Home
Posted By: bigsqueeze Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Had alot fun over the weekend riding around on my buddy's 2020 Vespa 300 GTS....Quite a zippy little scooter, fun and a breeze to operate. Twist and go CVT auto trans. These things are not exactly in-expensive either for a new one let alone for a good used one. Vespas have that retro appeal I guess.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Scooters are likes fat chicks... Fun to ride but you wouldn't be caught dead on one.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
I have a Yamaha Vino 125cc used it when I was Camp hosting in the state park and riding around the lake.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Scooters are likes fat chicks... Fun to ride but you wouldn't be caught dead on one.
.................Never had a fat chick and I'm still breathin.........LOL
Posted By: ironbender Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Hahahahahaha!

Good one! Did you come up with that?
lololol
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Na, that goes way backs...
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
scooters are for girls at the mall & starbucks

no buddy rides 'em here

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: losttrail60 Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Only in CA or FL would a grown man even think about riding a scooter.
Posted By: Ptarmigan Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
No scooters, but I picked up one of these cheap Chinese mini bikes last week for my boys. They had fun mobbing around the beaches in Homer with it.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
No scooters, but I picked up one of these cheap Chinese mini bikes last week for my boys. They had fun mobbing around the beaches in Homer with it.

Same here. I bought a pair of the original style Coleman red minibikes for my kids and they love ‘em.

I played around on them a couple of times and bought a Harley that I’m still learning how to ride. Note to self keep ape hangers well clear of mirrors…
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Chicks dig it??
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
The first rule of Flight Club is...
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Didn't Flave have one?
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Can use them for carting the Creedmore to the range.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Bigsqueeze: Unlike some on this post I have complete control of my ego!
Fun is fun - it does not need to be on a "hog" to enjoy the wind in the hair!
I and the VarmintWife bought a Yamaha "Zuma" several years ago and we just love it.
The VarmintChildren and VarmintGrandChildren just love to ride it when they come to visit as well.
It is dependable and a blast to ride here on our .7 mile long paved drive.
And on occasion I take it to town zipping along at 32 M.P.H. (thats as fast as I have had it going).
It has been exceptionally dependable and gets 123 M.P.G. (miles per gallon) with its 49 C.C. engine.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Zuma

Yeah I own a scooter - wish I'd bought one sooner.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 358Norma_fan Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Yes, but mine says Harley Davidson on the sides of the fuel tank
Posted By: atvalaska Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Joe soucheray on garage logic has one he loves it
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
I had a scooter years ago. Vespa type but not an actual Vespa. It had a 125 cc motor, and was a very economical way of getting to and from work - I could go all week on less than a gallon of fuel. The downsides were that while it was good on the flat it struggled going up hills - I was living at Bondi Beach in Sydney, and on the hill up out of there I'd be getting passed by everything, including buses. With its little wheels and primitive suspension it also didn't handle like a real bike. Still and all it got me from A to B, and was a lot cheaper to run than my 5.3L Jaguar. More reliable too, truth be told. Not a patch on any of the motorbikes I've owned though.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Yes, but mine says Harley Davidson on the sides of the fuel tank
Mo Chicks like a Harley mo better
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
There's an older couple that ride big Honda scooters to church. They said they will go 60mph, they love them.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Chicks dig it??

It's hard to say if they dig my scooter or my bicycle more.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
I have a Yamaha Majesty now. I've also owned a Honda Silver Wing.

say what you will about them but they have a comfortable ride, zero effort and they have built in storage space.

My Yamaha will go faster than I am comfortable riding, but its not a touring bike. Its for a quick run to the store and commuting to work. That's what its all about, I'm not trying to impress anyone with what I ride.

I think the Burgman is the standard, but the Yamaha is a competent bike.
Posted By: efw Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by KFWA
I have a Yamaha Majesty now. I've also owned a Honda Silver Wing.

say what you will about them but they have a comfortable ride, zero effort and they have built in storage space.

I could go for one of those it’d make the ride to work kinda fun.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
I picked this one up in March, 5500, miles for $2500. 400cc. I think its a 2008 model

I put a trickle charger connector on the battery and added a usb port for charging. Its good to go. I think its gets about 65mpg.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Stopped in Crete on the way back from Iraq. Rented a scooter for the day to see the island. Had a blast!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by blairvt
Stopped in Crete on the way back from Iraq. Rented a scooter for the day to see the island. Had a blast!

Khania? If so, is Dirty Steve's still in operation?
Posted By: blairvt Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by RiverRider

can't remember all that. Wasn't exactly sober
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
I prefer something with a seat belt

and room for a passenger & cooler of beer

Posted By: RiverRider Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by RiverRider

can't remember all that. Wasn't exactly sober

You may well have visited Dirty Steve's, then. LOL
Posted By: go_bears Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
I had a yahama zuma in college when I went to Berkeley. Had it for 4yrs and never had a problem. Would love to get another one for my kids to ride around the neighborhood when they get a little older. For getting around town for small errands They are great. I wouldnt want to one on a major hwy though.
Posted By: deflave Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
If it has two wheels and a motor, it's fun.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Originally Posted by deflave
Ruckus ?
Posted By: Teal Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22

Pretty much this.

Or alternatively - if you can't have fun on something with 2 wheels and an engine - you likely have 90% of the fire on ignore.

Hold into the breeze.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Ruckus ?

Yes the Honda Ruckus has two wheels and a motor.
Originally Posted by Teal

Pretty much this.

Or alternatively - if you can't have fun on something with 2 wheels and an engine - you likely have 90% of the fire on ignore.

Hold into the breeze.

There are so many boring ass people alive today.

Way more than 30 years ago. IMO
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Had an old Honda 50 Express back when I was in my teens. It was a fun little town putter but too slow for much more than a couple mile trip. It also struggled mightily climbing any sort of hill bigger than a pitcher's mound.

My younger brother ended up wrapping it around a car when I was off at college and that was the end of it.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
Bought this used one with 300 miles on it from a college student. I use it more than a horse while moving cows and it goes thru tight spots the ATV won't. The wife uses it to get the mail at the end of the drive and visits to the neighbor farm ladies. Our young niece and nephew fight over it when they visit here. Last time they visited they pitched in and cleaned up all the dirt and cow schidt on it.

I have managed to enjoy about 20 different 2 wheel machines with motors, ranging from 50cc all the way up to 1700. Scooters, dirt bikes, sport bikes and tourers.
Posted By: pappabear Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
LOL...NEVER
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
If you want a scooter with little wheels but without the social stigma of a scooter Honda has just the thing(s), most all with the same 125cc single cylinder air cooled engine. I wouldn't mind a Monkey, they'd be a lot of fun on trails. There are videos of folks going coast to coast or doing a 1000 mile Baja ride on Monkeys. Been following a thread on a motorcycle forum I visit with one guy in New Jersey going on 40-50 mile rides on trails and back roads.

Grom

[Linked Image from powersports.honda.com]

Monkey

Or you can go to full size 17" tires in the Super Cub and/or Trail 125

Or go dirt cheap on the 109cc Navi for $1,807 MSRP.

Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/12/22
They're also reintroducing the Dax (short for Dachshund) or ST125 but only in Europe and Japan so far, no plans to sell it here in the US of A.

[Linked Image from revzilla.com]
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They're also reintroducing the Dax (short for Dachshund) or ST125 but only in Europe and Japan so far, no plans to sell it here in the US of A.

Looks surprisingly like the original Honda Trail 70 model I started out on as a kid.
Posted By: iddave Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
Bought mine new (Yamaha Zuma 125) and it has 10,000 miles on it now. Has long-ago paid for itself in fuel savings at 90 mpg. I look like a drunken circus bear riding it, but I don’t give a chit. Saves on wear and tear of my pickup for short trips to the grocery store and short commutes to work. And yeah…it’s kind of fun to ride.

I’m not even a little ashamed to ride the damn thing..

[img]https://ibb.co/gRk9nj2[/img]

Dave
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
If you want a scooter with little wheels but without the social stigma of a scooter Honda has just the thing(s), most all with the same 125cc single cylinder air cooled engine. I wouldn't mind a Monkey, they'd be a lot of fun on trails. There are videos of folks going coast to coast or doing a 1000 mile Baja ride on Monkeys. Been following a thread on a motorcycle forum I visit with one guy in New Jersey going on 40-50 mile rides on trails and back roads.

These are usually called "postie bikes" here in Oz, because they have for many years been widely used by posties (mail delivery people). They are popular as farm bikes too. Cheap to buy (especially when Australia Post sells them off), cheap to run and simple to maintain. There are even long distance/enduro events especially for them, which seem popular. See https://www.postiebikechallenge.org/.

They aren't bad little jiggers to ride, as long as you aren't in any sort of hurry, but I don't think I'll be lining up for a 2000 mile run through the outback on one.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
The little scooters and mini-motos are fun and easy to ride but they are limited to in-town or dirt road stuff or rural areas with lots of lower speed limit, less traveled back roads.

Have posted this one before but I have a Suzuki TU250X which is a single cylinder, air cooled motorcycle in the style of the classic Universal Japanese Motorcycle. Nice low seat height and relatively low weight so it's nimble as can be. It's a blast to ride around town or even on the 55-60 mph country roads but with a top speed of 75 mph - provided you're on level ground with a good tailwind - freeway riding is hazardous to say the least. But it gets 80 mpg if I flog the hell out of it and up to 90 mpg if I take it easy so it's still pretty economical.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
I've been seriously considering picking up a Trail 125 for buzzing back and forth to work on the cheap with gas prices the way there are, but it is just a bit too slow. If they'd cruise 55mph, I'd probably already have one.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
Some males aren't confident in their manhood, they think a small bike makes them look like a small man. A small bike has nothing to do with that. Small bikes are quiet and can taken along creek-banks and down washes, through thick woods where bigger bikes are too cumbersome.
But then most people have no desire to travel to those places, they can't let go of air-conditioning, a cooler full of food/drinks, zero gravity chair and shade canopy.

Same ones you could hear say''you'll never see me riding a bicycle'' as they take their 'high blood pressure' medication.

Originally Posted by zcm82
I've been seriously considering picking up a Trail 125 for buzzing back and forth to work on the cheap with gas prices the way there are, but it is just a bit too slow. If they'd cruise 55mph, I'd probably already have one.

Many people had these same thoughts back during the obama years, when they figured out that tires only last 9-10K miles and are expensive to change, plus sprockets and more. They realize they didn't save any money by buying a small bike.

During that time you couldn't find a Yamaha TW200, Then used ones were everywhere, and dealerships had two/three year old models unsold, still in the crates.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Looks surprisingly like the original Honda Trail 70 model I started out on as a kid.
Looks like it has the Honda wing on the frame neck. At any rate, you can bet it was pressed from the same dies as the Honda’s were.
Posted By: zcm82 Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by zcm82

Many people had these same thoughts back during the obama years, when they figured out that tires only last 9-10K miles and are expensive to change, plus sprockets and more. They realize they didn't save any money by buying a small bike.

During that time you couldn't find a Yamaha TW200, Then used ones were everywhere, and dealerships had two/three year old models unsold, still in the crates.

I had a Honda VT1300 back then. Sorta regret that one, it wasn't particularly comfortable and was a fuel hungry pig for how slow it was... only averaged about 38mpg with it. I only had it a couple years, and actually haven't acquired another bike since.
Yes, bigger bikes don't seem to get any better fuel economy than small cars.
I have a Yamaha R-1, 1,000cc it gets about the same mileage as your VT did, maybe less, and when being run hard, ? low teens ? mpg.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
The groms are fun little bikes. Seen a couple done up for trail riding that look like they’d be a hoot.
Posted By: Sportsdad60 Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hahahahahaha!

Good one! Did you come up with that?
lololol
The last time I heard that joke Nixon was president.
Posted By: Teal Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Yes, bigger bikes don't seem to get any better fuel economy than small cars.
I have a Yamaha R-1, 1,000cc it gets about the same mileage as your VT did, maybe less, and when being run hard, ? low teens ? mpg.

Wow - I never would have thought an R1 would be that bad.

I get fairly steady between 41 and 46 mpg with my HD, 1868 cc - granted, it never sees the RPM an R1 will but still - volume wise...
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
A few scooter 'n folk here I see......I'm gonna look around for one to buy and have some riding fun with...With scooters the CVT auto transmissions, no shifting, no clutch, with just twist and go is all very appealing..... So far my candidates in no favorite particular order are the Suzuki Burgman 400, Yamaha X Max 300, Piaggio Beverly 400 (Piaggio owns Vespa), and the Vespa 300 GTS for that retro look if I choose that style. 300 to 400cc's imo should make a great combo for city, urban and highway touring use...Don't need a 500+ cc scooter weighing 500+ lbs. Defeats the purpose of what a scooter is imo.
Posted By: DMc Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
Love motorbike threads!

Mine will do 53mph on a windless day, but it'll climb a set of stairs.

This one will easily do hiway speeds and is a kick in the butt.

Got these for the Grandkids

Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
Originally Posted by DMc

I had one of those and I loved it. Hated that I got rid of it. The XL bikes of the 70's were bulletproof.
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by DMc

I had one of those and I loved it. Hated that I got rid of it. The XL bikes of the 70's were bulletproof.
Absolute truth!

One day I was tooling around on it and when I got home I noticed the (highlighted) battery cover was missing. Spent a half a day backtracking my movements and actually found the cover unharmed. I doubt I could have ever found a decent replacement.

Posted By: hanco Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/13/22
I have a knee scooter I used when I broke my ankle.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a knee scooter I used when I broke my ankle.
Gift it to "funshooter". I think he's on his knees constantly....
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Anyone own a scooter? - 07/14/22
My first bike was a scooter '46 Cushman.

Attached picture IMG_2020.jpg
© 24hourcampfire