Home
Our Gemini apple tree needs some fertilizer, we have some left on the farm, it'd think it's DAP.

Call it 18 46 20?

How much do I put on?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Your County Agent should know, Wabi.
Soil test. If your local extension office doesn't offer it, you can mail a sample to a lab or use an at-home test like Luster Leaf's Rapitest Soil Test Kit -- the one with the capsules.
If you use any compost, chances are 18 46 20 will have insufficient nitrogren and far too much additional phosphorous.
This is in NW Ontario. I'll likely just use a pinch of fertilizer, and bit of lime.

Thanks all!
all of it.

a99les 9refer 9otent a99lication
I would be reluctant to give it much fertilizer of any type this time of year. You don't want a bunch of new growth late in the season, even more so with your significant winters.
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I would be reluctant to give it much fertilizer of any type this time of year. You don't want a bunch of new growth late in the season, even more so with your significant winters.
That's kind or my thoughts too Wabi.

Why do you say it needs fertilizer?
Hmm, the Lady at the tree nursey said to fertilize it?
Let it grow a year. Next spring take a small cup of urea and sprinkle it evenly just outside the circumference of the drip line. Most locals use a majority nitrogen based fertilizer for the apple trees. This was recommended by my orchard owning friends.
Forgot to add, encourage the roots to “reach out” for the fertilizer by placing it just outside the drip line.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Hmm, the Lady at the tree nursey said to fertilize it?
Well, following instructions is sometimes a good thing to do. Especially if the Orchard Lady was cute!

Did she recommend a type and amount to fertilize with?
Ya! I second that, IF the orchard lady is HOT! Otherwise go with the folks who know about growing apples. That tree is not old enough this time of year for much of anything except to keep the pestilence at bay!
Yes Geno, she said to go to Canadian Tire, and buy it, but I'm cheap. laugh
I need to go out, and cut some deer fence!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Yes Geno, she said to go to Canadian Tire, and buy it, but I'm cheap. laugh
Call up Canuck Tire and ask them to check the constituent levels and see if you have something similar on hand.

They get paid to answer the phone I think!

And I'm cheap too.
The deal is that fertilizer added too late in the season causes a flush of growth that depletes the coldhardiness of the plant. Growing tips are carbohydrate sinks. Carbs are the antifreeze that makes the buds resistant to cold. The tree looks fine. I would wait until next year.

Give it a pass this year.

In the colder parts of Ontario, shoot for 12" of growth per year. In Iowa, you can shoot for 24". In either case, try to get the fertilizer on the ground before the dandelions bloom. Once the tree is the size you want, you can back off on the fertilizer so the terminal growth is half the values listed.
I would be more concerned about pruning than fertilizer. Those horizontal limbs won’t support a lot of fruit.
I really think your fertilizer of off balance. I would do a 20-20-20 diluted in water. Schultz and Miracle Grow sell it. About ever 3rd day in a gallon of water.

Kwg
What Joe Momma said.

If anything, sprinkle some Epsom salt and water it in to stimulate roots
Epson salt we have.
Only fertilize 1x per year and only when they are in silver tip stage. Use 2# per dwarf tree and 4# per semi dwarf tree of calcium nitrate 15-5-00. Sprinkle ground from base to edge of branches. We have a large orchard and have been doing this for decades. Gary U
Gary, when is "silver tip" stage. Are there pics online. I've never heard of such a thing.

And, do you fight fire blight there and if so, how?
Don't know about fertilizer but when you put up the deer fencing you might want to put something around the lower foot or so of the trunks to keep them from being gnawed on this winter. I planted 3 apple trees primarily for the deer in a few years and put up fencing made from old cattle panels cut into thirds but neglected to guard the lower trunks. After the snow melted I checked on them and mice or voles had evidently tunneled under the snow and ringed all 3 from the surface of the ground up to about 2 inches high.
Rabbits will do the same.
Silver tip stage is just before the buds open. The buds are silver in color. In western PA it is around the first week in April. Also apply dormant oil and dawn dish soap at this time with a sprayer, covering all of the tree. Then weekly if your orchard is smaller apply dawn with a sprayer from the ground to the branches. We do this with our favorite trees and never use insecticide. Gary U
I always fertilize my apple trees in the early spring. Several pounds of something like 10-10-10, or similar, scattered out around the drip line of the tree. A little fertilizer wouldn't hurt a newly planted tree right now.
It'll be a while before we get back to the place. I'm wondering about pollination, but I'll see.
Richard, did you but the tree from Schmidt's Greenhouse ?

If you did, it might have been my daughter, Caroline, that served you.

Tall & late 20's ?
Originally Posted by GaryU
Silver tip stage is just before the buds open. The buds are silver in color. In western PA it is around the first week in April. Also apply dormant oil and dawn dish soap at this time with a sprayer, covering all of the tree. Then weekly if your orchard is smaller apply dawn with a sprayer from the ground to the branches. We do this with our favorite trees and never use insecticide. Gary U
appreciate that Gary.
© 24hourcampfire