Home
19 foot Almar Aluminum jet boat. It has been parked under a tree for a couple months. I went out and hooked it up to go to the lake today for Grand Daughter's 16'th birthday. Only to find a mummified cat lying on the floor at the back of the boat.

Even the maggots were done with it.

The carcass was lying on indoor outdoor carpet over plywood.

Any suggestions to get rid of the stench short of sawing out and replacing the plywood floor?

I am going out now to soak it with Dawn and hose it out, two or three times. Then leave the hose running over it all night. The answer to pollution is dilution? Right?
Ammonia, bleach?
Soak the crap out of it with straight bleach. Hose off after 24 hours, let dry. Then cover the whole area with a thick coating of baking soda, cover with plastic. Let sit a few days, and rinse, let dry.

If that doesn't do it, break out the saw
Peroxide- - - -the hair bleaching kind. It's twice as strong as the stuff used medicinally. Spray it on liberally withg a spritz bottle, let it sit awhile, then hose it down. Repeaf as necessary.
Microban will help, but time is your friend.
Peroxide is the ticket. You can mix it with some dawn to break surface tension, but peroxide is the end of organics.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ammonia, bleach?

Uh, not at the same time. Chlorine gas.
Spot on, Doc.
I’d try the peroxide mixed with some vinegar and a stiff brush. Scrub let sit. Rinse and repeat.

Honestly it’d likely be less work to replace the ply and carpet.
Pour on a bottle of Brut.
Doubt I'd really want to be washing bleach down in my welded aluminum boat. Chlorine is a bit of a corrosive.
I don't think it will do the plywood any good either.
Simple green.

It's just a little dead cat smell....sheesh.
I'd use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, the enzymes will eat up the organic material causing the problem.
Hah! Didn’t think about that.

Peracetic acid likely ain’t gonna be friendly either. Spray it on the wood from a spray bottle and mask of the metal? Rinse the hell out of it?
Originally Posted by high_country_
Peroxide is the ticket. You can mix it with some dawn to break surface tension, but peroxide is the end of organics.

That
Also, get an Ozone generating air freshener machine. Turn it on and let it run in an enclosed area as long as it takes.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Simple green.

We know how you are about smells. grin
Originally Posted by JeffA
Doubt I'd really want to be washing bleach down in my welded aluminum boat. Chlorine is a bit of a corrosive.
Not to mention what it would do to burgundy carpet.

I soaked it with water and then applied 1/2 bottle of Dawn, then rinsed with full flow of garden hose until suds quit, repeated, and repeated again. The hose is still running over the area.

Actually, surprisingly, I am unable to detect an odor at this time. But after being out on the lake in the boat all day, I may just be "nose blind".

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go out in a bit and shut off the hose, then rub a box of baking soda into the area. Tomorrow, I will grab a couple bottles of high strength peroxide, and apply that, then vinegar.

Pretty close to the same recipe I use on skunked dogs. It should at least reduce the smell to a tolerable level until time cures it completely.

I have my fingers crossed.
MICROBAN... I have used it to kill dog and cat piss odor on concrete slabs when replacing carpets in homes, it kills the bacteria that causes the odor.
They usually stop stinking when they dry out.
Originally Posted by high_country_

Maybe throw in some baking soda too. That is the mixture that you use to de-skunk a dog. It works wonders on that.

The mix is:

4 cups (940 ml) hydrogen peroxide, 3 percent solution
¼ cup (55 g) baking soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml) liquid dish detergent

Jerry
Originally Posted by kingston
They usually stop stinking when they dry out.

Yes, I wish. I placed the carcass in a plastic garbage bag, tied it, and left it by the garage for the day. When we came home from the lake, we walked past the bag and almost puked.

I can not believe we never noticed the odor over the last few weeks. The boat was only 100 feet from the house. But it was downwind.
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Simple green.

We know how you are about smells. grin

I sure as hell ain't gonna let a bad smell ruin a good time!
Unless you just have to have it smelling fresh right now leave it out in the sun for a couple of weeks. It'll quit stinking soon enough.
Baking soda won't destroy your carpet like bleach or peroxide. Use it on pissy subfloors all the time. Never tried Rogers microban . Yet.
Axe body spray
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Ammonia, bleach?

Uh, not at the same time. Chlorine gas.

Hydrazine. Not chlorine.
Odoban. They sell it at Home Depot.

Mike Rowe the Dirty Jobs guy said they used Odoban in an apartment where some lady died and rotted for weeks…. It worked.

I’ve used us for pet schitdt and I. Works great diluted.
Maybe Fabreeze? Worked good to get rid of spilled deer blood from a leakey ice chest off of wife's mini-van carpet about 25 years ago. Still married to her, but it was a questionable situation for a couple of days back then. Just saturate the hell out of it and let dry in a well ventilated place. I probably did not need to tell you the second part of that.
Next time shoot the cat in the head so it don't crawl off and die in your boat. Mb
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Odoban. They sell it at Home Depot.

Mike Rowe the Dirty Jobs guy said they used Odoban in an apartment where some lady died and rotted for weeks…. It worked.

I’ve used us for pet schitdt and I. Works great diluted.
Probably microban relabeled.
https://www.cleanprosupply.com/mediclean-disinfectant-spray-plus-gallon-fka-microban/
Pictures of the cat?
Wash it off good,let dry and give the plywood two coats of Kilz oil base, not water based.

After my MIL passed away, we had to sell her condo.She kept a little dog there. Inside all day long when she was out and about. Sh eha dthos ebig pet mats,but the dog never used them, we had to pull all the carpeting and that urine smell was soaked into the plywood flooring.Two coats of Kilz sealed it up.No smell.

You might even try some of that solution they sell to get rid of skunk smell when you wash it
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Wash it off good,let dry and give the plywood two coats of Kilz oil base, not water based.

After my MIL passed away, we had to sell her condo.She kept a little dog there. Inside all day long when she was out and about. Sh eha dthos ebig pet mats,but the dog never used them, we had to pull all the carpeting and that urine smell was soaked into the plywood flooring.Two coats of Kilz sealed it up.No smell.

You might even try some of that solution they sell to get rid of skunk smell when you wash it
that will work, but the carpet in the boat is probably glued down, and if it doesn't come up in one piece you are going to have to replace it.
This will not of much help…..if you want to reuse the boat! I usually sink the boat when used for body decomp removal! 😂 Oh, a word of advise…..have a friend come along with another boat bring you back! 😉 memtb
Take your daughter bowfishing. Let the carp sit in the boat overnight, now it just smells like fish!
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Pictures of the cat?

On the phone pole by the street corner...
No pics of the cat. But I do have a few of the grandkids on the tube behind the boat yesterday. But it would take me an hour to get them off my phone onto the computer, then resized and posted to Rick's hosting service, and I am not that energetic today.

Big Jim, no we did not let a little stink get in the way of a good time.

Next time will be a bit more enjoyable, without the stink.

So, after the preliminary work last night, I scrubbed one full box of Soda bicarb into the wet carpet.

16 hours later, I went back and added a quart of white vinegar, and then two quarts of hydrogen peroxide.

Then rinsed it all out for about fifteen minutes with the garden hose, and applied half of a 24 oz can of Lysol aerosol disinfectant.

All I can smell now is Lysol. No question, the bacteria problem has been destroyed. Now to be sure the cadaverine and putrescine molecules have also been eliminated.

It is parked out in the sun again. We will see how it smells after a few days of sunshine. If the smell of death comes back, I will revisit some of the previous suggestions.

Perhaps odoban.
Originally Posted by troublesome82
Take your daughter bowfishing. Let the carp sit in the boat overnight, now it just smells like fish!
Actually grand daughter. grins

I think I prefer the the smell of dead cat to dead carp. grin again
Prob wouldn’t help w bio-organic funk, but I’ve used straight Mexican Vanilla liquid to clean out live well/bait well that was left w swimmers by my son. Cleaned it w Purple Power and drained a couple of times. Rinsed and dried overnight. Soaked a thick terry cloth towel and scrubbed each and left towels in place for about 3 days. It worked.
Purple Power. I will keep it in mind if needed.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Purple Power. I will keep it in mind if needed.
Keep in mind that stuff can remove paint.
Then it would probably remove the glue holding the carpet in place.

Good to know if it becomes necessary to paint the plywood and recarpet.
Guess no one will listen to the guy who has been doing this for 45 years...
When I get foul smells in my boat, I always go with the "deep cleaning" method. Have to have a back ho too.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Spray it with Sex Panther Cologne.

Sex Panther is a cologne which is illegal in 9 countries. It is also made from bits of real panthers, so you know its good.

60% of the time, it works every time.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Sex Panther is a cologne which is illegal in 9 countries. It is also made from bits of real panthers, so you know its good.

Link? :-)
Replace the floorboard.
put it on Craigs list and let people take tast rides until the smell goes away...

you know wat dey tay about ded putty tats?
dey's good putty tats.
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Link? :-)
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Guess no one will listen to the guy who has been doing this for 45 years...
Roger, I listened. I figured if anyone knew about this stuff it would be you.

I used what I had on hand. And am glad of the advice if what I have done proves inadequate.

At this point, 30 hours after the last cleaning, I think it is going to be okay.

As I walked up to the boat, I thought I detected the faintest whiff of an odor. But I can smell nothing coming directly from the affected area of the floor.

One might guess that the carpet over the rest of the floor and interior side walls, as well as the cloth top on the boat may be retaining a hint of residual odor from indirect exposure.

I think that will go away over another week or two of 15 hour days of direct unfiltered sunlight and 100 plus degree heat.

I did not have Microban, but I used a butt load of Lysol.
Cool, it doesn't hurt to have microban around it's good for a lot of things when it comes to cleaning.
It's on the list for the next trip to the city.
Sink it. smile
© 24hourcampfire