Home
I keep hearing and reading how common it is to get your cat conv cut. What's your story?

Any way to prevent this from happening?
Cut it off yourself, deny them the chance
Youtube has some videos on encasing your convert/converters to prevent theft.

Neighbor in Florida had them stolen off a new Ford van, said the loud noise scared her pretty good on start-up.
Not yet but a group of darkies stole around 40 from work last fall. They caught them, Harris county slapped them on their pee pees, told them not to do it again.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Yep & add a chip remove the air-filter it'll give you over 500 more horsepower.
I have not.
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Sheeeit

I can get that just with glass pack mufflers and a Thrush sticker on the side window
Ole sckool
Sister's Sequoia got it stolen in Vacaville,CA a while back. I figured it was California stupid stuff until it came to Texas as mentioned especially in Harris County
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Sheeeit

I can get that just with glass pack mufflers and a Thrush sticker on the side window

Need a 3/4 cam, traction bars and some 50s on the rear too.
Don't forget the Cragar's...
Had a converter chopped off of one of my work trucks a bit over a year ago.

A few weeks later, local news ran a couple of stories of some thieves they busted that were working this area.

about 6 months ago, my daughter in law had hers get chopped...she is a teacher, they did it in the daytime while her car was in the school parking lot.

local news says 2000+ vehicles have been hit by thieves since march of last year:

https://www.fox23.com/news/tulsa-cr...verter-theft/TU6JM6BFUVAWLAAJGCB2EF5GQM/
^^^ All this equipment you got yourself a Pro-Street car
No, I can see how easy it'd be,
Had one cut off a box van we had parked at my warehouse . One of my buddies had a valve put in the gas tank of a box truck, that one was a mystery for a while.
They’ve been stealing convertors out from under vehicles for 25-30 years in Hamcunt Tenn

These scoundrels will cut your copper plumbing out and they’ll even cut the coils and condenser out of your heat pumps, even at church.
I’ve not had mine stolen. But I know some people that had theirs stolen.
The radio in the Minneapolis area advertises a place that installs some device that supposedly reduces or eliminates the theft risk. Cost is IIRC is $400.
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve not had mine stolen. But I know some people that had theirs stolen.
The radio in the Minneapolis area advertises a place that installs some device that supposedly reduces or eliminates the theft risk. Cost is IIRC is $400.
Like maybe a welded skid plate or shield ?
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=catalytic+converter+theft+prevention
There's a town here that's got a bunch of Russian illegals. Park there overnight and your ride will be singing a loud tune in the morning.
But why would you want to mess with that platinum stuff. I saw an add saying you can get rich buying one of a kind silver coins (not an official currency of Liberia). Between that and staying at a Holiday Inn Express, I should be a millionaire by September.
I never understood why the authorities dont crack down on the shops buying these.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I never understood why the authorities dont crack down on the shops buying these.

Wanna fix that.

Steal the cat off Officer Badass's jacked up pickup or Surburban.

There will soon be a huge change.

TDGAF!
Guys I work at a ford dealer in Jackson ms..... and over the last couple of years it would blow your mind how many vehicles come in with converters cut out from under them CHURCH BUSES ESPECIALLY....... it’s been unreal And they ARENT CHEAP........
Never had one stolen yet
But
My two neighbors across the street from me had theirs stolen and one a couple houses up from me.
Just a matter of time I suspect .
A groid cut mine from my F350 at 11:30 a.m. in the center of a Home Depot parking lot. Feb. 2021.
Then the ass hole waited and watched me start the truck. Oh to have a grenade launcher. Fried groid.
Oh well, their careers don't last long when they get 3 40 cal hollow points in the melon.

Police said HDs lot cams are so schitty that they can't even get plates off them.
3 friends have had cc's from their trucks while parked at Portland airport this year in secured parking.

Welcome to Obama/Biden restorative justice0- do the crime and serve no time.
That's why they are so brazen now just like alll of the criminals in our society
Kid at work had his stollen from a f150.... when the insurance paid for the new one he had the muffler shop install it with flanges and a plain pipe to use for everyday.... he put the cat in his garage and will put it on when he needs to smog the pickup.
I have
I haven't but there were a lot of guys getting their's stolen about a year ago in Des Moines. I kept mine locked in the garage with Ring lights on.
Well the thieves are keeping me employed. Weld a chunk of 1/2 inch rebar before and after, problem solved.
They're doing it at boat ramps around here while people are out on the lake.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I keep hearing and reading how common it is to get your cat conv cut. What's your story?

Any way to prevent this from happening?
It happened to an RN where my wife has worked... She came out after work and found out they'd sawed off her CC.... But she had parked in the 'back lot' next to some dense trees and a hedge.....perfect cover for a CC thief...

Azzwholes...
Originally Posted by KenMi
A groid cut mine from my F350 at 11:30 a.m. in the center of a Home Depot parking lot. Feb. 2021.
No one heard or saw anything?!!!
spray painted mine with a neon caliper paint, then etched the last 4 digits of the VIN based on recommendation from news report I watched.

that way when its stolen I can go down to the scrap shop and point out which one is mine
Just got this in one of my news feeds.

Seems to be a common theme in these thefts:
"Swearinger was then detained and the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office discovered marijuana, methamphetamine pills and fentanyl in his possession."

Six men arrested for 131 catalytic converter thefts

[Linked Image from gray-waff-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com]

By Nick Kremer
Published: Jul. 26, 2022 at 10:07 AM CDT|Updated: 31 minutes ago

LIMESTONE Co., Ala. (WAFF) - The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office says that it has arrested six people and charged them with a total of 131 charges related to catalytic converter thefts.

According to a Facebook post from the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, a catalytic convert business in Athens was suspected of unlawful sales. L and C Converters is a secondary metal recycler that purchases catalytic converters but according to Alabama law, that is illegal unless the entire car is purchased.

The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office observed converts being sold for cash at the business and contacted the individuals. Upon making contact, law enforcement discovered that the man delivering converters, Gary Swearinger, had a warrant with the Athens Police Department.

Swearinger was then detained and the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office discovered marijuana, methamphetamine pills and fentanyl in his possession.

Investigators also discovered 36 catalytic converters in plain view at the shop and shop owner, Jimmy Free Jr. did not have documentation for any of the converts

Free Jr. was arrested and charged with 36 counts of ownership documentation required for catalytic converter purchase. Free is being held at the Limestone County Detention Center with a $180,000 bond. Swearinger was arrested and charged with three counts of possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana, he has been released from the Limestone County Detention Center on a $8,500 bond.

Limestone County Sheriff, Joshua McLaughlin says that he will not tolerate catalytic converter thefts in Limestone County.

We have arrested 6 individuals, on a total of 131 charges related to the theft of catalytic converters, in the past 12 days,” McLaughlin said. “We will not tolerate catalytic converter crimes in Limestone County.”

From WAFF 48 News
I always throw my dog's crap where I park. That and poison oak clippings.

Seems to be a deterrent.
pass a law saying its legal to shoot a man messing with your car
Originally Posted by Beoceorl

"Swearinger was then detained and the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office discovered marijuana, methamphetamine pills and fentanyl in his possession."

By Nick Kremer

LIMESTONE Co., Ala. (WAFF) - The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office says that it has arrested six people and charged them with a total of 131 charges related to catalytic converter thefts.

According to a Facebook post from the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, a catalytic convert business in Athens was suspected of unlawful sales. L and C Converters is a secondary metal recycler that purchases catalytic converters but according to Alabama law, that is illegal unless the entire car is purchased.

The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office observed converts being sold for cash at the business and contacted the individuals. Upon making contact, law enforcement discovered that the man delivering converters, Gary Swearinger, had a warrant with the Athens Police Department.

Swearinger was then detained and the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office discovered marijuana, methamphetamine pills and fentanyl in his possession.

Investigators also discovered 36 catalytic converters in plain view at the shop and shop owner, Jimmy Free Jr. did not have documentation for any of the converts

Free Jr. was arrested and charged with 36 counts of ownership documentation required for catalytic converter purchase. Free is being held at the Limestone County Detention Center with a $180,000 bond. Swearinger was arrested and charged with three counts of possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana, he has been released from the Limestone County Detention Center on a $8,500 bond.

Limestone County Sheriff, Joshua McLaughlin says that he will not tolerate catalytic converter thefts in Limestone County.

We have arrested 6 individuals, on a total of 131 charges related to the theft of catalytic converters, in the past 12 days,” McLaughlin said. “We will not tolerate catalytic converter crimes in Limestone County.”

From WAFF 48 News

You gotta know in someplace like Limestone County, people would know him. And if they had had a converter sawn off, he’d be a ripe candidate for an ass kicking. Hope he (they)gets some genuine homestyle comeuppance

By Nick Kremer

From WAFF 48 News

Subhuman morlochs. That's drugs for ya.

By Nick Kremer

From WAFF 48 News

You gotta know in someplace like Limestone County, people would know him. And if they had had a converter sawn off, he’d be a ripe candidate for an ass kicking. Hope he (they)gets some genuine homestyle comeuppance

Yeah, the people who do this stuff are almost always well known, especially to the local cops.

By Nick Kremer

From WAFF 48 News

75 years ago their residence & vehicles would have been fire-bombed.
Today nobody does anything, so why would a thief stop thieving.
My 33 year old daughter has a car I gave her and still pay for licence and insurance.
She parked in Seattle and lost the converter.
They were back ordered for 3 months.
It cost me $2k for a converter and converter chastity belt.

I was told that model car will not keep a converter overnight in Seattle.
had them try once till my dog dragged him out from under the truck, had him on security footage and didn't get out in time, had to get the cut welded. on a silverado they aren't easy to get too so he was trying to situated to get cutting. guy needed surgery after the dog was done with him. he did try to sue me SOB
Not exactly - The thieves stole my whole Cadillac Convertible!
If anyone ever stole one of mine they'd be in for a disappointment.
Buddy had it cut out of his truck while at work. Did $3,500 in damage.
They’ve been stealing convertors out from under vehicles for 25-30 years in Hamcunt Tenn

These scoundrels will cut your copper plumbing out and they’ll even cut the coils and condenser out of your heat pumps, even at church.

Good way to get struck by lightin’

🙌🏻🙌🏻
Can't be too hard for the cops to ask these idiots who they're selling to.
Originally Posted by tjm10025

There you have it.

Illegal to sell or install a used cat in NY State where I worked, but sure it happens often enough. Not sure of the laws in other states.

I can't remember off hand ever replacing a stolen catalytic converter. Did plenty of exhaust work over the years.

BTW, there are very little quantities of precious metals (platinum and rhodium) in the average converter.

-Ken
Outlaws MC and White Bikers Association run the recycle centers in some places.

Some things….you leave it alone.
You don’t go hiking your brady bunch slacks up to the armpits and go in to the scale house and start runnin that yap. 🤣

Ya don’t tug on superman’s cape 🤣🤣
I know a family that built their own house in Seattle. THey sold it and moved to the suburbs to avoid the crime. THe problem was crazy people knocking on the door all night.

During the BLM and antifa riots, there was a square mile of downtown Seattle with all windows broken and boarded up with plywood.
Originally Posted by kendibs

There you have it.

Illegal to sell or install a used cat in NY State where I worked, but sure it happens often enough. Not sure of the laws in other states.

I can't remember off hand ever replacing a stolen catalytic converter. Did plenty of exhaust work over the years.

BTW, there are very little quantities of precious metals (platinum and rhodium) in the average converter.

-Ken

That's how they caught the guys in the story I posted above.
A local place had four converters stolen from their vans, so they contacted VSI LLC (Vehicle Security Innovators) (920 499-0022) and had their Cat Raps installed on their fleet and haven't lost any more converters since. It looks like a plate that attaches above the converter that cable wraps the converter.
No! I take mine off and put it under my bed till the next AM!
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
No! I take mine off and put it under my bed till the next AM!

Had I known that earlier, I would have offered you a job!

-Ken
The financing guy at a local Toyota place had his catalytic converter stolen in the Toyota parking lot while he was at work. He was a might peeved. Brand new vehicle, he'd only had it a month when he got snaked.
I cut mine off my first pickup. Replaced with a straight pipe. No more brush fires in the dry months. Used to burn leaded fuel too. Those were the good old days.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by KenMi
No one heard or saw anything?!!!

Groids cover for groids. And, I think there was a lot associate that helped out as well. But, no proof.

$100 out of my pocket. Insurance paid the $1200 bill, as well as a 2 day SUV rental.

Welded rebar is a great idea, but better yet inside the pipe. They hit that and they will be stopped quick
© 24hourcampfire