Home
Posted By: cmb Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...n=825c1a36-3495-475e-a7fa-33bdfb14f4dbML

Apparently the Brady Bunch is shifting attention to Hunting Rifles such as those chambered for .223, .308, .30-06, 6.5x55, and 7x57. Anything that is capable of firing over 100 yadrs is considered a 'Sniper Rifle'. Dont give them an inch folks. Feeding them semi-auto's will not ease their appetite.

This blog seemed fishy, but it seems to check out http://www.bradycampaign.org/bradyreport/2007/february/mobilizing/index.php#story2
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Wow - I wasn't aware a .30-30 was such a horrible weapon of war. I was also completely unaware that the .30-30 was the choice of snipers...Man, I have so much to learn.
Posted By: mdv1state Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Well, the anti long range hunting guys aren't going to be happy to find out that 100m is too far for hunting.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Those butt heads don't know a rimfire from a howitzer. THAT is what makes them so damn dangerous.
Posted By: Bushcraft Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Should our elected officials live under the threat of reprisal on their lives from disgruntled constituents?

That, in a nutshell, is exactly why the Second Amendment was included in the Bill of Rights!!!
Some of these Sniper Rifles can even penetrate ballistic or armored glass, lightly armored vehicles, and armored limousines.

Designed for distance shooting, they are useless for the ranges at which game animals are normally shot, and when used on sporting sized game at range they often just wound the animal, inhumanely forcing it to die slowly while the would-be hunter tracks it to finish it off.

Sniper Rifles shoot a high powered bullet that is almost always fatal. They are designed for one thing- delivering powerful overkill with deadly precision. You don't need the kind of power and accuracy that can kill a man at five hundred yards for hunting rabbits or defending your house.

Hmmm...seems a bit contradictory if not totally ignorant. But, then again that's pretty typical of power-hungry liberal leftists who really are not fit to lead anything but like-minded media wimps.
Posted By: Boss Hoss Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Boy am I glad I sold both of my AI 338 Lapuas last year!!! Sara will then move to have hunting with rocks outlawed when their are no more firearms left!! Hmmm maybe a nice English Long Bow?????
Posted By: Partagas Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Wonder what Jim Dumbo has to say about that?
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Well here is a chance to make a difference, a bunch of us ought to join up for some debate, give the kids an alternative point of view.
I don't belong to myspace, but might be worth it just so they don't go unchecked.
PS from the Campaign:

We've read his apology. Stop copying and pasting it. If we wanted to post it, it would have been included already. Thanks to a few individuals who attempted to excessively spam the blog comments section, comments are now moderated for this blog post. We will still post comments from all viewpoints, as we respect and cherish the first amendment, but you have only those who refused to respect our requests to thank when you have to wait for your comment to be approved.

Witness the LIBERAL'S version of the First Amendment!!!

Can you say "edit", "filter", "review", "refine", "alter", "amend for public publication"!!!
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Last time I checked, sniping was an activity, not a device. I must have missed a memo.

Seems to me sniping could be conducted with anything from a .22 rimfire, on up.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
I gotta stop reading that garbage...just gets my blood pressure up.

What's sad is if CBS were to air a special on "Sniper Rifles, a Distant Threat", and repeated all of this non-sinsical babble that anyone with a basic understanding of firearms and hunting knows is complete garbage , the anti's and the majority of the population that just doesn't know any better would be eating it up, just like they did with the AWB.

"The 30-06, a military caliber". Yes, at inception, and a damn fine one at that, but is there a single military unit world wide that still uses it today? I don't believe there is. Are Military and Police tactical units (snipers) using it? I doubt many. What about the 7X57? Any military still using that round? Not that I'm aware of. Police or military snipers? Not a chance. They're now sporting rounds, and almost their entire use is for sporting purposes. Yet they want them. Very telling...again.

Then there's that super powerful cop killing powerhouse the 30-30. *rolleyes*. They forgot to mention banning the 45-70.

By their thinking the .58 caliber minie ball is a friggin' "military round" that must be kept out of the hands of civilians.

The sad fact is the more our country distances itself from it's shooting, sporting and hunting heritage, the more their bullchit will ring true with the ever increasing ingorant masses that just don't know any better, and that's preceisely what they're counting on.

Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
Snipers eat food, and wear clothes too.

Better ban food and clothes......just to be safe.
Posted By: spr1 Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/19/07
The liberal's end game is simple. No guns in "civilian" hands are acceptable to them. They want all power to be held by the state, contrary to what the framers of the constitution wanted. They then can impose their will without interference.
Small arms in the hands of the populace are the ultimate embodiment of the people holding the power rather than the state.
Religion and anything values based is being attacked for the same reason. What the state says has to be correct right???
We should never get into a debate with them on whether their proposals are reasonable or logical. Once in that debate, they have won, because every compromise erodes our rights.
The correct debate is on the fundamental value of privately held arms. Make them show their true colors.
This argument has been going on since Plato's time.
I believe with the demonrats in power in Washington, that every left wing nut is coming out of the woodwork. It should be interesting/scary on a national level, as I believe the folks in power realize that if they show their true colors that the White House will slip away in 2008.
This liberty stuff is hard to hold onto......
Posted By: bender Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
The libs want to be legally protected from everything, so they don't have to personally confront anyone. I used to think they were intelligent,but misguided. I was wrong. They are rather dim, and furthermore, consider my ilk to be less intelligent/sophisticated than their comrades. Tell me why a criminal wishing to do anyone harm, would obey ANY rule or law. It's all about weak people re-writing the constitution to insulate them and their way of life from any disagreement. The second amendment is well written, simple, and clear.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
Guess we always knew what Brady's agenda was. What scares me is do they figure they have a new assult weapons ban secured so their moving into new territory?

I've got to run out and get me one of those 30-30's. Why waste time with a .338Ultra when I can have the ultimate sniper rifle. Heck the 30-30 can penitrate multiple targets crazy
Posted By: WheelchairBandit Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
I seem to recall 50's got banned in Kalifornia after a 60 Minutes segment.

I can smell a "Sniper Rifle" 48 Hours special on the horizon....

The only thing that will keep our beloved deer rifles from being banned is that even Democrats like to hunt.There's too many "good ole boys" in the House and Senate that like to go out and shoot quail and whitetails to vote on something that would take away their weekend excersions....

WB.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
Man we need those sniper rifles. Having been raised in the north I have only heard stories about snipe hunting and I am sure certain ballistics are called for.....
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
Originally Posted by spr1
They then can impose their will without interference.

If I was one of them, I'd be more worried about outlawing petri dishes and powdered yeast before a [bleep] of biowarfare rains down on their smug little parade.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
They forgot the short range "Assasin Weapon", the killer 22lr!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
WB, don't be so sure, it only takes more time.... I don't trust any of them. Klinton was a hunter too..... Brady an NRA member....Don't fool yourself
Posted By: smokepole Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
OldOrnery, you're right. John Hinckley used a .22 pistol. I guess those will be the next on the list.

You can't use reason or logic with these people. If you hunt with a "high-powered rifle with a telescopic sight" you're not giving the quarry a sporting chance. (How much of a sporting chance did that steer on the plate next to the mushrooms get?) But if you use a bow and arrow, you're being cruel and inflicting needless pain, wounding animals right and left.

Posted By: 7mmbuster Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
Doesn't surprise me at all. For 20 years I've told others that once the evil "Assault Rifles" are banned, these deadly "Sniper Rifles" with "no sporting purpose" would be next. mad

On a side note, maybe they tipped their hand too soon on this? I noticed that the link to the article no longer works, and the "Brady Blog" is now griping about "Gun Dealers' Shady Dealings".
7mm
Posted By: cmb Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
The artical is still posted a little farther down the list, but I'll repost it here for safe keeping...

"Sunday, February 18, 2007

The tragic proliferation of Sniper Rifles

I would like to take a moment to comment on the proliferation of Sniper Rifles.
Sniper Rifles are typically equipped with a high-powered scope, and every single one of them can blow through the body armor cops wear. They can even penetrate multiple police cars. Does the Second Amendment protect cop-killer Sniper Rifles? The NRA certainly thinks so, along with the powerful gun lobby that wants your children and your law enforcement officers to be at risk from these weapons of mass destruction. Some of these Sniper Rifles can even penetrate ballistic or armored glass, lightly armored vehicles, and armored limousines. Senator Ted Kennedy attempted to solve this with an important bill that would have banned armor piercing ammunition and protected lawful firearm commerce:

"Another rifle caliber, the 30.30 caliber, was responsible for penetrating three officers' armor and killing them in 1993, 1996, and 2002. This ammunition is also capable of puncturing light-armored vehicles, ballistic or armored glass, armored limousines, even a 600-pound safe with 600 pounds of safe armor plating.....

..It is outrageous and unconscionable that such ammunition continues to be sold in the United States of America.."

Should our elected officials live under the threat of reprisal on their lives from disgruntled constituents? The Gun Lobby seems to think so. We disagree.

Sniper Rifles can be equipped with precision optics above even what the Military uses, allowing a sniper to deliver rounds within millimeters of accuracy - enabling them to engage targets at distances of well over one hundred meters. Is there a pressing need to be able to kill with accuracy at that distance? It is too far to justify as self defense. It is too far for hunting. It is only useful for those who wish to murder from afar.

Large caliber Sniper Rifles such as the .50 Browning Machine Gun can derail freight cars, shoot down aircraft and helicopters, damage vital ground equipment such as power substations, fuel tanks, and air traffic control, and cause complete chaos. For more information on why large caliber machine-gun rounds must be banned, visit http://www.50caliberterror.com. A shipment of large caliber machine-gun round sniper rifles made by Steyr turned up in Iran, and are being used on our own soldiers, as the .50 bullets easily defeat their body armor, their up-armored humvees, and even APCs.

Many forward thinking, progressive politicians such as Ted Kennedy, Chuck Schumer, Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama have voted against Center-Fire Rifle Ammunition of types for Sniper Rifles, but due to the pressure and massive financial resources of the gun industry, the necessary steps to protect our homes and lives have not been attained.

Sniper Rifles have been used by murderers and spree killers for years, with notable incidents such as the Beltway Snipers, the Clocktower Sniper, and more.

ANY rifle configured and equipped as a sniper rifle has no sporting purpose especially as a hunting rifle. They are too big and heavy to take to the field. Designed for distance shooting, they are useless for the ranges at which game animals are normally shot, and when used on sporting sized game at range they often just wound the animal, inhumanely forcing it to die slowly while the would-be hunter tracks it to finish it off. Most Sniper Rifles fire atypically large cartridges and ultra high velocity ammunition that can travel much greater distances that standard ammunition. The danger imposed from missed shots and ricochetes from these specialty rounds is unreasonable.

Most of these rifles carry multiple rounds, with either an automatic mechanism, or a quick toggle action to rapidly move another bullet into the breech, ready to fire into another victim. In most states, they are nearly unrestricted. Anyone over the age of 18 can buy one. If they can't pass a background check, they skirt the NCIS system by going to a gunshow, or finding a private sale in the newspaper. A murderer camped at a distance from a public gathering could quickly turn it into a massacre dwarfing anything we have seen before in the United States, if they had a Sniper Rifle. If they adopted hit and run tactics, entire portions of our country could be shut down.

Sniper Rifles shoot a high powered bullet that is almost always fatal. They are designed for one thing- delivering powerful overkill with deadly precision. You don't need the kind of power and accuracy that can kill a man at five hundred yards for hunting rabbits or defending your house.

We should also give commendations to France because many years ago they designated any firearm capable of shooting military ammunition as a military arm, illegal to posess without a special permit and unlawful to use for hunting. The 223, 308, 7mm mauser, 30-06, and 6.5x55 have no place in the hunting fields of France. Firearms shooting these calibers are military weapons only designed for killing PEOPLE and should be kept out of the hands of the general population. Because they have no hunting purpose, there is no reason for civilians to own them.

Every state in the USA has hunting equipment rules that limit the caliber of firearm used to take game. They also limit the types of rifles, length, magazine capacity, etc. States should amend these hunting regulations to restrict the use of "sniper" rifles, specialty "sniper" cartridges, and "sniper" ammunition. Limits on weight, barrel length, bipods and tripods, thumbhole stocks and pistol grips, night vision type scopes, scopes of excessive magnification, super magnum and high velocity ammunition, and military slings should be imposed. They have no place in the hunting fields of America and hunting usage should not be used as an argument for civilians to own such firearms and weapons. There are more than ample hunting rifles, cartridges, and rounds of ammunition to choose from without them.

Let us hope that in a safer, saner America, we will succeed in our efforts to restrict the deadly spread of long distance murder rifles" Brady Campaign from link above

They ARE tipping their hand, and it's important than 'it cant happen to ME' hunters take notice.

Posted By: ltppowell Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
Actually, this is a real dumb move on behalf of the anti's. A slick sale on the "assault" weapons slid past ignorant America, but messing with PawPaw's deer rifle is a sure way to ruin.
Posted By: cmb Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Actually, this is a real dumb move on behalf of the anti's. A slick sale on the "assault" weapons slid past ignorant America, but messing with PawPaw's deer rifle is a sure way to ruin.

Here's the pi$$er, they are not going to make a one-shot move, rather they will make moves in small increments. First it will be .50cals, then it will be other large bore rounds over a certain energy level (aimed at the likes of the .338lapua), then maybe a cosmetic ban, like the assault weapons ban, making a combination of scopes, certain stock styles, and bipods illegal. Then they will make a move on 'Military cartridges', and so on and so forth, but they will pace these efforts to slowly aclimate people to the changes, constantly reasurring people that, they 'can still hunt' with open sights and low potency rounds in non-threatening rifles.

A frog dropped into boiling water will jump, but you can immerse him, and slowly turn the heat up, and it wont even know what hit him.

Fight them at every step, because even if current action doesent effect you, they are moving one step closer to legislation that will.
Posted By: pabbott Re: Sniper Rifles - 02/20/07
Just an historical note: the French used Win. 94s, chambered in 30-30, to arm truck drivers during WWI. So yes, the 30-30 would qualify as a "military" caliber. Don't give in an inch!!!
© 24hourcampfire