Home
Posted By: wabigoon Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Sine, and cosine? Anybody understand it?
Posted By: EdM Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Nope.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
At a school reunion, I asked my teacher about it, I don't think he ever did?
Posted By: mathman Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

Sounds like trigonometry to me.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Sine and cosine are trigonomic functions. Used them quite a bit when working in a Machine shop in the 80s.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Pie are square
I may have flunked both classes.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Cosine, secant, tangent, sine, 3.14159.
Seriously, when do you use either/
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I hated algebra. It’s best to look at it as the the language of mathematics. Trig and calc are pretty cool. Algebra is the language requirement.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by EdM

Nope.

Ha. I am sure you jest, Ed.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
unless you need it math sucks........
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I wish I’d paid more attention in Spanish Class.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Sine for yourself, but be leerie of cosining for someone else.

I used to to use it to figure out bolt hole patterns on the x and y axis.
Posted By: wldthg Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Trig.
At any rate, Bill Hall, our principal, got me into a freshman shop class, and I graduated on time.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Used Trig all the time when fitting pipe in the factory.

You need to run a 8 inch diameter line across 42 feet horizontal distance. But you also have 12 feet vertical offset. How long do you make the transitional piece And what are the angles of the elbows to connect it?

A squared plus B squared equals C squared will get you the answer to the first question. But you're gonna need trig to answer the second.
Only a very small percentage of the population have seen truly advanced algebra.
Posted By: bcp Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Bruce
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Math makes me sad…..
Posted By: gene270 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
i hated math and was dumb at it....farmer math for me where numbers make sense
Posted By: cuznguido Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Pie are square
Nope. Pie are round. Cornbread are square. Straight from the lips of Justin Wilson.
I can figure the area of a circle; I whipped the volume of an ice cream cone on daughter's homework,
the formula was with the problem.
I can figure the area of a circle; I whipped the volume of an ice cream cone on daughter's homework,
the formula was with the problem.

Cosine multiplied by the distance to target provides the horizontal distance to your target that's at a different elevation than you are so you can determine the bullet drop for a long shot.

Some rangefinders do the math for you, but it's still useful knowledge.
Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

You need to run a 8 inch diameter line across 42 feet horizontal distance. But you also have 12 feet vertical offset. How long do you make the transitional piece And what are the angles of the elbows to connect it?

A squared plus B squared equals C squared will get you the answer to the first question. But you're gonna need trig to answer the second.
Same.

As an electrician pulling wire is easy but figuring out runs and bends of conduit so that it looks “workman like” can be a challenge. Phone aps help but you still need to understand the concept and what to plug in.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Just words for ratios of the sides of a right triangle.

Sine is the opposite/ hypotenuse

Cosine is the adjacent/ hypotenuse

Tangent is the opposite/ adjacent

These are the basics of Trigonometry which is used heavily in surveying and engineering.

We will leave it there. What you dont know wont hurt you. Or give you a headache.

Where's Mathman? Did you giys run him off? He would be all over this.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Made sense at one time, but lack of use has made much advanced math go into hiding, somewhere in my skull.
I may have learned more on this site, then six weeks in school.

I still don't think the teacher understood it.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by mathman

Yeah, different math class........chances for a hot lady prof greatly diminished....
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I was one of the first to speak out against math.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Went through multivariable calculus. Came easy for me, nothing too terrible.
I remember solving trinomial equations in High School. I have no memory of how we solved them, but I know we did. I got an A in the class.
Posted By: dassa Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

Lots of people understand the trigonometry version of sine and cosine. It's the advanced algebra sine and cosine that has everyone baffled.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I made straight As in both units
(Years) of high school algebra

Had a great teacher. Which was rare for our school system.

Hit it off with college trig professor too. Older lady, farm type gal. Actually liked her enough that I brought her a 1/2 bushel of blue lakes that I grew one afternoon. Her husband was also one of our high school teachers back across other side of the county.
You couldn’t be no dunce though, she would write and work problems with her right hand and erase with her left hand. Better get it the first time or you were shît outta luck.
Big on Law of sines, cosines, tangents, trigonometric functions and equations, lots application math. She knew many of us Geoscience and Spatial Analysis people needed those for Quant and Stats, Hydrology and Hydrogeology.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Trig functions explained scores a lot of poontang wherever there's a ladies night taking place.....
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I used to be pretty fair with trig but it's been a loooong time since I've used it. I took 3 semesters of calculus in college and came out with no clue at all as to what it was for. They taught theory, not practical application. Some years later, I considered going back and studying engineering. I knew I'd need to brush up on the calc. A friend who taught at the local college gave me a business calculus book that a book salesman had given him as a sample. It was full of practical application. The light switch turned on. So THAT was what it was for. Why didn't they teach it that way before?
Posted By: persiandog Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

they are used in ballistics apps.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

You? Never.

SOH CAH TOA dawg.
Posted By: Oakster Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

Remember the acronym Sohcahtoa.... it tells you what you need to do, know or compare to.
Sin=opposite side over hypotenuse (Soh)
Cos = adjecent side over hypotenuse (cah)
Tan = Opposite side over Adjacent (toa)

The are relationships of the lengths of the sides to the angle that forms them. If you know any two of the 3 parts of one of those equations, you can solve for the remaining piece.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
The length of the days, plotted over time, makes a perfect sine-wave.

That's all the practical trig understanding I have. I knew all the college level calculations at one time, not clue one about what to do with it. It was a weed-out course, still have nightmares of "never went to class, time for the final".
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Some old horse s.o.h
Caught another horse c.a.h
Taking oats away t.o.a

Sine = opposite/hypotenuse
Cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse
Tan = opposite/adjacent

All you need to know about trig.
Posted By: Steve Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by Pat85

I used to to use it to figure out bolt hole patterns on the x and y axis.

When you want to correct a three axis MEMS magnetometer by way of an aligned three axis accelerometer to get a bearing when your instrument is tilted or rolled. Like when it's pointing at a drone that's carrying a grenade drop on you.

When you want to project a location from your current location in Lat and Lon from the previous derived bearing and a given distance.

When you want send a drone to that location because it is carrying a grenade drop on you.

Off the top of my head...
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

Tomorrow we tackle secant, cosecant, and cotangent.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Pie are square

Pie are round.

Bread are square.
Posted By: super T Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I could ask my 19-year-old grandson who got a perfect math score on the SAT, he'd know.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I used to know a bit of trig,...then CAD software turned up and caused me to forget it all.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
lol, my 9 yr old grandson is doing calculus, he will tell you he has a calculator in his head and that he is going to work for space X.
Posted By: Steve Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I used to know a bit of trig,...then CAD software turned up and caused me to forget it all.

I used to know how to get someplace, but my phone got mapping software. But I can project that someplace on the earth in Lat and Lon.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
This week I have been tapering my bull barrels down to sporter barrels.
The angle is so small, I cannot use the degrees scale on the compound. I have to use geometry.

The sine button on my calculator has dust on it.

Turn the crank for 3 hours and put 6 pounds of steel chips in the trash.
The orig. equation ---- Pi r not squared--- pi's r round ----- brownies r squared---- invented by the same person who invented Venison Orsini
Posted By: hookeye Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Used to use some algebra and trig in my old job.
No calculus.

Hated Calc in college.
Got good at Calc 1.....by the end of Calc 2 LOL
Posted By: colodog Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I Use trig and algebra all the time for construction math but I don't need to understand it to do it longhand on paper anymore.
I use a Jobber 6 calculator! The way God intended us to do trig/algebra.

That's enough to keep the buckethead coworkers away, they're allergic to math or learning!
Originally Posted by Bristoe

The last several years it was A square +B square =C square to lay out foundations. An app on my phone does that now.
Posted By: hanco Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Got through it in high school, forgot it all!
Odd, the ol' 'fire is, I'll ask a question, and think it will get some answers, and it won't, then again---.

Without know all about it, I think computer programs have taken over a lot of human thinking.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Dumb a sses! Products of NTA!!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Odd, the ol' 'fire is, I'll ask a question, and think it will get some answers, and it won't, then again---.

Without know all about it, I think computer programs have taken over a lot of human thinking.

Your OP title says algebra, but post body asks trig......

So which is it?

I like trig.....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce
I have to laugh because I describe algebra as math with the alphabet.
Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
(a + b)^2 = a2 + 2ab + b2 (or) (a - b)^2 = a2 - 2ab + b2

heat of the meat + square of the hair = eye of the pie

har!
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

If you do it on Auto-Cad it does that math for you. This was the point I decided Auto-Cad and being a Cad drawer was not for me.

kwg
I had a friend in college studying engineering. This was in the late 60's. He bought one of the 1st engineering calculators to hit the market. IIRC, he paid over $400. That was a bundle back then. Now you can buy a better one than he had for $20 and a MUCH better one for under $100.
I was using a slide rule at that time. I still have it here somewhere but I don't know if I remember how to use it.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Pie are square

I'm no Mathlete but I do know pies is round, foo.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I was one of the first to speak out against math.

grin laugh laugh

Stand strong brother!!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I can go to my always open AutoCad window and knock out any lines and angles and then dimension it in a few seconds (and I do it almost daily), quicker than I can google high school trig to refresh myself on what I've not used over the last 25+ years.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I made straight As in both units
(Years) of high school algebra

Had a great teacher. Which was rare for our school system.

Hit it off with college trig professor too. Older lady, farm type gal. Actually liked her enough that I brought her a 1/2 bushel of blue lakes that I grew one afternoon. Her husband was also one of our high school teachers back across other side of the county.
You couldn’t be no dunce though, she would write and work problems with her right hand and erase with her left hand. Better get it the first time or you were shît outta luck.
Big on Law of sines, cosines, tangents, trigonometric functions and equations, lots application math. She knew many of us Geoscience and Spatial Analysis people needed those for Quant and Stats, Hydrology and Hydrogeology.

Whew!! Look at the brain on you! I would not have been allowed to clean her erasers.
Just how does all this white man's math differ from black man's math? Do black sines and cosines have different functions?
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Only a very small percentage of the population have seen truly advanced algebra.

If by advanced algebra were are still defining trig, this isn't really true. Every electrical engineer EE my age still has a couple of slide rules designed specifically for trig functions. Every computer engineer, whether an EE of not, uses trig to run R-C time calcs to time computers. Every civil engineer has to learn and be functional in it.

One of my favorite teachers was a trig genius. He would come into class each morning and put a complex circuit up on the board, list a few voltage/current parameters and then tell us he wanted all the specs on the circuit. He then left for the rest of the day, and we had to provide it all by the next day. Component specs and all the parameters of the rest of the circuit. He made masters of us in analysis, and calculus became obvious when it had to be used to specify voltages and currents all the way through the circuit at all the times it was variable. When he got done with us we all understood how to use the tools and were to how to look for mistakes in other's calcs as a team.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by hookeye
Used to use some algebra and trig in my old job.
No calculus.

Hated Calc in college.
Got good at Calc 1.....by the end of Calc 2 LOL

I had 2 years of college calc. Second year* was hard. 30 years of designing power supplies and never used 2nd year calc once. Not even once!

* 2nd year calc has complicated formulas for the limits of integration.
Originally Posted by MILES58

If by advanced algebra were are still defining trig, this isn't really true

No, I'm defining advanced algebra the way a person with a PhD in math has seen it.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Trig is one of the more useful pieces of math in the real world. I went thru algebra and trigonometry in high school, calculus (1, 2 &3), linear algebra and differential equations in college. Don't remember much of any of that crap except some of the trig. The huge breakthrough for me was trig functions built into calculators and not having to look up trig tables in a book!

One example: Many decades ago in one of my Army OAC, they were running us back thru land navigation again. Gave us a list of grid coordinates we were supposed to plot on a map, then use stubby pencil/protractor to figure out distances and azimuths for the course we had to cover. I screwed with the instructor (CPT or MAJ??) by going to the trig functions and calculating the distances and azimuths instead. He asked what I was doing, I tried to explain, he just walked away shaking his head. Probably realized I had a better handle on maps and navigation that he did!
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I wish I’d paid more attention in Spanish Class.

I wish I would have taken Spanish class, but Spanish wasn't cool then so I had two years of French. Just so darn useful in everyday life.

I hated algebra and geometry classes.
math is racist , i am not congruent to anyone.
Originally Posted by persiandog

How about isomorphic?
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Trig is what kept the wannabes out of the Toolroom, most were terrified of it. If you know how to use a trig book and can solve a right triangle you've got it made. Never could understand Algebra, I always thought math was about numbers not an undecipherable alphabet soup.

How about isomorphic?

just a little , but not much.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Trig is what kept the wannabes out of the Toolroom, most were terrified of it. If you know how to use a trig book and can solve a right triangle you've got it made. Never could understand Algebra, I always thought math was about numbers not an undecipherable alphabet soup.

Think of it (loosely) this way: Equations are mathematical sentences about the relationships between knowns and unknowns. Algebra is the rule book for rewriting these sentences so unknowns may become known.
if ( 1 + 2 + 3 ) ^2 = 1 ^3 + 2 ^3 + 3 ^3 = 36 then

can you prove this true for all series ... 1 + 2 +3 + .. n
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I used Trig in the landing pattern to figure out if my pattern was going to be too wide or too close before it was too late to correct. Most of the flight students had good math backgrounds and when i showed the technique to students in a lecture or brief, now and then you could see their eyes light up and they’d start taking notes or say, “oh yeah, I remember that”.

Could also use it to calculate the 90 degree crosswind component in crosswind landings.

I’ve also used it to describe someone on occasion. “He was just a little different; he was about a quarter sine wave off” 😁
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

These are the basics of Trigonometry which is used heavily in surveying and engineering.

We will leave it there. What you dont know wont hurt you. Or give you a headache.

Why not use geometry to figure all those out instead of trig?

Your question is inadequately stated.

If the exponent of each term on the right hand side is to be the number of terms within the parentheses on the left then it does wrong at four.

(1+2+3+4)^2 = 100

but

1^4 + 2^4 +3^4 + 4^4 = 354
Originally Posted by Tyrone

It is my understanding: Trig is the geometry of triangles.

Am I wrong?

Your question is inadequately stated.

If the exponent of each term on the right hand side is to be the number of terms within the parentheses on the left then it does wrong at four.

(1+2+3+4)^2 = 100 but 1^4 + 2^4 +3^4 + 4^4 = 354
Sorry (1 + 2 +3 + .. n ) ^ 2= 1 ^3 + 2 ^3 + 3 ^3 + .... n ^3
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by Tyrone

It is my understanding: Trig is the geometry of triangles.

Am I wrong?
I think you are correct, but I don't see how it's needed very much. Most things can be reduced to a right triangle with the ground being the triangle's base. Then the Pythagorean Theorem calculates what you need.
You can even you that to calculate hold over/under when shooting slopes.
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

Pretty sure the ancient Greeks used it.

At least, some fellow named Pythagoras did. Mebbe others too, I dunno.
we really should find a better word for Algebra , may be : predetermination , predestination , fatalism
When I was about 18 I wanted to buy a truck....But I had no credit !!!!! I sine the papers and my dad had to cosine....
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
When I was about 18 I wanted to buy a truck....But I had no credit !!!!! I sine the papers and my dad had to cosine....
And your buddies couldn't keep their hands off. They all wanted to tangent.
Posted By: Scott_Thornley Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by MILES58

If by advanced algebra were are still defining trig, this isn't really true

No, I'm defining advanced algebra the way a person with a PhD in math has seen it.

I studied a tiny bit of linear algebra 40+ years ago, then took another peek at it A couple years ago in conjunction with the algorithms used in machine learning. But your comment to JeffO re: algebra using infinite dimensions let me know just how little I knew when it came to Algebra.
Posted By: shaman Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I got into navigation back in my mid-20s. I had a buddy who'd been Chief of the Boat on a 688 and originally started on Gato Class. A bunch of us would show up at my place and I had a room outfitted with all the fixings. In those days Apple had a Gato class sub simulator. It was primitive. If you didn't want to just play by the seat of your pants, you had to figure all the navigation problems the hard way.

I had chart paper, a glass window and grease pens, a couple K&E slipsticks with the right scales and all the dividers and such. Pat, my sub buddy would kibbitz and we'd run attack simulations using the info off the Apple.

I was good enough, when I was on the charts, to take simulated sightings on a convoy doing zig zags and plot the base course and then do an end-around that put me 1000 yards on their port quarter 6 hours later at last light. For Pat, it was like Old Home Week.

Pat's claim to fame was as a young LT on a Nautilus class exercising off the continental shelf off the Bahamas. He saw something on the chart that he didn't like, and started refiguring the position. All of a sudden, he yelled for a hard left turn that set everyone on their ear. There was a kerfuffle, and he had to do some fast talking. Bottom line: at a depth and speed that in the mid-80's he was still not able too disclose, his boat was less than a mile from running into the Continental shelf. After he proved his navigation to the chief and the captain, nothing more was ever said.

Pat is now in a home. I miss him at our parties tremendously. After his last gig on the 688s he became a Montesorri teacher.
Posted By: skfullen Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Originally Posted by cuznguido
Pie are square
Nope. Pie are round. Cornbread are square. Straight from the lips of Justin Wilson.
Well said. I was just reading the thread to make sure no one was going to say it before me!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

If you shoot far, you should have a little understanding about what cosine is. Also that is more a trig and geometry term, not "advanced algebra"..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

Good post. I used it a lot in the field as well. Always had my scientific calc in the tool bag along with the easy way a newer construction calculator. You mention A squared plus B squared= C squared: Pythagorean theorem is always a good thing to know when figuring out squares. Very essential when having to make square cuts on parts. I used a lot of math, even in the shipyards, building barges and tug boats. A lot of the guys didn't, they just kept their hoods down. "Stupid welders" you know. Especially where you were not building on the flat. If building on a slope, you needed to know how to expand measurements. A lot of schidt can be figured out mathematically. You just have to have a mind for it..
Posted By: bcp Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Algebra

Attached picture mathteacher.jpeg
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Way back when I was surveying, I used trig constantly. Maybe a bit of geometry and algebra for calculating earthwork volumes.

This was all before we had data collectors and earthwork software. It does all the knowing for you now.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I struggled with Algebra in high school, in the 60yrs. since I've never used it. I married a HS math teacher, I let her take care of all things numbers related.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
My second career having been in education, I think I am qualified to look back and say that most (not all) of my high school teachers and college professors were pretty poor teachers. When I was in high school, I barely made it through. I'd been forced to take all the math offered with no idea why. After the Navy, when, when I got into my tool and die apprenticeship, we had classes in such things as trigonometry and solid geometry. We'd study the stuff in class and go out in the shop and apply it. Suddenly it all made sense. Setting up compound angles on a magnetic sine chuck to grind a form tool brought it all into focus for me.

In later years, when I taught that stuff, I'd always begin teaching trigonometry by telling the students, "You can always trust a triangle." That statement got their attention and served as a good jumping off point for why we use trigonometry.
find a,b,c,d
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Yep .Opposite side of a triangle divided by the hypotenuse is the sine, adjacent side divided by hypotenuse is cosine to get the included angle. I use tangent more. Then you go to the trig tables to get the angle or work back from the angle if you already know that.
The advanced algebra is a mystery to me
Posted By: 1minute Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
Yes.
Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22

That's Trigonometry.
Posted By: Huncho Re: Advanced Algebra? - 07/28/22
I loved it in high school, What would you like to know.
CAD systems on a computer (Drawing)and surveying packages - use Analytic geometry or also called coordinate geometry of which every coordinate point is a product of a right angle -- thus -- trigonometry is part of the system---- Never got into 3D but it's got to be used in the Z axis
© 24hourcampfire