Home
Posted By: ShortMagFan Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Anyone ever deal with them?

Any tips for getting rid of them?

We have an issue with them every summer. Bifen and boric acid have not worked. Every summer they get a little worse this time of year.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Do you have cicadas?
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Cicada killers don't bother me.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Wasps are some of the most beneficial insects there are.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Why do they bother you? You're not a cicada, are you?

maybe this?

Recommended Insecticides

If you notice new holes or a developing nest, you can try applying Tempo Dust to the holes' entrance. When the holes are new, you still have the potential to kill the larvae and adults.
A more permanent and preventative method would be to apply Bifen LP Granules over the whole area and water it. The Bifen LP Granules would not yield immediate results but stop them from returning the following year.
https://diypestcontrol.com/cicada-killer.htm
Posted By: hanco Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
They won’t hurt you, but are scary.
Originally Posted by hanco
I always figured if a person had a problem with cicadas around their tree roots, those things would help keep the population down some.

It's cool to watch them dig their holes too. Busy little bishes...
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
I like having cicada killers around.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
The little red bastids that insist on living in my 610 mule are not beneficial. It's a dam rodeo every time I get in the thing.
Posted By: RicG Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
They are beneficial insects. Leave them alone.
My favorite is the Great Golden Digger Wasp.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
They have made a mess of an area of our yard where we like to spend time. But there are about 50 holes in the ground and around some boulders in the yard

No they aren’t dangerous but I also don’t enjoy the mess they made from their digging
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Cicada Killer Wasps are big and look like they would have a dagger for a stinger. I used to be terrified of them as a child, seeing them buzzing around low over the lawn. But their sting is very, very mild. Paralyzing to cicadas, but not so painful to humans. They do make some big ass mounds, though, and those mounds can stand out in a manicured lawn.

Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Funny that this topic should come up today. I just got an email from a concerned neighbor who knows that I keep bees. She was convinced that she had found Alabama's first Asian Hornet. The picture she sent was a textbook example of a Cicada Killer.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Red wasp sting is way worse.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
I always hear cicadas, even when they are not there
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
I always hear cicadas, even when they are not there

Lol...I hear them also. Thanks for reminding me. smile
Originally Posted by rainshot
The little red bastids that insist on living in my 610 mule are not beneficial. It's a dam rodeo every time I get in the thing.
Red wasp sting is way worse.

Dang,

y'all got a red wasp problem too?

Floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, drought, hailstorms, wind, excess heat, ice storms, aquifers drying up, rattlers, too many pigs, still a few dry counties, Houston/DFW/Austin/San Antonio getting too big and crowded, fire ants, chiggers, pay to play hunting, killer bees, invasion of the Yankees and Californios.................................................

and now red wasps.

It's a wonder anyone want's to live in Tejas any more grin
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
I leave the ‘katy killers’ alone

I have watched them crawl up inside carpenter bee bore holes and kill the adults and drag their asses out of there. Then they sting the fouck outta the grub in there.

Or I don’t know, maybe it’s not the same kind of wasp, but its a black dude with two small yellow bands around the abdomen
Posted By: HawkI Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
That would be "her".

The "dudes" are the striped ass smaller ones that guard the holes.

The m' effin red Apache ground wasps I kill with abondon.

Funny story.

My Dad's place is Cicada killer central, burrows all over.

My bullet casting station is over there in his garage; I usually cast about this time of nightin the summer. Anyways, the siding had rotted about where Cicada killer central is.
I have on one little lamp to keep the little annoying bugs to a minimum. Needless to say, the "nest" thought it was daylight and six or eight of them coming out from below in the half darkness isn't a good time and they don't go back in the hole just because you shut the light off....
Posted By: hatari Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan

We have an issue with them every summer. Bifen and boric acid have not worked. Every summer they get a little worse this time of year.

Yes
Had them outside door of my office. Exterminator wouldn’t touch them. Beneficial insects. Pointed out that my patients didn’t agree and neither did several of my staff that got stung. (And oh yes they do! Maybe reluctantly)

Told me to get Sevin concentrate and mix it in a 5 gal bucket of water and pour it in and around the nest.( also said “you never heard that from me”)

Worked like a charm.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan

Yes
Had them outside door of my office. Exterminator wouldn’t touch them. Beneficial insects. Pointed out that my patients didn’t agree and neither did several of my staff that got stung. (And oh yes they do! Maybe reluctantly)

Told me to get Sevin concentrate and mix it in a 5 gal bucket of water and pour it in and around the nest.( also said “you never heard that from me”)

Worked like a charm.
Murderer!!!!!
Posted By: hatari Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
😉
Posted By: z1r Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Cicada killers don't bother me.

I've never seen em bother anything other than Cicadas. Coincidentally, I saw one yesterday in CO. We have very few Cicadas, so seeing a Cicada Killer is a rare event.
Posted By: kingston Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22

Like the COVID.
Posted By: Raferman Re: Cicada Killer Wasps - 07/23/22
Originally Posted by kingston

Like the COVID.
Flave said you be a covtard.
© 24hourcampfire