Home
Posted By: SamOlson Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Are here again.

Today we got the last of the cows the hell outta here!

Only about 80 days later than normal but they are gone to the big country. Drought issues from 2021 regarding grass and water so it was the latest turnout of all time.

The final load was 40 pair of 2 year old first calf heifers and their calves. We've been keeping them in one of our little pastures close to home but it was getting grazed off and it was beyond time for them to hit the hills.

We hadn't had a semi pull out of this little creek bottom corral in over 10 years. Seems like the trucks have gotten lower and the trailers longer so we were nervous. Took our trucker/rancher friend up on Tuesday to take a look and he thought he could pull it off. And much to our relief he did. I didn't get pics of him spinning up a little hill but the ol' Pete was grunting.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Damn son.

that looks awfully green up there compared to out my window here.

Anything not under a pivot, or watered by a ditch, is dried up and brown.

Cloudless skies projected for next week again,

By 3 PM today it was 95F, 5% RH, and 26 MPH gusts.

I'm surprised the sagebrush is still alive.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Well done Sam!
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
God Bless what you do for our country! Keep that beef coming. I flew low level over Havre area and your neck of the woods many times in the old B52 back in the 80’s.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
It's the cows that do the punchin'. laugh
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Geno, I hate to mention, much less brag about the rain but a couple weeks ago we caught a 3 day thunderstorm system and picked up 3.5" of lifesaving rains.

We also got hail on 500 acres of uninsured wheat so I can still whine......lol
(the wheat is what is it, take the rain with it for sure)
(and we have EPIC grassphoppers, never ending worry and whine)

Hope you guys get some rain sooner rather than later!

KDub, finally be able to sleep at night!

GA, I might have seen you guys flying low over the south country when I was a kid. But I think those big boys were outta ND. Either way it was cool!

Wabi, you know it!
Posted By: erikj Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
There's something to be said about having the driver take a look, beforehand. At least you're both wrong if there's an issue. Glad it worked out, without resorting to the dreaded plan B.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Hmmmm....
I can almost taste the big ribeye in that trailer.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Glad you cashiered the cows. Looked like a beautiful day for it.

Keep the stories and photos coming!
Erik, our buddy was worried about his tanks dragging. I am not a trucker so it's all learning to me but after observing how close the got he was right. That and his big ass front grill guard bumper. It was pushing a little dirt here and there. Getting off the county road was also discussed, skinny little approach so we went to plan B.

His rig is a little different that us pulling around a little 20' stock trailer with a pickup!

RUM, oh yeah!

We just had homegrown top sirloin.

OldMan, it was a really nice morning. Nice weather lately which is why we finally got 'em gone.

If it rains here or 80 miles away(where they go to pasture) the plan is a no go.

And we had to get them in the corral and sort off a few pair and a couple bulls and then hold the herd overnight. We try to never hold up the driver and always want to be ready for him. Spent a couple days working on fence and corral. Should have been haying!
Posted By: 57springer Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Originally Posted by RUM7
Hmmmm....
I can almost taste the big ribeye in that trailer.
For sure, yummy !
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Pretty country there Sam, stay proud!
Thank you for the nice comments.

Another issue was corral water, can't send our cattle out thirsty.
(not really an issue, I'm being dramatic)

Sam,

can you run a few head on that ruined wheat in order to get something out of it?
Posted By: Morewood Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Badass Pete.

My favorite rig. Cat motor.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Valsdad, Geno, clearly this Slippery Sam Olson fellow has doctored those photos. Everyone knows grass is not that thick and green...some kind of astroturf stuff. And water just laying around on the ground? Balderdash, humbuggery. On the Klamath the loggers are complaining the lizards are following them around waiting for a drop of sweat to fall.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
I just now bought every one a round at Murphs in Saco Montana!

Happy Days!
Posted By: GAGoober Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
GA, I might have seen you guys flying low over the south country when I was a kid. But I think those big boys were outta ND. Either way it was cool!

Wabi, you know it!
ND was right! Grand Forks AFB
Posted By: EdM Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Looks like you have greyed some Sam. Tough business...
In order to keep the small patch of grass in the yard green for the dogs, I've taken to running the timer on the sprinkler for 20 minutes the first time, then for 10 more an hour later so the well has some time to recharge.

Well guy said when we had it checked before buying this place (2016, another drought year), I could pump 20 minutes at 10 gpm, then another 25 at 5gpm, then I'd start pumping sand. About 45-60 minutes for the well to recharge, so I try to work things on the safe side.

Last few years I haven't needed the extra 10 minutes to keep things mostly green in that little patch. This year I'm hardly keeping up and some days spots get a bit "crunchy".

Good thing I learned how to garden and conserve water in the real desert where it only rains 3-4" a year. I think I'll do OK with the taters and cabbages this season. Everything else will be a toss up.

I think between the chickens and the dogs my local lizard population has taken a hit.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I just now bought every one a round at Murphs in Saco Montana!

Happy Days!
Is that the hoppinist joint in town........................

or the only one?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Sam, As usual your pictures are fantastic storytellers all by themselves but your added commentary helps to fill in the blanks for us non-ranchers.

I used to envy you ranchers but after spending some time on my buddies “smaller” operation my envy has subsided and over time it’s morphed into a deep respect for you guys that are keeping the smaller family ranching and farming businesses alive. Giant corporate operations are anathema to the traditional ways and the consolidation of the packers and processors seem to all be working against the “little guy” which is why my respect for you guys only grows stronger.

I wish you nothing but the best and hope Mother Nature cooperates as much as is possible. 👍
Well said Aces
Gentlemen, I should have took a pic of the frog and kill deer chicks running around the pump site.

Probably similar scene to Murph's at Saco....lol!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Good deal Sam.

Used to chase to kill deer chicks when I was a kid. Fast little peeps for as small as they were.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
I’m glad you got some rain, it’s finally drying a bit in the banana belt enough to hay in between storms.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Originally Posted by EdM
Looks like you have greyed some Sam. Tough business...

Don't worry Ed....he ain't whining!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Gentlemen, I should have took a pic of the frog and kill deer chicks running around the pump site.

Probably similar scene to Murph's at Saco....lol!
Differenter chicks at Murph’s, eh?

Beats breaking ice in the tanks I bet! 😏
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Great stuff Samm0 !!

Don't know if I ever told you fellas, but Doug, our Son, is a truck & coach journeyman & works at the local Peterbilt dealership !

Cheers Mate, heading out to a local outfitter today for some R&R.

Stand by for some epic walleye slaying pics !
Posted By: hanco Re: Happy Days... - 07/22/22
Thank you for being a farmer-rancher.
© 24hourcampfire