Home
Posted By: Morewood 1956 Frigidaire Refrigerator - 07/20/22
They don't make 'em like the used to.
I'm talking those torpedo titties.
I just got rid of a Cold Spot fridge that came with this house when I bought it in 1992, and was old then. It was an early 70's model and ran perfect for the entire time until 5 months ago.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I bet that was a very pricey “luxury item” back then. When adjusted to today’s dollar I’d imagine it’s probably on par with a top tier commercial style like Subzero or Viking.

That was a very nice refrigerator with a lot of options for 1956. The stay at home mother, wife and homemaker that had one of those babies was one lucky woman….😁
Good looking woman.
Posted By: DMc Re: 1956 Frigidaire Refrigerator - 07/20/22
Was that a self-defrosting model?
Posted By: CCCC Re: 1956 Frigidaire Refrigerator - 07/20/22
Originally Posted by DMc
Was that a self-defrosting model?
Can't remember her name - maybe something like "Betsy" - but am thinking that is the woman who started doing TV ads after having been named miss America, or Miss USA, etc. Long time ago.

Our Frigidaire ("Fridge") in the 50s was no where near that fancy.
Originally Posted by Morewood

instead of torpedo " Boobs"..

I always describe women who had a pair like that, as having a chest like the front bumper on a 56 Cadillac...

Those big chrome bullets....

I was always partial to a woman built like a 56 Cadillac....
Posted By: hanco Re: 1956 Frigidaire Refrigerator - 07/20/22
Poke your eyes out with them thangs
In HS i worked for a furniture / appliance store.

Older couple bought a new refrigerator.

The old they had was one of those heavy ass tombstone refrigerators.

Over the years, i guess they had remodeled the kitchen and put in a bar.

Yup. That heavy frig had to go over the bar. Couldn’t get it around it.
I'll look for a picture, we have a Frigidaire that the grandfolks took to the cabin 31 Oct 49.
Old timer here that owned a hardware store is credited with bringing refrigerators to the countryside. Starting in the 30s or 40s he would sell people a propane Frigidaire on payments for $1 a month.
When I was a kid, my grandmother had an ancient Frigidaire. I think it was made in the early 1950s (maybe the 1940s) and lasted well into the 1980s.

PS She even referred to it as the Frigidaire, not the refrigerator. It was like referring to facial tissues as Kleenexes.
I have one at my hunting cabin with the General Motors badge on the door.

Attached File
Frigidaire-General-Motors  (24 downloads)
Bras back then were designed to stick out to a point. This one was called the Harlow Bullet bra. Of course having enough bra stuffing material mattered, too.

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
Those were built to last, very heavy!
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Morewood

instead of torpedo " Boobs"..

I always describe women who had a pair like that, as having a chest like the front bumper on a 56 Cadillac...

Those big chrome bullets....

I was always partial to a woman built like a 56 Cadillac....

That would be Janet Leigh, the torpedo tit queen..

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]
Meanwhile, back at the ranch.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Those were built to last, very heavy!

The fridge or the boobs? cool
Looks like she's wearing her doggy bra, the kind that makes pointers out of setters.
I believe the woman in the Frigidaire ad is Betty Furness.
The bumper projections are known as "Dagmars" after the 50's actress. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagmar_(American_actress)
I think the lady was Bess Myerson, the first Jewish Miss America.
I have a mid-1950s (at least) fridge that is the only refrigerator that I remember my parents ever having. It is a Hotpoint, I believe. I can remember my dad picking me up and setting me down on top of it when he'd get home from work. I keep it in the garage for keeping extra fruit and vegetables, and I put venison in there to age. The old thing floated during the flood of '99 (Hurricane Floyd) but still works like it always has. No telling how much it adds to my electric bill each month, but I don't care.
Bess Myerson- - - - - -good marketing, having the hottest gal in Hollywood promoting the coldest fridge in the world!
Bess Myerson, you are correct!!!
Those things were great for Championship hide n go seek.
Posted By: Huntz Re: 1956 Frigidaire Refrigerator - 07/21/22
The 50`s was the pointy tits era.It was also when women wore girdles .Hard to get them things off.
© 24hourcampfire