Home
Posted By: wabigoon Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/22/22
That.
You're not alone. I have a full schedule tomorrow and can't shut my brain down. Struggling for a couple hours now. Finally just got up and went to the den.
- tnscouter
Haven't tried yet, just walked in the door.
Thanks, I guess misery loves company, I'm listing to Gospel music on Youtube.
I’m at work until 6am.
I have no sleep habits, Might nod off at 3AM or 3PM. Mostly when the drugs take effect and make the pain go away.
Rarely if ever can I sleep past 3 AM......get up, take the leak, toss n turn for an hour or more.....

Big storm hit at 3 AM where I am currently in NC so at least there's a light show with surround sound.
Have any of you guys that have trouble sleeping tried Melatonin?

I work 12 hr swing shifts. A Melatonin and a podcast to fall asleep to goes a long ways towards helping sleep and I wake up without the groggy feeling.
I'm on nights now for a week.....6pm-6am. Melatonin usually has me out within 20 minutes.
I work 3:30 P-2 A 4 nights a week. Actually my favorite shift I have worked.

Hate not being up most mornings when the sun's coming up and the world comes alive though.

Sometimes I catch a sunrise as I don't go to bed until 7 or 8 AM, sleep til 2sh then off to work.

I sleep better on this schedule than I have in a long time.
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I have no sleep habits, Might nod off at 3AM or 3PM. Mostly when the drugs take effect and make the pain go away.
Seems like what I do on these weekends when it's hotter than the devils dick.

Sleep some whenever and up doing honeys do stuff then catch more sleep.

No drugs needed.....yet.
You good folks know all about it, when I was young, I'd be up till late, and it took wild horses to get me out of bed in the morning. laugh
We used to run til 3 or 4 then back on the crew at 6 or 7.
Yup, slept like a baby last night..,
Tonight wide awake at 3 am..,.
I get my sleep about an hour or so at a time.
It has something to do with dialysis. I'll be out
the door at 5am. I might sleep a couple hours in
"the chair". Melatomin don't work for me. cool
Got up 15 minutes ago, not willingly.
Wondered what that noise was. The alarm.
Sitting here waiting on coffee to work.

Slowly come to life, at work at 6.
Been up 3 times to pee now the dogs want out. Guess I will check out the basement pages and the memes before trying to get back to sleep
When I go to bed, I rarely remember my head hitting the pillow....but I wake up way to soon in the "am". Hour and a half before the alarm this morning.
For me, the two most critical factors in sleeping are getting some exercise and staying away from alcohol. Hooch puts me to sleep, and then wakes me up in the middle of the night.
One of the things I did not see coming from getting old. Some nights I sleep soundly for 7 hours straight, other nights I can't get to sleep. OTC sleep drugs work, but I hate using them too often. Old age is not for pussies.
Falling asleep is my problem once I do sleep is good for a few hours.
Not very much trouble since I retired, have a bad night once in a while. I sleep about 6 hrs, sometimes a nap in the afternoon.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
For me, the two most critical factors in sleeping are getting some exercise and staying away from alcohol. Hooch puts me to sleep, and then wakes me up in the middle of the night.

Yeah - think you are on to something there.
Insomnia is just another burden of aging IMO. Maybe there is a component of your working career too, among my circle of friends the blue collar physical workers seem to suffer more from sleep disruption than the paper pushers. If we are having a get together for a shoot and want to get an early start when it's cool and the winds are calm, the paper pushers howl like banshees for having to get up early (for them, early is before 0800).
I sleep on average 4 hours a day.
No problem sleeping here, at least 8 hours every nite and take a nap every afternoon. My grandmother used to tell me, “Teddy you can sleep on a picket fence”.
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

That’s when you go from sound asleep to awake and screaming with a soaking wet diaper in a nanosecond.

For those with sleep problems that need a push, I feel your pain. I had a really bad case of insomnia when I discontinued opioid pain meds. Like went 30 days with maybe 12 hours sleep max. Amitriptyline. It’s a mild antidepressant most often these days prescribed for sleep issues and chronic headache. I initially was using it as prescribed by a Neurologist for the aftermath of severe headaches from a level 4 or 5 concussion in a car wreck. Took it on that basis for years until I didn’t need it. No withdrawal or bad after effects of any kind.

In the past 6 months I’ve been using it as prescribed by my PCP for sleep. It doesn’t put me to sleep, it lets me sleep. No morning hangover, sleepwalking, nothing like that at all. Ambien should be illegal. Melatonin works for some but gives me Alice in Wonderland Down the Rabbit Hole weird, weird dreams. Anyhow, works for me.
There is a melatonin called Back to Sleep. It really works for me if I wake up say around 1 or 3 AM.
Sleep is overrated, never have slept much. Figure I’ll get plenty of sleep when I’m dead.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/22/22
Hard deep sleep for about 4 hours, then toss and turn for about 2 more hours, then maybe another 2 hours of light sleep.
Tried about every OTC sleep med out there, non really worked, Doc. gave me a scrip for sleeping, med. for depression that is also used as a sleep aid, big 0, even ordered a bottle of Relaxium Sleep, just some more snakeoil.
Only thing that comes close is Sominex Sleep Aid (little blue pill), good for about 6 hours straight, but leaves a hangover the next day that requires a nap to go way. Wife say's it makes me act weird.
At almost 78 it's not sleeping that's a concern, it's waking up. ;>)
I normally go to bed at 2 am.
Takes a half hr to fall asleep.

Wake 2 hra later, damn near to the minute. Then toss n turn for 30 mins to an hr or more, then sleep for an hr. Up an hr then sleep another hr.

3.5 to 5.5 hrs.
Never in one chunk.

Kids n stuff, I wake at 6 and 8 am even on weekends.
My kids and ol lady are clueless and dont give a chit.
Can sleep anywhere, nod off in 5 mins. And stay asleep for 12 hrs.

Diff school and work schedules.....ol dad nobody cares about.

Shut up and pay the bills sucka.

Sooner or later this chit is gonna start affecting my sunny disposition
Yrs ago my job was high stress and crazy hrs.
Mountain Dew was a staple.

Work 72 go home sleep for 6 and come back and work 48. That was my biggest run.

Work 12 or 16 and do it again after 4 hrs sleep was common, for years. Was a lot younger then.

Didnt have all these aches and pains that conspire to ruin what little sleep i got.
I slugged the Nyquil last night and got 4 decent hrs sleep.
Woke up w insides whacked.

Didnt eat before bed either
...that helps w sleep.

My job is hot and physical. So takes me hrs to wind down.
Per Shootem, "Ambien should be illegal." My MD sister agrees with you saying that it is a very dangerous drug. For one thing 10 mg is too strong for most people and I would bite the generic equivalent Zolpidem in half as needed. I do remember one time when the kid announced that we were out of milk for his cereal the next morning after I'd gone to bed and taken an Ambien. No way that I should have been driving. I striped the side of my truck driving into the garage with the side mirror on the car and the worst part was that I didn't care! What works for me now if I can't sleep in an hour or so is an over the counter allergy relief Equate, a cheaper pill like Benadryl. It is the 25 mg of Diphenhydramine HCI antihistamine that does it for me.
Ambien put me to sleep within 15 mins.
Was up like a rifle went off, 4 hrs later.
Felt like Id nodded off 5 mins ago.

Nope. 4 friggin hours. Gone in a flash.
No weird stuff.

Quit after couple weeks and had a nasty headache for a couple days.

Not worth it.
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by ruffcutt

That’s when you go from sound asleep to awake and screaming with a soaking wet diaper in a nanosecond.

For those with sleep problems that need a push, I feel your pain. I had a really bad case of insomnia when I discontinued opioid pain meds. Like went 30 days with maybe 12 hours sleep max. Amitriptyline. It’s a mild antidepressant most often these days prescribed for sleep issues and chronic headache. I initially was using it as prescribed by a Neurologist for the aftermath of severe headaches from a level 4 or 5 concussion in a car wreck. Took it on that basis for years until I didn’t need it. No withdrawal or bad after effects of any kind.

In the past 6 months I’ve been using it as prescribed by my PCP for sleep. It doesn’t put me to sleep, it lets me sleep. No morning hangover, sleepwalking, nothing like that at all. Ambien should be illegal. Melatonin works for some but gives me Alice in Wonderland Down the Rabbit Hole weird, weird dreams. Anyhow, works for me.

I take Amitriptyline for some nerve pain/numbness in my hands. I’ve learned to take it at least 3 hours, usually 4-5 before going to bed. I hit the bed and I’m gone.

If I forget the lead time it usually takes a while to get to sleep or I’ll get to sleep and wake up a few hours later and have a hard time getting back to sleep.
Melatonin doesnt do [bleep] for me
Never been able to fall asleep very well. Dr. put me on the generic for Ambien years ago. I don't take it every night but when I do, it works well. Only half a pill is enough to allow me to fall asleep.

The nights I don't take it I may take 2-3hrs of staring at the ceiling before I settle down enough to sleep.

Almost always awake by 5:00 with or without it.

Wife can fall asleep as soon as her head hits the pillow. Wish I knew how she does that.

Elk Country
Blessed, as it's never an issue. I think I'm typically gone within 60 seconds of my head hitting the pillow. Can just barely remember going to bed most nights. Sleep even more soundly on campouts. Could usually go a little longer, but our dog thinks it's his duty to dictate our waking hour (05:45) regardless of his needs.
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/22/22
Originally Posted by hookeye
Melatonin doesnt do [bleep] for me

Ditto.
What Oldtrapper said works for me, plus melatonin.
Melatonin does nothing for me either. I work a really odd schedule crossing a bunch of time zones so my sleep stays screwed up. I have a prescription for Ambien and it helps, I certainly don't think it should be illegal. I don't take it very often because I have heard some horror stories, but used responsibly it's a life saver when you've been through 20 time zones in the last six days and need to get back to normality.
Ever since I've recovered from the Chinkernese Flu I can't sleep for schitt.
Whatever you do don't depend on pills to get some sleep. PLEASE
I can't sleep at night, and I'm tired all day.
[align:right][/align]
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Ever since I've recovered from the Chinkernese Flu I can't sleep for schitt.

Did not help me either.
Actually taken 5 months fpr POTS tonsettle down and quit hacking crud from throat/ lungs

Of course theres a new round of it going on at work.
I got back to sleep about 5, then overslept.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
That.

Try holding your head underwater.

Count to 90.
I've had off and on insomnia most of my adult life, usually related to having to get up and drive to work, which is a job I've never really liked all that much.
These Delta-8 gummies have worked the best for me, though they are expensive if you take one every night.
https://lifeleafmedical.com/product/weedish-fish-for-sleep-delta-8-thc-and-cbn-gummies-300mg/

I'm currently working on making my own edibles using Delta-8 distillate mixed with CBN distillate for a fraction of the cost of the aforementioned gummies. I will be working on a batch of chocolates tonight.
Hard workout. Fall asleep when your head hits the pillow. Like to get 6 hours. Repeat.
My little JRT tells me when to go to bed and when it’s time to get up… bedtime is usually around 9:30 and up around 6:00… before I got the knee injections and quit smoking, I’d sometimes only get 5-6 hrs. a night…now I sleep like a baby…
I had a problem sleeping off and on for the last few years. I started taking Melatonin and it made me groggy in the morning. I did some research and now when I have trouble sleeping I take Melatonin for about a week or two to reset my sleep patterns and then stop until the next time- which is usually about a year or more.
Tom T Hall, "Sleep without dreams."
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Tom T Hall, "Sleep without dreams."
Wabigoon: After "conditioning" myself to sleep anytime, anywhere and in any position for 29 years on the P.D. - I now sleep like a baby!
I hit the hay last night at 8:30 PM and am sure I was to sleep by 9:00 PM - then I awoke at 6:30 AM and hopped to - well rested and full of piss and vinegar - headed for the yard sales.
I know folks with sleeping problems and would NOT wish that on anyone.
I do think that beds, pillows and mattresses affect my slumber times.
I have a kalifornicationkopia king size QUALITY bed with "My Pillow" pillows and "My Pillow" mattress pad.
Again, I sleep like a huge baby.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I know that No. 2 and The General fall
Asleep about the same time .
Not sure about the Burning Bush ..
99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall take one down ..
Hahaha Hahaha
Eddy Fisher, "When I'm worried, and I can't sleep, I count my Blessings instead of sheep."
Have always had a little trouble sleeping well.
Been very hard to get a good nights sleep since June 11.
Cow kicked me, and broke my left ulna in 2 places - just can't get any where near comfortable.
Maybe in another month, or so. I hope!
Tonight, is a brand-new night!
Posted By: Tuco Re: Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/23/22
Read some of the books I've written...guaranteed to put you to sleep! :0)
laugh
I’ve pretty much had insomnia since learning that I was a Daddy to be, 18 years ago. Pretty weird, huh?
We all lucky ducks to live when we do, nough said!
Lots of hoodrat activity going on.
When the police helicopter goes overhead, it
shakes the whole house, and the dishes rattle
in the cabinet
On the rare occasion they use that spotlight,
it's almost like you turned on a light in the room.
It's hard for me to close my eyes and go back to
sleep after they've been chasing one of the pinheads
around the block
For whatever reason, they all seem to follow a
predictable path when they decide to flee
Originally Posted by Ranger99
in the cabinet
around the block

Move?
Good night kind folks.
Generally, I sleep the sleep of the righteous and pure.
Just watched the Dallas Taco Bell security footage.
I will fall asleep w a smile on my face.

They fugged around and found out.
Richard when I was younger I could work from 4am milking to 8pm haying. Not so much know
Good Moring kind folks! I made it till a bit after 5, with the help of Petticoat Junction, laugh
Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/25/22
wife and I have been getting up before 6 for years now so its pretty much a habit

often I'm awake at 4am and can't get back to sleep

There is a certain peacefulness in the neighborhood and the house you can't get any other time of day.

the downside is 9pm and I'm falling asleep in the recliner. I've noticed my wife and I both get more excited about the idea of sneaking in a quick nap , its probably equal to the level of excitement of an afternoon quickie

ok, now I am depressed.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/25/22
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by Ranger99
in the cabinet
around the block

Move?

In that situation I'd do it if I could
Slept good last night. 10 to 5. I’ll take that any day
Good Morning!
Good Morning!
Time to make coffee.
Time to shower and turn in til noon or so.
Woke up a few minutes ago and shined a light across the yard. Another armadillo, so I shot it with a .22 and it ran against the house. Blood 2' up the wall. Hauled it off, got the water hose and cleaned up the mess.

Score for the last 5 nights is 2 armadillos, 2 coons, and 1 fox.
Grampa had an old International P.U. that armadillo
blood took the paint off of.
Years ago, Dad had an old 62 Ford Galaxy. Coming home on a date one night, hit an armadillo, and and broke a brake line. Next place I had to slow down got interesting, but I made it. I dont think I got over 10 mph the rest of the way home.

Only thing I know that likes an armadillo is a buzzard.
"So here wear are again."
Time to make the coffee.
Just made a pass thru the yard and shot another 'diller'. Put on the coffee before I went outside.
I took a schit, about like a half hour ago. It was pretty huge.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Just got done coffee and 2 smokes been up about 30 mins.
Think I'm gonna need some plunger action on this Duece I just dropped, gotta be a huge curler.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤩🤩😄😄😄
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Just got done coffee and 2 smokes been up about 30 mins.
Think I'm gonna need some plunger action on this Duece I just dropped, gotta be a huge curler.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤩🤩😄😄😄
Fuggin A, coffee and nicotine. If there's a better laxative out there, big pharma be keeping it quiet.
The opiate squeezer

Good luck

It’s been “taco tuesday” for a week
Daughter just woke me up with a text "Landed safely in Minneapolis"

Ugh!

Might as well go make some dang coffee and wait for Queen Mum to wakeup then a morning stroll on the beach

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: KFWA Re: Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/29/22
put in a channel drain today , had to cut asphalt, concrete, dig and pour about 900 pounds of concrete.

I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep last night - whenever I work like that I have trouble sleeping. Went to sleep sometime after 1. Got up at 6am.

get to do it again tomorrow, starting the day off renting a trencher
In this dry climate, it's usually 30 degrees cooler at night than the day. We put a fan in the bedroom window and it really helps the sleeping to get the bedroom cooled down. This morning it was 63 outside so it'll be in the mid 90's today. The forecast is for 100 but it's usually 5 cooler here at the house. The official is at the airport with all that asphalt.
Posted By: EdM Re: Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/29/22
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Daughter just woke me up with a text "Landed safely in Minneapolis"

Ugh!

Might as well go make some dang coffee and wait for Queen Mum to wakeup then a morning stroll on the beach

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Whereabouts?
https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again
Posted By: byd Re: Anyone else that can't sleep? - 07/29/22
I take 150mgs of amitriptyline to sleep serious brain fog in the mornings, I now have started taking Natural Vitality a magnesium supplement, no more brain fog and I'm weaning off the amitriptyline.
This is no schit...serious.

I should've moved out West when I was 20. The air out there is so dry it just makes me feel better. More energy, improved attitude..Minnesota has schitty humid air that's tough to breathe. Probably took 20 years off my life, I'll check back in when I finally croak. Probably ain't too far off.
Time to make coffee.
I could sleep if marine traffic slept, but it doesn't work that way. I slept really well the night before last. I hope to sleep well Saturday night.
two hours yesterday four today.
I gittin' off the Metoprolol!
© 24hourcampfire