

Flave, hahaha!

Simon, those little orange and red(and pink) spots on the radar.

C, that's crazy chit, we dodged a similar storm to yours last June. Stripped the trees and killed deer and some cows. Birds suffered badly.

Slum, wish I had the tequila!

Jud, mostly pea size. And the midwest guys will laugh at what I had in my hand. And that's okay, I don't want to ever see tennis or baseball sized chit or worse!

Jack, yeehaw!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
70 miles west were we need a stock dam filling gully washer, there appears to be hope.

Pinky is headed straight for the cow pastures.

Posted By: Tarkio Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Had a pretty good one a couple nights ago. Lot of hail not quite that big here. Few likes down the river it was golf balls up to racquet ball size.

We dimpled up some outfits. Busted windshield on a pickup. Dimpled up roof of trailer. Worried we might have totaled our camper. Doesn’t take much to do that with a camper.

We’ve had worse. Have tornado watches tonight and severe storm warnings. Hoping it steers clear.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by deflave

See a doctor.

Hahaha. Tff. Winner winner...
Sam, thanks for the great pic. It's been really way too freaking long.

We are so dry here in W Texas we would even welcome a little white stuff, in fact, a whole lot of little white stuff.
Tarkio, I heard about a couple bad storms down south. You guys have been getting some moisture. We were getting pretty dry up here.

Jag, that was a funny one!
(chitty phone pic, I need to get another real camera)
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Yikes! One hell of a storm! That one missed us down here.
Posted By: JOG Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Oh my heavens.

Dang, right at rush hour too.
Oh my heavens.

Dayom Sam, you coulda stopped under that overpass and claimed you just ran out of gas. Sheesh.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
That's what happens when God calls room service for a bucket of ice.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Sammo, ours was pea sized down here but there was flash flooding downtown and 3 inches of the hail on my deck.
Wild weather gentlemen!

There appeared to be a storm that just hit the main campgrounds of the fancy Governor's Cup walleye tournament that is currently in pre-fish mode. This afternoon quite a few shiny, new, SUV's with ND plates passed me when I was hauling a load of big fat dry cows over to Glasgow. Bakken babes in new Yukon's and chit.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
That’s the worst kid of moisture to get Sam. We had some golfball to tennis ball stuff a couple weeks ago. Put some pretty good pecker tracks in my Ford, $3800 worth unfortunately. No worries though, right after I got the estimate and turned in the insurance claim I hit a deer. 🤦‍♂️
Posted By: DMc Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Good picture Sam.
We had one form like that right over the Ranch here about 20 years ago. Dumped so much Golf ball sized hail on us it was stacked 8” high in the bar ditch.
Our wheat crop was about a month from harvest. The field afterwards looked like I had run a mower with the blades 2” high across it. No crop left whatsoever.
It also killed 23 of the neighbors cows.
The same storm turned into a tornado after the hail. It headed to Ft Worth and wiped out part of its downtown area.

Weird part was right before that storm hit, it was real green clouds before they turned black like that.
Also, I saw 5 storm chaser vehicles go right by the Ranch on the Farm to Market road that fronts our place. I’d never seen storm chasers in that area before. I rode out that storm in a Tractor I was in getting ready to plant cotton in one of our other fields.
Couldn’t get out, and couldn’t see through the hail good enough to make it to the barn. Hail beat the schitt out of that JD. Scary place to be in a storm like that. 🤠

Neal that storm killed 5 people. It went right over my house.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Wild weather gentlemen!

There appeared to be a storm that just hit the main campgrounds of the fancy Governor's Cup walleye tournament that is currently in pre-fish mode. This afternoon quite a few shiny, new, SUV's with ND plates passed me when I was hauling a load of big fat dry cows over to Glasgow. Bakken babes in new Yukon's and chit.

I fished that fancy tournament for 23 years in a row. Opted out this year due to some family business that conflicted with the date.

There has been some impressive storms there through the years.

Two years ago one blew the roof off a cabin near the Duck Creek boat ramp.

Good timing, looks like storms have been rolling through every day this week. Heard 69 mph winds today.
Posted By: Nestucca Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Wicked cool photo
Posted By: hatari Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Years ago when I was at Auburn we had a Spring storm with hail up to softball size! Most of it was golfball and grape sized, but there were some baseball/softball giants falling from the sky. Jacked up some roofs.

It put a beat down on the cars. The entire inventory of the local Chevy dealer was destroyed. 1 year back up at the local body shops for repair.

Buddy of mine saved one of the softball sized stones in his freezer for years to disbelievers. I can't imagine getting that in the head.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Sam, very nice of you to give Marty McFly safe haven from the storm.
Was he helping navigate?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
An old friend that owns Dynamic Hunting south of San Angelo, TX., was caught out in a hail storm, nothing to hide under. Nearly beat to death with baseball + size hail. I saw a couple of pictures of his back and what it did to his Nissan SUV. Back about 25 years ago.
Hope mother nature didn't cost you any money Sam.

I lived near Boise 2 1/2 years and never saw anything that resembled a storm < just saying, dry as a popcornfort.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
caught out in a hail storm, nothing to hide under. Nearly beat to death with baseball + size hail. I saw a couple of pictures of his back and what it did to his Nissan SUV.
Was he not near his Nissan? confused
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Damn dude, those are some big hailstones y'all are talking about.

Biggest I've seen around here are quarters sized, maybe a bit larger.

Came home from work when I was up in E WA one evening, home was an RV. The hail had busted up the plastic roof vents. I found out they made metal ones, which seemed like a good idea in hail territory. Prolly (some dudes don't use that word laugh ) should replace the one in the cargo trailer out front with a metal version.

Stay safe out there.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Any report of damage today Sam?

Saw a tornado warning or watch for south of the river last night.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by ol_mike
caught out in a hail storm, nothing to hide under. Nearly beat to death with baseball + size hail. I saw a couple of pictures of his back and what it did to his Nissan SUV.
Was he not near his Nissan? confused

No he was not near the Nissan, he laid under a tiny bush that offered next to nothing for protection. He said if he'd have been hit in the head by one of the big hail stones it would have killed him.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Sam;
Morning my friend, I'm guessing you're making an inspection of the crops about now so I hope it's not too bad.

One of the pivotal reasons we left the farm was an old fashioned hail storm like that. Our home place was fine, but we saw the clouds to the north of us where our rented land was and held our breath.

That evening already we heard one calf had died - panicked and ran down the fence, collapsed and then the combination of the frozen hail and cold must have killed it. A few folks lost poultry too and in the little town near by all the windows on the south and west sides of the houses were broken. Remember aluminum siding? That was wrecked too.

Anyways we went to look at our 9 rented quarters and what had been Canola nearly 4' high on a couple of them looked like a freshly cut golf course. Funny it smelled like fresh cut hay too Sam.

We disked it under so there was more fuel and labor cost out for nothing in return - which was the way that year went and at the end of it my wife and I moved to BC.

I do hope your crops are okay and all the livestock as well.

All the best until next time Sam.

Dwayne
Gentlemen, checking in quick and am happy to report minimal damage, apparently we were right on the edge.

The storm headed south of us across the Missouri and wiped out crops down that way.
And thank you all for the replies!
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22

I was on jury duty in downtown FW on that day, I literally exited the downtown area just a few minutes before it hit. I remember it was real black and nasty looking off to the west. It blew out the windows in our jury deliberation room.
Posted By: Old__School Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Well it has got be man made climate change ..... don't you know?
(sarcasm)
(sarcasm)

Just to be sure here on the 'Fire, my climate change comment is meant to be sarcastic.

These storms cause massive damage ..... hope it didn't do too much damage to crops or property.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

I was on jury duty in downtown FW on that day, I literally exited the downtown area just a few minutes before it hit. I remember it was real black and nasty looking off to the west. It blew out the windows in our jury deliberation room.

Yep. I remember seeing that on the National News that night.
Seems that all of the big storms that form around here head east towards DFW.
Posted By: SKane Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Gentlemen, checking in quick and am happy to report minimal damage, apparently we were right on the edge.

The storm headed south of us across the Missouri and wiped out crops down that way.

Good to hear, Sam.
The first shot you posted is rather sinister looking - cool capture.
Posted By: kingston Re: Eye of the Tiger - 07/07/22
Glad to hear you made it through with limited damage Sam.
I guess it got pretty nasty about 10 miles south, took out windows, and just devastated crops.

Very thankful.

Couple more days of possible severe storms in the forecast and then I NEED to start cutting hay, it's all ready now but I'm too chicken to knock any down.
I could use some rain Sam.....cut away!
hahaha!

I'm worried the fricken hoppers are gonna get it all before the swather has a chance!

Looks like you guys are in the bullseye for the next couple nights. Hope it's liquid form and not ice.
Yep. Weevils and hoppers are taking a terrible toll this year. (not whining)

We got a couple tenths last night.

Branded today. Not a bad day.

Hope you get er in the stack.
© 24hourcampfire