Home
In particular the model 99-m1. 22lr, tube fed, has a walnut upper stock banded on similar to the ruger 10/22 band. Fashioned to resemble the M1 carbine, but action appears very similar to the model 60.

I have the opportunity to pick one up for my 10yo boy. The seller says its from the early 60's and a tack driver. Are they good rifles? Known problems? The price was "make me an offer". I dont want to rip the ol fella off, but i also dont want to give him $500 for a $150 marlin.

I couldnt find this model in any of the 15 volumes of 'Standard Catalog Of Firearms' i have to get info and ballpark pricing. Is this a rare collectible model? What would be a fair offer?

Thanks!
https://www.marlinowners.com/forums/
Prices have gone up, but still a $200-$300 gun, at best.
It is a Model 60 action but it wasn't a big hit among us levergun guys like the 39A is so it didn't play well with the masses.

It's a better tube-fed than the Model 60 in terms of robustness (thicker tube walls) and it was meant to be a training weapon for the M1 Carbine imho. I wish I owned one honestly and I can guarantee you I have the finest Marlin collection on this forum ... the boys on the MO are top notch.

If you can get it for $150 you should jump on it. They are collectable but not $500 collectable. Depending upon condition somewhere between $200-$350 tops.

They had a good reputation for accuracy. Fwiw though .... I have a 39A that is the most accurate 22LR I own.

Marlin made a helluva gun in the day. I own a bunch of'em.

Know all the guys on MO ... used to know a lot of the guys in New Haven. They gifted me a tour up there back in the day.
Great little rifle. I had one in the sixties.
Thank you for the info!

It looked to be in 90+% condition. ill offer $250, the kid will be happy and get a deal without feeling like i took advantage.

Any reliability issues with these? Are they ammo picky?
I, too, had one in the 60's, though mine was clip-feed rather than tube-feed. I loved that little rifle and regret having traded it off.
Make sure the rear sight is there. They are removable and clamp on the grooved receiver. Not easy to find.
Excellent point, Mike. I think I may still have the adjustable rear sight from my Model 99, which I removed when I attached a Marlin 4X scope.
The clip fed version {M989M2} was my first .22. Still have it and it still works perfectly after thousands of rounds. I have replaced the recoil buffer a couple times over the years and the recoil spring once. It has always been quite accurate and dependable and will still put five mini mags on a nickle from 50 yards.
Old catalog pages.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401738874227

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402019881477

Bruce
Thanks gentlemen, im gonna offer $250. It has the sight. I didn't look it over real close initially, didnt realize the sight was removable
I still have mine. Certain brands of ammo sometimes take a couple hits to light off. Haven’t shot it in a few years and I don’t remember which brand it didn’t like.
You know that all the modern internet operators are screaming at their screens when they see you all say "clip-fed".... laugh

Even the gun manufacturers called them that. Back before we all knew better, I guess. wink
Originally Posted by Stophel
You know that all the modern internet operators are screaming at their screens when they see you all say "clip-fed".... laugh

Even the gun manufacturers called them that. Back before we all knew better, I guess. wink
I have pointed out before that Marlin advertised them as clip fed.
The Marlin M60 has been billed as THE most accurate"out of the box" .22 on the market.
Marlin's "Micro-Groove" rifling (16 lands and grooves) is aces.
I picked up a M60 missing some parts at a pawn shop for $35.
Scrubbed about a pound of gunk out of the action while waiting on parts.
Dude would damn near stack 'em at 25 yards, even with iron sights.
Wish 8 had hung on to it!
Marlin 22's are excellent. They just don't always "look" excellent.
😉
Looks like parts are still mostly available.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/marlinglenfield/rifles-marlin/99m1
I have put about a bazillion rounds through my Model 60 (actually, a "GA22") that I got as my second gun many long years ago. Shot whatever ammo I put through it with no real problems, except when it got too dirty, which it definitely will. I did finally start having some feeding issues, and had to replace the feed throat, as it was pretty worn. I wrote to Marlin, and they just sent me a new feed throat and lifter in the mail (can't do that anymore). Fixed it right up. This is a problem they are known to have after shooting the schidt out of them like we used to.

Now, my gun had the "new model" feed throat, and I believe the older 99M1s had the "old model" feed throat, which I think is in two pieces. One can retrofit the newer style feed throat, with some minor gunsmithing. Just to give you a heads up on a possible problem you may encounter.
They hit what they are shot at and as long as you clean them,get the powder gunk out of the action they just keep rocking.
They are a nice rifle. I had one that was stolen while I was away in college. I have missed that rifle and would buy another if I found one at a reasonable price.
Originally Posted by martinstrummer
The Marlin M60 has been billed as THE most accurate"out of the box" .22 on the market.
Marlin's "Micro-Groove" rifling (16 lands and grooves) is aces.
I picked up a M60 missing some parts at a pawn shop for $35.
Scrubbed about a pound of gunk out of the action while waiting on parts.
Dude would damn near stack 'em at 25 yards, even with iron sights.
Wish 8 had hung on to it!
Marlin 22's are excellent. They just don't always "look" excellent.
😉
yes there barrels are the most acccurate ,but that very hard gritty trigger pull negats a lot of that . the last one i bought a few years ago was about 8 pounds ,tired my finger shooting it ,had to buy a trigger off of rimfire central to make it shootable ,had about 4 mod-60's .past 45 years .everytime i get rid of one ,i always seem to buy another ,. but it works better for me than a ruger 10-22
Back in the Sixties a friend got a Ruger 10-22 for Christmas I received a Marlin....only advantage was his was magazine feed mine was tube feed....we shot 100,000's of rounds threw those guns and we both still have them....well he lost several magazines but the Marlin kept its tube to this day.....
Very similar to the Glenfield m75.
back in 1979 , as a teenager a friend wanted to sell me his marlin mod 99M-1 with clip i loved it because it looked like an M-1 carbine .Dad would not let me buy it ,, i was mad did know it but he had just layed away a new marlin mod.60 for me for Christmas ,to upgrade from my ithaca lever action single shot ..still wish i had been able to buy that
Had a tube fed 99M1 in the 70's.

Wish I had it back!
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Back in the Sixties a friend got a Ruger 10-22 for Christmas I received a Marlin....only advantage was his was magazine feed mine was tube feed....we shot 100,000's of rounds threw those guns and we both still have them....well he lost several magazines but the Marlin kept its tube to this day.....

2020 when the Covid shutdown hit black rifles were flying off the racks, the local Academy was cleaned out, except for a single Marlin Mod 60, blued/wood stock. No one was interested, tho a .22 rifle certainly has a role.

They shortened the Mod 60 at one point IIRC to comply with NJ magazine capacity laws so now it’s a shorter rifle, holds 14 rounds in the tube magazine. I like this new, shorter version better than the originals.

I like Marlin tube mags, but their seven-round clips mags are just irritating.
Picked it up based on yall's recommendations, nice shooting little rifle. Thanks guys.
Originally Posted by harleyjasondavidson
Picked it up based on yall's recommendations, nice shooting little rifle. Thanks guys.

Great. If it starts acting up, and you think it needs a serious cleaning, DO NOT take it apart!! They don’t go back together easily, like a 10/22. Simply take the stock off, get you an aerosol can of Gun Scrubber, or something similar, and hose out the action with it.
Solid advice there. Thanks Fburg
Nice snag, I run across the m1 from time to time in my lgs, usually bring between 350-400 if nice. I have the standard 99. Store I found it in I guess thought it was equivalent to a common model 60 and had it priced for 100. I bought it.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Had a tube fed 99M1 in the 70's.

Wish I had it back!

My Uncle, who was only 6 years older than me had one. I had the Model 60. Both great guns. Super reliable and very accurate too. No telling how many rabbits, skunks, bullfrogs and snapping turtles we killed with them at the Ranch.
I put one up on consignment at my LGS a week back. It has a 3/4” Weaver scope on it. Told the shop to ask $350.
© 24hourcampfire