Home
Thinking a 1 ounce, and maybe a few lesser.
Gold is Gold, but Maple Leaf, Krugerrand, Eagle , or a John Wick ?
Some Silver too ??
Buffalo's, Heck even John Wick ?
Good time to buy. It’s at $1714.60 right now. Had gone over $2000.00 last month. Silver is in the crapper as well. $18.83.
Primers were a bit lower yesterday.
Gold is @ 1703 right now...
Silver is up about .40 from yesterday.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I love the Krugerrands.
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Some Silver too ??

[Linked Image from cdn.silver.com]

The 1915 restrike of the 100 Corona Gold Austrian Coins are usually the best deals on gold, because oddball (lesser known), yet contain just a hair under a full ounce of gold. They were quite popular in the US among gold bugs prior to ownership of gold bullion being legalized in the 1980s. They were legal before that time because they were actual national coins, so could be considered something for coin collections, which were never outlawed by FDR. This was a bit of a legal fiction, though, since they were produced (continually restruck with the date 1915) precisely to fit into this legal loophole. They are plentiful still, and typically very inexpensive, i.e., the premium over spot is usually quite small.

Krugerrands are also among the better deals.

For silver, you generally cannot beat junk silver, i.e., pre-1965 US dimes, quarters, and half dollars. Best deals for that are usually found at pawn shops, so just call around your local pawn shops.
God I hope Mr. Pudd’n don’t pull a FDR on Gold ..

Anything is possible with Psychopaths..
They have no Boundaries..

Roll Them or They Roll You
The just saw gold at under $1700.
Originally Posted by Ringman
The just saw gold at under $1700.
$1,711.00 right now.
fractional rounds. easier to actually use.
Kitco has it at 1701.90 right now.
Originally Posted by deerstalker
fractional rounds. easier to actually use.
Premiums on fractional rounds are prohibitive. Don't bother. You want fractional gold, go with old British Sovereigns or old French Roosters (i.e., French 20 Franc pieces).
Fox just showed 1700.00
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Some Silver too ??

The 1915 restrike of the 100 Corona Gold Austrian Coins are usually the best deals on gold, because oddball (lesser known), yet contain just a hair under a full ounce of gold. They were quite popular in the US among gold bugs prior to ownership of gold bullion being legalized in the 1980s. They were legal before that time because they were actual national coins, so could be considered something for coin collections, which were never outlawed by FDR. This was a bit of a legal fiction, though, since they were produced (continually restruck with the date 1915) precisely to fit into this legal loophole. They are plentiful still, and typically very inexpensive, i.e., the premium over spot is usually quite small.

For silver, you generally cannot beat junk silver, i.e., pre-1965 US dimes, quarters, and half dollars. Best deals for that are usually found at pawn shops, so just call around your local pawn shops.

Quick look at that Austrian coin, Hawk:
corona
Originally Posted by jorgeI
corona
See what I mean?
1822.86 for a 1 ounce Krugerrand
1822.86 for a 1 ounce Krugerrand
Check out the 100 Corona coin jorge linked to above. MUCH better deal. You'd be nuts not to jump on that. Solid dealer, too, so no worries about fakes.
1706.10 now
Originally Posted by jorgeI
corona
See what I mean?

Fee charged for using BC to buy gold.
Priceless
You gold hounds should be cautious. If your chatter prompts me to buy some the market will crash abruptly. Have a long history of such influence.
Buy now !!
I'll wait a bit still.
Price is fluctuating a buck or 2 ...
1736 for an Austrian, free ship, plus tax.
1825.99 for a random date Krugerrand
Why is .9802 pure gold selling for less than .9167 (22k) ?
Something about an odd ball coin....
I'm gonna go with another Krugerrand.
About a hunert bucks more, but it's a world wide known coin.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You gold hounds should be cautious. If your chatter prompts me to buy some the market will crash abruptly. Have a long history of such influence.

Can I talk you into going long on oil futures?
St. Gaudens.
Sure. Tell me about oil.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
St. Gaudens.

That's what most of mine are.

Hint, don't go for the ones with higher numismatic value.
Sure. Tell me about oil.
Lol. Just Dan. I'm long gold and silver.
Still think silver is the better deal, but then I digress.

Had an old metal dealer tell me a LONG time ago, DO NOT BUY American Eagle coins.
Any American coin with a dollar value on it can be construed as currency* by the Gov't and confiscated. Foreign "coins" can't be "confiscated" as they belong to a different "government".

Therefore, we always bought coins minted in other countries. Austria, Britain, Canadan and Mexico the past. We haven't purchased metals in quite a while.

We also purchased "non-denomination" silver coins. Mainly because it was silver and they are always a bit cheaper than any coin with a dollar value on it.

The last time "we" bought metal, a 1/10 oz gold Maple Leaf was less than $150
A 1/2 oz gold Maple Leaf was a bit over $600.
Regardless of stamping, we have NEVER paid over $20/oz for any silver coins.

* - all "currency" is considered "property of the government"
I got it... a bit slow today, pain meds...
I'm gonna buy 2 Krugerrands. Won't let me on my phone.
Gotta figure out how to fire up the computer, wife is busy at work.
Well, I hate to break it to you guys, but secondary market gold, which I think is the proper term from my Economics degree days, is a poor choice. Gold, silver, and anything else is only worth what you can sell it for, and the gold coin and bullion market is marketed for selling not buying. You will find that your selling is a captured market and that you will not be able to sell at the price you buy.
If you want to have some [bleep]-hits-the-fan money, then buy only what you think you can sell easily in your market.
One of my professors told me, In Germany 1945, the street price of bread was gold coins or diamonds, which says less about the value of bread than it does of the low value of gold coins and diamonds.
I got it... a bit slow today, pain meds...
I'm gonna buy 2 Krugerrands. Won't let me on my phone.
Gotta figure out how to fire up the computer, wife is busy at work.

Who is your source? Kitco is out of stock currently...
Originally Posted by Brakeman97
Well, I hate to break it to you guys, but secondary market gold, which I think is the proper term from my Economics degree days, is a poor choice. Gold, silver, and anything else is only worth what you can sell it for, and the gold coin and bullion market is marketed for selling not buying. You will find that your selling is a captured market and that you will not be able to sell at the price you buy.
If you want to have some [bleep]-hits-the-fan money, then buy only what you think you can sell easily in your market.
One of my professors told me, In Germany 1945, the street price of bread was gold coins or diamonds, which says less about the value of bread than it does of the low value of gold coins and diamonds.

Interesting.

Where did you go to college?
Ebay.
Liberty coins.
I've bought from them before.
Gotta pay tax, but free shipping.
1,826.91 right now.
Was 1,825.14 about 15 minutes ago.
Got it figured out now.
I'll hit buy it now soon. Wanna see how low I can buy today.
Copper and lead is a good investment.
Ebay.
Liberty coins.
Gotta pay tax, but free shipping.
1,826.91 right now.
Was 1,825.14 about 15 minutes ago.
Got it figured out now.
I'll hit buy it now soon. Wanna see how low I can buy today.

Danke
GreatWaputi,
Gotta diversify !
3584ELK,
1825.87 right now...
Why is .9802 pure gold selling for less than .9167 (22k) ?
Part of it is explained by the total amount of gold in them being slightly different.
Ebay.
Liberty coins.
Gotta pay tax, but free shipping..
If you live in Florida, you only have to pay sales tax if you buy less than $500.00 worth. Alternatively, if what you're buying was ever US Currency, you pay no sales tax on it, period, regardless of price.
They must have only had 3 left, as that's all they let me buy...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Good deal! Love those Krugerrands.
Nice.

If you get into a 1945 bug out transient scenario...how much gold can you even carry?

I think precious metals are more the long term investment against inflation...eg a story on public radio yesterday had a person digging up a box in their back yard buried in the 30's. It had $1k in it. So, it's worth 1k today...since, much less than $1k from the 30's. But, if it was silver, gold, platinum it would've surpassed inflation and been worth more.

PS I am no investment person, and live virtually through Jorge I's posts. He makes sense.
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
How much gold can you even carry?
That's actually one of the benefits of gold, i.e., how much value you can conveniently transport. A small string purse full of British Sovereigns or French Roosters constitutes an enormous amount of wealth in a small package.
Check out the hood pawnshops.

Get some used gold teef.

I picked up one of these and 5 of the 1/10 oz Canadian mint coins. Being a novice gold investor, I wanted to ease into it. As The Real Hawkeye noted, smaller denominations give a person greater flexibility. I just hope the gold prices don't suddenly drop into the basement, or maybe I do?
The problem I see with smaller pieces is, that if you times the price, it comes out way over spot, and fees, than one larger piece, say an ounce, and fees.
Say a half an ounce is about 1,050, times 2, is 2100 bucks, vs a single ounce at 1850.
The problem I see with smaller pieces is, that if you times the price, it comes out way over spot, and fees, than one larger piece, say an ounce, and fees.
Say a half an ounce is about 1,050, times 2, is 2100 bucks, vs a single ounce at 1850.
Exactly my point. If you want smaller pieces, go with low premium smaller pieces like old British Sovereigns (Remember Bond had a strip of them in From Russian With Love as standard equipment for bribing his way out of anything in any country he might find himself in?) and old French Roosters (i.e., French gold 20 franc pieces).
$1800 can buy an awfully nice rifle or shotgun! Just sayin’! 😁
There will be no place to Hide ..
If you don’t stop their Spending your all going to be Spray n Wiped …
All of You ..
The Marxist got another 680 Billion on the Table and the Derby Donkey named Mitch,Lesbo from Maine
The South Carolina Twinkle Toes going to push it ..
Then there will be another.. Another..
Till you all turn to Dust ..
Eat your [bleep]’n OG ..
Gawd you People need some [bleep]’n Ovaltine..
Maybe a Geratol Butt Pump ..
Your getting back into a Corner..
You and Everything You ever Knew including your Grandchildren..

Roll Them or They Roll Q
Hate to say this, but I have enough guns, and several, very nice guns.
Akrange,
I don't have kids, or grandkids...
I look at my spending on metals as hiding cash into something tangible. I won't lose money, I hope, but stand to make a little back, and hold something of real value in the mean time.
I was talking to a dealer about Chinese fakes. He said they are VERY good. He had someone buy some Maple leafs off him then try to return them. Except they switched them for Chinese fakes. He has a machine that can tell the difference, but what are the rest of us supposed to do? Makes engaging in commerce with them difficult.
Buy from a reputable dealer.
Apmex, Liberty Coin, (who I just used), and Kitco, are 3 that come to mind.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I was talking to a dealer about Chinese fakes. He said they are VERY good. He had someone buy some Maple leafs off him then try to return them. Except they switched them for Chinese fakes. He has a machine that can tell the difference, but what are the rest of us supposed to do? Makes engaging in commerce with them difficult.
Visually, the fakes can be impressive to a novice, but there are ways to tell without the fancy machine they have at coin dealers. Find out what the correct weight, diameter, and thickness of the coin is supposed to be, then verify these (buy a digital jeweler's scale and a digital caliper).

Also, there's the ping test. Buy a ping testing kit, then download the coin ping tester on your smart phone. The real coins have a distinctive ping all their own when held in a ping device and tapped firmly with a wood dowel. The software on your phone will listen to the ping and tell you if it's kosher or not.

Gold coins tend to ping in a certain way, anyway, so you can even get away without the software on your phone, with just the ping device. They ring like a bell, and keep ringing. Fakes don't do that.

You can also do a "specific gravity" test with no special equipment (a jeweler's scale, a container of water, and some thread). There are YouTube videos on how.
Some Silver too ??

I just reread what I wrote above and saw a typo on my part. Ownership of gold was legalized in the 1970s, not the 1980s. Too late to correct it in the text.
I read that, but figured the 8 was close to the 7, and fat fingers !
I read that, but figured the 8 was close to the 7, and fat fingers !
Especially on my tiny MacBook Air.
If the SHTF the last thing I want is gold or silver. Give me a few 9mm Glocks and ammo instead.
If you read this thread, you'd see it's not about your fantasy scenario, but putting money into something tangible.
Depending on how much you have, and how much it increases, you can profit a little or a lot.
How much are you making in your savings account ?
How's the 401k ?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Interesting.

Where did you go to college?
UT - Knoxville, and U.S.M.

I suggest to everyone thinking of buying a precious metal. Buy one unit, record your price, and then sell it immediately, posting your loss on the board here. I'll bet you that the loss is a lot larger than you would think.
If you read this thread, you'd see it's not about your fantasy scenario, but putting money into something tangible.
Depending on how much you have, and how much it increases, you can profit a little or a lot.
How much are you making in your savings account ?
How's the 401k ?
I hate it when people pull that "I'd rather have bullets" BS every time this subject comes up. No doubt all of us here are already well situated in that department.
Yeah,,,,
Been "hoarding" for a long time ...
Some things, like primers, ya run short on tho...
New powders, for new cartridges too....
But the main stay stuff should already been had in quantity years ago...
© 24hourcampfire