Home
Anyone have a slick method of storing your bench grinders , buffers and such where you can rigidly mount them for use without eating a bunch of real estate?

I have a baldor tool grinder that's close to 80# , rag wheel buffer, a couple 6" rocks, tormek and a 10" paper wheel. None of these see constant use and I'm fine with taking the time to mount and move as needed.

I've kicked around 2" receivers, tee plates in a vice or custom clamp which lets me store in parallel 2x4's for storage, plywood plates and tapped mounting holes....even a magnetic chuck.

Anyone been down this road who wants to share your successes and failures?

Thanks in advance.
If you've got a solid, thick, work bench you can drill holes and epoxy hexagonal connecting nuts flush with the bench surface, and then bolt the grinder down when you need to and put it away otherwise. This is how I roll with my bench vise and two different reloading presses. PM me your phone number for pics if you want.
I use a discarded 18 wheeler steel wheel with a piece of 4" pipe with a square top plate welded to it. When the grinder/buffer isn't in use I roll it to a corner of the shop and park it out of the way.
I just build small, but sturdy rolling units to hold equipment. All on heavy duty castors. Then when I need to use something I just roll it into my main work area. It's worked well. I've seen some wood working tools with a spinning top, where you can bolt down two different tools and spin the tip and lock it for the piece you want.
My table is steel so tapping holes is easy, my dilemma is what to do when not in use. I have a couple mounted on dozer sprockets, but I am running out of real estate now that every kid wants a 4 wheeler and my lust for machine tools.
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I use a discarded 18 wheeler steel wheel with a piece of 4" pipe with a square top plate welded to it. When the grinder/buffer isn't in use I roll it to a corner of the shop and park it out of the way.

This exactly. Works great.
You could weld a few receiver tubes around your shop or underneath your work table top for a grinder bracket to slide into. Just like a trailer ball receiver. I have a couple made on each side of my rear truck bumper for vices on my service trucks.
I generally just leave the vices mounted all the time but I can take them off or move them from truck to truck if I need to.
© 24hourcampfire