Home
Posted By: Houston_2 GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
The once behemoth of industrialization is splitting itself up into 3 distinct companies being :

Aviation
Healthcare
Energy

Effects should all be in place by 2024. Estimated costs to make the changes is 2 billion$.

CNN Business, Market Watch, WSJ
Posted By: wabigoon Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
I've been a fan of GE sing the day of the General Electric Theater, hosted by Ronald Reagon.

"Progress is our most important product."
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've been a fan of GE sing the day of the General Electric Theater, hosted by Ronald Reagon.

They fell by the wayside though, Wabi.

They’re selling their iconic light bulb business as well as their appliances business to the Chinese, along with several others at fire sale prices amounting to 20% of actual worth according to the articles.
Posted By: Teal Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by Houston_2

They’re selling their iconic light bulb business as well as their appliances business to the Chinese, along with several others at fire sale prices amounting to 20% of actual worth according to the articles.

GE hasn't made a lightbulb in 2 years.

GE - no more bulbs.
Just bought some LED flood lights from Walmart. 2 Packs Of 4 bulbs each.

Must have been leftovers but quite a few on the shelves of various types and sizes.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
GE hasn't been worth a damn in the last 20 some ought years.
Posted By: TooOldToCare Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
What about their locomotive manufacturing?
Any ideas? They build most of the road locomotives.
Posted By: atomchaser Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
The train business was split off several years ago is now part of Wabtec.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
The once behemoth of industrialization is splitting itself up into 3 distinct companies being :

Aviation
Healthcare
Energy

Effects should all be in place by 2024. Estimated costs to make the changes is 2 billion$.

It's like they are creating sock puppets.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Aviation
Healthcare
Energy

Perhaps just reinventing themselves Paul. You know, like trying to distance themselves from some of the things that have happened in the past.
Jack Welch was a hard act to follow but Immelt drove it into the dirt.

The financial unwinding of 2008 pretty much put the nails in the coffins of GE Capital.
Posted By: JeffA Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
Fu ck GE, they suck down government funding and pay zero in taxes.

But they are big on political campaign contributions.

Not even a question that this reorganization will allow for MORE government funding and even MORE tax breaks.

That's ZERO dollars

As in

ZERO $
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Aviation
Healthcare
Energy

I see what you did there
Originally Posted by JeffA
Fu ck GE, they suck down government funding and pay zero in taxes.

But they are big on political campaign contributions.

Not even a question that this reorganization will allow for MORE government funding and even MORE tax breaks.

That's ZERO dollars

As in

ZERO $

Their focus on the energy sector was less than revealing probably meaning green energy, Batteries production, etc.
Posted By: Caplock Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
Maybe become as relevant as Bell and Howell tactical sunglasses and cheap security lights.
Originally Posted by Caplock
Maybe become as relevant as Bell and Howell tactical sunglasses and cheap security lights.

Getting kicked out of the DOW 30 and followed by a 8/1 reverse split says about as much.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
#🚂Toot!Toot!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
Originally Posted by Teal

GE - no more bulbs.
Cockfight …

LOL
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
It happens. They got the Fanuc out in 2009.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
They absolutely ruined Baker Hughes.
Originally Posted by chesterwy

If I remember correctly that merger was supposed to make them the world’s second largest oilfield service provider by revenue.

Took GE about 3 years or so to finally divest from BHs.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/19/22
When I worked for GE's steam and gas side (turbine welder), they had plans to split and sell their healthcare side. Then Covid hit, and the sale stopped.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
When I worked for GE's steam and gas side (turbine welder), they had plans to split and sell their healthcare side. Then Covid hit, and the sale stopped.

I put in a lot of time on GE Frame 3, Frame 5 Mark 1 and Mark 2, Frame 7 and the biggest of them the F9-A, most all of them dual fuel units.

Remarkable machines they are
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22

I put in a lot of time on GE Frame 3, Frame 5 Mark 1 and Mark 2, Frame 7 and the biggest of them the F9-A, most all of them dual fuel units.

#FistCamp
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22

GT 11N1s, NM, GT8, GT24, Cumberland, Redhawk rewind for the generator, impulse wheel removal and new installation, all kinds of steam and gas stuff. Good pay, too many hours at the shop, not enough time to shoot.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by TooOldToCare
What about their locomotive manufacturing?
Any ideas? They build most of the road locomotives.
I did 8 years at GE Transportation in Erie.
At the end of WWII the plant employed 22000 people.
In 1977 there was 13000.
In 1986 there was 6500.
In 2016 they cut there workforce from 3000 to 1500.
And that ended it for me.
Went out the door as a inspector.
Got recalled just before Westinghouse took over.
Didn't go back.
The plant is like a city inside a city.
Surprised they even keep the lights on with that small of a workforce.
All domestic locomotives are now built in Texas.
All Erie does is prototype, transit and export locomotives.
Everyone I know that's still there hates Westinghouse more than the GE.

Dave
Posted By: dave7mm Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If you saw there management in action you'd understand why.

Dave

GT 11N1s, NM, GT8, GT24, Cumberland, Redhawk rewind for the generator, impulse wheel removal and new installation, all kinds of steam and gas stuff. Good pay, too many hours at the shop, not enough time to shoot.

You can find your way around them in dark, I’m thinking!
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If you saw there management in action you'd understand why.

Dave

Six Sigma.

Not a bad processing system within itself.

Like Sir John Brown Of BP, Jack Welch spun the aircraft carrier on a dime only to then watch the wheels come off of both entities.
Posted By: chesterwy Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22

If I remember correctly that merger was supposed to make them the world’s second largest oilfield service provider by revenue.

You’re talking about the merger between Halliburton and Baker. They were the number two, and three oilfield service companies for size. And the merger of them still would not have been as large as the biggest service company, Schlumberger.

You’re talking about the merger between Halliburton and Baker. They were the number two, and three oilfield service companies for size. And the merger of them still would not have been as large as the biggest service company, Schlumberger.

I’m talking about the merger with Baker Hughes.

Halliburton and BJ Hughes merger was scrapped due to various goverments objections and I think that it costs Halliburton over 3 billion $ as a payout to BJ Hughes to unwind that proposed deal.

I think that’s right.
Posted By: Stammster Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
^^^

Yep. I worked for SLB in upper management at the time. Everyone was [bleep] bricks.

When the HAL/BH deal fell through, GE announced it was going to buy BH less than a week later.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
After Jack left those in charge went for the fast payday and sold off most of the parts that were making the whole company look good.

Now the med.seems to be the one that is pulling the freight but maybe one more part is as well,i forget what they are called.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
and there goes thelast of the original Dow Hones index stocks.
Posted By: KFWA Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22

Aviation
Healthcare
Energy

Siemens, while one company, is setup with those divisions, although Aviation is lumped into a larger BU called Industry
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
and there goes thelast of the original Dow Hones index stocks.
"Jones" honed right off of the index...
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
Good riddance, it will be sold company by company. They never made one product worth a crap.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Good riddance, it will be sold company by company. They never made one product worth a crap.

They rule the larger framed gas turbine business for electrical power generation, compressors and pumps.

and their Healtcare equipment products seems to be top notch.

GE aviation has done well over time with engine sales and maintenance contracts.

GE Capital was once thriving until 2008.

That’s just a few.

Now,,,consumer products and appliances, not so much and the company is a only a shell of its former self.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22

They rule the larger framed gas turbine business for electrical power generation, compressors and pumps.

Yeah buddy.

Attached picture rps20220719_195713~2.jpg

Yeah buddy.

That’s a very expensive hunk of metallurgy sitting in the slings!
Posted By: KFWA Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
I bet most of us have flown on planes powered by GE Jet Engines, part of the reason they are breaking out the Aerospace sector.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by Teal

GE - no more bulbs.
and that was chinese and mexican light bulbs i worked at GE making incindesent light bulbs for 24 years , all the plants making household lightbulbs ,they shut all of us plants down in 2010 and the old sealed beam car and house bulb plants in 2015.
Posted By: rem shooter Re: GE Splitting Up - 07/20/22

The financial unwinding of 2008 pretty much put the nails in the coffins of GE Capital.
your damn right .and i told every one at the GE plant i worked at immelt was going to kill us and that was back in 2005 some laughed at me ,but look who was right ,i know b.l.s..t when i see and hear itand what they are doing . even i a common factory worker i could tell he didnt know what he was doing
Originally Posted by rem shooter

your damn right .and i told every one at the GE plant i worked at immelt was going to kill us and that was back in 2005 some laughed at me ,but look who was right ,i know b.l.s..t when i see and hear itand what they are doing . even i a common factory worker i could tell he didnt know what he was doing

Hindsight says Nardelli would have been the better pick .

Jmo
© 24hourcampfire