Home
Posted By: RockyRaab That Chinese Booster Rocket - 07/30/22
The booster that launched the Chinese space station segment will re-enter today. Some parts of it are expected to reach the surface. It passed over Salt Lake City about 10 minutes ago, so we're safe.

It is predicted to enter in about three hours. If that's accurate (and it could vary by as much as + or - an hour) it could hit ground in Thailand or even right back in China. There's a live Youtube channel tracking it, if you care to follow the event.

What if it splats down on Peking? Will they declare war on somebody?
If it hits anywhere in China, it might finally drive them to make the damn things controllable enough to re-enter in a planned area - like all other countries do.
Why don't they just land it on an autonomous ship?
Posted By: bcp Re: That Chinese Booster Rocket - 07/30/22
Tracking site:

https://aerospace.org/reentries/cz-5b-rb-id-53240

Bruce
Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's gonna come down in China, but that would be good karma.
How about DC
If it lands in my yard I'm returning that mutha
Posted By: Steve Re: That Chinese Booster Rocket - 07/30/22
Looks like Baja right now.
Damn it, it's gonna miss San Francisco.
No, it won't come down in the Baja. Predicted entry is about 90 minutes from now - one full orbit. That would have it landing in the Indian Ocean - or Thailand, or even southeast China. Actual reentry point ans impact depend on whether it is tumbling or not, orientation, and the sun's affect on the upper atmosphere. I other words, pure luck.
The vid you posted is showing a predicted entry. At the time of my post it was saying Baja. They've since moved it back out to the Pacific off SoCal and Baja.

Is it inaccurate?
Originally Posted by FatCity67
If it lands in my yard I'm returning that mutha

Nope.... I'll sell it to'em. Break it into little pieces and sell it on e-bay. Aint giving them nothing.
Steve, the entry point marks where it begins to see atmosphere, not where it lands. It could travel another 10,000 miles after that entry point.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Steve, the entry point marks where it begins to see atmosphere, not where it lands. It will travel another 10,000 miles after that entry point.

Got it. Thanks!
If you're watching, it may have just started reentry. If so, it MIGHT land near the tip of Baja.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If you're watching, it may have just started reentry. If so, it MIGHT land near the tip of Baja.

wink
As long as my source for Cabo Wabo isn't 'impacted'.
Link RR posted has video of re-entry breakup. pretty cool.
If the posted video is valid, it entered earlier than expected, over Malaysia. That would put the impact zone in the Pacific east of Japan, well clear of anywhere densely populated.
additional vids being posted, 1st one was best imo.
© 24hourcampfire