Home
Posted By: Ky221 Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Long story short. Picked this new 2022 Street Twin up from the dealer a few weeks ago. When I arrived to pick it up, I immediately noticed oil under the bike. When I inquired about it, I was told it was "cosmoline" and not to worry that it would burn off in the first couple of rides. Had my doubts but said ok and went about the day. 600 miles later and this is how bad the "cosmoline" has gotten. Took it back to the shop on Monday and they said "clearly that isn't cosmoline". All I could think to say was "no shiiit". Not sure how I feel about having people who don't know cosmoline from Castrol in there wrenching around on stuff but we will see what happens. Not at all upset, mechanical stuff breaks, I get it. Just curious to see what the issue is, and if I'm gonna experience more issues with the bike later on down the road.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
facebook link image size
Posted By: mathman Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Do you know why they quit making television sets in England?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Wow

I hope they make you whole with no guff.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
I want a new bike.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Let's just say I didn't get anything I asked for.

I got the cookie cutter response that the bike is under warranty and it will be fixed.

First I asked for a new engine as i just paid cash 2 weeks ago for an OEM one and I don't like the fact that the engine has to be torn into so early in the game. He assured me a new engine wasn't gonna happen. Then I told him I wanted an extended warranty then and he told me to take that up with Triumph. After speaking with a guy from Triumph yesterday he told me I won't have any issue getting my extended warranty. Dealership kinda sucks though.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Yep, that's no bueno.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
My '55 BSA 650 leaked too.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Geeze...wouldn't give you a new engine for an oil leak?

Maybe ask for a new bike at your first oil change. Might work.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Hope the dealer makes it right. My last Triumph was a ‘98 adventurer. Has a ‘95 Tiger “steamer” that I wish I’d never sold. Zero issues out of either bike.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Sounds like you got a free oil change courtesy of the manufacturer.

Let's see. Dealership is 2.5 hours away. So I'm there and back 5 hours trailering the bike to them for an issue I asked about before an ounce of paperwork was signed. Then there is the trip back there to get it when it's ready, 6 pairs of pants ruined and a pair of boots covered in oil, then the idea of having a brand new motor split and wrenched on. Not to mention that while out riding the oil light came on, bike had to be pulled off the road while a buddy made a trip into town to get oil to bring it back home. So I'm a bit worried about the internals and if maybe there is damage.

Yea Nah, I don't think asking for a new engine / extended warranty is too much to ask for .

Guess I ought to just leave my pipes looking like 20
years of neglect too instead of asking for a new set.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Shoulda bought a Harley.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
It's British, so if there's no oil *under* it, there's probly no oil *in* it.

It's a safety thing.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by Ky221
Long story short. Picked this new 2022 Street Twin up from the dealer a few weeks ago. When I arrived to pick it up, I immediately noticed oil under the bike. When I inquired about it, I was told it was "cosmoline" and not to worry that it would burn off in the first couple of rides. Had my doubts but said ok and went about the day. 600 miles later and this is how bad the "cosmoline" has gotten. Took it back to the shop on Monday and they said "clearly that isn't cosmoline". All I could think to say was "no shiiit". Not sure how I feel about having people who don't know cosmoline from Castrol in there wrenching around on stuff but we will see what happens.

facebook link image size

That looks like every other Triumph I've seen.

They are the answer to any oil shortage. Add a quart, and they leak two.

Still, they're Classic and have a definite Cool factor.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Triumph has one of the most modern factories of any manufacturer since they rebuilt after the Hinckley factory burned. These aren’t “your fathers” Triumph’s.
I’d almost bet something happened at your dealer and not at the factory.

Also, very cool bike. Hold their feet to the fire, get it fixed and ride the fugk out of it.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
That bike leaks more than my '72 Daytona that I rebuilt from salvage yard parts. I blamed it on the egg-sized hole in the crankcase that was welded up causing warpage and bad joint between the case halves. Pushrod tubes always leaked bad as well.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Triumph has one of the most modern factories of any manufacturer since they rebuilt after the Hinckley factory burned. These aren’t “your fathers” Triumph’s.
I’d almost bet something happened at your dealer and not at the factory.

The fact that anyone can look at that much oil on the ground and think it's remotely ok is mind numbing to me. That amount of oil leaked in about 15 minutes after being parked.

My first thought was a gasket but I wonder if the block could be porous, as it's quite difficult to pinpoint exactly where the oil is coming from.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
JB Weld
Cylinder base/crankcase leak?
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22

Let's see. Dealership is 2.5 hours away. So I'm there and back 5 hours trailering the bike to them for an issue I asked about before an ounce of paperwork was signed. Then there is the trip back there to get it when it's ready, 6 pairs of pants ruined and a pair of boots covered in oil, then the idea of having a brand new motor split and wrenched on.

Yea Nah, I don't think asking for a new engine because I don't want one that has been wrenched on right outta the gate is a huge thing to ask for.

Yer right. Big Jim just likes to fill in the asswhole spot a bit when Deflave is busy cooking schiett.
Forgive me if I missed it:

Is the block cracked?

Or is this a gasket situation?
Originally Posted by slumlord

Is the block cracked?

motorcycles have crankcases, cars/trucks have blocks

Is the block cracked?

If it's cracked I, nor can anyone else see it. My guess is a gasket but I won't know until next week sometime.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Bummer, new bike shouldn't leak oil for at least 1000 miles.

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen a Triumph that didn't leak oil.
Posted By: crittrgittr Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
It's just cosmoline just wipe it off and go ride
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
New bike and new shop.
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs

Is the block cracked?

motorcycles have crankcases, cars/trucks have blocks

😃😃

Ok

I’ll start calling that little doo hickey valve a positive block ventilator when I go to Napa. 👍

I yield to superior intelligence. 😃

Originally Posted by jaguartx

Let's see. Dealership is 2.5 hours away. So I'm there and back 5 hours trailering the bike to them for an issue I asked about before an ounce of paperwork was signed. Then there is the trip back there to get it when it's ready, 6 pairs of pants ruined and a pair of boots covered in oil, then the idea of having a brand new motor split and wrenched on.

Yea Nah, I don't think asking for a new engine because I don't want one that has been wrenched on right outta the gate is a huge thing to ask for.

Yer right. Big Jim just likes to fill in the asswhole spot a bit when Deflave is busy cooking schiett.

Six pairs of pants and boots ruined too?

I smell a class action lawsuit!

Double sheesh...the stupid thing is under warranty.

Everyone pisses and moans about how great their warranty is...but cuss it when they have to use it.
Not pissing and moaning, not even upset. Just sharing new bike woes but whatever man.....comb your hair sometime.
Posted By: DMc Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
A close friend bought a Triumph brand new and was overwhelmed with maintenance issues. Finally forced the dealership to refund his money. Bought a Honda and never had another problem.

When I was about 12-13, A kid was killed on a Triumph the first day he bought it. His mother (at the scene of the accident) told the guys standing around to take the motorcycle if anyone wanted it.

These are my only experiences with Triumphs.

Personally on street bikes, I've always been a Harley guy and no stranger to maintenance problems either.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
The drive time would piss me off for sure.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22

Let's see. Dealership is 2.5 hours away. So I'm there and back 5 hours trailering the bike to them for an issue I asked about before an ounce of paperwork was signed. Then there is the trip back there to get it when it's ready, 6 pairs of pants ruined and a pair of boots covered in oil, then the idea of having a brand new motor split and wrenched on. Not to mention that while out riding the oil light came on, bike had to be pulled off the road while a buddy made a trip into town to get oil to bring it back home. So I'm a bit worried about the internals and if maybe there is damage.

Yea Nah, I don't think asking for a new engine / extended warranty is too much to ask for .

If I were you, I'd be all out of pants. Have to do my next rode in my shorty shorts.
Posted By: CRJ1960 Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Most dealerships are asses. Was looking at a new Honda Big Red many moons ago and a guy maybe 18-19 years old comes back in with his week old bike. One of the fiberglass saddle bags had fallen off and drug down the road by the blinker wires. The dealership had installed the bags as an option. The smart ass salesman that had sold him the bike asked him if he had insurance? I wanted to slap the piss out of him right there. I got in the truck and went into Houston and bought my bike from somewhere else.
Head down to Goodwill fer some riding pants.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
How did we get to 6 pairs of pants before we started thinking perhaps something aint right?
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
It's a Turnip- - - - -should have known better from the git-go!
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Seem to recall an old joke about Norton Commandos: If it doesn't leak oil, take it back to the dealership and they'll made sure it does
Originally Posted by DMc
A close friend bought a Triumph brand new and was overwhelmed with maintenance issues. Finally forced the dealership to refund his money. Bought a Honda and never had another problem.

When I was about 12-13, A kid was killed on a Triumph the first day he bought it. His mother (at the scene of the accident) told the guys standing around to take the motorcycle if anyone wanted it.

Personally on street bikes, I've always been a Harley guy and no stranger to maintenance problems either.

The z900RS Kawasaki is looking good right now.
Posted By: pal Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by Fubarski
It's British...

Pretty sure that bike is made in Thailand.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Not pissing and moaning, not even upset. Just sharing new bike woes but whatever man.....comb your hair sometime.
Hahahahah!
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by DMc

A mother at the scene of her child's death was concerned about who would own the bike going forward? Interesting.

Was the kid killed by an oil leak?
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
That bike was broken when they sold it to you!... They either lied to you or they're flat stupid... I'd push for a new bike... They can fix that one and resell it... Find out who the "Zone Rep" is (if Triumph has zone reps?) or go higher up the ladder at Triumph if you can and plead your case... As a last resort you might even contact the state DMV motor vehicle dealer inspector... He may hold their feet to the fire...
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22

Whoa! Dude way over the line there, Big Jim has a beautiful head of hair.
Posted By: benchman Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Looks like somebody didn't torque the heads! Offhand, I'd say a gasket leak. Can't see everything though.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
I still can't believe someone on the planet owns a Triumph and expects it to be a Honda.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Seem to recall an old joke about Norton Commandos: If it doesn't leak oil, take it back to the dealership and they'll made sure it does

That’s mean. 😂😂. This one works ok and this Triumph didn’t leak.

Hope the OP gets some satisfaction from the dealer. I would be more than upset.

Posted By: ol_mike Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
I'd take it back and put my hand out waiting for my money back. Other option I 'might' settle for is them coming to get it and return it to me in perfect working order, 100% clean and shiny like a ''NEW' bike should be.

Any balk from them, inform them you'll see them in court, they don't want that bad press. NO WAY would I spend my money,time,wear and tear hauling it back to them, this is 100% 'on them', don't let them get away with screwing you over.
Brand new motorcycle leaks over a quart of oil and somehow it's to be expected and I'm the bad guy. Never ceases to amaze. 😂😂😂 This is good.

How does one manage 49k posts in 6 years?
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
What's your plan ?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
I would venture to guess it's the bottom of the cylinder or top of the crankcase as a manufacturing flaw where gasket seats them together
Therefore the gasket won't totally seal it.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by ldholton
I would venture to guess it's the bottom of the cylinder or top of the crankcase as a manufacturing flaw where gasket seats them together
Therefore the gasket won't totally seal it.
Then they'll just smear some goop on it... #Getanewbike
Brand new motorcycle leaks over a quart of oil and somehow it's to be expected and I'm the bad guy. Never ceases to amaze. 😂😂😂 This is good.

How does one manage 49k posts in 6 years?

Call Saul.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
I can feel your pain.

I bought a brand new ‘94 BMW R100GSPD that year, it was gonna be the bike I kept forever.

The cosmoline it dripped riding it home really was cosmoline, the other problems weren’t, including faulty engine cases replaced under warranty. One problem after another over the next two years until I finally sold it.

Like you, I was 100+ miles away from the dealer in Austin.

I’m not aware that the modern Triumphs have problems. I would do what you probably have done already; get on the owner’s forums and ask around.

They sold you a faulty product, I hope you get a new motor out of the deal at least.
A new motor....for a fugging oil leak??

Sheesh.

E bikes is what you people need.
A new motor....for a fugging oil leak??

Sheesh.

E bikes is what you people need.

Anyway.

Can you tell me one reason why I should have to settle for a defective one? Can you tell me why I have to have a brand new motorcycle that had zero miles on it that I walked in and paid cash for already have the engine torn into? Can you tell me why I shouldn't be given a new motor after the headache, expense, time off work taking it back down there when it was sold to me in this condition AFTER I pointed it out and was told not to worry it's just cosmoline?
An oil leak does not necessarily constitute a defective engine. Some fugging Chinaman fugged up a gasket.

He has already been fed to the pigs by Corporate....so take it easy man.

You wouldn't have bought the bike with out a warranty...would you?
Posted By: rainshot Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
They should make it good. Hopefully it's just a bad gasket and not a warped case or cracked case. Triumph was always a decent scooter. I owned one and a BSA too. The Triumph was smoother because of the smaller bore and longer stroke. The BSA was faster in the quarter. It ate Sportsters up drag racing but the big bore and short stroke shook every finder loose headlight, tail light, nothing was safe from that quaking but the SOB ran. Lucas electrics were my main complaint.
Hope it goes well for you. Hang in there and don't take no guff from them.
Posted By: SquibLoad Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
It's just cosmoline just wipe it off and go ride

Could always wrap it up in black trash bags and sit it out in the sun.
Posted By: fester Re: Well that sucks. - 07/28/22
Loose bolts somewhere. Put a wrench on it
I blew up a Polaris Scrambler. Brand new, had it 1 hour.

Run it it 60-70 mph. A wheeler. Booooom 🤦🏻💀💥

2” hole in the side of the engine.

Carried it back to the dealership. Yo mfers, my shît blew up.

Warranty claim started. A piece of teflon leaned-out the jet and ran it well…lean. So they hypothesized.

No new bike, waited a month for complete rebuild. No loaner, no nothing, sorry, kiss my ass, no free helmet, no stickers, no free oil change to make me happy.

Still have it, that was 1995. No further problems. Still runs.

I don’t sell wheelers, I don’t sell firearms, I don’t get a fresh wife every 5 years from The Boar’s Nest or Ybor City.

Warranty claim started. A piece of teflon leaned-out the jet and ran it well…lean. So they hypothesized.

No new bike, waited a month for complete rebuild. No loaner, no nothing, sorry, kiss my ass, no free helmet, no stickers, no free oil change to make me happy.

I don’t sell wheelers, I don’t sell firearms, I don’t get a fresh wife every 5 years from The Boar’s Nest or Ybor City.

I would have demanded access to the Corporate jet.
An oil leak does not necessarily constitute a defective engine. Some fugging Chinaman fugged up a gasket.

He has already been fed to the pigs by Corporate....so take it easy man.

You wouldn't have bought the bike with out a warranty...would you?

I'm not mad? I wasn't rude, the guy actually told me "I'm glad you didn't come in raising helll" my exact words were "why be mad? Stuff breaks" but yea. I did ask for a new engine or at the minimum an extended warranty and a cleaned up bike.
We are with ya on extended warranty.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Well that sucks. - 07/29/22
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Shoulda bought a Harley.
No kidding.

Would have been a quart of oil there, no mistaking it for cosmolene.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Well that sucks. - 07/29/22

I would have demanded access to the Corporate jet.

I’m a patient person. And I had tons of weed then too. That month passed in no time.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Well that sucks. - 08/06/22
Update-

Per the dealership. Cause of oil leak was "Hole in cylinder head along with a few other pin holes in the casting of the block"

The fix- order parts that should be in by august 22nd, then it goes into the lineup to be repaired.

Maybe I can ride next year.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Well that sucks. - 08/06/22
Update-

Per the dealership. Cause of oil leak was "Hole in cylinder head along with a few other pin holes in the casting of the block"

The fix- order parts that should be in by august 22nd, then it goes into the lineup to be repaired.

Maybe I can ride next year.
Sucks. Hope you get it back and it was an isolated issue.
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
Me too man.
Posted By: BeardedGunsmith Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
Those of you saying that he should just let the dealership repair it have never worked as an auto tech and seen some of the "quality" work of other coworkers. Missing bolts, busted plastic, non torqued fasteners was commonplace. I worked with a guy, if he had to do dashboard work, when you got it back half of your schitt was superglued back together.
Posted By: shootem Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
Reminds me of a really big LC cartoon. A rider on the side of the road with an obviously broke down Triumph. He’s holding a sign that says “I’m beyond help”.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
Not much of a consolation but that’s a beautiful machine.

Hope they do right by you and get it fixed to enjoy.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
You might get another motor out of it, pinholes in the crankcase are a serious defect.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
Originally Posted by Fubarski
It's British, so if there's no oil *under* it, there's probly no oil *in* it.

It's a safety thing.

Feature, not a bug.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
You haven't told them to keep it yet?
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
Give it a good wax job when you get it back, and paint big bright yellow lemons on it with water-based paint. Then park it in front of the dealership (on the public road) a few days a week.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Well that sucks. - 08/07/22
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Those of you saying that he should just let the dealership repair it have never worked as an auto tech and seen some of the "quality" work of other coworkers. Missing bolts, busted plastic, non torqued fasteners was commonplace. I worked with a guy, if he had to do dashboard work, when you got it back half of your schitt was superglued back together.
+1... Been There... Seen That...
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Well that sucks. - 09/08/22
Update. Got a call yesterday from triumph.

After all the headache, they decided that a new bike is in order. 6,000$ worth of damage for a 10,000$ motorcycle. They said it would take 3 weeks and asked if I was ok with that. I said, well you have already had my bike for 2 months so yea I think I can wait another 3 weeks.

Seems as if asking for a new bike wasn't crazy after all.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Well that sucks. - 09/08/22
Maybe that was a lemon and not their standard QC. Prayers
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Well that sucks. - 09/08/22
I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out. I hope the replacement bike doesn't have the same issues. Best wishes all the way around.
© 24hourcampfire