Home
What a blast! Anyone else ever do it?
Did a tandem jump from 11,500 feet in 2009. Did about 30 second free fall and then the glide and spiral down. Amazing experience!!!!
Originally Posted by scottf270
Did a tandem jump from 11,500 feet in 2009. Did about 30 second free fall and then the glide and spiral down. Amazing experience!!!!

Pretty sure we were at 14,500 when the green light came on. Loved it!
One of the many things on my “bucket list”…….a bucket that is “brimming over”! 🤬 memtb
many times while in the army
I've been thinking of doing a halo sky dive (high altitude low opening) 30,000 feet 2 minute free falls. Big price tag on the jump however.
19 times in the Army
Fuuuuug that. I don't even like being up in my tree stand lol
58 times all together, 32 were HALO (high altitude, low opening) jumps, 15 were over water, and 9 were night jumps.
Nowadays, I don't even care to climb a ladder.
A guy I used to work for was once a paratrooper for the Brits and he sure liked it. I don't like my feet off the ground, period.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Not unless I was ordered to.
NFW !
Up until thirty years ago I did a fair amount of skydiving. I accumulated a bit over 14 HOURS of freefall time. Big airplanes, big altitude.

RS
Momma didn't raise no fools. Male ones anyway.

Little sister jumped a few times when she was a college age student.

When the crew says "Here, put this on and jump, this plane ain't gonna make it to the landing strip" I'll gladly jump. Until then, nope.

Having said that...............................I used to scuba dive in waters known to harbor great white sharks at times.

And then there was this bar I frequented when younger. It made an episode of one of those detective shows on the ID channel a couple of years ago. I guess the clientele hadn't gotten much better.

Oh, I like snakes and spiders too. Not like some of the guys here.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
19 times in the Army

40 times for me, 35 in the Army, and five at a local club after I left. I liked it. It was fun.
My mid-life crisis adventures were fulfilled all in one day at carowinds riding all the rollercoasters. I was it on a stick after that.
I have hauled jumpers.

I have flown some crap that probably shouldn't have been flown...'Ferry Pilot' back to repair station.

I have lost engines.

I have flown an ultra-light, twin engine that had an engine failure for me on BOTH flights????? It had a 'conventional' tail/controls, none of that weight shift chitt....

I have NEVER felt the need to abandon an aircraft..... but then I was never in one that wasn't capable of continuing to be 'Flown'...............

It just ain't a happenin'
Free fall with a chute might be fun, but doing it with wings or rotor blades can be exciting. It's electrifying!
I was paid more to stay IN the plane. I could open the ramp and cargo door from the front.
My CSM, when you are ready to go to Airborne school you let me know and we will get you a date. I never went, I heard all the not-so-great stories. Knocked out on the Drop zone, waking up in the hospital week later, no thanks..
✔️ that box.

One and done.

🦫
I made 20 freefall jumps in college, until the ROTC commander told me that as I was a pilot candidate, I would immediately stop that nonsense.

There are two things I will probably never do again: flying solo and doing a jump. I deeply regret that.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
✔️ that box.

One and done.

🦫
That is not a box what needs checkin'.

I'll stand with Muffin.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
✔️ that box.

One and done.

🦫

I'll stand with Muffin.

I guess you don’t get to ✔️ the box for a ménage à trois with two naughty ladies either then.

😳😝🦫
✔️ that box.

One and done.

🦫

I'll stand with Muffin.

I guess you don’t get to ✔️ the box for a ménage à trois with two naughty ladies either then.

😳😝🦫

If I was still single and that was the bonus prize for falling through the sky I'd be asking where the dotted line was.
✔️ that box.

One and done.

🦫

I'll stand with Muffin.

😳😝🦫

If I was still single and that was the bonus prize for falling through the sky I'd be asking where the dotted line was.

Atta boy!

🦫
I never thought jumping out of an aircraft that has the ability to land safely to be a good idea.
✔️ that box.

One and done.

🦫

I'll stand with Muffin.

😳😝🦫

Atta boy!

🦫

There must always be an adequate reward for any risk.

And jumping out of a plane deserves at least two "rewards"..................at the same time even.
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I never thought jumping out of an aircraft that has the ability to land safely to be a good idea.

It's not a good idea.

Unless there's a menage a trois involved with a couple of hotties of the bona fide female persuasion (nowadays one must make such clarifications)
I have done 3, all tandems. The first was in Mexico (who doesn't trust Mexican aircraft maintenance) and all were from 10,000 feet or so and the one in Playa Del Carmen had us landing on a topless beach. Of course all the ladies wanted to come talk to you about the jump. Good memories!
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
What a blast! Anyone else ever do it?

NO

THANK

YOU
20 years in the US Army always on jump status, other than the 3 years spent as a drill sergeant. Hundreds of jumps both static line and military free fall. Jump altitudes from 350 ft AGL to 29999ft AGL. Both Airborne and Halo jump master qualified. My jump log has 20 with O2 & NVGs to include 3 combat jumps. Jumped just about every military and civilian aircraft capable to be jumped to include fixed wing and rotary. Packed my own chute and jumped that pack many times.

Always had a good jump which by definition is any jump that you are able to get off the drop zone under your own power. Had many a hard landing with various obstacles to include trees, water and urban hazards. Injured a few times, thank God nothing serious. Have been on many where men were seriously injured and a few fatalities.

Loved jumping but, once I got out and I wasn’t paid to do it anymore haven’t jumped since. If I had the chance I would volunteer again.
So easy, even a dog can do it.

🦫
Only in the Army. Always enjoyed it. Haven’t jumped since.
Yeah, baby! I made a static line jump from a Cessna 170 at 2800 ft. Good Lord was that scary!

Went back up 2 hours later and did it again.
Static line only in the military, little over 50 jumps pretty fun for the most part. Messed up a couple of ribs on one jump and tore up my ankle on another, that wasn't fun. Never did free fall, never really wanted to jump after I left active duty. I joined the Airborne to stay away from mechanized infantry.
When I flew Blind Bat missions over the Ho Chi Minh trail I thought we were going to have to jump several times.

Scared the living crap out of me. Even if I did make a safe landing, I would be deep in enemy territory in the dark!

I think all of us knew we weren't going to jump anyway!!
I seem to recall Birdies Mother doing a jump on her birthday every year now into her 90's?

Only if you were breathing oxygen
✔️ that box.

One and done.

🦫
Don't know if I'll ever do it again but it was worth every penny ($255)
107 times while in the Army. Most military, some sport jumps, but none since leaving active duty. That and running in combat gear is the reason my knees are shot today.
Originally Posted by JTrapper73

Oh .... a few hundred times maybe. Sicily, Salerno, Nijmegen, Suchon up at Cambell, Gatun in Panama on a couple of occasions. Gold in the Mohave, ... we had seven killed and 156 critically injured on that jump ... including my S3 Air Bob Brietmeyer in Gallant Eagle 82. Drag killed him. Horrible way to die. Then Granada, then Pamama City. Then Beruit out of Vicenza to save the jar heads. Later Kuwait. I had made csm by then. Then, long dark jumps until Iraq with many a jump on Bragg and a few others here and there amd aroundp. Various places in Europe and North Africa.

German, French, Israeli and Italian wings.

I still remember every jump, every DZ, every time of day and bird. Was primary on most of them. Lead bird. I was honestly a helluva Jumpmaster. Took great pride in it. All other paratroops were in awe of our fearlessness and combat rediness. My log book is a thing of beauty.

I recollect those days with great pride. 123s, 130s, 141s, C5As ... we were all broken but bulletproof. We could not be beaten. We feared no man. None.

Oh well. The broken bones are a constant reminder. It's hard to explain the Brotherhood.
I made 18 jumps here in Arizona when going to ASU many years ago. The the Coolidge Parachute Center gave a discount to the ASU Skydiving Club, but I still ran out of disposable income to spend on it. All solo, progressing from static line to free fall.
Originally Posted by JTrapper73

28 jumps courtesy Uncle Sam. C-123, C-130, C-141, C-7A, UH-1H, CH-47. Italian wings. I ask one bud a couple of years ago if he wanted to do another jump and he said that it had been so many years since we had jumped, that we would probably piss all over ourselves. I asked another and he said to him the idea of jumping tandem would be like somebody having their hands pumping your ass up and down during sex.
Originally Posted by EdM
I seem to recall Birdies Mother doing a jump on her birthday every year now into her 90's?

Yep.

My mom has a bigger set than I do grin
It is tricky jumping from the Cessna. You are sitting down on the floor, and they open that little door. You have to reach out and grab the wing strut. You swing out, and you are hanging by your hands from the wing strut, a half mile above the hard red clay of Georgia. Scary.
58 Army static line jumps. I was Jumpmaster Qualified and had Senior Wings. C-130, C-141, C5A, C-7, CH-47D, and some kind of Fokker (one time). I would not do it now as I would probably shatter my legs on impact. You hit hard with those T-10's!! My standard night landing was feet, ass, head LOL!! Worst jump was on Njimegan; was twisted bad, real bad, ripped my helmet off of my head. I didn't think I would have my ears on when I hit the ground. I was the last jumper, the Jumpmaster and was first on the ground while everyone else was still 250 ft up. I remember I was moving from right to left at a good clip during the descent and going in without a helmet, I told myself if I don't get hurt this time, I will never get hurt. I slammed sideways into a creek bank with no PLF. That probably saved my noggin.
45 jumps in the Army, Senior rated. All the normal birds, plus Casa 212, Uh-60, DC-3. Cracked ribs on one jump, but no other injuries. Not sure that I would sport jump now. Had enough thrills already.
A time or two.
Closest I've come is parasailing. I'm good with that.
I did a tandem jump about 5 years ago and I'd do it again. I'm glad I did it. My wife bought a package for my son and I. We had a blast.
To clarify: The only "perfectly good airplane" has a jump door.

Not jumping would be like having a hot beautiful young lady, you go to her place and she invites you in. And you say, naw, think I will just stay in the truck???????

Taken hundreds on tandem jumps, Accelerated Freefall and static line. Instructor rating on all from USPA. D# 9363 Also a private pilot and have flown many more in Cessna 182 and 206. Both without doors and with a jump door installed. Rather jump than fly any day.

And for the guy that said you had to have oxygen to jump from 14,500. You can easily fly a turbo aircraft at 12,500 and "jump up" to 14,500 in a few seconds and be legal. Done every day at drop zones around the country.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Free fall with a chute might be fun, but doing it with wings or rotor blades can be exciting. It's electrifying!
Never at the controls. I was the GIB.

kwg
I have jumped from a plane 6 times, all with commercial skydiving outfits. Probably twice that many BASE jumps and wing suited a couple of times.

None of it appealed that much to me so I haven't done it in several years, I prefer hanging on to rock.
Originally Posted by BeanMan

Only if you were breathing oxygen
You are correct. It was 13,500, my mistake.
© 24hourcampfire