Home
Posted By: mjbgalt In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Got admitted. Getting platelets due to a covid side effect. Apparently was so low that cutting myself would have been the last thing I did. Had a purple rash that turned out to be really serious.

Gotta give props to doc rocket. I messaged him with a couple questions and he said get my ass to the ER which I did.

They stabbed like nine times to find veins and then double checked to make sure the numbers really were that bad. They were.

They are currently trying to find platelets because there is a shortage.

I feel fine but obviously it's damn serious.

Got a good wife and family and friends texting me and loving me.

Y'all go do some fun schit for me. smile

If any of you get a purple rash, get your ass to the ER fast. I still got docs peeking in and asking to see it and discuss it. Apparently a weird and rare side effect of my immune system killing my own blood cells.
Posted By: DMc Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Prayers coming. Get over this soon!
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
I’m sending my prayers from here. Thank God you got good advice from Doc but that doesn’t surprise me. He’s definitely one of the good guys and one that I’d want on “my team”.

Did you get the vaccine? Have you had covid and if so how severe was it for you?

Wishing you all the best.
Posted By: Ringman Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Well, my.com friend, prayers are on the way for you.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Oh man,
I'm o neg, you need need anything I can give ?
Stay positive, you'll be ok.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Originally Posted by DMc

This, and Amen.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’m sending my prayers from here. Thank God you got good advice from Doc but that doesn’t surprise me. He’s definitely one of the good guys and one that I’d want on “my team”.

Did you get the vaccine? Have you had covid and if so how severe was it for you?

Yes I did have covid two weeks ago but no vaccine. Got thru with ivermectin and zinc and ibuprofen. Covid caused my immune system to overreact and kill my own blood cells.

Thanks for the prayers.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Oh man,
I'm o neg, you need need anything I can give ?
Stay positive, you'll be ok.

Thanks man. Have had three people offer already. Pretty humbling.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

This. Doc R has saved many people from dying.

Dayom, too bad the fughker wasnt perfect like so many Fire guys are.
My covid was semi-serious. It smacked me good for a week and my temp got to 102.3 and I credit the ivermectin for bringing it down.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Get well soon...mb
Posted By: hookeye Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
My immune system went haywire w rash, hives all over for a month plus. Then a lesser type. Still flares once in a while ( have allergies anyway ).

Skin is still not right from that gook flu chit making my iimmune system pissed off.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
God's speed sir and thank you for posting. I understand the "Covid is a scam don't get suckered into complying" anger that is so common. I can also tell you that my wife's medical practice this past Friday and again last Tuesday couldn't open because they did not have enough Covid free staff to function. First time in over 2 1/2 years of this outbreak that has happened.

This latest variant is really contagious.

"They are currently trying to find platelets because there is a shortage."

Very frustrating times to be a patient or provider. Personally I'm going to start wearing an N 95 again when I have close contact.

Prayers offered for a full and speedy recovery.
Posted By: rainshot Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Pray for your recovery.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
They'll get you fixed. Hang in there.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Originally Posted by DMc

This.

You’ve had a rough go mjbgalt. Hoping for a complete recovery.
Now would be a good time for anyone to donate some blood. Supplies of it are low.
I'm ok, really. I mean it's serious but I am feeling ok and there are a lot of people in a lot worse shape in here with me.

Just trying to keep it light and making my nurse laugh.

It's a weekend and so I won't be missing work. And it's relaxing to watch a ball game in bed.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
I hope you have a full recovery post haste.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
God's speed sir and thank you for posting. I understand the "Covid is a scam don't get suckered into complying" anger that is so common. I can also tell you that my wife's medical practice this past Friday and again last Tuesday couldn't open because they did not have enough Covid free staff to function. First time in over 2 1/2 years of this outbreak that has happened.

Very frustrating times to be a patient or provider. Personally I'm going to start wearing an N 95 again when I have close contact.

I fully believe it's real. But the government reaction to it is a scam. It's all a mechanism to remove trump and lock the economy and sell vaccines to children.

However, if you're sick, you're sick. And I am. Can't complain. These medical people have been working their ass off.
Sounds like a good time to grow a beard cool
Posted By: ackleydave Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Now would be a good time for anyone to donate some blood. Supplies of it are low.

Donated the other night and their was just one other person donating. Wish more people would give.
Sorry to hear you’re under the weather. Prayer sent for a rapid recovery.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
I’m guessing “Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura”. Yeah, I had to get them to say it 3 times when I was diagnosed with it in 1996. Mine was caused by the flu.

The platelets are just to get you back level. For me, the tx was gammaglobulin to try to reboot my immune system. IV. Takes about 8 hours. I had it 5 times. Didn’t work.

Someone else I know had it and it was managed with steroids, Prednisone, I think, with the usual side-effects of steroids. I didn’t get that treatment.

Eventually, the only option was to take out my spleen, which was what was in overdrive (spleen is 1/3 of your immune system). Worked like a charm and honestly, have never looked back. In fact, my WBC is still higher than normal and I either don’t get sick or shake it off fast. Never even had a cold the first 7 years after.

Good luck with it. It’s rare but they know how to treat it. Just might take time to figure what works for you.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Hang tough, MJB.

Dude, no schit...I am not allowed to shave. Or floss. Or eat anything sharp like chips. Because they may not be able to stop the bleeding.

So I can lay around and be hairy and have dirty teef. Lol
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Good luck and get well soon!!!
Posted By: Mackey Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
I’m due to give a pint. O+. But send me name etc and I’ll do it in your honor. You’ll be getting some damn good blood. Probably still has a little Jack Daniels in it too! Take care!

Mackey.
Posted By: hookeye Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

I fully believe it's real. But the government reaction to it is a scam. It's all a mechanism to remove trump and lock the economy and sell vaccines to children.

However, if you're sick, you're sick. And I am. Can't complain. These medical people have been working their ass off.

My view as well.
Hope they patch ya up quick so you can get back at it 👍
Posted By: wabigoon Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Praying for you, get well soon.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Praying for you, get well soon.
Thanks guys. Have had several people offer to donate platelets. My support system is strong. And other than being tired I feel ok. I feel like I should be visiting some other people in here and trying to help. Can't believe how short staffed they are and how many people are sleeping on the floor waiting for rooms. Crazy
I had hepatitis in College and have not been able to donate blood since then. I always hated needles so in a way that was almost a relief, "Yeah I'd really like to help out with this blood drive but but sorry not safe...".

For anyone that isn't restricted from doing so it's a really good karma civic minded thing to do. Plus there is free juice and cookies.
Originally Posted by hookeye

My view as well.

COVID-19 is a man made virus developed illegally as a weapon of war by Zero, Gates, Fauki and the NWO cabal to kill the elderly. It was released to cause total lockdowns for years and starvation and anarchy to allow the typical communist plan of stepping in and offering an end to starvation if their plan was accepted, a chicken in every pot, just as was done in Hungary and Cuba, to put the Proletariat in power.

This time they planned on putting the WEF Cabal in power where they would own all and the folks would have food and like it or else.

Trump was the monkey wrench that derailed the plan. Now they are trying to resurrect their Agenda 2030 plan.

Its not going to fly. Trump, by GOD, and the Patriots are why.
Apparently giving platelets is a pain in the ass and takes a while. Not like giving blood. I dunno the details but that's what I was told
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by hookeye

My view as well.

COVID-19 is a man made virus developed illegally as a weapon of war by Zero, Gates, Fauki and the NWO cabal to kill the elderly. It was released to cause total lockdowns for years and starvation and anarchy to allow the typical communist plan of stepping in and offering an end to starvation if their plan was accepted, a chicken in every pot, just as was done in Hungary and Cuba, to put the Proletariat in power.

This time they planned on putting the WEF Cabal in power where they would own all and the folks would have food and like it or else.

Trump was the monkey wrench that derailed the plan. Now they are trying to resurrect their Agenda 2030 plan.

Its not going to fly. Trump and the Patriots are why.

That explanation works too.
I had hepatitis in College and have not been able to donate blood since then. I always hated needles so in a way that was almost a relief, "Yeah I'd really like to help out with this blood drive but but sorry not safe...".

For anyone that isn't restricted from doing so it's a really good karma civic minded thing to do. Plus there is free juice and cookies.

Yeah I hate needles too and I got to make friends with a whole bunch of them in here.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Apparently giving platelets is a pain in the ass and takes a while. Not like giving blood. I dunno the details but that's what I was told

That’s true.

Yeah I hate needles too and I got to make friends with a whole bunch of them in here.

My wife walked past a room where I was having blood drawn. She stopped pointed and asked, "Why are you using that pediatric size needle?". The lab tech who was a friend said, "for the patient's comfort now go away!".

Word spread though, the next time I had blood drawn one of the medical assistants chased out into the parking lot after me loudly saying, "Wait we found the Snoopy Band-Aids and you didn't get your lolly pop!".

Just like Rodney Dangerfield, "I get no respect!".
Posted By: Valsdad Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Good luck and get well soon!!!
Ditto MJB
Posted By: Valsdad Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22

My wife walked past a room where I was having blood drawn. She stopped pointed and asked, "Why are you using that pediatric size needle?". The lab tech who was a friend said, "for the patient's comfort now go away!".

Word spread though, the next time I had blood drawn one of the medical assistants chased out into the parking lot after me loudly saying, "Wait we found the Snoopy Band-Aids and you didn't get your lolly pop!".

Just like Rodney Dangerfield, "I get no respect!".

One of my eye docs gives me Superman or Spiderman band aids.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Prayers for healing, comforting, and strength.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Prayers Sent for Healing !
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Hope you get over this roadblock soon.

Since i got remodeled 4 years ago i can't give blood because i can't make enough for me.
Posted By: Seafire Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Got admitted. Getting platelets due to a covid side effect. Apparently was so low that cutting myself would have been the last thing I did. Had a purple rash that turned out to be really serious.

Gotta give props to doc rocket. I messaged him with a couple questions and he said get my ass to the ER which I did.

They stabbed like nine times to find veins and then double checked to make sure the numbers really were that bad. They were.

If any of you get a purple rash, get your ass to the ER fast. I still got docs peeking in and asking to see it and discuss it. Apparently a weird and rare side effect of my immune system killing my own blood cells.

prayers for a good outcome and thankful you got yourself down to be looked at, and followed Doc Rocket's advise, instead of trying to be machoman and tough it out...We've lost ENOUGH good people in the last couple of years because of that Chink produced crap...
Originally Posted by Seafire

prayers for a good outcome and thankful you got yourself down to be looked at, and followed Doc Rocket's advise, instead of trying to be machoman and tough it out...We've lost ENOUGH good people in the last couple of years because of that Chink produced crap...

Lol don't tell people I'm a good guy. Ruin my rep...
I ALMOST blew it off, because it was "just a rash." Damn glad I didn't because that could/would have been the last bad decision I made.
Posted By: slumlord Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22

Dude, no schit...I am not allowed to shave. Or floss. Or eat anything sharp like chips. Because they may not be able to stop the bleeding.

So I can lay around and be hairy and have dirty teef. Lol
I hated that

They wouldn’t let me shave in the hospital. My INR was too high. Too high because they had me loaded up medical grade rodenticide🤪 aka warfarin. Had me on that for ease of perfusion.

I got a dumb tech to give me a cheapie. I shaved right after shift change. Haha take that ya sheepish bastards. My nurse looked like Taylor Swift. I enjoyed the scolding
Man dies from flossing his teeth.... I knew about the no shaving thing but tooth flossing? Can you imagine the obituary? Sadly mjbgalt passed away, but he did still have great teeth. His dentist was very proud and spoke at great length about the importance and benefits of good oral hygiene during the eulogy wink

I like your plan to make the nurses laugh. The ones still showing up for work deserve all the appreciation they can get.

It recently took me 2 weeks to get an MRI. Great news no tumor. I managed to become profoundly deaf in my left ear with out some kind of growth causing it. I ended up with a hearing aid that transmits sound into the right aid like a radio repeater.... it helps

The bad news was I'm pretty sure the young girl they first sent to draw blood before I was cleared for the dye they need to use was attempting (badly) to draw blood from an actual human for the first time. It took a long time, it hurt and she didn't get enough to run the test. The lab person came out 20 minutes later saying they needed more blood. I asked if she was any good at getting it. She was an apologized for, "the new girl".
Posted By: CCCC Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
mjbgalt, I appreciate your posting - and your great attitude - but even in my ignorance this seems to be a serious situation. I am praying for your early receipt of the needed platelets and the crisis being put down, and your quick return to your family and normal pursuits.

Given your comments and others in this thread - and the shortage - am gong to find out how I can donate platelets. "They" may not let it proceed due to some things I've experienced, but it sure is worth the try.

Best wishes - get well soon.

I'm not a Trump as a person but agree with most of his policies and I'm in total agreement with your accessment above. It seems to be spot on from what we've witnessed.

I've had covid 3 times and am getting over it now with pretty mild symptoms, but no fever or lung mucus at all. Guess I'm lucky. Hope you recover fully and pull out of this xenophobia flu.
Posted By: kandpand Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Praying
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Get well soon so you can back to the things you want!
I sleep like crap if I am not at home, usually. So I got three hours of sleep in little bits. Woke me up to draw more blood. I gotta be running out by now lol

Watching the sun come up and have a fishing show on TV.

The blood draw seems to have clotted quicker than before so hopefully that bag of platelets helped.

Supposed to have two more bags but still nada on that.

Thanks to you guys who volunteered their blood, that's above and beyond.

They're taking good care of me here but it just ain't home.
Posted By: rong Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Best of luck with this,it's very interesting so thanks in advance for taking us along.
Another reason to enjoy "The Far" getting real life info on a variety of subjects.
Plus another thumbs up for Doc Rocket.
Posted By: Deans Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Prayers sent. Get well soon. Take it easy on the nurses grin grin
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Good luck!
My platelet number is 5. It is supposed to be a minimum of 150.

But it's five, up from one. So I am counting it as a win and waiting on another bag if they can find one.
Posted By: SKane Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Holy hell. Hang in there, man!
Did they, by chance, do a bone marrow biopsy? They did me, just to be sure it wasn’t leukemia. Hurt like hell - corkscrew like medical/torture device screwed into my pelvis.

Luckily, when I had this, the local cancer specialist was on call that weekend. Saved a lot of time diagnosing.
Bag hooked up. Platelets appeared from somewhere. Gonna kick ass and see when they let me go home.
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Did they, by chance, do a bone marrow biopsy? They did me, just to be sure it wasn’t leukemia. Hurt like hell - corkscrew like medical/torture device screwed into my pelvis.

Luckily, when I had this, the local cancer specialist was on call that weekend. Saved a lot of time diagnosing.

They mentioned it and I firmly said do everything else first. I had a bone marrow transplant at age 12 and I do not recall anything ever hurting like that.

I think we see if the levels come up and if they do, all my other numbers were good. I don't think we need to go looking for more causes if there aren't any.
Posted By: KFWA Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
son got a strange rash a few weeks back but no other symptoms. He went to the doctor and they said it was probably a flare up of chicken pox. He is 24.

they gave him some steroids and it went away in a few days.

Hope you get on the right track fast
Posted By: Strider1 Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Best wishes and prayers for you sir.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
My covid was semi-serious. It smacked me good for a week and my temp got to 102.3 and I credit the ivermectin for bringing it down.
Give Benadryl a try should there be a next time. I wouldn't replace the Ivermectin and do it early should there be a next time. Hang in there, we are praying for your recovery. We don't want to lose you from the 'fire.

kwg
Posted By: 4xbear Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Hope You are well and home soon!
My doc told me the ivermectin doesn't help covid. I decided to just not bother explaining why he is a CDC worshipping idiot.

He is a deer hunter and generally good guy. He just needs to question things more.
Two more bags in me. The vampires are gonna come again and let me know my blood numbers.
11 sticks so far. Lol very bruised. They are getting me some numbers now
Posted By: sidepass Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
Prayers for your health and good numbers.
Ok. Number is now 18. Which is still wayyy low but a huge improvement. This may be a years long or even life long. Just get my oil checked every few months and always have to keep an eye on it
That’s what I decided once I was stable. They had me going for blood tests every 2 weeks.

I said to the doc “If I understand this disease correctly, I could go along for years just fine and then suddenly crash.”

He said I was right.

So I said “Then I don’t see any sense in being a pincushion for something that could happen the day after I have a blood test.”

End of tests. I still get my yearly bloods done and everything is fine, except a higher than normal WBC count.
Well I will keep an eye on it. I guess some people never get over it and end up on disability. Who the heck knows.
Family came to visit. Made sure to tell me I should have got the vaccine.

Union democrats, all.

Gee thanks. But the facts are that the vaccines also cause this.

Sigh. Be nice to have some support instead of getting told I deserve it.
Posted By: splattermatic Re: In the hospital... - 07/09/22
I'm here for ya.
Wife and I haven't taken any jabs, so if something happens, we'll deserve it too !!
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
I am out of the danger area where I would bleed out. Numbers are 18, they will let me go home at 50.

Will draw more blood in the morning to see how I am retaining the platelets they gave me
Did not realize it but I was a day or two away from not being here and had no warning but a rash.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
That's serious stuff, man. I hope you regain your health and vitality completely, and quickly. Best wishes.
👍
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
More Prayers sent from TX. Hope you get out of the Hospital soon !
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Mjbgalt: Get better quick - we need you around here.
I'll do a gunshow for you tomorrow.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mjbgalt: Get better quick - we need you around here.
I'll do a gunshow for you tomorrow.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Find me something good smile
Doc rocket was nice enough not to tell me how dire my situation was until I was safely admitted lol

Any virus could set your immune system off and cause it to start zapping good cells.

Pretty scary and not much warning.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Praying for you, get well soon.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: kenacp Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Prayers sent for a quick recovery!
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Doc rocket was nice enough not to tell me how dire my situation was until I was safely admitted lol

A good doctor has a good poker face. several years ago late at night I just stopped remembering stuff. My wife looked calm but kept me awake for the rest of the night doing mini mental status exam stuff. I later learned she was trying to decide if I needed to be rushed into the ER for the clot busting drug.

She waited until morning then got me into an MRI machine where nothing bad was found. My vision had lost a line on the eye chart. With consults she figured out what it was but it took her a few days to explain how scared she had been.

This most often happens to people over 50 and can be really scary.... I'll always be grateful she "looked calm" while I had no clue what was happening to me. The memory hole lasted maybe 4 or 5 hours.

Transient global amnesia

Overview

Transient global amnesia is a sudden, temporary episode of memory loss that can't be attributed to a more common neurological condition, such as epilepsy or stroke.

During an episode of transient global amnesia, your recall of recent events simply vanishes, so you can't remember where you are or how you got there. In addition, you may not remember anything about what's happening in the here and now. Consequently, you may keep repeating the same questions because you don't remember the answers you've just been given. You may also draw a blank when asked to remember things that happened a day, a month or even a year ago.

The condition most often affects people in middle or older age. With transient global amnesia, you do remember who you are, and you recognize the people you know well. Episodes of transient global amnesia always improve gradually over a few hours. During recovery, you may slowly begin to remember events and circumstances. Transient global amnesia isn't serious, but it can still be frightening.

Symptoms

Transient global amnesia is identified by its main symptom, which is the inability to form new memories and to recall the recent past. Once that symptom is confirmed, ruling out other possible causes of amnesia is important.

These signs and symptoms must be present to diagnose transient global amnesia:

Sudden onset of memory loss, verified by a witness
Retention of personal identity despite memory loss
Normal cognition, such as the ability to recognize and name familiar objects and follow simple directions
Absence of signs indicating damage to a particular area of the brain, such as limb paralysis, involuntary movement or impaired word recognition
Additional symptoms and history that may help diagnose transient global amnesia:

Duration of no more than 24 hours and generally shorter
Gradual return of memory
No recent head injury
No evidence of seizures during the period of amnesia
No history of active epilepsy
Along with these signs and symptoms, a common feature of transient global amnesia includes repetitive questioning, usually of the same question — for example, "What am I doing here?" or "How did we get here?"

When to see a doctor
Seek immediate medical attention for anyone who quickly goes from normal awareness of present reality to confusion about what just happened. If the person experiencing memory loss is too confused to call an ambulance, call one yourself.

Although transient global amnesia isn't harmful, there's no easy way to distinguish the condition from the life-threatening illnesses that can also cause sudden memory loss.

Causes

The underlying cause of transient global amnesia is unknown. There appears to be a link between transient global amnesia and a history of migraines, though the underlying factors that contribute to both conditions aren't fully understood. Another possible cause is the overfilling of veins with blood due to some sort of blockage or other abnormality with the flow of blood (venous congestion).

While the likelihood of transient global amnesia after these events is very low, some commonly reported events that may trigger it include:

Sudden immersion in cold or hot water
Strenuous physical activity
Sexual intercourse
Medical procedures, such as angiography or endoscopy
Mild head trauma
Acute emotional distress, as might be provoked by bad news, conflict or overwork
Risk factors
Interestingly, high blood pressure and high cholesterol — which are closely linked to strokes —are not risk factors for transient global amnesia. This is probably because transient global amnesia doesn't represent blood vessel diseases of aging. Your sex doesn't seem to affect your risk, either.

The clearest risk factors are:

Age. People age 50 and older have a higher risk of transient global amnesia than do younger people.
History of migraines. If you have migraines, your risk of transient global amnesia is significantly higher than that of someone without migraines.
Complications
Transient global amnesia has no direct complications. It's not a risk factor for stroke or epilepsy. It's possible to have a second episode of transient global amnesia, but it's extremely rare to have more than two.

But, even temporary memory loss can cause emotional distress. If you need reassurance, ask your doctor to go over the results of your neurological exam and diagnostic tests with you.

Prevention

Because the cause of transient global amnesia is unknown and the rate of recurrence is low, there's no real way to prevent the condition.
Up for the 4am blood draw. I got up early, not going to give them the satisfaction of waking me up lol

Aside from boredom and getting stabbed a lot, this has been an ok experience and I am damn glad for it. Could have been much much worse.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
mjbgalt- scary stuff, but looks like you’re doing well and dealing with it. Hang in there…in our thoughts and prayers..
Posted By: kingston Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Up for the 4am blood draw. I got up early, not going to give them the satisfaction of waking me up lol

Aside from boredom and getting stabbed a lot, this has been an ok experience and I am damn glad for it. Could have been much much worse.

I'm glad to hear you're doing better.

Reading through your posts, you've certainly got a good attitude, which is great.
Originally Posted by kingston

Reading through your posts, you've certainly got a good attitude, which is great.

I was on a medication for almost eight years which we finally realized had fouled my moods and almost cost me my marriage. It was needed but we didn't realize the downsides. An accidental missed dose revealed a horrible withdrawal and led to me demanding a different drug. Suddenly my life was a new place and everything was clearer. No depression or anger anymore.

My attitude on here changed too. My posts are happier and I handle life very differently. I have had a lot of medical challenges for age 41, but I find I am a lot more able to navigate things now.

It's been a long road but I am finally on the right one and able to see clearly.
My hospital posts aren't nearly as well-crafted as Shaman's lol

Always something for which to endeavor...
Posted By: Mwbyler Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Wishing you well, at work doing a 12 hour shift and reading your posts makes me count my blessings at 55!
Originally Posted by Mwbyler
Wishing you well, at work doing a 12 hour shift and reading your posts makes me count my blessings at 55!

Glad to be a cautionary tale lol
Platelets are 19, meaning it did not go backward over 24 hours, meaning I am making my own now and not destroying them.

Good to see.

Going to be a couple more days in here and some more bags of fluids and platelets.

They are running out of veins that they can easily find so that's not pleasant but there's a lot worse problems in the world.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts. Just trying to stay positive and not grouchy.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Good news!

Hope you continue to improve!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Awesome to hear, #kickcovidsass.
It was a little weird to have docs coming to look at me and ask questions. One sort of implied they don't see people with levels like mine unless they're basically dying of leukemia. So it was wierd to them for me to be acting normal and having no discomfort yet have dangerously low numbers.

This whole thing has been bizarre. Even the nurses said they would have ignored the rash, never suspecting they would be in danger.

I was on a medication for almost eight years which we finally realized had fouled my moods and almost cost me my marriage. It was needed but we didn't realize the downsides. An accidental missed dose revealed a horrible withdrawal and led to me demanding a different drug. Suddenly my life was a new place and everything was clearer. No depression or anger anymore.

My attitude on here changed too. My posts are happier and I handle life very differently. I have had a lot of medical challenges for age 41, but I find I am a lot more able to navigate things now.

It's been a long road but I am finally on the right one and able to see clearly.

Now if we could just get everyone else property medicated, we'd have a utopia.

Grins.

Now if we could just get everyone else property medicated, we'd have a utopia.

Grins.

I do wonder about that when I encounter someone acting like a crazy or an azzhole. I give them a tiny bit more grace than I used to. You just never know.
It was a little weird to have docs coming to look at me and ask questions. One sort of implied they don't see people with levels like mine unless they're basically dying of leukemia. So it was wierd to them for me to be acting normal and having no discomfort yet have dangerously low numbers.

This whole thing has been bizarre. Even the nurses said they would have ignored the rash, never suspecting they would be in danger.

Could your current condition be related to your previous bout with Leukemia?
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22

Mine was the same. No symptoms at all except for some bruising on my upper arms. Wife noticed it so I called the dr and he suggested a blood test. This was Friday. Saturday morning I got a call from the hospital “Get here now! Don’t drive yourself, don’t cut yourself.”

Turns out the bruises were from my chiropractor, when they cross your arms across to apply pressure. If not for that I might have just dropped over dead out of the blue.

Could your current condition be related to your previous bout with Leukemia?

Um. Nope.
Need better cable around here. Bout outta stuff I ain't seen yet. Maybe nurses with big bewbies who will play cards with me or something.

Just don't wanna hear em bitch when I poker lol
Posted By: CCCC Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Good to hear about the improvement - keep it going. All best wishes.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Well heck! Keep getting better for sure. You dodged the bullet this time.
Numbers are 43. Doc says go home tomorrow on pills and keep an eye on levels for a few months. Whew.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
I've got the opposite problem. My platelet count hit 660,000 before the doc put me on medication to get it back down. It was 220,000 last time I got a count. I've got to go back in a couple of weeks to get it checked again.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Numbers are 43. Doc says go home tomorrow on pills and keep an eye on levels for a few months. Whew.

Great news. PTL
Apparently it could come back anytime. So I will have to have blood draws every few months for...maybe forever...I dunno. But it beats the hell out of buying a casket which we almost had to do.

Still sinking in how close this was.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: In the hospital... - 07/10/22
Hospitals suck
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Hospitals suck

Usually would agree but they took great care of me
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: In the hospital... - 07/11/22
Three more stabs today and another blown vein. Iv seems to be not working so not sure where we are now. Was told I was going home today but maybe not since we don't have numbers yet.

Holding pattern.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: In the hospital... - 07/11/22
Hospitals are a good place to go when you need one, and a better place to leave.
Going home shortly. Platelets are 67, up from ONE.

Will have to be checked every so often for a long time but it beats not being here, as the doc pointed out.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: In the hospital... - 07/11/22
Glad you are going home!!!
Lol you're just sick of my whiny posts
Posted By: Dutch Re: In the hospital... - 07/11/22
Yeah we are..... but glad you're going to get to keep on doing them!
HOME. Finally. Gotta do some follow-up but like I said...way better than the alternative
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: In the hospital... - 08/08/22
Ok, two, two-week follow-ups with the doc. Steroids were making me miserable so he he allowed me to cut the dose a bit which slowed down the platelet building. Was at 149, then 120. But he is happy that I am responding at that rate.

Still watching and continuing the steroids and two week follow-ups.

Will be a few more months of that.

Thanks again guys for your support. Got a ton from family and friends too.

Has resulted in what I hope will be a lifelong change in my perspective...compared to not being here, just about anything else is fixable and not worth getting stirred up about.
Also adopted a pup from the rescue the day after being home. Wife took pity on my bruised and tired self and couldn't say no to the cute little puppy.

I kinda told a fib. Said I needed puppy therapy and she didn't know I intended to bring one home smile

Daisy has grown a ton in the past month and knows lots of commands and is doing awesome for being 16 weeks old.

Me being off work a while was good, as I was able to spend a lot of time training her.

I got back to work and they immediately told me they were thinking of letting me go.

I said "huh?!"

They then came back to me later saying never mind, they would find stuff for me to do.

I was annoyed and hurt by their lack of loyalty until lunch time when my phone rang, telling me a local gunshop had seen my resume and a friend who worked there had gotten me in.

So the guy who couldn't shave now sells knives for them along with safes and Scopes and air guns.

More money good hours and a hell of a discount smile

Your prayers must have worked on more than the health, I guess.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: In the hospital... - 08/08/22
Shouldn't there be at least 3 zero's behind that platelet number? My buddy's 15 yr old son has been fighting it for 2 years. Hopefully he can play football this year. Kid has still grown like a weed. They're still not sure what's causing it. Did they give you a dx? ITP?

Keep up the good fight and let the wife know that if you get cranky, it's just the 'roids talkin'. wink
Yes, my count was one thousand. Should be 150,000 at minimum
Yes ITP
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: In the hospital... - 08/08/22
Hang in there!

Get well quick!
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: In the hospital... - 08/09/22
God is good. Great news Sir
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: In the hospital... - 09/19/22
Still doing blood draws every other week. My numbers are finally back to normal levels and we are working on getting me off the steroids. Nasty side effects from those.

Will be nice to sleep normally again.

As I understand it, I have a 50/50 chance of this happening again in the future.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: In the hospital... - 09/19/22
Thoughts and prayers for you from Iowa.
Posted By: thumbcocker Re: In the hospital... - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by DMc

This, and Amen.
+1
Posted By: earlybrd Re: In the hospital... - 09/19/22
Prayers from earlybrd
Posted By: mark shubert Re: In the hospital... - 09/19/22
Still doing blood draws every other week. My numbers are finally back to normal levels and we are working on getting me off the steroids. Nasty side effects from those.

Will be nice to sleep normally again.

As I understand it, I have a 50/50 chance of this happening again in the future.
Prayers sent on your behalf.
Yes, 'roids are nasty.
Often cause weight gain, that seems to be irreversible, for one.
Bad attitude, also - but that seems somewhat temporary.

Hopefully, you're on the right side of the 50/50.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: In the hospital... - 09/19/22

I'll bet $10 against you. That should just about guarantee the optimum outcome for you. This is how things go for me, and someone else may as well benefit.

smile
Posted By: superlight17b Re: In the hospital... - 09/19/22
That sounds like a hell of a thing,hope you re well soon.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: In the hospital... - 09/19/22
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I'll bet $10 against you. That should just about guarantee the optimum outcome for you. This is how things go for me, and someone else may as well benefit.

smile

Hah! That's what I tell my wife, my odds are usually bad but if we play it right...and she bets against me, we win
© 24hourcampfire